PDA

View Full Version : Main Street USA Bypass

seanyred
10-11-2013, 10:49 AM
I read on another site that they are planning on building a permanent bypass on the right side of Main Street. This is the same backstage area that is used for moving people through when crowds are heavy on Main Street. The big difference would be that it will be themed so you won't get to see the backstage area. If this true hope they do it it right.

DizneyRox
10-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Is the need for a bypass a relatively new phenomenon? I mean I don't recall there being a need for using them until maybe 5-10 years ago. Now it seems commonplace to just open up backstage areas and let people see your laundry.

Am I right that Fantasmic maybe brought this idea to be used in other parks?

I'd rather address the issues causing the need for this than opening up bypasses.

Ian
10-11-2013, 02:34 PM
I'm actually fine with it. If done right, I think it could be pretty cool.

Scar
10-11-2013, 02:39 PM
I wonder what they'll be selling along this route.

Polynesian Dweller
10-11-2013, 02:46 PM
I wonder what they'll be selling along this route.

Probably nothing. This route has been in use for a number of years but only when needed due to high crowds. Right now it's just a backstage route past a CM break area, parked cars, equipment, backsides of stores etc. It's completely unthemed. They say it will be themed but since it is intended to route crowds around Main Street they aren't going to put things in there to slow you down but at least it will be onstage which is an improvement.

Polynesian Dweller
10-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Is the need for a bypass a relatively new phenomenon? I mean I don't recall there being a need for using them until maybe 5-10 years ago. Now it seems commonplace to just open up backstage areas and let people see your laundry.

Am I right that Fantasmic maybe brought this idea to be used in other parks?

I'd rather address the issues causing the need for this than opening up bypasses.

They have been using it when needed for years. Now it's going to be a themed passage way which is a major improvement on what it is now.

Aurora
10-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Wow -- this is so weird. I was literally just looking at that area on Google Maps a couple of days ago and thinking that would be an interesting area for an expansion of Main Street.

DisneyRox, I'm guessing that between there being a ever-greater number of hotel rooms on property due to DVC, as well as enormously popular special, singular events being held like the Monstrous Summer all-nighter, the need for opening up that backstage area for Main Street crowds has increased.

From reading the reports of events like that, it sounds like they certainly have to do something about crowd control, and letting fewer people in wouldn't be on their radar. ;)

Scar
10-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Probably nothing.My post was mostly tounge in cheek... but... I don't think there's a chance in The World that Disney would allow a prime spot where thousands of people walk by without selling something.

DisneyDINK
10-11-2013, 05:18 PM
I've never had the pleasure. Where does it let out on the other end?

Awesome_guy
10-11-2013, 09:57 PM
First I'm hearing of it, but I have been redirected this way backstage, our most recent trip at WDW.

Reminds me of Disneyland Paris, too.

In Paris, although more due to colder weather covered walkways are on BOTH sides Main Street called "arcades" ("Discovery Arcade" on the Discoveryland, i.e. Tomorrowland, side and "Liberty Arcade" on the Frontierland side. Theirs have back access to most of the shops. We totally used them to avoid crowds early and late in the day. And they're totally themed.

Not sure if WDW will take the indoor approach, but I could see how this might parallel?

VWL Mom
10-12-2013, 06:21 AM
I've never had the pleasure. Where does it let out on the other end?

In June they were letting anyone that wasn't staying for the fireworks out that way. We came out in the corner by Tony's. There weren't a lot of people using it but I thought it was a great idea.

tundramom
10-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Hopefully they'll relocate the dumpsters. We were rerouted back in June and the smells were less than Disney-like :sick:

Patricia
10-12-2013, 09:06 AM
I've exited that way after fireworks during the busy Christmas season, I always look to see if it's open to avoid the crowds. They had rolled out a few plants to hide the uglies (dumpsters).. I've always thought they could pretty it up by hiding and moving a few things. I would think they will continue to only use it only for crowd control and it wouldn't be a place you could visit regularly.

While in Disneyland, running the half marathon in 2008, the run entered Disneyland through a similar back street.

Main Street Jim
10-16-2013, 07:49 PM
The (current) bypass has only been used (as far as I know) during very PEAK busy times (Easter, 4th of July, Christmas/New Year's, etc.).

It runs from just behind the Plaza Restaurant (between Main Street and Tomorrowland) down to the corner between Tony's Town Square Restaurant and the Chapeau (hat shoppe).

It's just a parking lot for the Main Street managers and office help.

Sounds like they plan on doing like what they have at Disneyland Paris and closing it in, making an enclosed "corridor" behind the Cinema, Uptown Jewelers, Bakery, etc.

The article I read:

"The Magic Kingdom will soon begin work on a new permanent Main Street U.S.A bypass that will provide an alternative exit to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. During parades and firework shows, guests are currently directed to exit the park behind the buildings on the east side of Main Street. The new Main Street bypass will be built behind those buildings. What is not known is if it will be elevated, at ground level or be a tunnel. Construction is expected to start soon."

Ummm...the utilidors (tunnels) below the park *are* ground-level; the park itself is the "second floor" :)

Aurora
10-17-2013, 11:51 AM
The (current) bypass has only been used (as far as I know) during very PEAK busy times (Easter, 4th of July, Christmas/New Year's, etc.).

It runs from just behind the Plaza Restaurant (between Main Street and Tomorrowland) down to the corner between Tony's Town Square Restaurant and the Chapeau (hat shoppe).

Sounds like they plan on doing like what they have at Disneyland Paris and closing it in, making an enclosed "corridor" behind the Cinema, Uptown Jewelers, Bakery, etc.

Jim, the bypass was open when we were there in June 2011 as the crowds were enormous for viewing the Magic, Memories and You show and the fireworks. From other people's reports, it sounds like crowds may be picking up at other times too, maybe making this more and more necessary for safety at the end of the night.

PopPhan
10-17-2013, 11:55 AM
My post was mostly tounge in cheek... but... I don't think there's a chance in The World that Disney would allow a prime spot where thousands of people walk by without selling something.

What about the exit out of Fantasmic!???? That is a relatively nice walkway with no shops, restaurants, or other $$$ vacuuming venues.....

Scar
10-17-2013, 02:33 PM
What about the exit out of Fantasmic!???? That is a relatively nice walkway with no shops, restaurants, or other $$$ vacuuming venues.....It's been a long time, and I've only walked it once, but doesn't that dump you out on Sunset Blvd so you still have to walk by all the stores on Hollywood Blvd?

PopPhan
10-17-2013, 03:21 PM
It's been a long time, and I've only walked it once, but doesn't that dump you out on Sunset Blvd so you still have to walk by all the stores on Hollywood Blvd?

The one I'm thinking about brings you out by the gas station at the Crossroads...near the entrance/exit.

Gator
10-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Sure wish I would've found the bypass on our last trip. It was right after Wishes on a non-MVMCP night. That means that everyone at WDW has crowded in, and I mean crowded, to see 1 of 3 weekly Wishes that doesn't cost an extra $60. I've never been a part of such chaos and insanity, from the Hub all the way to the bus stop. Either they need to open up these bypasses and mark them clearly, they need to offer Wishes more times during Christmas.

Main Street Jim
10-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Sure wish I would've found the bypass on our last trip. It was right after Wishes on a non-MVMCP night. That means that everyone at WDW has crowded in, and I mean crowded, to see 1 of 3 weekly Wishes that doesn't cost an extra $60. I've never been a part of such chaos and insanity, from the Hub all the way to the bus stop. Either they need to open up these bypasses and mark them clearly, they need to offer Wishes more times during Christmas.It's not open on every night. I don't think "everyone at WDW" was there...LOL...but, I know whatcha mean.

I think that this new walkway will help alleviate the crowds every night. Paris' walk-through is very nice (it runs right across the back of the Main Street stores, like the Emporium, etc.), so it's very convenient.

CaptSmee
11-01-2013, 12:22 AM

The article I read:

"The Magic Kingdom will soon begin work on a new permanent Main Street U.S.A bypass that will provide an alternative exit to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. During parades and firework shows, guests are currently directed to exit the park behind the buildings on the east side of Main Street. The new Main Street bypass will be built behind those buildings. What is not known is if it will be elevated, at ground level or be a tunnel. Construction is expected to start soon."

Ummm...the utilidors (tunnels) below the park *are* ground-level; the park itself is the "second floor" :)

We were ushered out that way last year when we were trying to exit the park on a night that they were having MVMCP. The park was not that busy & my first thought was that Walt would highly disapprove to the non-magical ending to our day

seanyred
02-25-2014, 12:39 PM
So just read on another site that in addition to the Bypass there is plan to add another ring around the hub and create more viewing areas for fireworks. Anyone heard about these additional plan?

DizneyFreak2002
02-25-2014, 12:52 PM
So just read on another site that in addition to the Bypass there is plan to add another ring around the hub and create more viewing areas for fireworks. Anyone heard about these additional plan?

Yep... The byway won't be themed to the max though, so we need to temper those expectations...

Magic Kingdom will be losing part of the moat... The question is: will the moat be filled in or will the moat be left and flow under the new guest use areas...

All being done for crowd control... Hate losing part of the moat, but the truth is, this needed to be done...

seanyred
02-26-2014, 09:59 AM
Yep... The byway won't be themed to the max though, so we need to temper those expectations...

Magic Kingdom will be losing part of the moat... The question is: will the moat be filled in or will the moat be left and flow under the new guest use areas...

All being done for crowd control... Hate losing part of the moat, but the truth is, this needed to be done...

The unofficial drawings look like the moat closest to Main Street would be covered. I also read that they may install artificial grass in some areas to serve as additional areas to watch fireworks.

As for the bypass it self, anything will be better than the current way they use that area. Seeing dumpsters and a parking lot is a lousy way to end the day. I just hope they don't go cheap, but my hopes are tempered at best.

DizneyFreak2002
02-26-2014, 10:06 AM
The unofficial drawings look like the moat closest to Main Street would be covered. I also read that they may install artificial grass in some areas to serve as additional areas to watch fireworks.

As for the bypass it self, anything will be better than the current way they use that area. Seeing dumpsters and a parking lot is a lousy way to end the day. I just hope they don't go cheap, but my hopes are tempered at best.

Yes... They are extending the hub so to speak... The blue print plans do call for grass areas and more pathways to help spread out the crowds... The only thing not really clear is, if this is going to be built over the moat or if the moat will be filled in...

And I've tempered my hopes of a well themed bypass too... Don't get me wrong, they'll have it presentable, unlike now... But not themed like Main Street...

Both projects really were needed...

Ian
02-26-2014, 11:22 AM
On one hand I'm sort of disappointed they're going to so dramatically change the landscape of this area and also that it's certainly going to make a big mess while we're there on vacation in April/May.

That being said I have to agree that something really needs to be done. The congestion in this area is just unspeakable. It has to be cleared out and made to flow better.

DizneyFreak2002
02-26-2014, 12:13 PM
I cannot take credit for this info, got it on another site by someone who knows and has seen the plans:

To start with, this beautiful low budget "East Street" will only be open for crowd overflow, just like today. Unlike today, it will have very nice looking walls on either side of the street, preventing you from getting very close to the backs of the actual Main Street buildings. In front of those fake walls on "East Street", there will be some very nice lighting and landscaping, along with nice, and somewhat decent sized trees! (Imagine that!) Fake windows will be installed on the back of the real Main Street buildings, to give you at least something to look at. There will also be a couple themed billboards advertising Main Street's various businesses.

The East Street path itself will be paved with concrete (instead of the asphalt they have there today) and that new concrete will be fitted with steel rebar in the path, so parade floats can traverse the area. So far I have seen no evidence of any use for this new parade route, though with the new sound system they just installed, it is now possible to change which direction parade traffic flows in the area (even take different paths) and create very unique routes for different parades. This doesn't mean anything now, but if they would want to build a parade storage building off of East Street in the future, they could. Even with this new path, there will still not be enough room to fit full size floats through the gate between the Chapeau and Tony's Town Square. They are, however, trying to make that opening as large as possible, but it's still just not big enough.

seanyred
02-27-2014, 03:30 PM
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/02/magic-kingdom-enhancements-include-special-viewing-area-new-pathways-gardens/

This has more to do with the hub enhancements bit there is a nice rendering of the finished project. I must say it appears it will look very nice when completed. Also looks like parts of moat will be covered.

Aurora
02-27-2014, 10:07 PM
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/02/magic-kingdom-enhancements-include-special-viewing-area-new-pathways-gardens/

This has more to do with the hub enhancements bit there is a nice rendering of the finished project. I must say it appears it will look very nice when completed. Also looks like parts of moat will be covered.

Please, please tell me this is a rough draft because in it the rose garden is gone!

jamiem
02-28-2014, 07:21 AM
They have a corridor on the right side of main street in DLP. I would love if they would do the same in MK. The smell from the bakery was awesome. Never failed...always stopped for a brownie or Chocolate Chip Cookie. This would save literally 10 minutes getting out of the park at closing.:mickey:

RunDMV
02-28-2014, 07:52 AM
Surely I am not the only one thinking that the new area will soon become a "revenue stream" and Disney will charge a premium for this preferred seating.

Aurora
02-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Yep, they are taking out the rose garden.

Quote from Thomas Smith on the blog, responding to someone with the same question:

"The entire area around Cinderella Castle will be redesigned, including the Rose Garden. When complete, the area landscaping will feature many different types of plants, including roses."

<sigh!> This is really a shame. Those little out-of-the-way, charming places in the Magic Kingdom are becoming harder and harder to find.

PirateLover
02-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Overall I'm not against these changes, but I have to say I'm saddened to learn the Rose Garden is being affected-- for sentimental reasons. That is where my husband proposed to me.

Melanie
02-28-2014, 11:35 AM
Overall I'm not against these changes, but I have to say I'm saddened to learn the Rose Garden is being affected-- for sentimental reasons. That is where my husband proposed to me.

Oh yeah, that IS a bummer, Maryanne.

DizneyFreak2002
02-28-2014, 06:53 PM
They have a corridor on the right side of main street in DLP. I would love if they would do the same in MK. The smell from the bakery was awesome. Never failed...always stopped for a brownie or Chocolate Chip Cookie. This would save literally 10 minutes getting out of the park at closing.:mickey:

They are not going to be doing the bypass to look anything like DLP... I described above what they are going to do... Nothing fancy, just presentable... No new facades, no new entrances to stores.... Just billboards, walls, plants, trees... Nothing fancy...

Surely I am not the only one thinking that the new area will soon become a "revenue stream" and Disney will charge a premium for this preferred seating.

FP+ viewing areas...