PDA

View Full Version : Economical WDW

thejens
09-17-2013, 10:58 PM
I have a friend who was amazed by my talk of AKL and then shocked by the price. She wants to go to WDW, but needs it to be more economical. Can you help me help her to figure out when is the most economical time to go to WDW. I know that the value resorts would be least expensive. Any other suggestions?

Opus X
09-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Only buy the MYW base ticket...NO park hoper.
And, dont spend alot on keepsakes.
For us...I work overtime any and every chance I can. That alone...more than pays for a trip to WDW!!:thumbsup:
Dont mess with anything but the values.
Dont stay off property..after resort fees...parking costs...it will be more than the value.
Or, such a minimal savings...it isnt worth it

gueli
09-18-2013, 01:29 AM
The best time to go...

Disney usually offers dinning and/or room discounts during September...

Many years ago, when I was out of school, I took a trip here during September. The parks were empty. It seemed to me that I was the only American here (not that it mattered, I love listening to other people accents)...no lines, but be warned it is just as hot as during the summer...
Now there are lots more people here during September...
:mickey:

faline
09-18-2013, 07:40 AM
How large a group will be travelling with your friend? If she will be bringing children, how old are the kids? With these specifics, I could provide some additional suggestions for paring down costs.

Pirate Granny
09-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Plan to eat breakfast and possible lunch in room or bring a small cooler to take lunch into the parks. Eat at counter services only. Stay OUUTA the STORES.

Dulcee
09-18-2013, 09:37 AM
Value resorts will help. As could staying off property. If they have young kids or would need to rent a car though I'd highly suggest staying on property.

Look closely at the time of year. If kids are in school its a safe bet that prices for resorts are lower. If its a school holiday week they'll go through the roof.

Do breakfast in the room. Having groceries delivered to your resort if flying is well worth it. If you drive its even more economical.

Avoid the water park and more option and park hoppers. If its a first time visit a park hopper usually isn't a great idea anyway as it can get overwhelming.

Price out meals in advance. Lunch is easily packed and brought into the parks. Plan 1 or 2 sit down meals (this is after all a vacation!) and find interesting counter service for the others.

For sit down meals, especially in EPCOT, plan on lunch instead of dinner. They'll have many of the same options but prices are a bit lower.

Do WDW, not all the Orlando parks. Adding Universal/Seaworld etc can really add up on ticket costs.

Set budgets in advance for souvenirs. With kids putting X amount of dollars for spending on a gift card can avoid over spending. I limit myself to one personal purchase each trip and wait until the end of the trip to buy it.

For other "park necessities" with kids get them in advance. Glow toys for parades and fireworks, autograph books, mickey mouse pens and t shirts can all be purchased for a fraction of the price in advance at home. Pull them out on vacation and kids won't know the difference.

Plan a park bag in advance. Carry water bottles, extra dry socks, tylenol, baby powder, snacks etc. Having to buy these items in the parks can add up quick.

We've done all sides of the spectrum on WDW trips, from watching every penny to going all out. You can have a great time either way and one of the nice sides to WDW is you really can plan just about a perfect budget in advance if you have to.

princessgirls
09-18-2013, 11:29 AM
1. We stay at the Pop.
2. Disney Visa Card holders, save our "points" and cash in our rewards in the form of a debit card to use for extra's in the parks
3. Only book a trip when I can get a promo!!! Free Dining truly works for us. I have run the numbers. It is a SAVINGS! I pay the difference between the counter service that is part of the promo for staying at a value resort and the DDP.
4. Although a little on the expensive side, I order from Garden Grocer quick breakfast items, milk, fruit and 2 cases of water for our room. I pack paper products in my carry on, and we eat breakfast in the room, and take a few waters and snack with us each day. In the end, the time and savings works out.
5. No car rental! I USE Magic Express and Disney Transportation!!!!
6. I fly on "off" days so we might vacation from a Thursday to Thursday. The beauty of Disney is it does not matter when you come or go!
7. We go for a week, as the cost of the tickets is the almost the same as if we went for 4 days.
Hope this helps!
Julie:mickey:

cer
09-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Also, you need to be aware that not all Value Resorts are priced equally, even though the room size and room amenities are the same.

So, you will pay more for the same room at AoA and POP than you will for the All Stars and even then you will pay more for Movies than Music or Sports. :confused:

gottaluvtink
09-18-2013, 12:31 PM
I go every year and am able to do so because I always stay in a value resort, and go off peak, September or January. We take advantage of the free dining, and we never get park hoppers. There is plenty to do in a park to last all day. We are open to close park people, we don?t need to swim, (Can do that at home) and all I need from the resort is a bed to sleep in. Actually, we have been upgraded to the Contemporary, and Saratoga Springs, and honestly were not impressed. The values are perfectly fine. We stay seven nights, two adults, and two children, base package, $2050. Disney is very affordable if you make it that way. We can go to Chicago for a weekend, and easily spend $1000. No offense Chicago people, but I'll take Disney any day.