PDA

View Full Version : Off-property hotel for one night?

DizMagic
09-25-2013, 11:28 PM
We have decided to leave a day earlier than we planned -- 9 days woohoo! -- so we will be spending one night off property. We are going to use that first day for Downtown Disney and letting the kids swim in the hotel pool and then check into our resort and hit the parks the following day. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel in Orlando that is suitable for a family and affordable?

Thanks so much

disney obsessed
09-25-2013, 11:39 PM
I would check out the hotels at downtown disney since that is where you plan to go.

Fangorn
09-26-2013, 01:56 AM
We use the Hampton Inn on Palm Parkway when we do something like that. It's only a couple of miles from the entrance to Downtown Disney. Rooms are nice, free breakfast, and the rates are pretty good. You can definitely find cheaper places, but the Hampton is part of the Hilton chain, and I've always found them to be consistent and a good value.

Steve

1DisneyNut
09-26-2013, 09:55 AM
There are a number of Embassy Suites close by and one is in Lake Buena Vista. We have stayed in that one and the two on International Dr. and all three were nice.

If you want something a little lower priced, the LaQuinta on Universal Blvd. is within walking distance of Point Plaza and many other things on International Dr and it is a nice hotel.

minnie04
09-26-2013, 10:46 AM
We love the Buena Vista Palace across the street from DTD. It has really clean, nice rooms and they usually have good deals :mickey:

mydisneygirls
09-26-2013, 11:39 AM
I would avoid International Drive, especially at night (from what I've heard). I also like the Hampton Inn.

1DisneyNut
09-27-2013, 11:38 AM
I would avoid International Drive, especially at night (from what I've heard). I also like the Hampton Inn.

I have to ask what you have heard because we have stayed on or right off of International Drive 3 times in the last three years and have had no trouble at all. We have walked up and down the sidewalks along International Drive at night and haven't seen anything that would be an issue.

The only thing I can think of that some may complain about is the traffic on International Drive but you can avoid that by using other streets, in particular Universal Blvd; and then cutting over to I-Drive to get where you are going.

There are tons of restaurants and things to do on International Drive. It is almost a destination by itself.

mechanic
09-30-2013, 05:57 PM
A very clean and inexpensive plwce on irlo bronson, is destiny palms.

spoiledraf
10-01-2013, 02:57 PM
We love the Buena Vista Palace across the street from DTD. It has really clean, nice rooms and they usually have good deals :mickey:

Ditto above ^^^

PETE FROM NYC
10-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Driving down, we always get there a day early. We have stayed at Knights Inn on 192 just past the WDW entrance, on the right. A smallish place for around $40 per night.

TheVBs
10-03-2013, 07:58 AM
The one time we ended up in WDW a day early, we just called the on-site resort we had booked and asked if we could check in a night early with a room only charge. Worked out so well for us, that we now plan it that way! Saves us from having to switch hotels, we relax by the pool, get some dinner and are fresh and ready to hit the parks the next morning. Of course, this depends on where you're booked and if adding a night there fits into your budget. Hope you have a great trip! :mickey:

Opus X
10-03-2013, 09:52 AM
WHY? :confused:
International drive is EASY and lots there to choose from.
No issues at all.

SandmanGStefani24
10-26-2013, 10:38 PM

Gotta agree here. Stayed here last trip, and once before and the hotels were both garbage. I did not care for the area as well, and last visit at mcdonalds some thug tried to fight me for no good reason in the parking lot, this was after I was asked for money while eating. While I could have "handled" things (I'm in law enforcement) I played a dumb tourist and got away with the thug only muttering in Spanish (the word matar came up, yes, kill in English as he got into his car). I remembered my skills, namely, the best way to win a fight, is not to get in one.

I always feel uneasy in this area, it just makes me feel like I'm at work, and not very vacationy. I'm glad most haven't experienced bad things here, but it's not somewhere I'd like to be any longer than I have to. I gave it a second chance, and it was bad like the first. (the other visit I had people trying to sell me drugs when I tried to get my bags to my room the first night) The rooms here are cheap for a reason, and I'd just as soon stay on WDW property. Peace of mind and safety are never too expensive for me.