PDA

View Full Version : GAC Card Basics

WDWdriver
10-10-2013, 05:00 PM
By now, most of you have heard that the old Guest Assistance Card (GAC) has been replaced by the new Disability Access System (DAS) Card. While Disney continues to recognize the needs of its many guests with disabilities, the DAS represents a new way to meet those needs. If you used a GAC in the past because one or more persons in your family required alternative access to a ride or attraction, then you will find many changes in the way DAS is administered. Here are some Q and A's about DAS:

What is the main difference between GAC and DAS?

GAC was used primarily to gain immediate or rapid access to an attraction. Guests with a GAC were directed to an alternate entrance or to the Fast Pass queue without delay. The new DAS card will require a wait time comparable to the wait time in the standby queue. This doesn't mean that you will wait in line. The waiting period can be on another ride, in a restaurant, or anywhere else in the park.

A member of my family has a disability. Do we need a DAS card?

In many cases the answer is no. The determining factor will be whether or not the disability is limited to a mobility issue. If your family member's disability simply limits his/her mobility (i.e. walking, standing, stamina) then you will be not be issued a DAS card and will be encouraged to use a wheelchair or ECV while waiting in the standby queues.

What if the disability goes beyond a mobility issue?

You may be issued a DAS card, depending on what needs you have that cannot be alleviated by a wheelchair or ECV. This is the key requirement for obtaining the card. You will be asked to explain the reason that your need goes beyond a mobility issue. It is important to note that the Disney CMs are not asking for a diagnosis. They are not medically trained and they will not ask for medical paperwork or a doctor's note. Therefore, it is not generally helpful to tell them that your family member has (for example) fibromyalgia, emphysema or cerebral palsy. Instead, it is up to you to tell them of a specific reason why waiting in a standby line (with or without a wheelchair) is not an option.

Okay, so I can explain why my family member cannot wait in line. How do I get the DAS?

Go to Guest Relations at the park entrance (inside or outside of the turnstiles). The person needing the card must be present, even if it is a child or a person who cannot speak.

- Discuss your need with a CM.
- Submit to having a photo of the cardholder taken by the CM.
- Agree to the terms and conditions on the front of the card.
- Sign the card.
- That's it. You're done.
(Note - there can be exceptions to these requirements on a case by case basis)

How long is the card good for, and for how many people?

The card is valid for your length of stay up to 14 days. AP holders will have to get new cards on subsequent visits. The card is intended to be for up to six guests, although that number can be increased at the discretion of the Guest Relations CMs.

How do I use the card?

Go to the entrance of the attraction you wish to experience and show the card to a CM (note - the disabled person does not have to be present at this point). The CM will note the current standby wait time for the attraction (let's say 40 minutes for this example) and will write a return time on one of the lines on the back of your card. This return time will be determined by subtracting ten minutes from the current wait time (30 minutes in this case). The ten minute portion represents the approximate amount of time you will be waiting when you return and are admitted to the Fast Pass queue or other alternate entrance. You now have a written return time for the attraction, and you can spend the time interval anywhere else in the park doing anything else that interests you. You can even go on other rides using Fast Pass or the standby queue.

What happens when we return?

Present the DAS card to a CM. The CM will line through the entry on the back of the card and will admit you to the attraction via the Fast Pass queue or alternate entrance. The person whose name is on the card must be among those entering the attraction.

Is there a return window?

No, you may return at any time after the return time noted on your card.

When can we get another return time for another attraction?

When your current return time has been lined through (either by a CM or by you) you can approach another attraction and get a new return time. There is no limit as to how many attractions you can ride in a day, but you can have only one open return time on your card.

What if the attraction is "down" when we return?

Your return time will be lined through by the CM and you will be given a readmission card for that attraction valid at any time for the rest of the day.

Can we still use a stroller as a wheelchair?

Yes. The CMs at Guest Relations can give you a "baggage tag" marker for your stroller just as they have in the past. You may or may not also get a DAS card depending on your needs.

faline
10-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Thank you for outlining the process!

VWL Mom
10-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Thanks Ron. :thumbsup:

Strmchsr
10-10-2013, 08:34 PM
We experienced this in action today at MK with my mom. It seemed to work quite well. You get your return time and can go chill, eat, play, ride something else, whatever you want. until your time. It flowed pretty smoothly and I would think would curtail most of the abuse. It still accomplishes the purpose of a person who can't stand in line not having to stand in line while cutting out the "jump straight to the front of the line" part that so many abused. I know change is tough for anyone, but I think it'll work out okay in the long run.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Thanks for sharing!

Chris - glad to hear it worked well today. :)

andypooh
10-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Does the new system in any way affect one's ability to get a regular FP as well?

Strmchsr
10-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Does the new system in any way affect one's ability to get a regular FP as well?

I don't believe so.

WDWdriver
10-10-2013, 10:05 PM

No, it doesn't. At least for now there is no link between DAS and FP+. And the old paper FPs are still in use. That could change in the future of course when traditional FP is discontinued.

MNNHFLTX
10-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks, Ron. It's good to get the low-down from an actual CM. :mickey:

merciantinkerbell
10-11-2013, 02:22 PM
From what I understand hubby doesn't need this new DAS pass as we just need to take his wheelchair through the lines but what about where the queue isn't accessable because of stairs like Splash Mountain or It's A small World?

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-11-2013, 03:05 PM
The wheelchair itself will let the CM know that you need to use an alternate entrance.

DD used a wheelchair on our last two trips, and we didn't have a GAC, since the wheelchair "was the GAC". If the CM doesn't direct you, and you aren't sure which entrance, just ask and they will direct you.

merciantinkerbell
10-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks, we have no problem waiting our turn, hubby needs wheelchair to do so.

WDWdriver
10-11-2013, 06:32 PM
The wheelchair itself will let the CM know that you need to use an alternate entrance.

DD used a wheelchair on our last two trips, and we didn't have a GAC, since the wheelchair "was the GAC". If the CM doesn't direct you, and you aren't sure which entrance, just ask and they will direct you.

Yes, and now there is another option as well. If the queue is not wheelchair accessible and you can't use a FP because of that, you can ask the CMs at the entrance for a return time. This works just like the DAS card, only you don't actually have the card. The CM can give you a "mini" DAS card with a time to return to the attraction. When you return you will experience a minimum wait while they direct you to the most accessible entrance. This can be done only at attractions where the queue is not accessible.

merciantinkerbell
10-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Ah, now I understand. Did wonder how the CM's knew that you'd been asked to come back if you don't have a DAS card. Thanks for all the info WDW Driver.

Disney4us2
10-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Yes, and now there is another option as well. If the queue is not wheelchair accessible and you can't use a FP because of that, you can ask the CMs at the entrance for a return time. This works just like the DAS card, only you don't actually have the card. The CM can give you a "mini" DAS card with a time to return to the attraction. When you return you will experience a minimum wait while they direct you to the most accessible entrance. This can be done only at attractions where the queue is not accessible.

That is exactly how it worked for us today. I was going to use the DAS for Haunted Mansion, but the line was not crowded or long so I went stand by. I went to BTMRR and the CM asked if I had a card, which was blank. She told me to get the FP. When I went, the other CM just wrote up a FP with a return time equal to the wait time. This was also done on Jungle Cruise. Had no problems and still haven't needed to use the DAS.