PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock, when are you coming back!?

MissMaryPoppins
10-14-2013, 11:54 PM
I first watched Sherlock on Netflix a year ago to see what the hype was all about. I sat down to watch one episode. When I finally finished the series 8 hours later, I was dying for more. This has been too long of a wait and it's driving me nuts! I need more! And no one I know watches it so I suffer alone. Please hurry!!

Capt_redshirt
10-15-2013, 12:14 AM
If your refering to the bbc version with benedict cumberbatch. i fully agree but this is the issue with bbc they are not always quick to renew popular episodes

MissMaryPoppins
10-15-2013, 08:19 AM
I'm learning that the hard way! I've seen the new episodes are filmed and being edited but no air dates. I also read we get the new ones after they've aired in the UK. Torture!

Tekneek
10-15-2013, 08:39 AM
2014 is what I have read. The way series are done in the UK is quite different compared to the US. In the US, it is expected to make and air them consecutively, while it is not unusual for UK series to have years between them.

Capt_redshirt
10-15-2013, 09:28 AM
I'm learning that the hard way! I've seen the new episodes are filmed and being edited but no air dates. I also read we get the new ones after they've aired in the UK. Torture!

yes its the same with DR who we can wait a minimum of 6 months before we get what the bbc has shown us tho with something as popular as the doctor its getting better

2014 is what I have read. The way series are done in the UK is quite different compared to the US. In the US, it is expected to make and air them consecutively, while it is not unusual for UK series to have years between them.

That is true more so with comedies then serial dramas

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-15-2013, 10:44 AM
British series are always low in number, and uncertain with airdates and generally, get their first airing in the UK vs over here, unless its a show like Copper that aired on BBCA but was an original US production.

Both actors for Sherlock have been incredibly busy, both are involved in the Hobbit trilogy, Freeman more so, Cumberbatch had Star Trek and now Fifth Estate, they are hot properties, so scheduling Sherlock is probably difficult.

My guess is that we won't see it over here until mid 2014.

Steven Moffat, one of the creators of Sherlock is great. Most probably know him from Dr. Who, but he created a comedy in the early 2000's called Coupling (which starred the future Commander Norrington) and is one of the funniest comedies of all time.

Fawlty Towers, also one of the best comedies ever written, is a good example of how British comedies work. It was made up of two seasons, only 6 episodes each season, and there was a 3-4 year gap between seasons 1 & 2.

I'm taking some consolation that US shows are learning something from British Television. That its better to have well written, tight story arc shows, rather than cranky out some predetermined # of episodes regardless of the quality or fluff being put out.

I just finished watching Broadchurch with David Tennant, and it was a season that was wrapped up in 8 episodes, it was perfect.

The game is a foot.

Tekneek
10-15-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm taking some consolation that US shows are learning something from British Television. That its better to have well written, tight story arc shows, rather than cranky out some predetermined # of episodes regardless of the quality or fluff being put out.

I always thought there was some pressure here to hit that 100 episode number for some syndication rights to kick in.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-25-2013, 09:59 AM
I just had an email from Masterpiece Theater.

Airdates for Sherlock Season 3 will begin January 19, 2014 following Downton Abbey.

Great news as I thought it would be more of a mid year release.

There will be three new 90 minute episodes:

1/19 - "The Empty Hearse" which would be a play on the original title when Holmes returns from the dead "The Empty House".

1/26 - "The Sign of Three" obviously a play on original novel "The Sign of the Four"

2/2 - "His Last Vow" a play on the anthology "His Last Bow".

Can't wait, January will be great with Downton and Sherlock.:number1:

Middle of the Map
01-21-2014, 09:34 PM
Couldn't wait to see the new season of Sherlock and find out how he did the "death" scene. Did laugh at some of the proposed theories on how he might have done it.

Was bothered by the jump cuts and added graphics that distracted from the story. Hope they don't continue that because I really like the characters.