PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Disney Set to Roll Out Four Food Trucks

Figment!
10-21-2013, 08:35 PM
The Walt Disney World resort has announced more details about the "Food Truck Row" section of the Disney Springs project:

Dates Set to Roll Out Food Trucks at Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World Resort

by Pam Brandon, Disney Parks Food Writer
The Official Disney Parks Blog
October 21st, 2013

Starting early November, Disney will roll out four fun new Disney Food Trucks at Downtown Disney, open Wednesday through Sunday, parked at Downtown Disney West Side near Cirque du Soleil and House of Blues.

Superstar Catering, “Favorite of the Stars of Disney’s Hollywood Studios,” features delectable variations on hearty meatballs: a spinach and feta beef meatball sandwich; turkey sausage and golden raisin meatballs on polenta; and a lamb meatball flatbread with tzatziki. And meatball sliders for kids. The truck’s design is stainless steel with teal, tan and orange accents – think sleek, retro, 1930s Art Deco diner.

Namaste Café, “Tasty Explorations from Disney’s Animal Kingdom,” serves irresistible butter chicken, slow-cooked beef short ribs and tandoori spiced shrimp, all served with basmati rice, naan and pickled veggies. This is the most colorfully decorated truck of all, with art inspired by the colors and textures of Asia in Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

The bright-red Fantasy Fare truck, “Delightful Dishes from Disney’s Magic Kingdoms Around the World,” brings the legendary hand-dipped corn dogs of Disneyland Resort to the East Coast. Also a Croque Monsieur with housemade chips from Magic Kingdom Park and glass noodle salad with chicken and pickled veggies representing Hong Kong Disneyland. The truck is designed with down-home appeal and a nod to the past.

World Showcase of Flavors truck, “The Best of the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival,” offers fest favorites: lobster rolls, pierogies and kielbasa and grass-fed beef sliders. Vintage travel stickers decorate the big green truck.

buzznwoodysmom
10-21-2013, 09:15 PM
This sounds like something my family will enjoy. We love the many food trucks in our city, and have enjoyed food trucks in various places we have visited!

GAN
10-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Food Trucks are great, but Disney diving into it somehow ruins the whole idea for me ...can't they leave anything alone? I guess I'm not that excited about it -maybe it's the whole "Big" business stealing the small business idea thing.

Scar
10-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Interesting that this comes just a few months after the Rutgers Grease Trucks were kicked out.

BrerGnat
10-22-2013, 08:44 AM
The main problem with these is that they are NOT food trucks. They are just more Disney CS locations behind the facade of a truck. There is nothing unique about them.

1DisneyNut
10-22-2013, 09:59 AM
The main problem with these is that they are NOT food trucks. They are just more Disney CS locations behind the facade of a truck. There is nothing unique about them.

^^^This was my exact thought.

Arielfan98
10-22-2013, 08:20 PM
I must say I applaud Disney with coming up more ways to advertise their parks and the food sounds delicious :thumbsup:

Crow
10-23-2013, 12:20 AM
so would you eat here instead of DD places..I know that I have had good experiences at Raglan Rd and Paradiso last few times..so Id probably go back there first

TheVBs
10-23-2013, 07:38 AM
The menus sound yummy! Have to say, I don't really care if it's an official food truck or a facade. Reading the article I never thought of it as being anything more than new Disney CS with a cute theme.

BrerGnat
10-23-2013, 08:50 AM
The menus sound yummy! Have to say, I don't really care if it's an official food truck or a facade. Reading the article I never thought of it as being anything more than new Disney CS with a cute theme.

Yes, but why couldn't they just allow local food trucks to rent space at DtD instead? There are plenty in the Orlando Metro area. That's the part I don't understand. Food trucks are supposed to be mobile and kind of transient. It would be cool if they would simply grant permits to "X" number of local food trucks and then just let them add DtD into their rotations.

MizMissy
10-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Yes, but why couldn't they just allow local food trucks to rent space at DtD instead? There are plenty in the Orlando Metro area. That's the part I don't understand. Food trucks are supposed to be mobile and kind of transient. It would be cool if they would simply grant permits to "X" number of local food trucks and then just let them add DtD into their rotations.

I guess having fake food trucks fits into Disney's whole dream (but not reality) theme.

Also, Disney is all about control and making money. If they allow local trucks in, they would not make money on the food and could not completely control the image. I also doubt that local food trucks could pay the exorbitnant fees Disney would charge to be allowed on their property.

BrerGnat
10-23-2013, 09:02 AM
I just think the whole thing is tacky. Disney doesn't need to jump on EVERY pop culture bandwagon. They seem to think they do though.

GAN
10-26-2013, 07:56 PM
I just think the whole thing is tacky. Disney doesn't need to jump on EVERY pop culture bandwagon. They seem to think they do though.

My sentiment exactly -where's the "creativity" in that?

brownie
10-27-2013, 07:22 AM
I like the idea. It doesn't matter to me that it's Disney doing it.

mechanic
10-28-2013, 11:15 PM
I'm guessing that the food trucks are different than the "roach coach " that comes to our factory everyday?
I hadn't realized that food trucks were suddenly a pop culture item.
Of course I'm here in se Michigan. Its a cultural wasteland ...

Aurora
10-29-2013, 10:15 AM
I don't get from the release that these won't be transient. And just because it sort of misses the point about individual food-truck restaurants, doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't be used this way. What's the harm?

And the food does sound tasty. I don't know if they'll still be around for our next vacation, but if so, I'd be willing to walk over from SSR for a spinach feta meatball sandwich. :tasty: