PDA

View Full Version : Poly Luau dinner show, your thoughts?

Terra
09-24-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm finally thinking of doing the Poly dinner Luau show.
I know it's pricey, but in a nutshell, it's Disney. I love Disney. I loved Hoop Dee Doo. Love O'Hanas.

Am wondering about your experiences/thoughts? What to look for? Avoid, etc.

Does seating *really* make a difference [as in tier/level]?

faline
09-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Loved the old Polynesian Revue show. Have done the new show once and have not been in a hurry to do it again. The dancing is nice; the flamethrower is always interesting to watch; the silly story line does not appeal to me.

SBETigg
09-24-2013, 01:52 PM
I haven't gone in years, so no good advice except that considering you've enjoyed the other shows, I think you will enjoy this one, too.

Last time I went was on my honeymoon, so twenty three years ago. And then, the food was terrible but the show was entertaining.

Terra
09-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Oh no. I hope the food has improved. I have to say I *am* one of the weird ones who swears up and down that the hot dogs even taste better in WDW! :secret:

I'd really love to surprise my husband with an night out. He finally landed a teaching job again at a boarding type school for ESE students. And I also received a promotion/raise at work. Teaching as well! So I'd really love to celebrate. Though he is not a Disney buff. He'd go for a show and dinner.
Especially if he can get an adult beverage while there:beer:

twinboyz
09-25-2013, 10:39 AM
We've gone three times over the last four years. The food is great! The show is very fun. We've been to both the early and the late show. I've been picked to go on stage and dance.. lots of fun!:thumbsup: The night show was better for the fire thrower, but either is fine. I always pony up the extra funds and do category 1 seating when it's available. It's awesome not having to hover over other people to see the show. But that's my opinion. You'll enjoy the show either way.

#1donaldfan
09-25-2013, 11:55 AM
It is a terrible show and the food is not good at all, and if you go in the summer you will melt in the heat.

Seating does matter unless you don't care to sit off to the side and near the back.

It's a terrible set up for the hot summer months and it's not much better when it's cooler....it needs a huge re-vamp !! :mickey:

pox24
09-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Not as good as it used to be. Not worth it. Go to Hoop Dee Doo instead.

Terra
09-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Not as good as it used to be. Not worth it. Go to Hoop Dee Doo instead.

Thanks for the input! Good to hear all sides.
Hmmm, he make like Hoop Dee Doo as well. If I remember right is the Beer/Wine included?

mydisneygirls
09-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Yes, beer and wine is included. We love the Hoop Dee Doo. Haven't been to the Luau because haven't heard great things about it.

rjmdds
09-26-2013, 11:38 AM
We've done both the luau and Hoop Dee Doo. I say go with Hoop Dee Doo all the way. The luau was nice. I checked the box to say we've done it but I am in no hurry to go back. The Hoop Dee Doo I would do every time. It is just a fun show and the food is pretty good. It is a little more complicated to get to but well worth it.

mydisneygirls
09-26-2013, 11:43 AM
It is a little more complicated to get to but well worth it.

If you go to the Contemporary or Wilderness Lodge (from Magic Kingdom), you can get a boat over to the Campground which will drop you off 50 feet from Pioneer Hall.

faline
09-26-2013, 11:46 AM
And, when we've gone, there are busses available after the show to go back to the various resorts. However, if you linger too long, they may no longer to available and you'd need to use the regular transportion system.

Janmac
09-27-2013, 02:04 PM
We've done both - we'd go back to HDDR quicker than the Luau.

The Luau would be a quieter meal than HDD. If I were to do the Luau again, I'd be sure to get the front tier seating. We had back tier and weren't happy with the view. We were there in September and were not overly hot. Food was ok, but I didn't think we were there for the food. One thing about the Luau, if it rains, or the stage is wet, the show probably won't go on.

HDD is inside, probably not any bad tables since the venue is smaller, food is not the draw here either. Much louder - but way more energy - face might hurt from grinning. If (when) I go here again, I think I will have some foam ear plugs. :D

Jan

tomatoe pie
10-13-2013, 06:27 PM
we have only been once and have never wanted to go back. we felt it a waste of our time and money. we did not enjoy the food or the show.

time at dw is almost as important as your money.:yes:

jnfr2424
10-13-2013, 08:15 PM
DH & I done it twice for Thanksgiving( we always do anything untraditional) First time we loved it, second time, we hated it and wont go back
The food was mediocre (cold rice and chicken) and the show is really cheesy plus if its a cool night you will freeze.
If you do try it sit in the first tier otherwise save your money and go back to the Hoop De Doo

MrPeetrie
10-16-2013, 08:07 AM
We went to luau in 2001 and have not felt the need to return. Nothing great in our opinion.

Hoop Dee Do, on the other hand, is a MUST-DO each vacation. Fun show. Corny jokes. Best fried chicken on property IMO.