PDA

View Full Version : Lots'o Dining Reviews!

AvonleaCF
09-17-2013, 01:47 PM
August 31 - September 7
Beach Club Resort | Dining plan
Solo trip
Made ADRs just after the 180 mark

Table Service:

Biergarten - Saturday night - One of my favs and a small tradition to eat here on the first night. Last time I went, for whatever reason, I wasn't feeling 100% and couldn't eat much. This trip, I made sure I was in tip-top form and starving. Was seated with two other families: a family of 5 with older kids and an older couple who live locally whose kids were grown and eating elsewhere. Talked pleasantly with the older couple, but not much with the family. The food was excellent! The restaurant didn't seem too busy (lots of empty tables), and dishes were cleared and drinks refilled often. My favorite offerings were the pretzel rolls (I may have had four...), baked chicken, pot roast, fish in mustard sauce, and potato dumplings. For dessert I especially liked the Bavarian cheesecake; nothing else tickled my fancy too much.

50's Prime Time Cafe - Sunday night - I had eaten here once before and loved the unique atmosphere and food that I don't normally eat (never get meatloaf, fried chicken, and the like around here). I must say, I was disappointed. I was seated almost right away and the waitress came over to take my drink order fairly quickly. I then ordered the sampler, which arrived within about 5 minutes. After taking about 5 bites, my waitress came over asking if I knew what I wanted for dessert. What?? I think I just gave her a look and said "no." She came back when I was halfway through my meal asking again and I said I need to finish my meal. Ugh. Don't even try to hide the fact you're rushing me! Just because I'm a party of 1 is no excuse! And she didn't do any of the fun kitchy stuff (the table next to me had a really fun server). Anyhow, the food was just so-so. Not great, but not bad. So I finish eating and order dessert, and she brings the check out WITH the dessert. Ugh. I just ignored the check until I was done. The ice cream sundae I had for dessert was excellent, by the way. I still tipped well, cause that's what I do, and she wasn't TERRIBLE, just obviously rushing me. I wouldn't go back, but I wouldn't discourage a family from trying it, either. The table next to me seemed to love every bit of it.

Boma - Monday night - Another one of my favorites and my fifth of sixth time eating here. First, getting to the AKL from Beach Club took just over an hour (my plan was take the boat from BC to HS, then take the bus to AKL, but the boats weren't running, so I cut through the YC lobby and took the first bus that came, with was DTD, which was a big mistake. First it stopped at BC, then Boardwalk, then got to DTD. Waited for AKL bus, got on, then it stopped at PI, then stopped at Typhoon, and then FINALLY got to AKL). ANYHOW, I still had about 20 minutes to spare (I allowed plenty of time) to look around the lobby and savannah. Went to Boma, checked in, and was seated fairly quickly to a nice table along the window. My server came quickly for my drink order. Then I went to get food. I was disappointed. A bunch of the items were low or nearly out (a bunch of us were standing waiting for the bread to be refilled), and they didn't have falafel (one of my favs, which they've had every other time I've been there). Nothing stood out for me, which was a shame cause I've always loved this place. The only item I really and truly liked, and got seconds of, was the cold curry pasta salad. Desserts were good, of course. But I may not go through the trouble going back unless I'm staying at AKL. I would try Sanaa again though (went there a few trips ago). My server was excellent.

Rose & Crown - Tuesday night - Second time eating here. Was wonderful to freshen up in my room and walk over 20 minutes before my ADR! Best perk of staying at the Beach Club and eating at WS! I enjoyed everything about this meal (except one thing, which I'll explain). Was seated quickly on the outside patio right against the railing to the water. So pretty! Too bad my ADR was way too early for Illuminations! I was afraid of eating outside cause it was so hot/humid out, but the sun setting and water made it pleasant. My server was LOVELY. I ordered the steak & fish combo and the one and only thing I didn't like was the sauce on the steak (not enough to send it back though; I should have just asked for it on the side, but didn't think to). But the steak was perfect, as was the fish. Way too much food to finish! I wound up ordering the kid's ice cream for dessert cause I was too full to even look at the others. Would definitely go back.

Cape May Cafe - Wednesday night - If you haven't caught on by now, I did buffets every other night; they're nice when you're alone as you don't have to wait (just no character meals for me!). And it was especially nice eating in the resort I was staying at; went down 5 minutes before my ADR. This is another one of my favs and my third time here. Loved everything about this meal and would definitely go back! My server was friendly and efficient, and the buffet was always fully stocked with everything nice and fresh. And it wasn't too crowded, which was nice (I think the last time I went it was packed). I ate so many muscles, clams, crab legs, and fried shrimp! And the mashed potatoes and steamed veggies were good, too. One and only disappointed was no more Oreo BonBons. I don't even remember what the desserts were, to be honest! But this was definitely a 5/5.

Flying Fish Cafe - Thursday night - Decided to "splurge" and use two TS credits for a fancy meal (leaving my last night ADR-free). Excellent in every way! And I lucked out cause just as I started walking over, it started to drizzle a tiny bit. Five minutes into sitting at my table, it started to STORM! It was crazy raining with thunder and lightening my entire meal, and then just as I was ready to leave, the storm passed and it was clear. :) My server was friendly and attentive. I ordered the NY strip and potato-wrapped snapper special and holy moly was it good! Definitely put the steak I had at Rose & Crown to shame! The steak was cooked perfectly (but was charred on the outside, which I love) and the fish was flaky and tender. Loved the potatoes and veggies it was served with. Only complaint was a I wish I could finish it! For dessert I had the chocolate something or other. Basically five types of chocolate! Again, only complaint was it was too much to finish! I only managed about 1/4 of it. Super rich but super good (if you like chocolate!). My server only lost points at the end explaining how tips work (as if I didn't know how to tip or something or was worried I wouldn't leave one). I dunno. It made an otherwise excellent experience awkward. Maybe he's been stiffed by dining plan members before? Or maybe cause I'm 30 but look 20? Who knows. Wouldn't let that stop me from coming back, though! It was definitely worth 2 credits.

Counter Service

I always wind up going to the same CS locations! Wanted to try Be Our Guest but NO WAY was I waiting in that line in that heat and humidity. It was CRAZY over there (and the parks were fairly quiet). And I'm not lining up at 10:30 and "wasting" my ride time (but to others who think it's worth it, go ahead!!! To each their own).

Every day I ate breakfast in the room (bagel and cream cheese, which I picked up on my first day) and orange juice. I usually ate my CS meals on the earlier end (11:30 on average).

Restaurantasaures - Sunday lunch - was craving a cheeseburger and fries this day. Good meal, nothing great, but like that they have a fixins bar. Chocolate mousse pretty good.

Columbia Harbor House - Monday lunch - ate here twice and got the chicken/fish combo both times. Has been a fav and must-do since I was a kid. Love going upstairs and love all the sauces they have available (malt vinegar, tartar sauce, and honey mustard!).

Cantina de San Angel - Tuesday lunch - another long-time favorite. Got there early enough that finding a table wasn't a problem. Had the chicken tacos. So good! And the churritos for dessert were really good, too!

Pecos Bill - Wednesday lunch - got the special cheeseburger with onion ring on top (hold the bbq sauce) and asked for an extra plate to pile on the toppings. Best part about this place is the fixins bar, hands down.

Sunshine Seasons - Thursday lunch - always super yummy. I always have a hard time choosing between the stir-fry or a sandwich. Went with a sandwich this time. Had the hardest time choosing a dessert! Went with the chocolate mousse cake.

Columbia Harbor House - Friday lunch - same as above!

Wolfgang Puck Express - Friday dinner - since I didn't have any TS credits left, I went for one of the nicer CS spots for dinner (besides BOG lunch). Love the Wolfgang Puck Express! My meal would have been over $24 without the dining plan. Got spaghetti and meatballs, a soda, and a fresh fruit cup for dessert. Only ate about half of it, so brought it back to the room to eat for departure day breakfast (yes, I'm one of THOSE people!).

I had a $15 meal voucher to Planet Hollywood (came with the package), but decided not to use it.

Snacks

- 2 pretzels on 2 different occassions
- Dole Whip float (YUM!)
- Chocolate crepe from France (oo la la)
- Frozen lemonade at AK (the kind from a machine that they pour into a cup; not the pre-packaged Minute Maid one from the carts). Soooo good on a hot/humid day!
- Giant carrot cake cookie at Writer's Stop in HS. Too big for one! But good.
- Mint chocolate chip hot fudge sundae in a waffle bowl from the Main Street Ice Cream Plaza. Super yum.

Mandykay
09-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Great reviews! I'm going solo in Feb, and I've got a lot of the same places picked out for my TS's. Thanks for the reminder about getting a great value for a CS meal at Wofgang Puck Express:mickey:

disneymom15
09-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Nice reviews, thanks for your input.
Just an FYI, we eat at Be our Guest last week. Waiting in line outside was not bad at all. The CM's handed out umbrella's for shade and about half way thru the line there was a cart with ice cold water available. Very nice added feature in my opinion.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Sounds terrific thanks for the reviews

Ms. Mode
09-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Nice review....ummmm, I can eat a whole cookie...no problem. :blush:

Maggie T
09-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Very nice reviews,thanks.

NJGIRL
09-17-2013, 08:33 PM
I love the carrot cake cookie sandwich. :thumbsup: And Yes, I do finish it.:blush:

DisneyorBust
09-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the reviews!

MyDisneyworld
09-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Great reviews that are making me so hungry just reading them. I will be there in 2 days, can't wait.

k10
09-18-2013, 09:02 AM
awesome to read your reviews! making mental notes.

thanks!

KylesMom
09-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks for such detailed reviews, Cindy! :mickey:

jillluvsdisney
09-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Loved your reviews. We will be at Beirgarten and 50's Primetime in December.

SBETigg
09-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Sounds like a great time! I'm not a huge fan of buffets but I can see how they would work well with a single diner. Sorry to hear that Boma was a disappointment. Despite my buffet bias, that is one I usually enjoy. But Flying Fish, yum! And yes, the Beach Club is a great location for World Showcase and Boardwalk fun.

Goodwife
09-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Great reviews! You did really well
Did they tell you why the boats weren't running the night you went to Boma? :confused:

mouseketeer mom
09-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Loved your reviews! We are hitting some of the same places next week and it was exciting to read about your time at them. Did Boma have the peanut soup? That is my ultimate favorite thing on the buffet. I'm praying they have it the night we're there!