PDA

View Full Version : 10/6-10/11 Dining Reviews- Preface and Day 1

Hammer
10-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Our group was at WDW from 10/6-10/11. Please see my accommodations review here (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=201941) and my review of MagicBand/FastPass+here (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=201871). Some things to know about how our group (my mother, my sister and I) dines:
1) We prefer to predominantly eat at table service restaurants while on vacation, be it Disney or anywhere else. Both my sister and I work in major metropolitan cities (New York and Philadelphia) where we have the opportunity to eat at almost any kind of counter service food option, so the counter service options at Disney aren’t that unique to us. We like to have someone brings us our food when on vacation. Don’t get me wrong, Disney’s counter service choices are tasty, but we only eat at a couple places out of nostalgia.
2) We are fans of eating at signature restaurants. We each order different appetizers, entrees and desserts and everyone samples each other’s choices. We were raised to be adventurous eaters and still are to this day. We like a chicken strip and mac and cheese every so often, but not with any regularity. My parents always encouraged us to try new foods and my Mom would not make special meals for us. You eat like the rest of the family. As an adult, I am exceptionally grateful they did that.
3) We take our time eating a meal. We usually take 2 hours per sit down meal. Dining is one of the primary experiences of a vacation for us. The worst thing a server can do is try to rush us along.
4) We aren't big fans of eating at buffets or character meals. We eat at one of these places at WDW maybe once every 3 years.
5) We are a family of foodies. I look at my meals anywhere, even WDW, with that in mind. I do not accept the idea that just because you are at a “family” resort, the food should not be judged with a less critical eye.
6) As you’ll read in my accommodations review, my Mom was taking daily IV antibiotics each afternoon, so she could not have any alcohol this trip, though she did have a sip of my Grand Marnier Slushie as she loves them (as do I) :marg: (think of this as orange like the slushie :) ).

So, after that lengthy preface, here are my reviews:

Sunday, October 6,2013- Narcoossee’s dinner 5:45
It is tradition for us to eat at Narcoossee’s every trip to WDW. It is probably our favorite table service restaurant at WDW and is probably on our list of favorite restaurants anywhere. We arrived 20 minutes late due to issues with AKL Bell Services, but the guest services manager called ahead for us to hold our ADR spot and we were seated within 10 minutes of our arrival. Ordered drinks at the bar while waiting, but our favorite bartender, Sergio, was off that night.
Once again, Narcoossee’s was wonderful. For our appetizer, my sister and I each ordered the barbecue shrimp and grits and Mom had the lobster bisque; both which were delicious. The grits were nice and creamy and the barbecue sauce on the shrimp was a nice accompaniment. Mom’s lobster bisque was tasty with a nice amount of lobster included. For our main course, my sister had the whole Maine lobster, I had the butter poached lobster tail with filet mignon and Mom had the Ashley Farms chicken Roulade. Lobster was tasty and the filet was cooked exactly the way I like it (medium rare on the rare side). Mom’s chicken was really tasty and a surprise hit, as I never have high expectations for chicken dishes at nicer restaurants as they usually aren't very creative. For dessert, we split the baked chocolate mousse and it was good, but does not surpass the almond crusted cheesecake. There were leftovers, which my Mom had for lunch one day in our DVC villa.

VWL Mom
10-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Sounds like a great start. Narcoossee's is one of our favorites. Their Lobster Bisque is outstanding. Glad your mom made good use of the leftovers!

SBETigg
10-29-2013, 07:08 PM
We were not allowed to be picky eaters, and my parents also encouraged us to be adventurous. I'm still an adventurous eater and a foodie. And similar to you, I rarely order chicken but my daughter got the chicken at Narcoossee's and we were all really pleasantly surprised. It's a very good dish.

And we love Sergio! Too bad it was his day off.

Scar
10-29-2013, 09:33 PM
We each order different appetizers, entrees and desserts and everyone samples each other’s choices.

For our appetizer, my sister and I each ordered the barbecue shrimp and grits

Didn't think I was paying attention did you. ;)

SBETigg
10-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Didn't think I was paying attention did you. ;)

Ah, I missed that. :funny:

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Awesome, this is one of the restaurants I plan to try on our next trip. Was the whole lobster really good? Got to try that cheesecake

amorillo
10-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Our vacations are just as much about the food as it is about the rides too! We haven't tried Narcoossee's yet, but it's on our list for our upcoming trip! Can't wait!

SBETigg
10-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Awesome, this is one of the restaurants I plan to try on our next trip. Was the whole lobster really good? Got to try that cheesecake

I've had the whole lobster at Narcoossee's. It is good, a delicious Maine lobster. I prefer it to the warm water tail that comes with the surf and turf. But, because I'm in New England and close to great lobster, it isn't something I would get again. I would choose a more creative culinary dish. The lobster is fairly basic, because that's really all you want when it's great lobster. And if you don't have much chance to get lobster, it's a treat.

SurferStitch
10-30-2013, 12:20 PM

The whole lobster is AH-mazing! I love that it comes cracked and prepped... ready to dig into!

The almond crusted cheesecake is even more AAAAHHHH-MAAAAZING!! The almonds are slivered thin and perfectly sugared. Oh, and the Lambert cherry sauce on top.... :cloud9:. Even if we're too stuffed after dinner to eat it, we always get two to go!