PDA

View Full Version : Quest for the crunchy taco continues...

disneykidsince1970
10-07-2013, 03:54 AM
I've put this out to twitter several times now and have received some thoughtful suggestions. I've checked them all and still NO CRUNCHY TACO!

I'm on the hunt for a plain old crunchy taco. Not a soft taco with flank steak pieces. Not nachos that resemble a taco.

You'd think that Mexico would be the go-to location for a crunchy taco. But it's not. I've checked every single restaurant around Mexico, quick service and sit down.

My brother-in-law has theorized that Disney doesn't do crunchy tacos simply because they make too much of a mess. But the crunchy taco is an American staple! Disney you need to get with it.

Has anyone seen a crunchy taco anywhere on Disney property?

Thanks!

Nikki:mickey:

BrerGnat
10-07-2013, 08:13 AM
What you are looking for can be found at Paradiso 37, on Pleasure Island, on the KIDS Menu:

Mexican Crispy Corn Shell Tacos - Stuffed with Chicken or Beef with Lettuce, Tomatoes & Cheeses. Served with Black Beans and Cilantro Rice $7.99

You can also get a Taco Salad with a crunchy shell at Pecos Bill at MK. And, at El Pirata y El Perico, when it's open, in Adventureland.

disneykidsince1970
10-07-2013, 04:51 PM
I will be verifying your suggestions this weekend! Thanks for the tips!

DisneyDINK
10-07-2013, 06:13 PM
You'd think that Mexico would be the go-to location for a crunchy taco. But it's not. I've checked every single restaurant around Mexico, quick service and sit down.

My brother-in-law has theorized that Disney doesn't do crunchy tacos simply because they make too much of a mess. But the crunchy taco is an American staple! Disney you need to get with it.

I know this not the answer you asked for, but I'll throw it out anyway. As you might already be aware the hard shell "crunchy" taco, a.k.a. "anglo taco" or hard taco was invented (or at least popularized) by Glen Bell, founder of Taco Bell in Southern California. These tacos which were a staple on our table growing up as well: a spice packet was added to simmering ground beef and put into these store-bought pre-formed u-shaped taco shells then topped with shredded iceberg lettuce, cheddar cheese and chipped tomato. These tacos are about as Mexican as spaghetti and meat sauce is Italian (another story). Whoever puts together the menu at La Cantina de San Angel, etc. would probably never agree to put a crunchy taco on the menu; they are trying to keep it real. Hard tacos: tasty - yes authentic-no. The only place they could maybe put it would be either in Pecos Bills or maybe in the 50's Prime Time. After all it is an American comfort food sort of meal.

I used to get them all the time in Disneyland at Casa Mexicana/Casa de Fritos, but Mexicana closed in 2000 and the hard tacos went with it. They are not on the menu at the new place Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante, probably because they are about as Mexican as apple pie.

Despite the rant, I am sorry B-I-L can't find one at the parks.

Arielfan98
10-07-2013, 06:59 PM
They've always had a Taco salad and nachos they way you're describing at the All Star Music food court for lunch/dinner.

Crow
10-07-2013, 08:43 PM
and Paradiso is pretty good. Ill probably go back there in Dec. I do like authentic though

JerseyDad
10-07-2013, 10:36 PM
I know this not the answer you asked for, but I'll throw it out anyway. As you might already be aware the hard shell "crunchy" taco, a.k.a. "anglo taco" or hard taco was invented (or at least popularized) by Glen Bell, founder of Taco Bell in Southern California. These tacos which were a staple on our table growing up as well: a spice packet was added to simmering ground beef and put into these store-bought pre-formed u-shaped taco shells then topped with shredded iceberg lettuce, cheddar cheese and chipped tomato. These tacos are about as Mexican as spaghetti and meat sauce is Italian (another story). Whoever puts together the menu at La Cantina de San Angel, etc. would probably never agree to put a crunchy taco on the menu; they are trying to keep it real. Hard tacos: tasty - yes authentic-no. The only place they could maybe put it would be either in Pecos Bills or maybe in the 50's Prime Time. After all it is an American comfort food sort of meal.

I used to get them all the time in Disneyland at Casa Mexicana/Casa de Fritos, but Mexicana closed in 2000 and the hard tacos went with it. They are not on the menu at the new place Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante, probably because they are about as Mexican as apple pie.

....agree with you regarding La Cantina keeping it "real". I think their tacos are some of the tastiest I've had.

...it was painful ...and annoying to sit across form my SIL ..who ate her tacos with a face that can only be described as "Yuck...this tastes like #$@&"!!

...of course she thinks Taco Bell is good food and that's what she was expecting.

ASweetLov
10-08-2013, 07:59 PM
At Pop Century food court you can get hard shell tacos at lunch time. Its a build yourself tacos and you can choose soft tacos or hard tacos. They make 4 for you with some seasoned homemade chips on the side. I got these on my last trip (september 2013). They were very good!

#1donaldfan
10-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Peco's Bills taco salad / bowl is incredible for CS standards.....:mickey:

DisneyDINK
10-09-2013, 09:56 PM
At Pop Century food court you can get hard shell tacos at lunch time. Its a build yourself tacos and you can choose soft tacos or hard tacos. They make 4 for you with some seasoned homemade chips on the side. I got these on my last trip (september 2013). They were very good!

Good to know. Thanks!

texas211
10-12-2013, 04:40 PM

Ok, so that helped the 3 people in the US that didn't know what a taco is ;) J/K

But, I don't agree w/ your name logic. Don't forget the Mexico Pavilion has Donald Duck blathering on through the boat ride. So, I don't know how much authenticity and Disney collide in the same sentence.

That being said, I wish they'd have a Taco Cabana at Mexico. Best breakfast tacos.