PDA

View Full Version : Same rides in FL/CA

DNS
09-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Been to WDW many time. Leaving soon for first trip to Disneyland. Of the rides that both resorts have, are they exactly the same?

Strmchsr
09-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Not quite. The DLR version is usually better. Plus if you're going end of Sept/early Oct you'll see the cool overlays of the Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain that don't come to WDW. Those are extra cool.

Mackflava99
09-24-2013, 02:17 PM
What do you mean by overlays?

Strmchsr
09-24-2013, 02:24 PM
What do you mean by overlays?

The Haunted Mansion is given a complete make-over during Sept and Oct and becomes themed with Nightmare Before Christmas (check YouTube and you can find ride-throughs). Space Mountain is given the "Ghost Galaxy" overlay where the music and imagery is changed to more of a haunted space ride. Both are very cool and make for unique experiences.

Kenny1113
09-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Not quite. The DLR version is usually better. Plus if you're going end of Sept/early Oct you'll see the cool overlays of the Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain that don't come to WDW. Those are extra cool.

I will have to remember this. I knew about the HM one but not the space mountain. We Will have to take a trip to CA during this time.

thads
09-24-2013, 03:33 PM
My feel is that there are a few rides that are clearly better in 1 park, or the other. For example, Pirates of the Caribbean and Small World are much better at DLR. They Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror are better in Florida. That said, if you hit the HM when it is set up for Nightmare before Christmas (October), then it adds a new flare that is fun. I would try to coordinate your visit with all the fall/Halloween stuff. DLR does a wonderful job with the fall decor.

Melanie
09-24-2013, 03:55 PM
I will have to remember this. I knew about the HM one but not the space mountain. We Will have to take a trip to CA during this time.

And they overlay It's A Small World at Christmas. It's awesome!

For example, Pirates of the Caribbean and Small World are much better at DLR. They Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror are better in Florida. That said, if you hit the HM when it is set up for Nightmare before Christmas (October), then it adds a new flare that is fun.

I pretty much agree with this. I like that ToT is a little different at DCA, but it's once in a blue moon that I ride anymore, so it doesn't really matter that much to me. I like the thermal waving effect (for a lack of better words) before the first drop at DCA.

Almost all the Fantasyland rides (the few that are now duplicates) are better at Disneyland. Soarin', Toy Story Mania and Ariel's Undersea Adventure at DCA are the same attraction as WDW, but the queues are different. Jungle Cruise, Splash Mt. and Big Thunder Mt. are pretty much a draw to me.

But like was said earlier, Pirates and Space Mt. are the 2 rides that are far superior at Disneyland. It's honestly a letdown for me at Magic Kingdom when I ride those now.

DNS
09-24-2013, 04:45 PM
We are going after New Years. Sounds like we will miss some great Holiday effects. In what way is Pirates different (better) at DL? I can't imagine liking one more the WDW. It is my favorite.

tinkwest
09-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Since the subject of overlays came up . . . for clarification . . . Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy is roughly mid/late September through Halloween - Holiday Haunted Mansion, with the Nightmare Before Christmas cast, is up and running from about mid September through the first week of January - it's a small world Holiday (my favorite!) usually opens up about one week in to November and remains as this version through about half the month of January.

Melanie
09-24-2013, 05:02 PM
We are going after New Years. Sounds like we will miss some great Holiday effects. In what way is Pirates different (better) at DL? I can't imagine liking one more the WDW. It is my favorite.

You'll feel the difference as soon as you float out from the loading area. It's much longer, with more show rooms and more drops. They just didn't have the room in WDW to build it similar to the Disneyland version.

BrerGnat
09-24-2013, 08:08 PM

The Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean tells the WHOLE story. The WDW version is like the cliff's notes.

Melanie
09-24-2013, 10:57 PM
The Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean tells the WHOLE story. The WDW version is like the cliff's notes.

I like to think of it as the old man at the cabin at the beginning reminiscing about his years as a pirate. But I've been told that it's not supposed to be thought of that way. :shrug:

bruin1344
09-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Pirates, Space Mountain, and Fantasyland rides (pre-recent WDW renovation since I havent been recently) are better at DLR. I am now disappointed with the WDW version of Pirates because DLR blows it away.

Splash Mountain and TOT are better in WDW. I like the country/south feel of the WDW Splash Mountain version better than the jazzy DLR version of Splash Mountain.

Any of the rides I missed are too similar.

DNS
09-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Wow - sounds fabulous! Can't wait to go! We almost went a few years ago while we were in southern California, but had just been to WDW not long before and decided to skip DL for other places. We thought DL was a duplicate of Magic Kingdom, but later was told, it's better. We have always regretted not going then. And now we also have California Adventure.
Thanks everyone!

Melanie
09-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Wow - sounds fabulous! Can't wait to go! We almost went a few years ago while we were in southern California, but had just been to WDW not long before and decided to skip DL for other places. We thought DL was a duplicate of Magic Kingdom, but later was told, it's better. We have always regretted not going then. And now we also have California Adventure.
Thanks everyone!

You're going to love it!

Carol
09-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Much prefer Disneyland over WDW's Magic Kingdom. It's more up-close and personal. Lots more bang for the buck. Not to mention you can 'feel' Walt in the park. Whole difference ambiance.

Have a wonderful time. :balloon:

Gator
10-18-2013, 03:58 PM
I'll chime in. Tower, Splash MT, HM, the Treehouse, and the Tea Cups (covered) are better in FL. But in Cali, I really prefer BTMRR (even though it's always broke down), Space Mt (by far), Pirates, and Small World. Soarin' is easier to get to at DL, and better outside theming. I hear that Fantasmic! is better, but i also hear that you have to grab a spot 4 hours before the show start, and there's no benches and pathetic views.

For me, living in CA, I see it this way. I go to the Disney park I can afford. Things are tight, so I'm skipping plane tickets to FL. But when the money is back, there's no doubt where I'll be going, whether one place has better attractions or not.

lasttuesday
10-28-2013, 12:35 AM
I just got back (this morning!) from my first DL trip after going to WDW a dozen or more times growing up. I had the typical "bigger is better" east-coaster attitude. It took about 35 seconds for me to start questioning that approach and after riding a couple of rides I REALLY started seeing the difference. After riding Pirates and the Matterhorn at DL, I realized I'd never be content going to the MK again. While it is literally impossible to put into words how "different" they are (while ostensibly following the same format), I could only think of one area that WDW won...the "long shot." DL doesn't have room to set up grand panoramas like WDW (for example, the walk up the hill to the Haunted Mansion is replaced by a sidewalk about 20 feet long), but that makes it MUCH easier to get around and saves a ton of time and footwork getting around the park. Otherwise, I found DL to be superior in every way. This is especially true of the Fantasyland dark rides (who would have thought that Peter Pan would be worth a 50 minute wait with no kids?) and Pirates. I cannot put into words how much better PotC is at DL than WDW...it is jaw-dropping. And the best part is that we now have Annual Passes! (Though moving to Las Vegas was a painful transition from Chicago.)

2Epcot
10-28-2013, 09:53 PM
I just got back (this morning!) from my first DL trip after going to WDW a dozen or more times growing up. I had the typical "bigger is better" east-coaster attitude. It took about 35 seconds for me to start questioning that approach and after riding a couple of rides I REALLY started seeing the difference.

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. There are many things I love about WDW as a resort, but comparing The Magic Kingdom to Disneyland, I find Disneyland the winner.

mickclub1955
11-08-2013, 09:59 PM
I agree with all of the posts above, but one ride that seems to get missed between the two parks and it is way better at DL is the Autopia. We rode this and really enjoyed it. The whole theming is totally different. Each car has its own personality.

frozman
12-22-2013, 03:24 AM
I guess I'll comment too. Looking through the posts, I think the advice you've received is 100% accurate, so I'll comment on the smaller things. The monorail is interesting because almost immediatley after leaving the [tommorrowland] station, you see all the hotels and restaurants (and congestion) on harbor blvd, you'll also see some nice views of CA Adventure. In DL, the Monorail is more of an attraction as opposed to WDW's where it's a transportation service. It does have a station near the back of DTD so it can be used as a mode of transportation.
Also, the tiki room has no preshow, but the nice thing about this attraction is that you can see when it's letting people in as you are walking by so there's no need to wait for it.
The Disneyland Railroad (which has 4 stations)has a display of (I believe) dinosaurs between the Tomorrowland and Main Street stations, also the trains are different, on one of them all the seats are sideways.

Also, as you already have your plans made I know the subject of overlays will not affect you, but let me comment on them anyway for future trips. The Haunted Mansion Holiday is just the best, if I'm there from Mid Jan-Early Sept, this is an attraction I'll probably only do once, but if I'm there Mid Sept-Early Jan I will do it several times. As for Space Mountain, I strongly prefer the normal ride to Ghost Galaxy, with that said I tend to plan my trips for either November or December. Small World Holiday I can take or leave, good ride, but the originals good too.

1DisneyNut
12-22-2013, 09:25 AM
I am about to burst with excitement and anticipation after reading through this thread.

We are taking our first trip to DL this summer. We have been to WDW so many times, I lost count but have never made the trip to DL because I also had the WDW is bigger and better mentality. FP+ nudged us in the direction of going to DL instead.

I am so fired up right now, I can hardly sit here and type. lol

Melanie
12-22-2013, 09:41 AM
I am about to burst with excitement and anticipation after reading through this thread.

We are taking our first trip to DL this summer. We have been to WDW so many times, I lost count but have never made the trip to DL because I also had the WDW is bigger and better mentality. FP+ nudged us in the direction of going to DL instead.

I am so fired up right now, I can hardly sit here and type. lol

Well, whatever it takes to get you to the original Happiest Place on Earth! lol

You should be bursting with excitement - it's incredible. No mega planning necessary. A little is advisable, but overall it's so much more laid back.