Supporting Cast:

Courtney (DD#1)
Jason (DFSIL)
Wall-E (puppy)

Non-Disney days:

9/13, 9/14, and 9/23

Non-Disney Hotel

Courtyard By Marriott Melbourne

Our trip begins on Friday, 9/13/13. Ron had a full day of work and Emily, a full day of school. Luckily, Matt had off today. He was able to switch at the last minute. He had been scheduled to work until 10 PM! Still we had no idea when we would be able to hit the road, but it worked out to be about 7PM, better than what I had hoped for.

I picked up the rental car from Enterprise as soon as Emily was home from school. I cannot say enough good things about this Enterprise location. We had been loyal Budget customers located across the street from Enterprise, but the last few experiences were not pleasant ones! Enterprise staff was super friendly and helpful and gave us a nice comfortable clean car. The same cannot be said for those across the street. Will only use Enterprise from now on.

I got home , packed a few last minute items, and then Matt got all the luggage in the trunk and all of the trip essentials in the back seat. I can't say much about our trip down as it was really uneventful, which was made easier my our departure time since both girls were out like a light within 2 hrs. They remained so until morning. We made our usual stops at for gas at our favorite locations as well as at the Florida Welcome Center for some orange juice. We also stopped for some muffins at a Perkins for some breakfast in Savannah.

We arrived in Melbourne about 1PM and met Courtney and Jason and their new puppy Wall-E for lunch. Hallie and I had met Wall-E in March when the first got him, but for everyone else it was their first time meeting him. He is such a sweetheart. So playful and he loves kids. Hallie absolutely fell in love with him and she is usually skittish around dogs. On our last trip, Hallie suddenly pulled a shy act around Jason even though she had never been before. We were all surprised when she jumped out of the car and said "Hi Jason!", exuberantly and gave him a hug! She quickly became his and Courtney's best buddy. We had lunch at Mustard's Last Stand as it has outdoor seating available and therefore Wall-E is welcome. Afterwards, Ron was in desperate need of a nap, so we went and checked in. We have stayed at several hotels in the area, but this is a repeat for us. We really didn't need a room down by the beach as we would be leaving very early the next morning and I found a great rate on this room. They have completely refurbished this hotel and although your basic hotel, I'm extremely satisfied. Everything was fresh and new. The beds were queen size and extremely comfortable. Pillows were nothing if not abundant. The toiletries were Paul Mitchell products with separate shampoo and conditioner which was great for us. Also a full size hairdryer.

While Ron took his nap, Matt and the girls chilled in the pool and I went to see Courtney and Jason's new place. I loved it. It's just perfect for them! It's two bedrooms, a small kitchen, big living room and screened in patio. They got all new furniture when they moved and it looks lovely. There is a pool and a little dog park for Wall-E to play in. It is also so close to their work location that they an come home for lunch and to visit Wall-E. After talking for a little while Courtney and I decided to drive up to some stores in Viera and do a little shopping. I wound up getting some desperately needed new clothes for myself and some birthday presents for Ron whose birthday is on the 22nd. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed myself since it has been such a long time since I've had a mother/daughter shopping excursion with Courtney!

It was getting a little a little late so we headed back. Ron was up from his nap now and ready to go for dinner at his favorite Melbourne restaurant. I went and picked up the others and we met Courtney and Jason there. Dinner was awesome as usual. Afterwards, Ron also wanted his favorite ice cream, but Matt was the only other one who had room for dessert. Courtney and Jason took the girls to their place to see it and play with Wall-E. I stayed with the boys and after they got their ice cream I directed Ron how to get to Courtney and Jason's. We had a great time just hanging out, talking, and playing with Wall-E. But we had to get up very early the next morning to drive up to Disney so we had to get going. Hallie really didn't want to leave Wall-E, since she wouldn't be seeing him for a long time. But at least she was thrilled that Courtney and Jason would also be driving up to Disney to spend the day with us!!!

Since it is a non-Disney day I will just report on our drive home to get it out of the way. I say "report" like there is something really to report, but not really. It was another uneventful ride home during which I slept through most of it! I was exhausted.We arrived home about 2:30 PM, unloaded the car and returned it. Got something for dinner, Emily finished her homework, and we settled down fairly early sine it was back to work for Ron and Matt the next day and school for Emily.

faline
10-03-2013, 11:53 AM
What a pleasant time you had! It must be hard to have Courtney living so far away and being able to see her so sporadically! Glad you had a good visit to start your vacation!!

RedSoxFan
10-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Sounds like a very nice visit with Courtney.:mickey:

princessgirls
10-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Great day catching up with Courtney, Jason and Wall-E!

Thanks for sharing Heather!

Julie:mickey:

amorillo
10-10-2013, 07:53 PM
A daughter in Florida.... sounds good and bad... bad that you have to be so far apart.... good that you have an excellent reason to go to Florida! :D

DisneyorBust
10-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Sounds like you had some great family time! Thanks for sharing.

vizsla
10-16-2013, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the report.