PDA

View Full Version : Akershus with boys

ANG
09-25-2013, 06:31 PM
I'd like some thoughts about Akershus please!

We've never dined here and I'd love to try it. For the food but also the little girl in me wants the experience. But my boys are 2 and 4 yrs old and hardly know any of the princesses. Also DH doesn't really care about the princesses either.

I have always planned on eating there once my boys are old enough to at least recognize them and their stories (but will they even like them by that age?) but with such raving reviews, I'm worried it will become a 2 table credit meal.

That's exactly what happened with Le Celliar before we could eat there.

All four of us LOVE LOVE LOVE Chef Mickey's. Is the interaction similar?

Should I just book there anyways?

Pop Centurion
09-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Interaction is really good but different than Chef Mickey's
The Princesses are sweet & proper. I doubt the boys or your husband will dislike it. I wasn't sure what to think when my wife & I went but they had me smiling like a kid. It earned a return visit from us.
I would definitely book it, I think you will all be pleasantly surprised.

Niecyboo
09-25-2013, 08:58 PM
I have 2 daughters and a son and we have always loved this restaurant, even my DS. Have one of my favorite memories with him here too. He was about 5 and we were enjoying our meal when a manager walked by and noticed a little girl's dress up shoe was laying in the middle of the floor. She'd been climbing around and being a "kid" when it must have fallen off. He picked it up but instead of just handing it back to the family, he announced loudly "Hear Ye, Hear Ye. We have a princess with a lost slipper. I need to find a Prince to help return her slipper." He came over and brought my son to the middle of the restaurant and made a big deal of asking him if he was married and if he'd assist this princess. Then had my son kneel down and place the slipper back on this little girls foot. He doesn't really remember this very much, but he is 11 and still loves going there.

Susan A
09-25-2013, 09:37 PM
I'm glad you asked this question because I was wondering how our visit to this restaurant will go. My daughter is 7 and my son is 5. He knows many of the princesses because he watches the movies with his sister. He actually enjoys watching "Sofia the First".
He knows princesses are girls, but we don't tell the kids that a movie or character is for girls. I think he'll have a good time. I'm sure the princesses know how to talk to young princes....

Janmac
09-27-2013, 02:07 PM
I say, book it. You never know til you try. Akershus is different than Chef Mickey's.

We were here with a 7 yr old boy who definitely was out of sorts at having to be with Princesses. Frown, folded arms, etc. Until Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) came to the table. Unbeknownst to him, he did have a princess he liked. He was all big eyes and totally enthralled. And then Mulan came by and she even knew a martial arts pose he knew. We have a photo of them doing the pose together. He was having such a good time he forgot himself and went on the parade around the restaurant.

Jan

Susan A
09-27-2013, 03:10 PM
That's too funny! Do you have photos of him in the parade?

Janmac
09-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Not very good ones. I was too lazy (eating too much) to get close for photos. The restaurant is dark, also.

The Akershus parade is just walking around following the Princesses. We like the breakfast at Tusker House at AK much better for parading, as kids get instruments to shake as they walk around. And the lighting is better.

However, we like the Akershus food so much. The potato casserole which comes to the table is wonderful and we like the cold buffet offerings a lot - the fish and cheeses especially.

Jan

NJGIRL
09-28-2013, 08:13 PM
I have seen boys in there, but IMO it is geared towards girls, They do a princess parade and most of the boys I saw really weren't interested.

Cinderelley
10-08-2013, 10:52 AM
I think your boys are the perfect age to go. They aren't at the "ewww girls" stage yet.

We took my nephew when he was about that age. He was completely enthralled with Jasmine. She gave him a kiss on the forehead that left a perfect imprint of her lips from her lipstick. It was a story that the whole family still laughs about.

Goes4FastPass
10-09-2013, 02:50 PM
We took our 6YO grandson to CRT (which I realize is not Akershus) and he had a SWELL time. Each princess made a fuss over him. He was wearing battery powered Christmas lights (It was a MVMCP night) and Ariel exclaimed, "You've gizmos and gadgets!" When he stood next Jasmine he was surprised her midriff was bare! She put him in an Alladdin pose, hit her pose beside him and pop went the flash. Then there was the dinner where he spent 10 minutes making ugly faces with the hilarious wicked stepsisters. In all cases, I had the impression part of princess training was, little girls have brothers. Give 'em a smile and they'll blush.

jillluvsdisney
10-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Last May, a friend was at Disney with her family and grandkids. They had breakfast at Akershus. Both grandkids were 4. Her grand daughter was dressed as Cinderella and her grand son was dressed up like Prince Charming.
All the princesses went crazy over him.

We ate there with out any children for my Mom's birthday and were very happy. The interaction and food were great.

Scrappy2
10-11-2013, 10:52 PM
I say book it. My daughter wanted to eat there this summer. Her graduation trip and this was the restaurant she picked. We also had our 4 year old grandson. He had a very good time as well. Food is really good and character interaction was good. Like others have said much different than Chef Mickey. The princesses are ladies and act like ladies. Still a lot of fun. Mom deserves to eat where she wants to sometimes!