PDA

View Full Version : Soarin' or TSM - Have you ever walked on?

DisneyDINK
09-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Whenever I go to the parks these rides are packed from rope drop to close. Barring some event not open to the general public, have you ever walked right on to either of these rides? When did it happen? (during your sleeping hours doesn't count here)

gottaluvtink
09-13-2013, 10:34 AM
We have walked on both. We get to the parks before opening and head directly to each of these rides first thing. We can usually walk on Soarin twice and then head out to other things. We have even gone on three times before. With TSM, we go on first thing, then if the line is not too long, go back and then even fast pass after we get off. Our trips were always in September, and more recently in January. I don't go to Disney during peak times. Not worth the trouble. We go every year, but always off peak.

faline
09-13-2013, 10:35 AM
I've gone to Toy Story when it has been virtually a walk-on. When we were in California, Soarin was a walk-on every time we went by it.

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
09-13-2013, 10:37 AM
I know this wasn't the intent of your question as it was WDW-focused, but the key with TSM is to go to the other coast. I have never even come close to walking on TSM at WDW. Usually even the FP line has a bit of a wait. On the other hand, last October, during morning magic hours (or whatever they call it on the other coast) at California Adventure, we walked on twice in a row. Literally, not a single other person waiting around us. We could have gone even more than the two times we rode, but my arm muscles were already in spasm from riding twice in a row with no break in between! Pulling that trigger and scoring so many points is hard work! :thumbsup:

JerseyDad
09-13-2013, 10:42 AM
.....we have ...numerous times ...walked on to Soarin'. Those were mostly during our "Jersey Week" trips ...early in the morning ...or very late in the day (by walked on ...I mean less than 5 minutes from the time between passing the entrance gate ...to last "line up" for the ride ...because there is "the show" in the beginning)

....and ...this past trip (2 weeks ago) we had the MagicBands and FastPass+ ...and had scheduled TSM ...which we went on (first time ever)...and the standby time that day ...was 'only' 40 minutes!! We've seen 2.5 hour waits there ...and the ONE time we had a scheduled ride ...it was a 'manageable' time to wait.

....btw ...I was not 'blown away impressed' with TSM. Meaning ...had I ever waited +2 hrs to get on it ...I would have wanted to drink heavily afterwards and get my 2 hrs back!! :beer:

PopPhan
09-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Have done walk-on for TSMM. It was in September, a couple years ago, and during a showing of LMA. The CM said that during slow times of the year (crowd levels in the 1 - 3 range) the queues are short during LMA shows.

Sure enough, 10 minutes after LMA let out, the queue was back out the doors.

Have also done walk on for Soarin' a couple times...One was very early in the day, the other was during Illuminations.

DisneyDINK
09-13-2013, 11:11 AM
BTW, sorry for the typo in the title. I can change the body but not the title. Hey moderators, can you do that? It obviously should be "ever" walked on.

k10
09-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Soarin @ Rope Drop. More than once. January MLK wknd and May, just after Memorial Day.

Toy Story - Rope Drop. January - Marathon Wknd

(We walk nicely at Rope Drop, fyi. We're not the sprinters. I'm always worried someone's going to get hurt.)

awaggett
09-13-2013, 12:11 PM
As with previous poster, we have walked on both in California--it was such a surprise coming from long lines at WDW!

Niecyboo
09-13-2013, 12:17 PM
This one was completely surprising because it took place in early August, but we were able to walk on TSM twice. We had a first timer with us but didn't get to DHS until mid-day so we were just going to skip TSM. They had 2 Fantasmic shows that night. We went to the first Fantasmic then when we got out realized the park was still open for a few minutes so we went over to check. Wait time said 25 minutes but there was no line and we got to ride twice before the park closed.

bruin1344
09-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Soarin - walked on during a weekday afternoon in mid-May

baldburke
09-13-2013, 01:08 PM
We just walked on new Test Track less than one month ago right before closing. We literally walked from the gate up front to the room where you design your car. After coming out of the design room it was probably less than five minutes until we were on the ride. No fast pass!

My2Sons
09-13-2013, 03:05 PM
We walk on both of those rides, all the time. We only go to WDW off-peak. Usu. Sept, Jan, or Feb. We are early birds, and it is easier to walk on first thing. Although, we have had days at Magic Kingdom where we walked on everything all day long. On my one son's birthday, we went on Buzz Lightyear 5 times in a row with no waiting at all. It was great!

We were talking with friends who said "How can you like WDW? All we ever did was wait in lines! 1 hour for this - 2 hours for that!" We were shocked because we almost never wait in lines. The difference? They went in late May.

I think our longest wait for any WDW ride has been about 20 minutes. Sometimes the ride lines will get longer than that, but if they do, we just skip it and try again another day. (Or FP, of course.)

We're not big planners - we just kind of head out and see what happens. In a way I think that makes things easier.

Katzateer
09-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Soarin - first thing, especially EMH, normally walk on any time of year. And I grab a fast pass as we go in. Usually the FP is for later and I sometimes give them away if we decide not to go back that direction.

TSM - have gotten on a few times as a walk- on but hard other times. My favorite was an EMH, after we got in park I got 4 fast passes, rode once, then used the fast passes no one else wanted. Got to ride TSM 5 times within the hour- loved it!:thumbsup:

Opus X
09-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Yes...both many times....When? After rope drop.
We ride...then get a fast pass.
It amazes me as to the number of people that sleep in...you miss SO much opportunity.
We open and close the parks.:thumbsup:

cer
09-13-2013, 04:02 PM
TSM - have gotten on a few times as a walk- on but hard other times. My favorite was an EMH, after we got in park I got 4 fast passes, rode once, then used the fast passes no one else wanted. Got to ride TSM 5 times within the hour- loved it!:thumbsup:

That could make your arm sore! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-13-2013, 05:03 PM
never! The only time we've been able to ride we've sprinted at park opening and still had to stand in line/the fast passes always seemed to be gone within a couple of hours of park opening.

Mousemates
09-13-2013, 09:10 PM
have walked on to Soarin (well to the pre-ride movie) a couple of times...and have walked on to TSM at park opening several times.

Arielfan98
09-13-2013, 10:15 PM
TSM, but only at the very last minutes of EMH :D

CaptSmee
09-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Walked on Soaring by getting there first thing in the
am & yes for some reason they do not attract such large crowds on the west coast. I could have ridden Soarin 100 times with no wait one of my visits

Hammer
09-15-2013, 11:26 AM
It amazes me as to the number of people that sleep in...you miss SO much opportunity.
We open and close the parks.:thumbsup:

I'll close a park, but I do not set an alarm on vacation. That's what I have to do every other day.

That's one of the things I am looking forward to with Fastpass +. I can schedule my TSM or Soarin ride time for the afternoon and relax!

Opus X
09-15-2013, 06:10 PM
I'll close a park, but I do not set an alarm on vacation. That's what I have to do every other day.

That's one of the things I am looking forward to with Fastpass +. I can schedule my TSM or Soarin ride time for the afternoon and relax!
Oh, i agree with you there..
I am VERY much looking forward to f.p.+
for the same reasons...it will be GREAT to book ahead.!!:thumbsup:

Giggy
09-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Haven't had a walk-on for Soarin or TSM, even our late August to early September visit had some line for them. I guess there could be an element of luck though and if some people on here say they have had walk-on visits for them then obviously it does happen.

We did walk straight on to Expedition Everest though, twice in a row! That was a a good day. :D