PDA

View Full Version : Destin Restaurants

Wayne
10-11-2013, 12:14 AM
My wife and I are heading to Destin for the first time in several years and our first solo vacation in nearly 20 years. We'll be there in a couple of weeks, staying at Jetty East. We'd like some suggestions of good local places to eat that won't break the bank. We're probably looking at lunches or early dinners for the most part since we're planning to take advantage of the full kitchen in the condo and crock pot a few of our meals. Good seafood will be a plus.

Thanks

1DisneyNut
10-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Definitely go to The Back Porch seafood restaurant. It is one of the best seafood restaurants anywhere.

Strmchsr
10-11-2013, 07:24 AM
I live in the Destin area. You'll have a lot of fun. Drop by to say hello!

Probably the best seafood place is Mitchel's Seafood Market at the Grand Boulevard shopping area in Sandestin. The Back Porch is also good. Also, the Baytown shopping area in Sandestin has a lot of great stuff. Cheeseburger in Paradise is a fun place at the Silver Sands Outlet mall.

One of the best experiences is to drive over to Santa Rosa Beach where I live. Drive down 30A through all the various communities and there's lots of local shops and eateries. Destin is a tourist trap. 30A is where the real local culture is. We especially like the food trucks in Seaside (which is also where the Truman Show was filmed) or Stinky's Fish Camp (which is 2 blocks from my home). Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

buzznwoodysmom
10-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Definitely go to The Back Porch seafood restaurant. It is one of the best seafood restaurants anywhere.

Ditto! Amazing, but not cheap!

We also enjoy AJ' s seafood place.

Our favorite area near Destin is Seaside! I wan to live there. Love the little flood trucks set up in the town center.

MizMissy
10-11-2013, 11:39 AM
I second the recommendation to travel 30A and we LOVE Stinky's Fish Camp.

Have a great time! The beach is wonderful in the fall and it's my favorite time to be there.

Strmchsr
10-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Hey, y'all be sure to let me know next time you're cruising my area! :-) Like I mentioned above, I live on 30A 2 blocks from Stinky's so it'd be fun to meet up there sometime when y'all are here.

buzznwoodysmom
10-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Hey, y'all be sure to let me know next time you're cruising my area! :-) Like I mentioned above, I live on 30A 2 blocks from Stinky's so it'd be fun to meet up there sometime when y'all are here.

Chris, we are planning to stop by Seaside for lunch on our way back from Disney next month. I just noticed they will be having their annual Christmas parade at 4 that day, and the town Christmas lighting after. We planned to get into seaside around 2, so we may stay for the festivities. Would love to meet you if it's possible!

We have even entertained the idea of just staying for the night, but rates are crazy, can't find anything under $300 for the one night. Kinda out of the question after a weeklong Disney trip. Lol.

Strmchsr
10-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Would love to meet you if it's possible! We have even entertained the idea of just staying for the night, but rates are crazy, can't find anything under $300 for the one night. Kinda out of the question after a weeklong Disney trip. Lol.

Great! Shoot me a PM closer to time and we'll work something out. As for finding a room for the night - have you checked Topsail State Park (it's right on 30A just off of highway 98)? They have some really nice 2 and 3 bedroom cabins that are usually reasonably priced.

buzznwoodysmom
10-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Great! Shoot me a PM closer to time and we'll work something out. As for finding a room for the night - have you checked Topsail State Park (it's right on 30A just off of highway 98)? They have some really nice 2 and 3 bedroom cabins that are usually reasonably priced.

I will send a PM before we leave.

Thanks for the suggestion. I only priced Seaside and Watercolor, both are ridiculously priced! I will look into Topsail, a cabin would be great! Thanks!

Wayne
10-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Folks, thanks for the suggestions. The Back Porch has been one of the places that we have visited in the past and look forward to visiting again. Will definitely take a trip on 30A. We're all about finding the local flavor.