PDA

View Full Version : The Facts*: FP+, MDE, MagicBand, NexGen (*as I see them!)

Goofy4TheWorld
10-23-2013, 07:15 PM
I wanted to start a thread which simply put out there the technical facts and experiences about this monster. I just returned from WDW, tested the MagicBands and FP+, and have taken that experience (including a chat with a CM that seemed to understand the mechanics of it all), plus the information scattered around the Intercot boards, and assembled the following information. It is long and probably boring to many people, so be warned.

Now, please move all the way down to the end of the row filling it all available space…

Everyone, whether they are staying on-site or off-site, have old non-expiring tickets they plan to use in the future, have tickets booked as part of a package reservation, or have Annual Passes (APs), are entitled to link their tickets to the My Disney Experience (MDE) account. Everyone will eventually be able to book FP+ reservations, but it appears only people who have a reservation at a Disney hotel get to book FP+ reservations in advance. In addition, you not only have to have a resort reservation, you also have to have a valid park pass linked to your MDE account to book FP+ selections in advance. It appears, based on Intercot postings, that “valid park pass” does not mean a voucher. If you buy a ticket (MYW or AP) and receive an exchange voucher for that purchase, you do not have tickets yet and so that voucher is useless as far as your MDE account. However, if you have the tickets placed at the Will Call desk, it appears whatever confirmation number you get from that transaction will work in the MDE account.

While all tickets can eventually be linked to your MDE (and thus open up your access to FP+ reservations if you are also staying on property), some old tickets do not have enough numbers printed on them that allow you to link those tickets to your MDE account yourself. My speculative observation is that if you have tickets that date back prior to the Magic Your Way ticket structure (which began in early 2005) then you cannot link those tickets at home, but you CAN link those tickets to your MDE account once you present those tickets to a Disney ticketing CM (The MDE website says “This ticket cannot be converted online. Please bring the ticket to any Walt Disney World Resort ticketing location for assistance”). I am sure there are some other types of ticket compatibility issues from 2005 thru 2009 tickets, I am just not aware of them. However, because the MDE website says “Don't see your ticket above? For tickets purchased before 2010, click here” I assume that ALL tickets sold in 2010 to now are MDE compatible and can be linked from the comfort of your home.

Now that we have the ticketing covered, the bands…

The MagicBands (MBs) are nothing more than a wireless serial number, the bands do not “have tickets” on them or “have charging privileges”. The bands have a 16 digit numeric serial number on them, and once you scan your band the magical MagicBand server looks up your information stored on either the resort information system or the ticketing information system (and also your PhotoPass account).

The resort information system contains your room number, your dining plan entitlements, and your charging privilege status, and so having your resort reservation linked in your MDE online account is what allows the MBs to open your room door, access your DDP credits, or charge to your room account. There are a few ways to link your resort reservation to your MDE account, but the easiest is to log on to your MDE account and follow the steps on the website for linking a resort using either your 12-digit numeric confirmation number for a room-only reservation OR your 8-digit alphanumeric confirmation number for a package reservation. While linking the resort reservation via the website is easiest, you definitely can have the Concierge Desk at your resort do it for you (but you have to wait in line to do it). I am not sure if the Check-In desk can also link the resort confirmation to your MDE account or not. I also believe that any Guest Services CM can link the resorts confirmation for you as well.

I had an issue with an “extra day” reservation where my new KTTK cards were accidentally deactivated by a CM, and that resulted in my MBs not opening my door either. I lack an explanation as to why the KTTK deactivation broke the link to my MBs opening the door, but it did, and was only fixed (after 3 trips to the front desk) when my KTTK cards were re-printed. I am just throwing that out there, since there is some back-door linking of KTTK cards to MBs, but the only way you can do it yourself is to use your resort confirmation number.

The ticketing system stores your park pass entitlements, and the MDE account automatically links your tickets from your resort confirmation IF you buy tickets from Disney as part of that resort reservation. If you buy your tickets elsewhere, you have to manually link them, as discussed earlier.

The PhotoPass photographers can now scan your band to store your tickets, but I am not sure how the systems are linked. The PhotoPass system somehow matches your bands to either your ticket data or your resort data (probably the ticket system now that I think about it), but I never did figure out the details of how that link occurred, but mine linked with no effort on my part.

So you have three independent systems at Disney (Resort, Ticketing, and PhotoPass) that continue to operate as independent systems, but the My Disney Experience system links them all together and then links that link to your MagicBands. Of course the MBs only work if YOU link the three systems together yourself (only reservations made on the Disney website are automatically linked in MDE).

So who gets a MagicBand? Who gets FP+? Who killed Roger Rabbit? All questions which remain murky, but my analysis is this:

Right now, you get a MagicBand for everyone in your party (even infants) every time you make a reservation at a participating Disney resort (which is about to become ALL Disney resorts at the end of October). Buying park passes of any kind does not get you bands, staying on property gets you bands. I see no technical reason that you cannot use a MB for multiple visits, the system allowed me to use the bands on 3 separate reservations over 7 days, so if it will let me do that I see no reason an AP holder cannot use their band over and over. Heck, if I understand it all correctly, I could unlink my band and give it to a friend to link on their MDE account and use the MB for their own trip to WDW where they are staying offsite and buying tickets from the OTC. That part is pure speculation (the part about moving bands to different MDE accounts) but the system definitely allows you to link multiple reservations.

The ticket component of the bands follows the same rules ticketing has always followed, so if you buy Non-Expiring tickets, those tickets (which don’t exist on the bands themselves, only on a Disney ticketing computer an perhaps the plastic card that your ticket originally came on) will work forever, and as long as you have those tickets linked in your MDE account, those tickets can be accessed using your band years down the road. If you have non-expiring tickets linked on your MDE that you do not want to use on your next trip, simply unlink the tickets from your MDE and then you can re-link them later when you actually want to use them (just don’t loose track of the non-expiring ticket’s NUMBERS!)

The benefit of a band for someone not staying on-site is that the band can be used at park entrances and at FastPass entrances. Of course the $64,000 question is….when do I get to book my FP+ experiences????

If you are not currently staying at a Disney resort, you cannot book your FP+ experiences until your MDE-linked ticket has been used for entrance to a park. So your bookings are made the day-of. This is true no matter what type of ticket you have, even AP holders.

If you are staying on Disney property, and you have linked BOTH a resort confirmation and a valid park pass, then you can book your FP+ somewhere around 60 days out. Once you have both room and tickets linked, the FP+ page opens up for you to select dates, but I am not sure what the restrictions are on what dates you have to use. However, what I do know is that the number of days equals the number of park days you have on your park pass, so even though I had a resort booked for only 5 nights, the moment I added a 6th day to my 5-day passes the MDE website allowed me to book those FP+ experiences for the 6th day. When I only had 5-day passes, I was limited to 5 days worth of FP+ selections. Something I noticed when my 6th day opened up, I was actually able to select dates well beyond the 6 days I was staying. I am not sure what the criteria is, but you do not have to book your FP+ on consecutive days, as I matter of fact the system allowed me to book FP+ selection at least 21 days apart even though my tickets would only be valid for 14 days from first use. So I speculate that you could buy 10-day park passes, stay on-site one night and get FP+ reservations for 10 days even if you stayed off-site the other 9 days. Nothing I saw with my use of the MDE app prevented me from doing that. But that part is PURE speculation on my part, and if true I am sure has some limit to how far away your FP+ reservation can be from your resort stay.

Finally, it was the Judge that killed Roger Rabbit, right?

So there you have it, for whatever its worth, my evaluation of the system. I am sure it is FILLED with typos and grammatical errors, and also probably contains a few facts that aren’t true at all, so everyone fell free to correct the record or call me an idiot, this can be our little MDE, FP+, NextGen Wikipedia page.

Now, be sure collect your personal belongings, exit to your right, and have a Magical Day!

faline
10-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Thanks for sharing!

gerald72
10-24-2013, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the Roger Rabbit spoiler.....
And for the info.

Goofy4TheWorld
10-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the Roger Rabbit spoiler.....

Ooops, I guess I should have put that part in white-font spoiler alert! :blush:

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Thanks. This really helped ... I wasn't one of the "participating resorts" on my last trip, so I'm still a Magic Band newbie.

Super interesting. :)

cer
10-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Very good, very good...

Spoiler Alert!!!!!

Roger Rabbit wasn't killed.....he was framed. :D

Goofy4TheWorld
10-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Very good, very good...

Spoiler Alert!!!!!

Roger Rabbit wasn't killed.....he was framed. :D

Oh my, I am ashamed to admit that I COMPLETELY missed that, and to this day I still say "Plplplplpleeeeeeeaseeeeee" all this time!

:bang:

gottaluvtink
10-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the info! I am living the personal nightmare of the whole system right now. My daughter and I go to DW every year, and of all years, we are going this year with a group of 21. this includes 5 separate reservations. Linking all this together, has been a full time job. After several calls to Disney, I am hoping we finally have it right and when the time comes to make all the fast passes, it all works out. Certainly not an easy system if you have more than one reservation.

Crow
10-25-2013, 02:40 PM
thanks...
now im wondering. I have a trip booked for December. Theres a chance my gf cant go now. If I input my tickets to the band and she ends up not going...how is this going to effect things.

Goofy4TheWorld
10-25-2013, 03:00 PM
thanks...
now im wondering. I have a trip booked for December. Theres a chance my gf cant go now. If I input my tickets to the band and she ends up not going...how is this going to effect things.

It depends.

Are the tickets already purchased and in your possession? Or are the tickets are part of a package reservation? Her not going should not affect your tickets unless your tickets are part of a package reservation and you end of canceling that reservation if she does not go.

Ian
10-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Thanks for putting this together. Great info!

I just have to ask, though ... did anyone besides me look at the length and complexity of that post and just think to themselves, "This is a vacation. Nothing should take that much effort to explain on a vacation." :(

cer
10-25-2013, 03:32 PM

I just have to ask, though ... did anyone besides me look at the length and complexity of that post and just think to themselves, "This is a vacation. Nothing should take that much effort to explain on a vacation." :(

Yes.

I love the Magic Band concept (even though I have not tried them), I think that is a step in a positive direction. Linking your tickets, room key, charging privileges and photopass to one thing. I like it.

BUT

Fastpass + just seems like one HUGE headache. :ill:

Fangorn
10-25-2013, 04:38 PM

Agreed!

While the concept of having a wearable device that links all the various aspects of a Disney vacation together and lets the computers do all the work, is a laudable one, this (unfortunately, like a lot of other TDO "improvements" lately) has all the markings of a project where the actual implementation wasn't thought through all the way.

I'm leaving for a trip to Disneyland in 6 days and I'm really glad I don't have to put up with this stuff while I'm there. It's a vacation. I shouldn't have to work harder at that than I do at my job (which includes, among other things, a LOT of project management).

Steve

Ltmoko
10-25-2013, 08:16 PM
The only thing I found odd with my reservation is; I have linked my resort resy and dining resy. What's weird is I have assigned 8 day PH to my party but I have not purchased them yet. So how did I get to make my FP+ selections? Lucky, I don't know!!!

Goofy4TheWorld
10-25-2013, 08:54 PM
The only thing I found odd with my reservation is; I have linked my resort resy and dining resy. What's weird is I have assigned 8 day PH to my party but I have not purchased them yet. So how did I get to make my FP+ selections? Lucky, I don't know!!!

My guess is that you have a "Package Reservation" with Disney (which means you have an 8-digit confirmation number that contains both numbers and letters) and all package reservations must include park tickets of some kind.

If you do not have a package reservation, but have only a room-only reservation (12-digit confirmation number with only numbers) Disney may have sold you tickets as part of that reservation (although I think you would have had to pay for the tickets in full right then if you did that) and thus automatically linked those tickets to your resort reservation.

If you truly do not have tickets reserved for you in one of those two scenarios, then you are indeed an oddity with no explanation. :shrug:

But my guess is you have a package reservation that included 8-day PH tickets.

EDIT:
Ooops, I now see in your signature that you are going on DVC points, so I am not too familiar with how that works when you pre-purchase tickets (especially if you stay on points but want a dining plan).

What exactly are you reserving? Dining plan? Annual pass?

Crow
10-26-2013, 01:52 AM
It depends.

Are the tickets already purchased and in your possession? Or are the tickets are part of a package reservation? Her not going should not affect your tickets unless your tickets are part of a package reservation and you end of canceling that reservation if she does not go.

tickets purchases separately and I have them now. I have a room only reservations for 3 diff Dis resorts.

stephicakes
10-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Question for my peeps :):

We are staying at BC in 87 days so I know I can't book our FP+ yet, but how soon should I be able to select our MBs? On MDE it only gives me information about them but nowhere is there an option to select them yet. Any thoughts or suggestions? Or am I jumping the gun..?

thanks!
steph :D

Ltmoko
10-26-2013, 09:11 AM
I am staying on my DVC points. I have 5 day PH I am going to upgrade when I arrive. Thats why I did not link my passes yet!

Dream'nDisney
10-26-2013, 09:51 AM
I for one am excited about the new system. If I understand the system, we will get to choose (correct me if I'm wrong) three FPs per day ahead of time. This will mean that we won't have to stress about racing to the first attraction we want to get a FP for and then racing to another attraction to ride standby, going back to use our FP, and then racing to get our next FP, etc.

Goofy4TheWorld
10-26-2013, 02:22 PM
tickets purchases separately and I have them now. I have a room only reservations for 3 diff Dis resorts.

Then your GFs tickets will simply remain inactivated and her FP+ selections will simply go unused. I suspect that you could "unlink" her tickets from your MDE account and free up her FP+ reservations for someone else to use, but I am not sure of the details about that part. Maybe the MDE site allows you to cancel all FP+ reservations for only one ticket?

Either way, you will not lose her tickets or your FP+ reservations as long as you make sure you use the ticket designated for YOU on the MDE website for YOUR admission to the park (do not get yours and hers switched).

Goofy4TheWorld
10-26-2013, 02:44 PM
I am staying on my DVC points. I have 5 day PH I am going to upgrade when I arrive. Thats why I did not link my passes yet!

Did you book a dining plan with you Points reservation?

If no dining plan was booked then you may have just won the Lake Buena Vista town raffle for this year!

LVT
10-26-2013, 06:22 PM
There are 21 day ticket options abroad, correct?
That may be why the FT+ is that way.
However there are annual passes so ??

Ltmoko
10-26-2013, 08:01 PM
No dining plan!!! Maybe I got lucky!

Crow
10-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Then your GFs tickets will simply remain inactivated and her FP+ selections will simply go unused. I suspect that you could "unlink" her tickets from your MDE account and free up her FP+ reservations for someone else to use, but I am not sure of the details about that part. Maybe the MDE site allows you to cancel all FP+ reservations for only one ticket?

Either way, you will not lose her tickets or your FP+ reservations as long as you make sure you use the ticket designated for YOU on the MDE website for YOUR admission to the park (do not get yours and hers switched).
I didn't link the tickets yet til I knew for sure. looks like she wont b going cause then she would have to give up chance at ft job where she is working pt. so I have to see if im going still or what.

Crow
10-30-2013, 02:46 PM
well she is not going. and the MagicBands are about to ship. So now I guess I will get my band and lick ticket to it, then if my friend goes will have to get one at the resort. the next question will be booking the FP+ since only one of us will have the bands ahead of time.

lawgirl
10-30-2013, 09:16 PM
So is everyone who is staying at a Disney resort from this date on going to get the invite to do the magic bands? Or is it still in test mode? We are going in Dec and I got the email invite, so we are all signed up. Just curious if everyone is getting these, or just a test group.

Goofy4TheWorld
10-30-2013, 09:48 PM
There are 21 day ticket options abroad, correct?
That may be why the FT+ is that way.
However there are annual passes so ??

I am really hoping an AP holder with a resort reservation booked for the next 60 days will post how far beyond their checkout day are they allowed to book FP+ reservations for. Since they are not limited by a set number of days on a park pass I assume there is a limit, or there is a giant loop hole!

Goofy4TheWorld
10-30-2013, 09:55 PM
So is everyone who is staying at a Disney resort from this date on going to get the invite to do the magic bands? Or is it still in test mode? We are going in Dec and I got the email invite, so we are all signed up. Just curious if everyone is getting these, or just a test group.

Only the Enchanted Tiki Gods know for sure!

It was reported that Disney resorts were ending the old style KTTK cards (and original paper Fastpasses) on October 27. One would assume that means everyone will have a band in its place, and everyone will have access to FP+ reservations.

Apparently everyone at WDW right now must be spending all of their Internet time making FP reservations, as nobody has yet to post confirmation of the October 27 conversion.

My guess, testing will continue into December with 95% of guests participating, and Disney will keep both FP and FP+ going at the same time through all of 2013. At least that what a bus driver told me! :bus:

NJGIRL
10-31-2013, 10:52 AM

Just got back from the most stressful Disney vacation I have ever had. ALL fast passes for every ride at Hollywood Studios and EPCOT were gone by 10 in the morning, if not sooner.... We had our annual passes (paper) and had to wait everyday for someone to pull us aside after waiting in line and then show a picture ID! No immediate plans to return to Disney until this mess is sorted out. The days of getting a fast pass after arriving at the parks is gone. You must now plan what park you are going to, where and what time you want to eat, what rides and what time you want to do them, what parades you want to see......next up how many times you want to use their restrooms and the exact locations you want to use.

minnie04
10-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Just got back from the most stressful Disney vacation I have ever had. ALL fast passes for every ride at Hollywood Studios and EPCOT were gone by 10 in the morning, if not sooner.... We had our annual passes (paper) and had to wait everyday for someone to pull us aside after waiting in line and then show a picture ID! No immediate plans to return to Disney until this mess is sorted out. The days of getting a fast pass after arriving at the parks is gone. You must now plan what park you are going to, where and what time you want to eat, what rides and what time you want to do them, what parades you want to see......next up how many times you want to use their restrooms and the exact locations you want to use.

:ditto:

Crow
11-01-2013, 04:55 PM
got my magicband. but I don't want to make FP+ in case I change resort reservations. and til I see who is going.

Crow
11-06-2013, 10:50 AM
now if I wait to link my ticket til I get there, how likely is it that I will get FP. I may use a discounted military pass instead of the ones I ordered. and the other person may buy a Fl resident annual pass. I would still like to be able to get other fastpasses too if they are available. and I don't plan my days down to what time im gonna be at what ride.

NJGIRL
11-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Two weeks ago there were no fast passes after 9:30 / 10:00 at Disney Studios (sunday) and EPCOT (monday).

AP holders could NOT get fast passes in advance at that point.

Don't count on getting them that day.

We were able to get them at the Magic Kingdom.

Kenny1113
11-06-2013, 12:08 PM
now if I wait to link my ticket til I get there, how likely is it that I will get FP. I may use a discounted military pass instead of the ones I ordered. and the other person may buy a Fl resident annual pass. I would still like to be able to get other fastpasses too if they are available. and I don't plan my days down to what time im gonna be at what ride.

I was hesitant to purchase my tix in advance as well I finally did it as it looks like everything is set. I booked FP+ with 10days left before trip, lots of times available for rides. The only things gone were the preferred viewing locations for fireworks and parade (at MK).

Hopefully some one who has experienced day of will reply. If not I will check day of, when we get there and report back.

Crow
11-16-2013, 12:21 PM
so I may start booking FP+ but my friend may get a military pass when we get there..and then hopefully link it, but what if no FP selections are available at that point.
I am staying at 3 diff resorts, received 2 sets of magicbands....so I guess I have to take both of them...idk

Dream'nDisney
11-17-2013, 10:39 AM
I haven't purchased our MYW tickets yet because I'm waiting to see if any packages come out for the beginning of June. If no packages come out, I should make sure I purchase the MYW tickets prior to 60 days out, link them to MDE, so that at the 60 day mark, I can make my FP+ requests. Is that correct? I want to make sure we pick our FP's as soon as we can so that we get the ones we want.

GottaLvDisney
11-17-2013, 09:37 PM
It's been 2 years since we were at WDW & here I am planning our trip for next October. So far, I have a headache from reading all about the new MBs and FB+ system. Thank goodness I have time to figure it all out & hopefully by next fall WDW will have worked out the kinks as well.

It certainly isn't as enticing having to think so much about what I'll be doing from day to day so far in advance.

Goofy4TheWorld
11-17-2013, 09:39 PM
I haven't purchased our MYW tickets yet because I'm waiting to see if any packages come out for the beginning of June. If no packages come out, I should make sure I purchase the MYW tickets prior to 60 days out, link them to MDE, so that at the 60 day mark, I can make my FP+ requests. Is that correct? I want to make sure we pick our FP's as soon as we can so that we get the ones we want.

Yes, you will need to have tickets purchased and linked by the 60-day mark, but remember that you must also be staying on Disney property and have your resort reservation linked on MDE as well.

Dream'nDisney
11-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Yes, you will need to have tickets purchased and linked by the 60-day mark, but remember that you must also be staying on Disney property and have your resort reservation linked on MDE as well.

Thanks. I already have our resort reservations linked and each person linked so I just need link the tickets once I buy them. Thanks

spoiledraf
11-19-2013, 10:06 AM

While I feel for you and the changes this system forces you to make in your style of touring, I think the majority of Disney visitors will take kindly to knowing in advance they don't have to be at the gates at rope drop to ride TSM. They don't have to send a runner from one end of the park to the other for Expedition Everest and the Safari. Under the new system, I can get breakfast at 9:30, get to Epcot at 11 and ride Soarin at 11:30. To me, that is so much more laid back than the race to the FP kiosk. In the end, we will all adjust to the planning involved, just like we all plan around high crowd levels, room discounts and free dining.

I know people who have reservations to go to Disney who never heard of a fast pass. They don't realize you need to make a reservation for CRT 180 days in advance...if your lucky enough to get through. They don't know what the dining plan is and are shocked when they get a bill for $200 for a family of four (plus tip) when they have character breakfast at Cape May Café. (provided they could even get in without a reservation) Disney is complicated. If you don't know your way around, you in deep doo doo.

This is new. We'll all adjust and Disney will adjust. They have already postponed the full roll out due to guest input. Changes will be made. Things will improve and in the end Walt Disney World will again be The Happiest Place on Earth. :number1: