PDA

View Full Version : California Grill

merciantinkerbell
10-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Anyone tried the new California Grill yet? Today is Hubby's 49th birthday and he mentioned over dinner tonight that next year he would like his birthday dinner in the California Grill with fireworks! Just wondering what the new menu is like.

faline
10-27-2013, 04:22 PM
Now that I think about it, I haven't really seen any reviews since it reopened. Hopefully, someone who has eaten here recently will be along soon!

SBETigg
10-27-2013, 04:44 PM
I've seen reviews on food blogs and the menu is not all that changed from what it was. If you want a good idea, but not an exact menu, look to old menus. California Grill has always been a place with frequent menu changes anyway, depending on seasonal availability of fresh ingredients. Very few dishes were menu staples and even the menu staples tend to change accompaniments according to season. The basic menu idea seems much the same.

*If you Google California Grill, you will come up with the new menu, offered on different sites. Just double-checked to be sure. Happy birthday to your husband!

Pirate Granny
10-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Tasty but expensive. My daughter had sushi, I had the steak, no alcohol, bill was $145. We did have dessert...and the side order of beets was wonderful...and I am not a foodie. I eat to live, not live to eat! But I'm still thinking about those beets!!!!!

merciantinkerbell
10-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks all! Not too bothered about price - although Victoria and Albert's price is out of our range - as long as food quality and taste reflect this. Will check menu when gets near to our 180 day mark.

VWL Mom
10-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Here is the current California Grill Menu (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/contemporary-resort/california-grill/menus/)

mechanic
10-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Prices aren't too bad.
last ate there in 2000 at Christmas time it was $120 for two. No drinks.

Middle of the Map
11-08-2013, 04:40 PM
I ate there last November and honestly don't remember what I had for dinner. My daughter and I shared a dessert and the bill came to about $120 with tip. We didn't order any drinks other than coffee and water, and the service was a little spotty. I never saw him so I could get refills on my coffee after he served dessert.

The location is splendid, but the food does not match the setting IMHO. I loved walking outside to see the fireworks, but next time I'll just order dessert and coffee rather than a whole meal.

BugeyedMuggy
11-11-2013, 04:25 PM
We ate there Oct 31 ,2013 . We had a terrible experience a couple of years back as far as very poor service and cold food. We decided to try it again and had the newly added room which only holds about 6 or 7 tables with a table at the window. Very nice for 2 adults because it had no children and was romantic. Unfortunately the service was poor and the food was moderate. Still feel you are paying for the view of the fireworks.

merciantinkerbell
11-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Hmmmmmmmm..... have to check reviews when comes to our ADR time in April. Being from the UK and not used to tipping, we will tip for good service but object a little to paying that much for a meal and have to tip for poor/average service. What is the going rate for tipping these days? We're never sure.:confused:

faline
11-12-2013, 06:12 PM
What is the going rate for tipping these days? We're never sure.:confused:

Typically 15-20%. If you have a Tables in Wonderland card, an 18% gratuity will automatically be added to your bill. This is also true if you are dining with a large party.

big blue and hairy
11-12-2013, 07:34 PM
DW and I love the old California Grill, so we were very interested in trying the new California Grill. I must say, it did not disappoint. Our service was very good, the food as always was superb, as was the wine, which is on display throughout the restaurant. The redo is beautiful and it still ranks as our favorite restaurant at WDW.

:sulley:

avaross09
11-28-2013, 08:43 AM
I love old California grill, Yet I haven't tried new. but I would like to try it.

big blue and hairy
12-08-2013, 06:46 PM
I love old California grill, Yet I haven't tried new. but I would like to try it.

I can't think of anything you love about old CG that's not at new CG.

:sulley: