PDA

View Full Version : What is the nicest, newest moderate?

Alpha Jeanie
09-16-2013, 08:42 PM
We have staved at Value & Deluxe Resorts, but never a moderate. What is the nicest and newest moderate? Which has the best dining options?:mickey:

BrerGnat
09-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Coronado Springs is the newest. I personally like Port Orleans Riverside.

CaptSmee
09-16-2013, 08:53 PM
None of the moderates are very new, but several have been rehabbed over the years NNY favorite is Coronado springs. I also like Caribbean beach resort as well too

Opus X
09-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Port Orleans Riverside....Alligator Bayou section will clearly be the nicest resort..(area) the mansions are nice also but....once you stay in A.B.....you wont want to stay anywhere else.
:thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
09-16-2013, 11:08 PM
We have stayed at all of them. While CBR has been our favorite for theming, I would say CSR is probably the "nicest". I always see Riverside mentioned as a crowd favorite, but it's been our least favorite of the moderates. We have enjoyed all moderates except Riverside.

MNNHFLTX
09-16-2013, 11:28 PM
Coronado Springs is the newest and the nicest, IMHO. The rooms and resort amenities feel more upcale (biggest hot tub on property, fitness center, etc). The Maya Grill is the best moderate restaurant and the Pepper Market has a good variety of food. Love the gardens and courtyards!

AgentC
09-17-2013, 07:21 AM
I think they are all nice and it really comes down to which resort has the feel that you like better as well as the layout and size.

Dining wise- Port Orleans French Quarter does not have a sit down option.
I think best counter service is between Port Orleans Riverside and Coronado Springs. I personally prefer POR but CSR has lots of fans.

In the last few years most of the moderates have had rehabs. POR was refurbished with the last year. POFQ a year or so before that and then CSR. I have heard that CBR is being rehabbed now but I haven't seen an official confirmation.

CaptSmee
09-17-2013, 09:04 PM
None of the moderates are very new, but several have been rehabbed over the years NNY favorite is Coronado springs. I also like Caribbean beach resort as well too

I meant "aren't" very new...

mrte62
09-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Another vote for CSR.

Kenny1113
09-19-2013, 08:42 AM
I have stayed at all of them except POR. I would have to say POFQ is my favorite bc of size. Another vote for CBR for theming and quiet. My least of ALL WDW resorts is CSR.

ginny57
09-19-2013, 09:00 AM
I have stayed in all of them a few times and I think it is a matter of taste.

CBR - love the Caribbean feel. Its quite large but walking is what we do in WDW

CSR - most upscale of the 4. Huge which is an issue for some but never bothered me. Nice theme and some deluxe features that the other mods do not have

POR - I like the mansions but not a fan of AB. That section is too rustic and woodsy for my taste. I remember reading a post were a child riding the DTD boat thru AB past mansions said 'is this where the rich people stay?' Funny but I got the sentiment.

POFQ - I'll be there in 11 day. I love the small intimate size and the New Orleans feel. No sit down restaurant but I don't typically eat at the resorts much anyway. Plus POR is a sister resort so you can share the amenities of both and the walk between the two is lovely.

Have fun deciding and enjoy your trip!

Lindsey310
09-19-2013, 09:22 AM
We have staved at Value & Deluxe Resorts, but never a moderate. What is the nicest and newest moderate? Which has the best dining options?:mickey:

I think port orleans riverside was the last one to get a refurb (2012). We love it there! The mansions section is beautiful, the pool is great and the main eating area has something for everyone. We love buildings 80 or 85. That's my vote! :thumbsup:

30 days!!!!!! :joy:

cer
09-19-2013, 11:32 AM
I have stayed in all of them a few times and I think it is a matter of taste.

POR - I like the mansions but not a fan of AB. That section is too rustic and woodsy for my taste. I remember reading a post were a child riding the DTD boat thru AB past mansions said 'is this where the rich people stay?' Funny but I got the sentiment.

Have fun deciding and enjoy your trip!

Absolutely true that it is a matter of taste. See, I would choose the comfortable, shaded 'rustic and woodsy' alligator bayou over the fancy mansions any day.

Just know yourself and what you like - Disney has something for everyone. :thumbsup:

PopPhan
09-19-2013, 11:40 AM
This is what I have for resort timeline.....I have only stayed at Caribbean Beach, so I'm not much help on how nice it is vs. the other mods...

WDW Resort Timeline

Contemporary
Polynesian
Fort Wilderness Campground

Grand Floridian
Caribbean Beach

Yacht Club
Beach Club
Swan - not Disney owned
Dolphin - not Disney owned

Port Orleans French Quarter (Dixie Landings)
Old Key West (DVC)

Port Orleans Riverside

All Star Sports
Wilderness Lodge

All Star Music

Boardwalk Inn and Villas (DVC)
Disney Institute (now defunct – Shades of Green??)

Coronado Springs

All Star Movies

Villas at Wilderness Lodge (DVC)

Animal Kingdom Lodge

Beach Club Villas (DVC)

Pop Century

Saratoga Springs (DVC)

Animal Kingdom Villas (DVC)

Bay Lake Tower (DVC)
Treehouse Villas at Saratoga Springs (DVC)

Art of Animation

Grand Floridian Villas (DVC)

buzznwoodysmom
09-19-2013, 11:58 AM
This is what I have for resort timeline.....I have only stayed at Caribbean Beach, so I'm not much help on how nice it is vs. the other mods..

Disney Institute (now defunct – Shades of Green??)

Not 100% sure, but wasn't Disney Institute where Saratoga Springs is now. I think the old tree houses were the "Tree Houses at the Disney Institute".

Shades of Green was originally the Disney Inn??? That might be wrong too. LOL.

PopPhan
09-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Not 100% sure, but wasn't Disney Institute where Saratoga Springs is now. I think the old tree houses were the "Tree Houses at the Disney Institute".

That's why I put the ??? behind it. It was long before my (Disney) time...LOL If I find out for sure, I can update/correct my document.

Still have to add Poly Villas when they are officially announced with an opening date....

buzznwoodysmom
09-19-2013, 02:20 PM
That's why I put the ??? behind it. It was long before my (Disney) time...LOL If I find out for sure, I can update/correct my document.

Still have to add Poly Villas when they are officially announced with an opening date....

Yeah. It was before my Disney time too, which is why I am not 100% sure.

Ms. Mode
09-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Coronado Springs is my favorite! We have stayed at several and it wins hands down. Pepper Market is great, so is Maya Grill. :thumbsup:

disneydeb
09-20-2013, 07:35 PM
I have stayed in all Moderates but for CSR. Of those, POFQ is my favorite, and
CBR is my least favorite ( no elevators)

AndrewJackson
09-20-2013, 08:30 PM

Yes, the Disney Institute became part of what is now Saratoga Springs.

The treehouses were actually around close to when WDW opened. Maybe not as far back as 1971, but very close. They were not very well known.

Shades of Green was originally called the Golf Resort. It was part of WDW when it opened, but again not very well known. It then became The Disney Inn then Shades of Green.

Sorry, off topic.

POR is my favorite moderate resort. Love the theme and landscaping.

Katzateer
09-21-2013, 07:27 AM
We stayed at POR in the mansion section for years when the resort first opened and loved it. Went again with a group a couple of years ago and were in the other section and did not like it as much. For the money, I am just as happy at the value resorts.

My girls loved CB when they were younger. I wasn't crazy about it because we seemed to always have sand in our room. And I didn't like the food court there.

I would pick a suite at AOA if that is in your budget, rather than a moderate.

Have a great time whichever resort you decide on!:thumbsup::mickey:

mlbaker1277
10-01-2013, 02:35 PM
In 44 trips in the last 20 years, I have stayed at all of the resorts except the Grand Floridian(don't care to). My favorite moderate is Coronado Springs by a landslide, followed by Port Orleans French Quarter. Abhor Riverside. Have had only terrible stays there, and I am a travel agent so I have stayed in ALL types of hotels over the years. CBR would be much better if the resort was updated, because the grounds are gorgeous and the location can't be beat. But Coronado is just one small step down from Deluxe to me. Especially the executive level rooms. A small fee for access to an executive lounge, a gorgeous pool, sprawling lake, full gym, great restaurants, and a bus system you don't have to share with anyone else. Love it!

buzznwoodysmom
10-01-2013, 03:27 PM
I would pick a suite at AOA if that is in your budget, rather than a moderate.

:

For the price of a suite at AoA you might as well look into a deluxe. When pricing resorts with our military discount WL and AKL were actually cheaper than a suite at AoA. Unless of course you have more than 4 guests and need the addition space. Since the OP is asking about all moderates I don't think they have more than 4 guests.

Checkers
10-01-2013, 05:17 PM
We prefer POFQ for its size and just love the boat to DTD!

FaithTrustPixieDust
10-17-2013, 11:12 AM
It's always interesting to see how varied the responses can be to questions like this. Ranging from "I abhor Riverside" all the way to "Riverside is my absolute favorite." It does all come down to your personal taste and perhaps the past experience you've had at a particular resort.

If you haven't stayed at any of the moderates, I'd say choose first by the theming that most appeals to you (or the one most recently refurbished, since you are looking for nicest and newest). Hopefully there is a "next time" in your future, then you can work your way through the list.

We've stayed at POR and POFQ and liked both for different reasons. We liked the atmosphere and ambiance better at POFQ . . . but we are not big Mardi Gras fans. It just seemed cozy and lovely there.

We have booked Coronado Springs for our next trip, because I've consistently read on Intercot that it is the "Almost Deluxe" Moderate. Plus, I just want to try something different each time we go. :mickey: