PDA

View Full Version : iPad Mini Question

Mr. Brass Bonanza
10-23-2013, 11:38 AM
The screen to my iPad Mini cracked and we don't have a warrenty for it. I went to the Apple store and they said the only way to "repair" it is to get a brand new one, and they can do that for $219. Lucky me!

So...is Apple lying to me or is there a way to get the screen repaired from a mom and pop shop? I have a special engraving on the back and I don't want to lose that, in addition to feeding Apple my money. Thanks.

VWL Mom
10-23-2013, 11:50 AM
If you intent is to keep the engraved part then there are places that will repair it for you, even some online. If you looking to do it to save money the cost of the screen is not the issue but the way they put it on. If you have a local place it can't hurt to see what they will do for you and what they would charge. Good luck!

princessgirls
10-23-2013, 12:05 PM
I just recently passed a kiosk in the mall that touts repairing broken screens for the Iphones and Pads.

It was less than $50 bucks.

Julie:mickey:

paymerich
10-23-2013, 12:59 PM
less than $50 ? I find that hard to believe but .. I paid $99( mom and pop) to replace my ipad 2 screen last year. Is it possible there is more damage than just the glass ? if so then the $219 is about right .

MNNHFLTX
10-23-2013, 01:11 PM
less than $50 ? I find that hard to believe but .. I paid $99( mom and pop) to replace my ipad 2 screen last year. Is it possible there is more damage than just the glass ? if so then the $219 is about right .Yes, cracked iPad and iPhone screens are relatively inexpensive to repair, at least compared to how much it used to be. I even see companies offering groupons for it for $25 or so. Not so sure about the mini iPads--seems like the newer the device the higher the price to have it repaired.

1DisneyNut
10-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Its actually pretty easy to do yourself if you are somewhat mechanical. You can buy the screens on ebay or amazon for $15 to $35 and they usually come with the tools you need. The trick is the little "zip" tool that you get in between the screen and the bezel to "zip" the screen out with. Once you have it out of the bezel, it is simple.

I am sure there are youtube how to videos you could watch but it is extremely simple. The first time I ever took the screen out of an ipod it only took me maybe 2 or 3 minutes.

Mr. Brass Bonanza
10-24-2013, 09:08 AM
This is very useful information! Thank you all. :thumbsup:

So that Apple employee was flat-out lying to my face. Nice!

1DisneyNut
10-24-2013, 11:41 AM
So that Apple employee was flat-out lying to my face. Nice!

Yes, basically or just ignorant of the fact they can be repaired easily. I can't imagine someone working there doesn't know they can be repaired. They probably aren't allowed to discuss it since they do not repair them and they are required to pitch replacing it instead.