PDA

View Full Version : Review- Animal Kingdom Lodge- Kidani Village

Hammer
10-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Rooms- We were in a savanna view 2 bedroom handicap accessible villa which was our request to accommodate our Mom. Interesting thing we discovered on this trip. Just so everyone is aware, not all of the bathrooms are wheelchair/handicap accessible if there is more than 1 bathroom in the unit; just that one of the bathrooms is accessible. On all of our previous DVC trips, the handicap accessible bathroom has been the master bathroom. It was the second bathroom attached to the 2nd bedroom in our room at Kidani. Required us to do a little shuffling around for sleeping arrangements, but as there are 3 bathrooms, Mom could still have the bathroom devoted for just her use.
We loved having the large continuous balcony! We had a great deal of animal activity outside our room. We saw giraffes, Anoke cattle, gazelles and various other animals throughout the week. We started having afternoon happy hour out there; just a glass of wine and watching the animals! Room was in very good shape for the most part. Discovered the dishwasher door would not shut properly when we went to run it. Was quickly fixed with a call to maintenance.
Service- For the most part, the CMs were really fantastic. I want to especially point out how great the valets were. We use valet a lot due to my my Mom and her wheelchair. Every one of the valets would help us with the chair. My sister and I are used to having to lift the chair so it was nice to have someone else take care of it. The valet at Beach Club even remembered us when we were back there a second time and called us by name. While this is outsourced, these CMs still maintained Disney standards. I make a point to mention that before I move on to my next topic.
The one exception was Bell Services. When we checked in, our room was not ready, so bell services took our luggage to store, one of the things being a cooler with IV bags of medication which had to be administered to my Mom daily (Mom would have her IV in the afternoons, Cheryl and I would have a glass of wine :wine:). The cooler was clearly marked as medication and that it needed to be refrigerated.
Our room was ready around 4:00. We get to our room and call for our bags to brought up. 30 minutes go by; no bags. We call bell services and we are told he is on his way and should be there in 5-10 minutes. 20 minutes; no bags. Second call to bell services. We ask to speak to a manager. Manager sends a call out and we find our bags are sitting another room. Manager tries to tell us it was delivered as part of Magical Express, which we answer her that’s not possible as our bags did not have ME tags and we did not take ME but drove there from Tampa! Our bags finally get there except the medication cooler is missing! Yet another call to Bell Services and the cooler is found sitting in the baggage room! Fortunately, we had packed the cooler with many freezer packs so the medication was fine, but we were so done with Bell Services at this point. Received a phone call less than 30 minutes later from a guest services manager who wanted us to hear about our problems. We did and she gave us a $200 credit to our account, though we did not ask for any sort of compensation. Whoever is the outsourced company who was given the Bell Services contract needs to have it revoked and put out for bid again.

The thing we really noticed this trip was the all-around shortage of staff. The staff, with the exception of bell services, was really great, but there really aren't enough of them, so they are really overworked. That’s why we had housekeeping knocking on our door on checkout day before 9:00 to clean our room. Or that you have to allow 3 hours for the maid to clean a 2 bedroom villa. If they allotted 2 maids to clean the larger 2 bedroom and grand villas, things would be completed in a timelier manner.

We enjoyed Kidani Village, but will stay there when we aren't there for Food and Wine. It was pretty far to keep going back to Epcot. Was much faster when we were at Saratoga (and of course, BCV or BWV).

VWL Mom
10-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the review Christine. We're still on the fence about staying there. As much as I like the idea of the large balcony and the animal viewings from a service stand point it may be getting pushed back to the bottom of our list. The medication thing is an issue, thank goodness you had the forethought to pack it well.

BugeyedMuggy
10-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Great review. Always like to hear the latest on our favorite resort with the exception we like to stay at Jambo. We stayed there last Oct and we feel your pain on the distance to the F&WF. We have booked BWV for Oct trips and AKL for our May trips in the future

chefmickey3
10-18-2013, 08:03 PM
Great review. This has become our favorite resort. We did not notice the shortage of staff over the summer. I feel like the recreation staff at the pool and throughout the lobby are the best on Disney property. I always feel like we are somewhere exotic but then right in the magic when we want to be.

Hammer
10-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the review Christine. We're still on the fence about staying there. As much as I like the idea of the large balcony and the animal viewings from a service stand point it may be getting pushed back to the bottom of our list. The medication thing is an issue, thank goodness you had the forethought to pack it well.

While Bell Services was horrible, the rest of the CMs really were fantastic at AKL. I do recommend every DVC owner should stay there at least once. My comment regarding shortage of staff is regarding WDW in general. We noticed it in all areas.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-20-2013, 11:35 AM
That's terrible her meds could have been destroyed. I'm glad to hear it worked out. Thanks for the report

brownie
10-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the review, Christine!

SBETigg
10-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Very informative review. Loved hearing about your stay, thanks!

AgentC
10-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the review. AKL is one of our favorite resorts.I do find it to be a bit far from some of the parks so we tend to do it when we are planning on more down time.

Simba's Mom
11-02-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm so glad you had a positive experience at Kidani. I was there from 10/15-10/19, and hardly ever saw an animal. Never saw giraffes-the only way I knew that savannah (the sunset savannah) had giraffes was that I'd seen them many times from Jambo. Couple the lack of animals with the long walk to the room, and next time I'll return to Jambo.