PDA

View Full Version : locking luggage?

Maggie T
10-19-2013, 09:12 AM
Do you keep your luggage unlocked so the TSA can inspect it or do you use the TSA locks or private locks ?

Itchy
10-19-2013, 09:30 AM
I use the TSA locks. If you use other locks they will need to cut them off if they need to inspect you bag, and they will not replace or pay for the ones they had to remove. TSA locks are cheap at Target, Walmart, ect.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

vicster
10-19-2013, 09:39 AM
TSA approved locks

Maggie T
10-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Thanks

Pirate Granny
10-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Get real, anyone can get into anything...people locked their suitcases long before 9-11; if it's locked...hummmm something good inside. We don't lock anymore. In all our trips since 9-11 over 100+ only once, just recently did something go missing.

WiltonJohn
10-19-2013, 12:38 PM
TSA locks.

Locks keep the "semi-honest " out. Nothing keeps the determined thief out. They'll just take the whole bag.

best,

..................john

MNNHFLTX
10-19-2013, 01:02 PM
We don't use locks either. Not once in all the domestic and international trips we've taken has anything gone missing from our unlocked suitcases. However on the two trips we actually did use TSA approved locks, at least one disappeared, along with the luggage strap.

Of course, don't put anything of significant value in checked luggage, whether there's a lock on it or not.

MrPeetrie
10-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Since new TSA rules have been in effect, we have not used locks. Have flown from PIT to MCO three times without an issue. (Nothing of real value in checked luggage anyway.)

Prior to new rules, we locked our luggage. Once our luggage arrived with the lock broken, but nothing was missing.

MargaretMessler
10-19-2013, 04:34 PM
I use TSA locks, I even found some combination style ones at our local dollar store. Other responders are correct, nothing will keep a determined enough thief out, but why make it easier? I just feel better locking, but I use the TSA ones to avoid losing $ if they need to open my bag.

BigB
10-20-2013, 11:06 AM
We use TSA locks. It is not so much for security because anyone with a good pair of pliers or a knife can get into you luggage. We use it to keep the zippers together so when they pack our luggage like sardines under the plane the zippers don't separate and our stuff comes out.

faline
10-20-2013, 02:39 PM
However on the two trips we actually did use TSA approved locks, at least one disappeared, along with the luggage strap.

We stopped using the TSA approved locks after similar experiences. On one occasion, they actually cut through the TSA approved lock??!! Others disappeared - it appeared the inspectors couldn't be bothered with putting the locks back on or relocking them.