PDA

View Full Version : New GAC/"disabled policy: Please Read :)

Main Street Jim
10-09-2013, 05:30 PM
RE: The new "disabled guest"policy:

To my CM friends:
Today is a big day. Please remember to breathe. Try to remember that not EVERYONE is abusing the system. Having a child with a special need (of any kind) is not an easy thing. And the smallest thing can set the child off. If you see a family with a child having a meltdown, please don't judge or stare. Those only make things harder. Personal experience has taught me a lot LOL. Having a child meltdown because you are walking past Buzz and not riding, <snip>. I really hope today goes better than anyone is expecting. I will be thinking of you guys all day. Please send me messages of how it goes!!

To guests:
Please, please be nice. No one likes change. But this is what happens when people get greedy. GACs were something Disney went ABOVE and did for families like mine (I have a 12 year old brother with Down's Syndrome, and an 10-year-old brother with ADHD). Does it <snip> that it has changed? Absolutely. Will it change how we go to Disney? Absolutely! But that's life. Be thankful for what they have done in the past. And try to deal with what they are doing now. Remember, the CMs you encounter today (or from now on) had absolutely NOTHING to do with the change; this change came from upper management, not the front-line Cast that you encounter at the parks or resorts. They are just doing their job to enforce it. Please don't take any of it out on them, especially those in Guest Relations. Get the contact info and email or write a letter about the experience.
Love my Disney family, and good luck!!

Melanie
10-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Is this a note from you, Jim?

Should be noted it's no longer called GAC, and now known as Disability Access Service (DAS) card.

WDWdriver
10-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks, Jim. Good advice for both guests and CMs. I will be among those trying to adjust to the new policy and procedures later this week.

VWL Mom
10-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks for posting this Jim. Good luck to all CM's and guests during the transition. I hope it goes smoothly for all.

ransam
10-09-2013, 09:22 PM
I have to say that I believe very few people abuse the old system. I use an evc and I have an autistic child. I have never abused it and to be honest, with as many times as I have gone I think I have seen only one person abuse the system.

the funny thing is that the current system won't stop me from going but maybe we won't be able to take my son.
and my mom who is very very very sick and crippled. I was planning on taking her w/ us next time. under the old rules it would have been hard. under the new rules, no way we can take her.

not complaining really, that's just the way it is.

still can't wait until November 2014

buzznwoodysmom
10-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Sorry, I forgot to add the quote. This is in response to ransam' s above post about few people abusing the system.

I can't speak for all guests, but I have seen/known about abuse first hand from people I know who told me what they did.

In one case the family got a GAC for their son who was diagnosed with asthma. The family visited Disney during Easter break, was given a GAC, and used FP line all week. They came home saying that they got to skip all the lines and how nice it was. The thing is their son, the one with asthma, plays football and soccer in the Louisiana heat and humidity with no problems, but couldn't tolerate waiting in line at Disney in the spring! Seriously? To me this is a clear cut example of abusing the system, as the child was more than capable of waiting in the regular line.

This is just one example of stuff I have heard first hand. I know that if I personally know of a few people doing this, then there are likely hundreds, if not thousands, doing the same. As with everything else in life, the good have to suffer for the bad.

Pirate Granny
10-09-2013, 11:12 PM
So sad but so true...I've seen lots of abuse and heard lots of bragging.

gueli
10-10-2013, 12:08 AM
RE: The new "disabled guest"policy:

To my CM friends:
Today is a big day. Please remember to breathe. Try to remember that not EVERYONE is abusing the system. Having a child with a special need (of any kind) is not an easy thing. And the smallest thing can set the child off. If you see a family with a child having a meltdown, please don't judge or stare. Those only make things harder. Personal experience has taught me a lot LOL. Having a child meltdown because you are walking past Buzz and not riding, <snip>. I really hope today goes better than anyone is expecting. I will be thinking of you guys all day. Please send me messages of how it goes!!

To guests:
Please, please be nice. No one likes change. But this is what happens when people get greedy. GACs were something Disney went ABOVE and did for families like mine (I have a 12 year old brother with Down's Syndrome, and an 10-year-old brother with ADHD). Does it <snip> that it has changed? Absolutely. Will it change how we go to Disney? Absolutely! But that's life. Be thankful for what they have done in the past. And try to deal with what they are doing now. Remember, the CMs you encounter today (or from now on) had absolutely NOTHING to do with the change; this change came from upper management, not the front-line Cast that you encounter at the parks or resorts. They are just doing their job to enforce it. Please don't take any of it out on them, especially those in Guest Relations. Get the contact info and email or write a letter about the experience.
Love my Disney family, and good luck!!

Well Stated.
Thanks Jim...
Hope you and yours have a great time next time you visit.
:mickey:

Susan A
10-10-2013, 09:08 AM
I'm glad Disney is still trying to make their parks more accessible and enjoyable for guests with special needs.

I don't know if the smaller more local ones go that far.

Terra
10-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks Jim! :)
I'll be taking my oldest son who has special needs, in November for his birthday. I'm hoping he can still enjoy it with the new changes. Staying positive here! :):mickey:

Disney4us2
10-10-2013, 02:33 PM
I went to Epcot for a few hours today. I turned in my GAC to get the DAS. The process is very easy. First the CM asked what my needs are (besides mobility, and I had my scooter with me). He then typed the info into a tablet/computer. He took my picture with the tablet. It prints out on the paper DAS cards.

On the front it gives your first and last names, the date you get the card to the expiration date, where/what park you got the DAS and the number of people in your party.

The process to use it is very simple. Just go to the attraction and the CM will scan the card (there is an area with all the info when scanned on the card). You will get a fast pass with the current stand by wait time on it. You can return any time after that time with no window restrictions. To get another DAS pass, you MUST use the first/current fast pass. You will not be able to save them up.

On the reverse side of the card is a log where the CM can write the name of the attraction, current time return time, and cast(where they initial it)

I didn't use it today since I was scooting solo and just did Spaceship Earth which has a h/c area and went stand by on Nemo.

Per the card:
Terms and conditions
*Your scheduled return time does not provide immediate access upon your return.

*You may not have more than one active attraction return time at a time.

*Disney Fastpass service is a separate service and may be used in conjunction with this service.

*Park and attraction hours are subject to change without notice.

*Attractions may close without notice.

*All guests must meet boarding requirements.

*When using this service, it is possible to experience waits greater than the posted wait time.

By signing this card, you acknowledge that the recipient of this card has a disability rwquiring the service of this program and accepts the terms and conditions of this card.

Walt Disney Parks and Resort may tetain the photo and other information contained on this card to assist us in processing the Disability Assistance Service.
end quote...

You then sign and date the card.

I saw the stroller as wheelchair tags being given out as before and I didn't have any trouble getting my DAS having my scooter with me. The CM was very friendly and helpful. I didn't feel rushed by him, even thought the line was long.

So far so good. We will see this weekend when we go back to one of the parks.

One good thing is that if you have an ADR you can get your DAS pass and have your meal since you don't have to rush back to the attraction withing a "ride time window".

minnie04
10-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Sounds very simple. Good luck to all that need it. :mickey:

Middle of the Map
10-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Thanks to Main Street Jim for spelling it out.

Apparently so many people were gaming the system, it became a serious issue.

I'm sure Disney thought long and hard about changing this service.

I hope the new system works well enough for everyone.

Melanie
10-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Marci's card. Thanks, Marci!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/11/2ymejyma.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/11/a3ure3y3.jpg

Terra
10-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Marci's card. Thanks, Marci!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/11/2ymejyma.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/11/a3ure3y3.jpg

That looks similar to the Legoland disability pass. Except you can do more than one attraction at a time. Makes it easier to at least schedule the day.

I'm just really hoping my very regimented ASD son does okay with it. We have the same schedule every time we go. It will be interesting :)

MNNHFLTX
10-11-2013, 09:48 AM
It's good to see the actual card. Thanks, Marci.

bxrluv
10-20-2013, 01:41 AM
:thumbsup: So good to know how it works. My 15 year old and I had discussed both of our concerns and finally decided she should get the GAC then they changed it. We've been looking at the new system and believe it will help her IF she needs to use it when she feels poorly. She was worried about not making it back in time for her return time if they have to meet with her teacher. She'll feel better.

ransam
10-21-2013, 02:31 AM
just a follow up.
to those saying they have seen or "heard" first hand reports of people abusing the system, that's fine, i'm not saying it's not true.
but I would bet the percentage is so low of those abusing it, it's funny. for every 1 of those people that abuse it, there are hundreds who need it and do not abuse it. and frankly I find it offensive to hear people say the majority of people don't need it.
I would LOVE to have my legs back. I would love to walk w/ my son from ride to ride, but I can't.

the only real problem I have w/ he new/current issue is tghat it seems that Disney is taking one solution and trying to make it fit every situation. people have different disabilities and different needs. How will the new system adapt to that?

TexansInNY
10-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Not going to stir the pot but the new system will not fit my son's individual needs. As such (have to update signature list) I am using the opportunity to cancel the reservation for WL and stay in a nice house with pool offsite. We can then go to Disney Studios (his favorite) and try out some other places - Universal, LegoLand, Sea World, and still shop at Downtown Disney.

I did email initially and got written back with basically a sorry but it is what it is response. Good luck to all!

JerseyDad
10-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Not going to stir the pot but the new system will not fit my son's individual needs. As such (have to update signature list) I am using the opportunity to cancel the reservation for WL and stay in a nice house with pool offsite. We can then go to Disney Studios (his favorite) and try out some other places - Universal, LegoLand, Sea World, and still shop at Downtown Disney.

I did email initially and got written back with basically a sorry but it is what it is response. Good luck to all!

....I've not seen the "system" that is employed at LegoLand ...but I do know that the disabled assistance systems at Universal, and Sea World are basically the same as the new DAS at Disney. I'm kinda' wondering if Disney used those systems as a model for the DAS ...and 'tweaked" it a bit so that it's not exactly alike?

Terra
10-23-2013, 05:15 PM
....I've not seen the "system" that is employed at LegoLand ...but I do know that the disabled assistance systems at Universal, and Sea World are basically the same as the new DAS at Disney. I'm kinda' wondering if Disney used those systems as a model for the DAS ...and 'tweaked" it a bit so that it's not exactly alike?

Legoland is basically the same as the DAS. We live 20 minutes from there and rarely ever go. You get times written in to come back. When the park is crowded it's generally an hour to hour an half until your return time. When crowds are low, typically they let you go then.

JerseyDad
10-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Legoland is basically the same as the DAS. We live 20 minutes from there and rarely ever go. You get times written in to come back. When the park is crowded it's generally an hour to hour an half until your return time. When crowds are low, typically they let you go then.

....I feel like an idiot ...I've 'heard' of Legoland ...but am clueless to where it is?

Disney4us2
10-25-2013, 06:44 AM
....I feel like an idiot ...I've 'heard' of Legoland ...but am clueless to where it is?

It is about 36 miles south of WDW, in Winter Haven. It is about 5 miles from where I live. Still haven't been there.

Terra
11-01-2013, 10:12 PM
It is about 36 miles south of WDW, in Winter Haven. It is about 5 miles from where I live. Still haven't been there.

You aren't missing much :blush: [Just my opinion].

Terra
11-01-2013, 10:14 PM

Don't feel like an idiot :) I know quite a few people make a day trip over when doing WDW. It's nice having some local to us, but it's small and can get boring really easy.
I think personally it's a big far for all the tourists who do traveling to come to Orlando and then have to travel about an hour to go see it. I do think maybe they should have built closer to all the other attractions.

Disney_pups2
11-07-2013, 02:16 AM

Actually, I called Universal and they immediately told my family that there was a chance that due to our extensive needs and several handicap that we might be given the express pass for free. You can also stay on grounds at one of their deluxe resorts and receive Express passes that allows unlimited express uses for each ride for each person for everyone in your party for every day you have a ticket and lastly you can purchase a slightly downgraded pass that allows 1 express entry per ride per day per person. So, NOTHING like Disney which told me "We have the DAS and we may be able to help a little more once you are in line here after you have paid to get in". Universal is actually willing to work with you which is not the answers I have been getting from Disney CM's nor from the families that gave this DAS a chance.

JerseyDad
11-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Actually, I called Universal and they immediately told my family that there was a chance that due to our extensive needs and several handicap that we might be given the express pass for free. You can also stay on grounds at one of their deluxe resorts and receive Express passes that allows unlimited express uses for each ride for each person for everyone in your party for every day you have a ticket and lastly you can purchase a slightly downgraded pass that allows 1 express entry per ride per day per person. So, NOTHING like Disney which told me "We have the DAS and we may be able to help a little more once you are in line here after you have paid to get in". Universal is actually willing to work with you which is not the answers I have been getting from Disney CM's nor from the families that gave this DAS a chance.

....I was aware of the Express Pass at Universal ...because a few yrs back ...we, and another family did an off-site day to Universal, and purchased the Express Pass (this was about 2008 or 2007). It was a decent sized up-charge for each person ....but worth it since we were there only one day. But, I'm guessing that Universal isn't just handing over the same type pass for free to everyone that claims a disability.

Disney_pups2
11-09-2013, 01:11 AM
....I was aware of the Express Pass at Universal ...because a few yrs back ...we, and another family did an off-site day to Universal, and purchased the Express Pass (this was about 2008 or 2007). It was a decent sized up-charge for each person ....but worth it since we were there only one day. But, I'm guessing that Universal isn't just handing over the same type pass for free to everyone that claims a disability.

At least Universal is trying to accommodate in a more adequate way than Disney and their "DAS" or nothing. :mickey:

cer
11-09-2013, 08:20 AM
At least Universal is trying to accommodate in a more adequate way than Disney and their "DAS" or nothing. :mickey:

I am sorry you are having a hard time, but is Universal ACTUALLY going to help you? From your previous post….

Actually, I called Universal and they immediately told my family that there was a chance that due to our extensive needs and several handicap that we might be given the express pass for free.

Or is just having the option to purchase an express pass what you mean by them being more accommodating?

Disney_pups2
11-16-2013, 02:47 AM
Well, let's see.. I called Disney 6 times, mentioned that my child is traveling on a wish from a wish granting site and to find out if his wish org will be recognized as stated (I like to be thorough), their own site says ALL wish granting org travelers will be given different system access but yet they only acknowledge 2 orgs and half their employees don't even know this information. When you read online they still say "case by case", yet most the stories I hear were DAS or nothing and when I call it is DAS or nothing.
Universal first call and they are at least discussing other possibilities and they have other possibilities
to offer. I think I believe Universal. Not only that but at least if I stay at Universal I get express for free and insure my son's wish isn't ruined. Disney simply doesn't care. :(

EditReject
11-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Hi all,

I have not been on the boards in forever so I apologize that I am late to the game on this one. I am a grown adult and my mom recently alerted me to this (gotta love moms!) change as we have a family trip happening on Dec 12th.

I have Spina Bifida and use a manual wheelchair full time for mobility. I have never used a GAC card in past visits as I wait in the regular lines or use the WC accessible queues where needed (mostly the older rides nowadays). In looking at the other related posts on here, it sounds like that would not change for me, correct? It appears to be status quo.

To those who relied on the GAC cards in the past, best of luck to you with the new DAS system. Based on many posts on the forum, it definitely seems like it will affect some families and folks who relied on its convenience and assistance in making park visits manageable for those with special needs.

dnickels
11-18-2013, 02:26 PM
I have Spina Bifida and use a manual wheelchair full time for mobility. I have never used a GAC card in past visits as I wait in the regular lines or use the WC accessible queues where needed (mostly the older rides nowadays). In looking at the other related posts on here, it sounds like that would not change for me, correct? It appears to be status quo.

Yeah basically no change. I use either a wheelchair or a walker due to my legs being mostly paralyzed and there's almost nothing different for those of us with an obvious physical disability with the new system.

The only difference is that at places where you used to go to a separate handicap accessible entrance and get right on (like Big Thunder Mtn Railroad), you instead go to the main entrance first and get a card that you can then use at the handicap entrance after the appropriate wait time is up (i.e. if the wait time for BTMRR is 45 minutes when you show up you'll get a card saying you can enter the handicap entrance in 45 minutes).

WDWdriver
11-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Well, let's see.. I called Disney 6 times, mentioned that my child is traveling on a wish from a wish granting site and to find out if his wish org will be recognized as stated (I like to be thorough), their own site says ALL wish granting org travelers will be given different system access but yet they only acknowledge 2 orgs and half their employees don't even know this information. When you read online they still say "case by case", yet most the stories I hear were DAS or nothing and when I call it is DAS or nothing.
Universal first call and they are at least discussing other possibilities and they have other possibilities
to offer. I think I believe Universal. Not only that but at least if I stay at Universal I get express for free and insure my son's wish isn't ruined. Disney simply doesn't care. :(

Sorry that you are unhappy with Disney's phone response to your concerns. I must say though that I see the purple genie lanyards in our park every day, and those guests are being given expedited and courteous access to the attractions. I assume that most of them are from Make-A-Wish, but not all.

Disney_pups2
11-28-2013, 12:06 AM
Thank you WDWDriver. I appreciate that. I have left message after Message for Mark and he hasn't called me back. We are still trying to get my son's wish changed over to Make A Wish. All I know is that my organization said that they were told their organization would not be recognized. :-(