PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades?

TexasPrincessAurora
10-04-2013, 03:14 PM
When you check in how do you ask whether there are complimentary upgrades available? I've always struggled with how to put this to the CM when I'm checking in.

And has anyone had any luck at CBR with upgrades?

buzznwoodysmom
10-04-2013, 04:19 PM
I just don't do it. Lol. I do not feel comfortable asking for a FREE upgrade. I usually book the room/view I want if its important to me.

If I were to inquire about upgrading our view/room upon check in I would ask "how much will it cost us to upgrade our room to xyz?" Then I would be prepared to pay for said upgrade if it's available.

Polynesian Dweller
10-04-2013, 04:35 PM
When you check in how do you ask whether there are complimentary upgrades available? I've always struggled with how to put this to the CM when I'm checking in.

And has anyone had any luck at CBR with upgrades?

Just ask for an upgrade. Do not imply free or complimentary. That increases the odds of not getting one. Upgrades are done for a hotel's business reasons and one of those reasons is not to lose money. Free upgrades are given for reasons like room out of service (needs maintenance), over booking (it happens), hoping to upsell in the future (ie you try a better room once you'll want it again) and yes sometimes to surprise you (ie hopefully making you more likely to come back and also tell your friends about it).

But also, only a small percentage of room nights ( often 5% or less) will be upgraded any given night and those will be given to those the front desk think it will have the most positive effect on and that usually isn't people asking for free upgrades.

So ask if an upgrade is available (that's always ok to do ) but increase your chances by not asking for free and hopefully you'll get a nice surprise and get one.

spoiledraf
10-04-2013, 07:00 PM
I sometimes throw out a comment that I'm perfectly willing to take a better room if someone wants mine! Of coarse it has never worked but I try. I've actually gotten three upgrades in the last eight visits including one to the Steeplechase Suite (Presidential Suite) at the Boardwalk in the year of a Million Dreams. I'll mention that to the cast member checking us in and challenge them to do better. All in fun of course. I would never actually expect anything especially this next trip as our resort is sold out. But good luck if you try.

Strmchsr
10-05-2013, 07:58 AM
If you ask for an upgrade you'll have to pay for it. They're not going to offer you one for asking. The only way an upgrade happens (and this is extremely rare) is if 1.) They're overbooked or 2.) They're doing a magical moment for 1 family that day. Either way, asking for it won't get you one unless you're willing to pay for it.

Susan A
10-05-2013, 08:17 PM
I wanted to ask for an upgrade at the Poly, but it was hard to do. I Asked if the resort was full. When she said yes, I knew it wasn't an option anyway. It's awkward to ask for something for free.

DisneyFan1979
10-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Since all my recent trips to Disney have been at nonpeak times--I've found that we've gotten an unasked for upgrade to a room with a better than standard view almost all the time. Many times at check-in, the castmember has said--I see that they've upgraded you a water view. I just went 2 weeks ago and had booked a standard 1-BR villa at the Boardwalk and our room had a HUGE balcony overlooking the boardwalk green and the water--absolutely stunning!

So in short, I really haven't had to ask much. However, a couple years ago we stayed at the Swan for Christmas and I simply and politely asked: 'Any chance of an upgrade?" The staffmember looked in the computer and moved us to a higher floor so we'd have a better view. So my best advice, is to simply be polite and friendly. If you're celebrating a special event like a birthday or anniversary, it probably wouldn't hurt to mention it.