PDA

View Full Version : Disney Magical Express and Gate Checks

thads
09-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know what would happen if you gate check a bag at the airport gate, with the magical express tag attached. Will it go to baggage claim, or to the resort? Has anyone ever tried this? If you have a smaller bag, it may be a great way to avoid the bag check fee. At least it would for 1 way.
:secret:

VWL Mom
09-13-2013, 08:35 PM
For airlines that charge a fee I would think you would pay either way. If not everyone would be bringing their luggage to the gate.

Hammer
09-14-2013, 11:28 AM
For airlines that charge a fee I would think you would pay either way. If not everyone would be bringing their luggage to the gate.

I've had to gate check a bag a few times because they ran out of room in the overhead bins before my seat was called and I was not charged for my bag being checked. However, you can't plan on that happening and the bag still has to meet the size requirements for carry on.

faline
09-14-2013, 03:58 PM
I've had to gate check a bag a few times because they ran out of room in the overhead bins before my seat was called and I was not charged for my bag being checked. However, you can't plan on that happening and the bag still has to meet the size requirements for carry on.

Yes, we gate checked a bag not too long ago. We intended for it to be a carry on but they were requesting that folks gate check bags so free up room since the plane would be so full. We were not charged for the bag because it was at the request of the airline. However, I do not think you'd be allowed to bring bags to the gate door in order to check them just for the purpose of avoiding the checked bag fee.

thads
09-17-2013, 03:11 PM
So just to clarify, I am planning on carrying on the bags, but if the overhead space is full, I wanted to make sure that I had tags on them. After re-reading my initial post, I had some associate guilt around my cost savings statement. It was a case of my frugality wrestling with my conscience.

I did call Disney and they informed me that if the bags are gate checked, with the tag, that they will be delivered to the resort, so I think I am good to go. Thanks everyone.