PDA

View Full Version : Dinner suggestioms in Tampa.

buzznwoodysmom
10-06-2013, 12:02 PM
We are spending one night in Tampa before our Disney trip in November. DH is attending a Cigar Festival Preparty that night so the kids and I will be on our own for dinner. We are staying at the Embassy Suites Tampa - Downtown Convention Center.

Any suggestions on a good place for dinner? We are more interested in good locally owned places or something unique to the area, rather than your typical chain restaurant. However, we are open to all suggestions. Thanks.

paymerich
10-07-2013, 11:04 AM
try the island Way Grill in Clearwater , I know its a little drive but we went there about 2 years ago and it was great . ( pricey though)

buzznwoodysmom
10-07-2013, 01:18 PM
try the island Way Grill in Clearwater , I know its a little drive but we went there about 2 years ago and it was great . ( pricey though)

We actually plan to drive to Clearwater Beach the next morning for breakfast. I don't remember the name of the place, but it was right by the beach, a block or two from the Hilton. Best breakfast ever!

Thanks for the suggestion! Not looking to spend too much, but I'll keep it on the list anyway.

Melanie
10-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Leroy Selmon's! Definitely unique to the area and not too pricy. It was the first place we ate when we moved there, and it remained our favorite while we were there. Our favorite location is at International Plaza over by the airport.

buzznwoodysmom
10-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Leroy Selmon's! Definitely unique to the area and not too pricy. It was the first place we ate when we moved there, and it remained our favorite while we were there. Our favorite location is at International Plaza over by the airport.

I was hoping you would chime in Melanie. What kind of food is served at Leroy Selmon' s?

buzznwoodysmom
10-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Mel, looked at an online menu and it looks good. Definitely something for everyone and not too pricey. Gonna add it to the list of potential places. Thanks!

Melanie
10-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Mel, looked at an online menu and it looks good. Definitely something for everyone and not too pricey. Gonna add it to the list of potential places. Thanks!

Wait....rereading your original post. Is your husband's party in Ybor? If so, go to the Columbia, or to Acropolis.

Leroy's is awesome. Just great southern food. My hubby would die for the pecan pie there. And I just like that Leroy himself was such a good guy and loved the Tampa community. So sad when he passed away unexpectedly a few years ago.

AgentC
10-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Wait....rereading your original post. Is your husband's party in Ybor? If so, go to the Columbia, or to Acropolis.

Leroy's is awesome. Just great southern food. My hubby would die for the pecan pie there. And I just like that Leroy himself was such a good guy and loved the Tampa community. So sad when he passed away unexpectedly a few years ago.

I agree on Leroy's. Before my company moved we were down the street from Leroy's. We used to have company dinners there all the time. I am not a huge meat eater but I could always find something there to make me happy.

Columbia's is good too but a totally different type of food than Leroy's.

Melanie
10-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Columbia's is good too but a totally different type of food than Leroy's.

Very true. If you like Cuban though....

I was just thinking, it may be easier to get to the newest Leroy's out in Brandon from downtown using the, what else, Selmon Expressway. :D Will you have a rental, Denise? There's more to do out by International Plaza though. Great mall.

buzznwoodysmom
10-07-2013, 05:54 PM

To be honest here, I have no idea what "Ybor" is! Lol. All I know is that the boys and I will be at the Embassy Suites Downtown Convention Center in Tampa. I think the hotel is providing transportation to and from the party, or DH will take a cab. The kids and I will have the car so we can drive where ever we choose for dinner.

Other than dinner, please feel free to suggest anything that might be of interest on a Friday night for a mom and 2 boys, 13 and 11. We should arrive in Tampa around noon on Friday. DH's party is from 7-10. So we will have some time both before the party with DH and and then from 7-till just the boys and I.

Planning on having breakfast at the little beachside cafe we ate at in Clearwater in Feb. on Saturday morning. Then going to Cigar Fest from 10-1, then heading over to Disney.

Melanie
10-07-2013, 05:57 PM
To be honest here, I have no idea what "Ybor" is! Lol. All I know is that the boys and I will be at the Embassy Suites Downtown Convention Center in Tampa. I think the hotel is providing transportation to and from the party, or DH will take a cab. The kids and I will have the car so we can drive where ever we choose for dinner.

Other than dinner, please feel free to suggest anything that might be of interest on a Friday night for a mom and 2 boys, 13 and 11.

LOL! Ybor City is the heart of the cigar history of Tampa. It's really not far at all from downtown Tampa proper.

Do you like hockey? When are you there? I suggest a hockey game....and you could walk. :D

NJGIRL
10-07-2013, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=Melanie;2380201

Do you like hockey? When are you there? I suggest a hockey game....and you could walk. :D[/QUOTE]

That's what I was going to suggest. When we were in Tampa the Flyers (our team) happened to be playing there. The stadium was very easy to get to and the tickets (at that time at least) were a lot cheaper than back at home. We had seats directly behind the bench. It was a great night!

buzznwoodysmom
10-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Hockey could be fun! Thanks for that suggestion.

eam
10-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Please consider the following:
Mise en Place
French preparation/New American
West Kennedy, Tampa
(Flavor adventure)
Bern's
Howard Avenue
One of the nation's best steakhouses
(Famous wine Celler)
Oystercatcher's