PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding, stollers and groceries

Susan A
10-03-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm looking for some advice/suggesions:

We have two kids and one single stroller. My plan was to purchased a used umbrella stroller with a canopy for our upcoming trip. (They each have to have one). I was also going to send a box with cereal, snacks, detergent, etc. to the resort. I'm not exactly what else I'll put in it because I'm worried about weight and have no idea how much postage will cost.

When I visited the groceries and strollers site, they have a special. If I rent a stroller, which looks pretty nice, I can have groceries delivered without the delivery fee. Now I'm not sure what to do. I tend to focus a little too much on saving money....

Has anyone done either scenarios, or both? Tell me your experiences. :mickey:

Strmchsr
10-03-2013, 10:33 AM
I'd suggest giving strollers and groceries a try. I have heard nothing but great things about them and it'll definitely save you a good bit in postage. Plus you won't have to worry about buying a stroller.

vamaggie
10-06-2013, 10:09 AM
If you don't really need the 2nd stroller except for at WDW I'd go with the rental. If you need it for the airport, at home or other vacations, I'd buy one. Regarding snacks, I'd also check the difference between checking an extra suitcase with snacks etc vs sending a box vs groceries & stroller delivery. Figure out what you plan to send, weigh it and then compare prices. Also factor in that if you mail it, you have to get it done ahead of time, take it to be mailed etc. (not sure how much free time you have)

AgentC
10-06-2013, 05:51 PM
I have rented a stroller through Strollers & Groceries as well as a different company.

The strollers are much nicer than the average umbrella stroller with plenty of storage room. We had a great experience renting and I recommend it.

NJGIRL
10-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Honestly, I have never understood mailing a box of stuff to the resort. If you put anything of weight (drinks etc) in it you can spend a fortune on postage.

I find the grocery delivery companies charge a fair price for their services. The delivery charges aren't that bad either. Most don't even have a charge if you spend over a certain amount. We always have groceries delivered to our room. I have never even considered mailing a box.

We primary get water, soda, juice, breakfast foods, and a few snacks delivered.

Disney1977
10-06-2013, 07:03 PM
We mail a box of gluten free food to the resort and have groceries delivered. The mailing fee is usually around $30. Then we order beverages and frozen stuff from the grocery delivery service.

We have never rented a stroller from offsite, just from Disney in the parks.

Have a great trip.

NJGIRL
10-08-2013, 08:31 AM
We mail a box of gluten free food to the resort and have groceries delivered.

This I can understand. If you have dietary needs that you think a regular grocery store can't fulfill buying it yourself and mailing it is understandable.

Susan A
10-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks
I never considered just filling another suitcase with snacks. I think SW allows one bag per person and two kids will share a suitcase. Since we're using Magical Express, it won't be difficult having another suitcase.

Maybe I'll have perishables delivered to the resort. My picky son has to have his squeeze yogurts everyday. I doubt they sell boxes of them in the food court or gift shop

We gotta have 2 strollers. My son likes to get on the Peg and hide when he is overloaded. They also fight over the stroller. :(

Opus X
10-08-2013, 04:28 PM
We, when we drive...used to bring a cheap stroller the kids shared as they got a bit tired.
Once our son turned 6 he wanted no part of a stroller...:thumbsup:
Our daughter, who is 5 the last trip barely used it.
So, a cheapo is the way to go.
We open and close the parks. When our daughter did use a stroller...it was minimal.
I wouldn't ship food to the resorts either...too $$
Just get it there.
We also fly S.W. and use the kids "free" luggage of one each to pack xtras.
no need to ship. Each ticked passenger gets one free bag to check.
Note: ours used to fight over the stroller a bit also.
Then I remembered advise my mom gave me...STOP using the stroller. Make them get exercise...get them used to walking!!
She got me out of one at 3!! She kept her sanity. lol

vamaggie
10-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Thanks
I never considered just filling another suitcase with snacks. I think SW allows one bag per person and two kids will share a suitcase. Since we're using Magical Express, it won't be difficult having another suitcase.

Maybe I'll have perishables delivered to the resort. My picky son has to have his squeeze yogurts everyday. I doubt they sell boxes of them in the food court or gift shop

We gotta have 2 strollers. My son likes to get on the Peg and hide when he is overloaded. They also fight over the stroller. :(

What we have done when our flight was not too long (like a nonstop from DC to MCO) was freeze the squeeze yogurts and then pack them in a small insulated lunch box with an icepack in the suitcase (in a ziploc too). This also gave us the lunch box to use. If the yogurt is the only perishable thing you think you may not be able to find in a gift shop, this may work.

Susan A
10-10-2013, 09:33 AM
What a great idea freezing the yogurts. I'll have to think about that. How cold were they when your luggage arrived? We're leaving from BWI. Yogurts aren't as perishable as other items.

My husband will think it's nuts or genius when I share that.

vamaggie
10-10-2013, 06:33 PM
What a great idea freezing the yogurts. I'll have to think about that. How cold were they when your luggage arrived? We're leaving from BWI. Yogurts aren't as perishable as other items.

My husband will think it's nuts or genius when I share that.

They were semi thawed but still very cold. We did have ice packs in there too. And a towel wrapped around and in a zip loc (I really didn't want anything leaking out into our or anyone else's luggage)