PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin Bad Experience

Mogie
09-17-2013, 08:50 AM
So I've stayed at the Swan and Dolphin many times and never had a bad experience until my trip last week.

We checked in the day a massive conference was leaving, and were given a "free upgrade" to a room with 2 balconies overlooking the pool and the lake. Pretty cool right? Not so much...

When we got to the room we loved the view, but the room was hot, damp, and smelled like mildew. We turned the AC on to try to clear it up and left for the parks right away.

When we came back to the room at night, the room was much cooler, but the smell of mildew was greater. Everything in the room felt damp. The sheets and towels were felt sticky, and there was condensation on the windows. We noticed that there is no weather stripping on either of the balcony doors. One was just a normal swinging metal door, almost like a metal fire door. The other was a loose sliding door. Both had rigged latches to keep them closed tightly, but neither protected the atmosphere inside. It was pretty humid when we visited and about 90 degrees. So any cross ventilation between the 2 doors probably brought a lot of moisture into the room. There was also no fan in the bathroom, so anyone who visits Disney during the hot weather knows its a shower in the morning, and then a shower when you return sweaty from the parks, again adding moisture to the room to just sit. The AC did nothing but circulate the damp air, or build up condensation inside the AC and blow moisture around the room. Eventually the room got very warm as if the AC had started blowing warm air. Because we were exhausted we tried to get some sleep.

At about 3:30am I woke up wheezing and coughing. :ill: I am a bit sensitive to mold and seasonal allergies, but never like this. I got dressed and went down to the front desk and explained the situation. The lady at the front desk was very helpful. She apologized and immediately found another room for us. I was even offered either points or a $75 credit to my bill. I chose the $75. They told us to go back our things and a bell hop would be there shortly to move us to our new room without a balcony.

When we arrived at our new room, it was huge newly renovated suite. They already had the AC running comfortably and there was no smell of mildew. It seemed as if this mildew problem was a regular complaint, and they were used to fixing it. I appreciated the quick service and the upgraded room. I don't know what we would have done if we had to stay in that room.

A couple other little problems. Our package included the AAA free breakfast for 2 deal. For some reason at checkout they did not eliminate breakfast from the bill. It took 2 visits to the desk and then a call to the accounting department when we returned home to get it straightened out. They also never applied the $75 credit we were offered for the inconvenience. When I called the accounting department they saw the note about the credit, but no one ever applied it. They were able to fix that too.

I looked up recent reviews online and have since found that the mildew problem is very common. The rooms just need an update. The old Disney hotel style AC just doesn't cut it anymore. And there is no excuse for a bathroom without a ventilation fan these days. I cant imagine the amount of mold there must be in the AC's, between the walls and under the carpets with all that moisture.

We stay at the Swan Dolphin for the great AAA rate, and the convenience to the park. I have preached about how great the place is on this forum before, but now I am afraid we think twice next time. Anyway, my recommendation to you guys is if you want to stay there, definitely don't get a room with a balcony.

faline
09-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Sorry you had some unpleasant experience at this location. However, it also appears that they did work with you to try to make it up to you - however inefficiently they did it!!

SBETigg
09-17-2013, 10:11 AM
I have asthma problems and that moldy smell would really get to me. I'm glad they were willing and able to change your room. On my last stay, I was also in an older feeling room and was thinking they're due for some upgrading. I hope they work on it. My husband has conferences there for the next two years, so it's the most logical place for us to stay with the great conference rate. I've had great stays, as you said you have as well, so let's just hope they step it up.

Kenny1113
09-17-2013, 11:02 AM
I had the same problem at CBR in both rooms they placed us in (the initial and the room to rectify). It is very uncomfortable. I'm glad they try to help.

BrerGnat
09-18-2013, 09:00 AM
We had a similar experience at the Swan last year. Enough that I won't ever stay there or the Dolphin again.

To be honest, I think the entire Starwood line of properties is struggling these days. They have gone downhill quite a lot from a few years ago. I don't know what the deal is, but we haven't had a satisfactory stay in a Sheraton since the early 2000's.

buzznwoodysmom
09-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Oh gosh, I know that damp feeling your talking about OP. We have had hotel rooms in the past (not in Disney tho) that have felt damp and I hated it. It makes everything in the room feel dirty.

Glad they were able to fix the problems and you were able to get your bill sorted out.

Jillirose
09-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Good to know, I've always wanted to stay overlooking the pool! We go in February and have stayed in a balcony overlooking EPCOT several times with no problems - maybe the pool wing has some structural problems...