PDA

View Full Version : September Soiree Part II Magic Band Experiences Part 2

Beach Club Babe
10-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Cont. from previous post

Also, when I prioritized my AP on the Magic Band I was told to double check with concierge upon check in and if it was not correct, they could fix it for me. Well not surprisingly, it was not prioritized and the CM Victor, told me he could not fix it, I would have to go to guest relations. But sensing my unhappiness, he called for a manager who was able to help me by calling the Magic Band people once again. Problem resolved! Yes, I did check at the gates to make sure that it was indeed reading my AP first.

Another note about regular fastpass. According to the website you are not eligible for regular fastpass if you have the bands. However, i was told by a CM on one of my previous phone calls that with your KTTW card, you could indeed get regular fastpass as the two systems are not yet linked. So if you didn't want to use the band or FP+ system you could still use the regular fastpass system.

As far as making the fastpass selections, almost every selection I made from home needed to be changed by either time, attraction, or park altogether. I also found it very time consuming to use the phone app as it was very slow and you need to keep backing out if you need to make more than one change. "On the go"? I don't think so. Our first issue came on our first day since I did not know ahead of time that Courtney and Jason would be joining us on that day. However, oddly enough their FL AP's worked in the FP+ kiosk. First though, I had to cancel out our previously scheduled FP+'s at MK since we would be now going to Epcot. Still it was tough to coordinate our FP+ times with theirs. With the help of a CM at the kiosk we were able to at least get times that overlapped so that we would all be able to ride together. We had to time everything just perfectly, but we were able to get it done. I'm not really sure that an inexperienced traveler would have been able to make the same situation work.

Probably the worst problem we encountered was when I wanted to go to Guest Relations to exchange my paper AP for a plastic one, just in case. I had thought about getting this done early on in the trip, but the lines for all Guest Relations were outrageous and I never wanted to wait. Finally I spotted no line at GR outside of MK. I explained what I needed to the CM, no problem. Yeah right! First she tells me that it looks like I have two tickets attached my band. Yes, I'm very well aware. She then says that it is not allowed and one ticket must be separated. I explain yet again what I have been through, but she insists it is not allowed. She tells me she is going to separate my AP. No! I tell her as that will mess up all my FP+s with my family. She agrees to take the MYW ticket off. Everything else will remain the same she tells me. Nope! First I am denied entry into the park and I must use my plastic ticket. Next I cannot use a QS credit at lunch. Finally, when we return to the room, I cannot gain entry to that. Another trip to the front desk confirms that she has permanently deactivated it and now I will need to be issued a bland gray one. Not really amused.

Overall, I think the bands are fine for charging and room entry. I would've said park entry as well, but for my Hallie who is 4, she had a hard time reaching the Mickey and/or getting her wrist in the correct position. This slowed things up here as well as the FP+ return stations. I don't really think they work for families with such a diverse group of people. I dreaded having to wear these all day, but it was not as bad as I had imagined. I found myself fidgeting with it on numerous occasions, but I was able to deal with it. I am very surprised that my younger kids wore them and kept them on with no complaint.

I accept that this is the latest technology and they do improve some aspects and this will be permanent. However, I do hope the continue to make huge improvements here especially with the number of FP+'s allowed in one park/per day. 3 or 4 is not enough and with just one park, it makes park hopping a bit more tricky.

DonaldDuckUSA
10-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Oh my goodness. What a nightmare! Sorry it made your trip stressful. I suppose they do testing for this very reason, but its a shame it had to happen. I hope you gave your feedback once your trip was done.

cer
10-02-2013, 02:27 PM
That sounds completely awful!

Disney is tying everything to these bands/cards and when something is off, EVERY SINGLE interaction becomes a hassle. Park entry, fast pass use, charging to your room, using the dining plan, entry into your room...

I am imagining your mounting level of frustration, each time you try to use it, being doubtful and knowing that you would be sent somewhere else to straighten it out - and even worse, not knowing if the problem was corrected.

I hate that you had this experience and I am concerned about my trip in January. :(

Really concerned.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Yep, really not liking the idea of fastpass+

Thanks for the report

Melanie
10-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Awful, awful, AWFUL.

Oh Heather, what a pain. I've tried to pipe down recently about how much I hate all this, but I'm hearing more and more similar reports to yours. It frankly sounds like a complete pain, and I'm not at all surprised.

So sorry!

wildernesslady
10-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Ugh. Not fun. We are arriving in a little over three weeks and are having difficulty linking our passes. My daughter is a CM and it won't accept her passes on the MDE site. Looks like it will be the old fashioned way for us. I hope the rest of your trip went well.

Beach Club Babe
10-02-2013, 05:30 PM
I also wanted to mention that when I explained what happened at MK guest relations when I went to get that issue resolved. I did talk to a manager and insisted that the CM be corrected on what she did to my magic band. It was perfectly OK to have 2 tickets on one band like I had told her. I kept at him until he understood how serious I was about getting her the right information before she did it to someone else.

Mel, as I stated I accept this will be the new way, but I don't really like it. They did work flawlessly for everyone else but me and Hallie in my party. No issues at all for them with park entry, room entry, the dining plan, or charging. I liked that I didn't have to sign a million papers or fumble with everyone's tickets as I had always been the keeper of those in the past.

RedSoxFan
10-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Those magic bands sound like a pain. I have mine customized (they haven't mailed them yet) and did make some fp on line. However, I do not like having to plan out my entire vacation in advance. Bad enough you have to plan ADR's if you want to eat; but to figure out exactly what time/day you want to ride a ride -- not liking it.

faline
10-03-2013, 07:33 AM
Until this get this all squared away, I may have to resign myself to not riding many of the "E" rides. I'm not sure I want to devote this much time of what is supposed to be a relaxed vacation to "scheduling" and/or "rescheduling" my rides. I can handle arriving at a park in the morning (which I may have just selected that morning) and getting to the ride I have a fast pass for within the time frame as obtaining the fast pass only takes a few minutes and can generally be coordinated with everyone who is with me. There are times, even with the regular fast pass system that I forgo getting a fast pass because the return time falls when I know I will be dining or I know I will not be spending that amount of time in that park (For example, I won't get a Toy Story Mania fast pass with a 4 p.m. return time when it is highly unlikely I will still be at that park at 4 in the afternoon). I REALLY don't want to be locked into being at a particular park for a set number of hours to utilize ride times that were booked before I even arrived at Disney World!! The technology is fine but go back to a system that is similar to what they are using now.

Beach Club Babe
10-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Linda, I am not sure if the low crowds had anything to do with it, but in some of the situations you mentioned the FP+ actually did help. Most of the time I could still make my changes the same day or day before and still get FP+ for e-rides. Also that way I could make sure my fastpass was at a time that fit into all of my plans including dining. It is really unnecessary however to allow scheduling them from home. As for your example at TSM it was better not to have to get there first thing in morning and fight the crowds around the Fast Pass Kiosks there. I had a reasonable return time already secured on my band. We rode TSM many more times this trip than we had in the past.

Beach Club Babe
10-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Ugh. Not fun. We are arriving in a little over three weeks and are having difficulty linking our passes. My daughter is a CM and it won't accept her passes on the MDE site. Looks like it will be the old fashioned way for us. I hope the rest of your trip went well.

There is a separate Magic Bands department. If you can speak to someone there perhaps they can help. They are the ones who first got my pass linked to my band even though it took a little while. My pass was actually linked by them.

DisneyDINK
10-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Thanks for being the guinea pig Heather. I just wish they could keep the guinea pigs happier.

Now I'm trying to anticipate the problems I am going to potentially have now in December. I just did a solo trip, so I swapped my paper AP for a plastic RF one, but DW will have to wait until the beginning of the trip to get hers at GR. I wonder if that will mess up the FP+ bookings for us? At least I don't have a situation like yours where I have a MYW and AP one the band which need to be prioritized so I don't get robbed of 2 days.

Melanie summed up my feelings well. Sorry you had so much exasperating trouble, but thanks for the detailed report; it will serve us well.

Checkers
10-03-2013, 05:37 PM
:mickey:We arrive next Fri. (11th) and will be staying at OKW which doesn't start participating until the 14th so our first part of the trip we will not be using Magic Bands or FP+. However, on the 19th we are changing rooms so have been invited to participate in the program.

I renewed our APs and linked the Conf. # to the our Magic Bands and then we could select our FP+ times and our personalized Magic Bands arrived a few days later. So for the first part of our vacation we will be on the old system and the last few days we will get to test the Magic Bands. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Gives me insight into what to look for.

princessgirls
10-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Disney thinks this is going to be appealing to new young families that are experiencing the parks for the first time????? HOW?????

I'm specifically thinking about my brother and sister in law who are taking their 3 little kids in November. SIL already doesn't want to go, This might throw her over the edge. It's just NOT fun!

How are travel agents going to "sell" this to first timers? Disney is a great place, but don't forget to make all your reservations well ahead of time, and reserve your ride times. Suddenly it sounds like work!
Julie:mickey:

amorillo
10-10-2013, 07:46 PM
I liked that I didn't have to sign a million papers or fumble with everyone's tickets as I had always been the keeper of those in the past.

This is probably one of the only positives I see right now! :D I won't have to shuffle through everyone's cards everyday!

Although I am concerned for my BIL & SIL who leave on Sunday. This is only SIL's second trip and BIL's and DN4's first trip.... hopefully things go smoothly for them. I definitely see this as a downer for first timers....

vizsla
10-12-2013, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the report.

DisneyorBust
10-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Horrible experience to say the least. Hopefully, they will get the kinks ironed out quickly. You shouldn't have had to waste so much vacation time sorting thru the mess that they have created.