PDA

View Full Version : Survivor: Blood v Water

Melanie
09-10-2013, 06:24 AM
Starts a week from tomorrow!

So what do you all think of the cast? Of course, I'm shocked they brought Colton back, and Rupert? AGAIN? Boo. Otherwise, I like the cast okay. I like old timers like Tina and Gervase are coming back, and this will be the first time ever a Big Brother contestant has been on Survivor.

Colton and his fiance, Caleb
Gervase and his niece, Marissa
Kat and her boyfriend, Hayden
Laura and her daughter, Ciera
Monica and her hubby, Brad
Rupert and his wife, Laura
Tina and her daughter, Katie
Tyson and his girlfriend, Rachel
Candice and her husband, John
Aras and his brother, Vytas

wildernesslady
09-10-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm excited for the new concept. Hopefully it plays out well and there are not as many challenges where they have to untie knots. It seemed that happened every other episode. I don't have any better ideas, but hope it can get more creative.

SBETigg
09-10-2013, 10:15 AM
More than half of them brought significant others and not actual relatives, making the Blood in Blood v Water kind of not. ? Maybe I'm too picky.

As much as I strongly disliked Colton, I loathed Laura almost as much. We have some vile cast in this season. And yeah, I'm tired of Rupert. He was fun in his first season. Then they brought him back and gave him the fan favorite money. And then I really didn't need to see him again because the charm wore off. All of this makes me almost not want to watch. Almost. I know I can't help it and I will watch, because I've never missed one season of this show. And at least there are no Hantz family members.

Maybe some of the nasty people will redeem themselves? It has happened before with some of them. And there are some people to cheer on. Willing to see how it goes.

Melanie
09-10-2013, 10:47 AM
More than half of them brought significant others and not actual relatives, making the Blood in Blood v Water kind of not. ? Maybe I'm too picky.

If you've made 'blood' (aka, had kids), then that counts for me. ;) I hear you on the boyfriend/fiance thing though. I did read something interesting this morning though. RC and her dad were there on the island ready to go, and they pulled them at the last minute due to RC's dad's blood pressure being high. They then flew Candice and her hubby in quickly to take their place. So that would have been another true blood connection.

I don't remember Laura. :confused: Need to go back and refresh my memory.

SBETigg
09-10-2013, 11:21 AM
If you've made 'blood' (aka, had kids), then that counts for me. ;)

Yeah, I can count that. Marriage in general is a deep enough connection, I suppose. Not sure how committed some of the others are to their game-playing partners, but I guess it would be wrong to question.

Speaking of blood, just saw in the news that Richard Hatch might have lots of children out there due to being a prolific sperm donor in his youth. Kind of a scary thought. :)

DizneyRox
09-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Already rootin for an early dismissal of Colton...

The Hitchhiking Ghost
09-10-2013, 04:50 PM
I look forward to commenting during the season, but I can't recall being this apathetic about the start of a Survivor season.

Are they pulling a Boston Rob on us with Rupert? Keep shoving him down our throats until he eventually wins? I mean, he was perfect for Pearl Islands, pirate Rupert and all, and even again with the immediate follow up season all-stars. But the guy has shown absolutely zero ability to play this game and who can forget building the hut on the beach with a pool in the basement.

Tyson, I think holds the #2 slot for idiotic moves. Eric in my book always will have #1, but Tyson's move in HvV that lead to his boot is proof positive that he should never be allowed to play again. They should just give him a mirror to play with, then we won't need to see him at all.

Tina and Aras are way overrated winners, winning soley due to idiotic play by other Survivors that gave them the win.

Colton:ack: 'nuff said.

Gervase, granted was season 1, but frankly, he was pretty much just a slackard on spring break and didn't realize a million dollar game was going on until it was way too late. I guess he is the one returnee that could be interesting to watch, to see if he's actually learned anything since hitting the beach on the first day of Survivor history.

The rest of the returnees I barely recall.

Reading the list based on relationships, yeah, they had to make a pretty big stretch on truth in advertising to sell the "Blood" part as more than 1/2 have no blood relation.

Most likely will dvr several episodes and catch up in bunches.

Lacy
09-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Prior to the cast announcement I was pondering if Survivor had run its course and if I should stop watching - mind you I have never missed an episode and watching Survivor has been a fun part of my life for the past 12/13 years. But I actually think this blood v. water concept and how it is billed with them split on teams will be interesting. So I'll be watching - getting a subscription on iTunes since we got rid of cable and don't have a DVR. I'm excited and think it is cool that Tina is back with her daughter. And of course not too excited by Colton or Rupert but every time they bring back players there are always ones I'm not excited about.

I've been surprised by all the fan comments saying that the casting is so bad they will not watch. I really don't think it is an awful cast - glad to not see any Hantz family members!

TheDuckRocks
09-11-2013, 11:12 AM
As always I'm looking forward to another season of Survivor. After I go over and look over the bios I'll probably be complaining about who they've brought back. After the first show I'm sure there will be folks I can't stand and wondering why they ever cast others. A few weeks in I'll probably be whining around about how this season isn't as good as before. Bring it on!

Speaking of blood, just saw in the news that Richard Hatch might have lots of children out there due to being a prolific sperm donor in his youth. Kind of a scary thought. :)

Richard was on Oprah's "Where Are They Now" show with 2 of the children by donor who are now adults. He has been contacted by a few others so far. He stated something like he made donations at least twice a week for the 4 years he was in college.:eyes:

SBETigg
09-20-2013, 01:07 PM
So, thoughts?

I wasn't a fan of the idea of Rupert coming back, was feeling a bit tired of him. But oddly enough, I ended up liking him again. Strategically, a bad move to switch with his wife, but personally a good call. I thought it was sweet. The marriage lasts longer than the game and he wanted his wife to live through something he has experienced. And yet, was not impressed with Candice's husband for staying.

I think the Aras-Vytas dynamic is really interesting. Gervase hasn't learned or changed a bit. Did not like Brad Culpepper much. I was afraid that Colton was going to get a redemption edit but his meltdown and scenes from next week prove otherwise maybe. His partner seems like a great guy, though. Do you remember Colton's first time, he talked about how his super supportive family made it much easier for him to be gay in the south? Or am I remembering way wrong? It struck me that he's full of it with the whole sympathy crying ploy. I worry that he will go far because people won't see him as a threat, or good to take to the end.

Donald Duck
09-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Disappointed with the Survivors they brought back.
Can't stand Colton. Please let him be voted off next !
Tina was useless in S2. Colby gave Tina the million dollars in S2.

I thought Tina' daughter should have been voted out instead of Gervase's neice. She did good in the challenge while Tina's daughter was clueless.

I'm rooting for Brad to win. He probably
doesn't need the money but he probably the only likeable one there.

Message to CBS: Please stop bringing back Survivor's from previous show, especially ones that have already won.
Just give us new people each show.

SBETigg
09-20-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm rooting for Brad to win. He probably
doesn't need the money but he probably the only likeable one there.

See, that's funny, because I found him completely obnoxious. But I'm with you on the no more returning survivors, with one exception. I think it would be great to replay Season One over with all the same people. What would happen this time? I think Greg with the coconut phone would go much further. :)

Ian
09-20-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm so over Redemption Island ... I'm really disappointed to see it back again.

Am I the only one who was sort of surprised with the folks they picked to go with that first vote? I think the vote for Laura (Rupert's wife) showed that there is some latent hostility in the group towards Rupert. I mean, they just went after her in full force. Even Candace surprised me a little, simply because she finished 8th in her season and was hardly a major threat.

I don't know how this season is going to go for me. Typically I like the built in rooting interests that come with returning players, but this bunch I'm sort of meh about so ...

SBETigg
09-20-2013, 10:11 PM
I'm so over Redemption Island ... I'm really disappointed to see it back again.

Yeah, agreed. I was glad when we got rid of it and sad to see it back. I prefer the torch snuffing and gone.

With Rupert being such a big fan favorite and obvious favorite with the producers, I wasn't surprised that his wife was a target. Candace was just generally unlikable for me in her season, and she has that history of flipping and being untrustworthy, so also not a surprise for me. The surprise for me was that people claimed to be getting rid of her because they didn't know her. More likely they couldn't trust her.

If building the right alliance helps get you to the end, you don't want to keep people you can't be sure of. In which case, I would have targeted both Kat, the completely brainless, and her boyfriend, the Big Brother winner. But so it goes.

Ian
09-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Hardly shocked that Rupert was first to go. The guy was popular and somewhat likable but let's face it ... he was never much of a Survivor.

SBETigg
09-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Hardly shocked that Rupert was first to go. The guy was popular and somewhat likable but let's face it ... he was never much of a Survivor.

Yeah, I'm okay with it. He's probably best in small doses at this point, if any. This season's theme is turning out much better than I thought, though, as far as making it less predictable.

TheDuckRocks
09-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I'm liking this season more than I thought I would. I'm glad Rupert is gone and would love to see the other returning players leave one by one. I don't know what kind of a player she will be but I'm finding I like Rupert's wife Laura (I think that's her name).

Donald Duck
10-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Thank God he quit.

Why does Survivor always bring back the worst players ?

SBETigg
10-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Thank God he quit.

Why does Survivor always bring back the worst players ?

Plus, as Jeff revealed (and I love that Jeff was relentless with him), he actually faked illness to quit last time, too. Which makes me even more disappointed that they brought him back. Probst had previously said that they would never bring a quitter back. But at least, he's gone.

I was really hoping they would take their chance to get rid of Brad, especially after his tribal council attitude. But I don't mind losing John either, and now there's extra drama for husband and wife to face off at Redemption. But it looks like this team is going to keep on losing, and somehow I still think Vytas could win it all.

Ian
10-04-2013, 09:58 AM
First and foremost, I hope we've seen the last of Colton. I couldn't figure out why they brought him back in the first place and now that he quit yet again I've had more than enough of him to last me a lifetime. :ack:

I liked that the family members actually stepped up and showed a little game by voting out John. Based on what I'm seeing from previews, looks like maybe Brad's ego gets the best of him, so will be interesting to see what happens if they lose yet again.

TheDuckRocks
10-04-2013, 12:57 PM
First and foremost, I hope we've seen the last of Colton.

I'm sure with you on this one. But I keep having this vision of him sitting somewhere filling out the application forms for Amazing Race and Big Brother.:thedolls:

SBETigg
10-11-2013, 10:14 AM
I was skeptical about this season in the beginning, but I think they've actually created some interesting new dynamics. Husband and wife going head to head at RI, and then getting to have a night out there alone. Interesting. Targeting Caleb because they won't make a family member angry... very interesting, mostly in that revealed Brad's strategy to broaden his horizons with the other tribe.

And Caleb played it perfectly at TC, finally someone willing to step out and make a move even after the group vote has been decided. I was so glad to be rid of Brad, but will he get back in the game? Will he risk losing his man card to let Monica take his place? Monica probably made a smart move just burning that clue. What happens when her tribe finally loses, though? It's probably time to lose one of the returning Survivors. But can the Tadhana tribe win without Brad? They didn't win with him, so maybe.

Melanie
10-11-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm actually kind of shocked at how Brad is (or how he's coming off). He's very popular in the Tampa area, being the former athelete, and now with a successful law office. Plus, Monica seems so sweet.

I like how the blood v. water is playing out too. Like Sherri said, it creates some new aspects to the game that haven't been there before, and therefore it's breathing some fresh life into the same old pattern we're used to.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-14-2013, 12:58 AM
Finally got a chance to catch up on the first four episodes. Always hard to stay away until I've caught up.

My biggest surprise, I don't hate the season. Ok, Redemption Island stinks as usual, but it does add the one twist of having a loved one take another's place. The biggest change that I see in strategy in this season is that its really not about numbers at the merge anymore, at least not in the traditional sense where one tribe goes into the merge united and tries to pick off the other tribe. Now, if your loved one is still in the game at the merge, it changes the whole number dynamic. Which is why I thought for multiple reasons voting John out wasn't necessarily a bad move.

So here are my random thoughts catching up:

Rupert, great guy, lousy Survivor, wasn't going to win anyway. I think Laura might have been targeted day 1 for two reasons, loved ones tribe probably saw her as weak and two it gave them a chance to hurt Rupert. They didn't know loved ones could switch so they don't get credit for that.

Candice: Was cheering for her intially, but last couple RI challenges she's been a really big baby and sore loser. Won't be upset if she doesn't get back into the game.

Colton: had no idea he quit the first time, thought that medical took him out. Maybe he faked all the symptoms. Probst never questioned him at the reunion show about it. He came back to repair his image, but he's a one trick pony playing with experienced players, who couldn't be bullied. Glad to seem him take a loser walk of shame and for Probst to come down on him hard.

Gervase: Seems like its all about him and he didn't care much for what happened to his niece, all about him. Hasn't learned much since season 1, don't really like him. Was an embarrassment that first water challenge.

Katie & Ciera: Unfortunately there always seem to be one or two players that just seem to take up air and space and have no right being in the game, yet make it to the end or near end. Unfortunately these two don't appear to be going anywhere any time soon.

Caleb & Vytas: Just an early opinion, but I can see these two going deep into the game, if not the finals. Most likely no scruples, so are willing to do whatever it takes. Can they win, not sure, but they can go far.

Hayden - sleeper, very much under the radar right now, but seems to have all the tools to win. Never saw BB, but he seems to be managing himself quite well.

Brad: Probably in the minority here, but I liked him. I think he knew the game strategy, his problem was that he just needed to internalize some of his conversations instead of blurting them out. I think had he scaled it back a bit, he could have gone a lot farther (albeit he could still get back in the game.

The returning players side, kind of hard to say, because they've won every challenge, we just haven't seen much of whatever strategy is going on over there. I think Aras has a decent chance of a repeat win, especially if Vytas can stay alive.

Tyson: at least he's toned down the bufoonary so far from his previous two stints. Unlike Colton he looks like maybe he actually learned something from his previous season's mistakes. Not sure I like him, but he's definitely a threat.

Kind of feels like its a guys season to win. I look at Kat and Ciera (and her mom) and Katie, and I just don't really see a winner there. Tina/Laura, not really but I think they could go well into the merge.

So the season isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I am getting tired of every tribal being the greatest blindside ever (and the next tribal looks to be the same - which makes me think loved ones lose again.). It will be interesting to see if they do a tribal switchup or if they will run this way to the merge. Post merge with loved ones and returnees combining will be an interesting dynamic. Makes me wonder if Caleb, who is now solo, if he can pull the numbers.

Good to be caught up.

Donald Duck
10-17-2013, 03:42 PM
I'm actually kind of shocked at how Brad is (or how he's coming off). He's very popular in the Tampa area, being the former athelete, and now with a successful law office. Plus, Monica seems so sweet.

Me too.
I like Brad and Monica and am rooting for Brad to win.
I've seen ever episode of every Surivor season. Survivor can make someone look at lot worse than they are.

SBETigg
10-17-2013, 07:44 PM
It might be better for Monica if Brad doesn't get back in. If she wins, he wins, too. I think he could really mess up her game, and she's in a good place right now.

I'm noticing that we now have as many players who still have someone in the game (not counting RI players) as being alone in the game now. Also as many women as men. So I guess that's what makes it a good time for a team shakeup? They have the count to keep related players apart still, if they choose that route. Though shakeups are usually random.

I had no problem with losing Laura M. I didn't like her before, and she wasn't winning me over this time. Not that we've seen much going on at their camp yet.

Ian
10-17-2013, 09:27 PM
I agree in general about the BvW aspect breathing new life into this season. I love the added dynamic it brings to the game.

Was a bit shocked to see Laura M go. I thought for sure it would be Laura B, but if nothing else it seems the blindside is de rigeur this season. ;)

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Cool Beans!

Not sure if anyone recalls, but that was Kat's exit line prior to her boot her previous season.

Sort of a ho-hum episode. The minute I saw the RI challenge it was pretty much a given that Laura would win it, just a question of who would go, Brad or John. Would have preferred John but I don't think Brad could have gone far anyway, even if he did make it back in the game. The RI challenge was one of the lamest as well. I thought at the very least they'd have to open all 4 bags at once and put the tiles in order 1 -100, not something so remedial as one bag at a time. Just another reason RI needs to go.

Based on the tribal switch, Galang might as well get used to tribal. Tina and Laura B messing up that challenge has to be one of the dumbest things I've seen in 27 seasons of Survivor. Who swims out and just opens a gate? You can't remember instructions given to you 30 seconds ago? Would have liked to see Tina go but pretty obvious she's running the show, especially now that she's got Katie in her back pocket, along with the worthless Laura B.

Kat should have heeded her own advice, just shut up. She's usually the type of player I don't enjoy watching, sits out challenges, becomes a pawn, then exits. No tears for her early demise.

Almost too much talk of targeting Aras, so much so that you almost have to believe he's going to be around for a while. I like the way Tyson is playing his 3rd time around. He isn't trying to be the island clown or the village idiot and he seems to be keeping the target off his own back, so I guess third time is a charm.

Caleb and Hayden are going to be wild cards. First timers, but I think they have a pretty good handle of what's going on and could be power players once the merge comes around.

It will be interesting to see if Vytas and Aras are both allowed to make it to the merge. I think Tina's strategy in voting out Kat over Vytas is that with Katie, she and the brothers can form a solid 4 alliance, pull in the mindless Laura B and throw Monica in (which Tina just garnered favor with) and that would give them 6 solid at the merge. Plus Ciera would follow whatever Katie told her to do. I think Tina has a road to the finals laid out.

My guess, one more duel next week at RI, followed by a 2nd Galang loss and tribal council, then one final RI challenge and then the merge.

If Galang does lose again next week, the tribal council should go a long ways to show at least what Tina's strategy is going to be. If she dumps Laura or Monica then she's definitley looking to hook up with the brothers and she can just plug in Ciera for whoever she gets rid off.

Cool Beans.

SBETigg
10-24-2013, 12:33 PM
I was happy to see Brad go. I think Monica might actually be a little more in control than Tina, plus Tina is more of a target with her daughter still in the game and being a former winner. I don't think anyone's going to let her get to the end.

Tyson and Gervase actually have a good thing going. I never would have expected it, but I think Gervase might be in the best possible spot right now. There are far bigger threats. Like Aras. I don't see any way that Aras wouldn't be the first person gone at merge if he makes it that far. Vytas has a better shot, if he can make it a little longer. I did not mind losing Kat this week, though. She's still not the brightest player, despite all her talk of knowing the game.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-24-2013, 04:29 PM
I was happy to see Brad go. I think Monica might actually be a little more in control than Tina, plus Tina is more of a target with her daughter still in the game and being a former winner. I don't think anyone's going to let her get to the end.

Tyson and Gervase actually have a good thing going. I never would have expected it, but I think Gervase might be in the best possible spot right now. There are far bigger threats. Like Aras. I don't see any way that Aras wouldn't be the first person gone at merge if he makes it that far. Vytas has a better shot, if he can make it a little longer. I did not mind losing Kat this week, though. She's still not the brightest player, despite all her talk of knowing the game.

I don't think Monica is in more control. I think she's definitely more vocal, more confrontational but I don't see her leading the tribe or pulling the strings. I fully believe that the Vytas or Kat decision rested solely with Tina. If Monica was in charge, it would have been Laura B going to Redemption Island, not Laura M.

I really don't think Tina is in that much trouble. Unless Vytas and Monica get Laura B to vote her out, she won't be going pre merge. Tina was in an alliance with Monica and Aras. This last episode she shored up her alliance with Monica by informing her of Kat's betrayal and supporting Monica in getting out Kat and, in doing so, got tighter with Vytas. If she makes the merge and has an alliance with Vytas/Aras, plus has Katie (and probably Ciera) plus Monica that's a 6 person alliance at the merge and if they merge with 11, that's enough to give her control, at least for a while.

Her win was so long ago and it was such a different game, I don't think that will come into play. If it does, it would be at final 3 and if someone was deciding who deserved the money the most.

I thought Gervase would be an early out, but his tribe dominating the challenges gave him some protection. I don't know that he's as safe as Hayden or Caleb, but I think he's in a pretty good position. He's starting to talk like he knows what's going on, but we'll have to see if that translates into actual actions. I think Tyson will be able to manipulate him if the need arises.

Ian
10-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Okay so .... counting from 1-100 ... weakest RI challenge ever? I say a resounding YES. :ack:

Wasn't all that disappointed to see Brad go from RI. He seemed like an okay guy but ... well ... I hated his Bucs team so I pretty much hate him too. ;)

Kat honestly has irked me almost from the very first time I saw her. I've always found her to come across as very spoiled and whiny and sulky and entitled. I actually clapped when they sent her packing.

Melanie
10-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Okay so .... counting from 1-100 ... weakest RI challenge ever? I say a resounding YES. :ack:

Wasn't all that disappointed to see Brad go from RI. He seemed like an okay guy but ... well ... I hated his Bucs team so I pretty much hate him too. ;)

Kat honestly has irked me almost from the very first time I saw her. I've always found her to come across as very spoiled and whiny and sulky and entitled. I actually clapped when they sent her packing.

Definitely the lamest RI challenge ever. The numbers should have at least been all mixed up in the bags.

Kat is strange. I do t see her and Hayden together at all. I hope he goes far.

Ian
10-31-2013, 03:45 PM
So it seems my opinion of Kat was further reinforced by her inexplicably bizarre behavior on last night's ep. If I was Hayden, I'd think very long and hard about continuing a relationship with that crackpot.

Anyway ... not shocked Laura was sent to RI. As soon as she opened her mouth and started talking I turned to DW and said, "Well her goose is cooked."

You'd think she would have learned from the prior week when they sent Kat packing for essentially the same behavior. ;)

SBETigg
10-31-2013, 03:50 PM
Kat's not very together. Hayden seems pretty nice, though I don't watch Big Brother so have no idea from that and haven't seen much of him on Survivor yet. But I was surprised at his emotional response. I kind of assumed they were together for the show more than an actual couple.

Didn't mind losing Kat, don't mind losing Laura B. Actually not a very exciting week for Survivor (plus I was way more into my Red Sox winning the World Series, yay!). Next week should be good, though.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-01-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm still having an internal debate as to who is one of the worst players ever, Laura B or Kat. Laura is just so out of place and out of her league that its just painful to watch her, especially when she thinks she's in charge and 'gaining leadership" of the tribe. Being in Rupert's shadow for so long has definitely done a number on this woman. She'll be gone after next week and won't be on the jury, so that's good.

That was pretty much the lamest tribal council that I recall in a long time. Seemed more like an episode of the View or the Talk. All Jeff wanted to do was ask them about their feelings, and for the millionth time talk about Vytas and Aras' relationship. I'm surprised they didn't just do a big group hug prior to voting.

Only thing that really surprised me was that Tyson didn't tank the challenge on purpose at the end. So much talk about taking out King Aras and then he's presented with the golden opportunity and he passes on it. Maybe it was the feast, maybe he didn't want to make it a solo decision and put the target on his back, not sure, but it was there for the taking.

I do think booting Laura over Vytas was strategic on Tina's part, who is definitely the one controlling her tribe. She's looking at a solid 4 now at the merge with Vytas/Aras and her and (worthless) Katie. The wild card will be who gets back into the game. Well, we know it won't be Laura, she'll be out within a minute of Jeff saying "this challenge is on". If its Laura M, well she's goes to Ciera. Do they stick with Ciera's current tribe or does Ciera try to reconnect with Katie, even though part of that alliance voted out her mom. If John gets back in the game, does he go to the all men's alliance, some of which voted him out, or does he join Tina which puts him with Monica.

I think Caleb is the other wild card. You would think he'd stick more with the guys as he's had no relationship with Tina and her group, but as he showed with the Brad vote, he's not afraid to leave the group and go off on his own.

This season has been dragging now for some time, especially after getting of to such a good start, hopefully post merge it will pick back up again.

SBETigg
11-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Time will tell who is right, but I still think you're wrong about Tina. She's not playing the game that will get her to the end. Voting out Laura was a big mistake for her that will come back to bite her. With Laura, she had someone who would do her bidding just to stay in the game, and she had numbers with the women.

Knowing how the men had been voting off women should prove that it has been a male-dominated game so far, so keeping Vytas over Laura was risky and unwise. Vytas's best game is to reunite with his earlier alliance and he has his brother's allies as a backup. Laura has no one to go back to and she would have been solidly in Tina's corner for as long as Tina needed her. Not that I mind losing Laura B at all. The merge should bring some new twists.

Also, on Tyson, with a merge coming, it serves him well to keep Aras for now. Aras could still be an ally, or an easy vote off if people want to get rid of challenge threats. Aras's presence at merge gives Tyson a much-needed buffer from looking like the biggest threat.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Time will tell who is right, but I still think you're wrong about Tina. She's not playing the game that will get her to the end. Voting out Laura was a big mistake for her that will come back to bite her. With Laura, she had someone who would do her bidding just to stay in the game, and she had numbers with the women.

Knowing how the men had been voting off women should prove that it has been a male-dominated game so far, so keeping Vytas over Laura was risky and unwise. Vytas's best game is to reunite with his earlier alliance and he has his brother's allies as a backup. Laura has no one to go back to and she would have been solidly in Tina's corner for as long as Tina needed her. Not that I mind losing Laura B at all. The merge should bring some new twists.

Also, on Tyson, with a merge coming, it serves him well to keep Aras for now. Aras could still be an ally, or an easy vote off if people want to get rid of challenge threats. Aras's presence at merge gives Tyson a much-needed buffer from looking like the biggest threat.

All good questions/comments.

Vytas - he burned some bridges when he turned on Brad. He was never really in any alliance with Katie or Ciera, on the revote he flipped on Hayden and voted out Brad. And I don't think its been a male dominated game. Rachel and Marissa were targeted not because they were women, it was in the hope that they might pull their significant other (Gervasse/Tyson) into a redemption island swap, and they did turn on John. So, yes, the men had the numbers, but the strategy on who to boot seemed more about the loved ones then thinking challenges/merge.

Tyson, I like his game thus far, but he has to worry about numbers. If Aras/Vytas don't go to him, and he loses the numbers, then he can't get rid of Aras at will. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, Caleb is a wild card. He's been pretty quiet of late and we have no idea of who he is aligned with right now. Playing it safe was probably the best choice for Tyson.

Now with Tina, I could be wrong, but I think the Laura B boot was strategic for two reasons. One, she can't keep her mouth shut and at some point you will have to trust her with important information, and she's proven she can't keep quiet, it would eat her up and without doubt she'd reveal information.

But the main reason is the numbers. If Tina boots Vytas she goes into the merge with Katie, Laura B and Monica, giving her 4, up against the 4 guys and Ciera, putting her down one at the merge, so the wild card becomes the Redemption Island returnee. If Laura M returns, she sides with Ciera and not with her previous alliance that blindsided her. If its Vytas returning, his first inclination will be to go to Aras, and again probably won't align with the group that just booted him, he'd go back to the safety in numbers and as a lesser threat. John is the unknown. Does he go back to the group that blindsided him, or does he **** it up and go with Monica. Even so, that 's only now 5-5.

By booting Laura, it keeps Vytas in the game and can potentially draw Aras over, giving Tina 5. No way Laura B wins immunity so its between Laura M and John as the returnee. If John wins, again who knows but if he does, now Ciera is alone and Katie was probably her closest ally/friend out there, so I think she'd go there and let them take out all the guys. If her mom wins, then it gets interesting.

Regardless though, in a game of numbers, I think Tina gave herself more options by getting rid of Laura over Vytas and at this point that's about all you can do.

Again if someone like Caleb/Hayden who seem to be more biding their time decides to make a power play then everything goes out the window and who knows what will happen.

I suspect things will look a bit clearly after the merge.

SBETigg
11-01-2013, 02:09 PM
I think Tina reduced her options and will end up going out soon. But I see your point. Anyone with loved ones left in the game is going to be a target after merge because you don't want two headed to the end together. It won't take much for anyone to make the argument to get rid of her, but with Vytas and Aras still a team, they would be the bigger targets.

But I'm not feeling good for Tina even making final six. Laura would have added to her numbers and I suspect Vytas will not. Any one of the three left at RI would probably be on the side against Tina at this point.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Any one of the three left at RI would probably be on the side against Tina at this point.

That's why keeping Vytas over Laura at least gives her an option. If he sticks with Tina and pulls in Aras, that gives her at least 5. Keeping Laura B. only gives her 4.

All that said about Tina, I have a feeling that its going to be a guys game to win. Only pure speculation, I think without giving it too much thought I'd rank the guys chances, best to worst
as follows:

Tyson
Hayden
Caleb
Gervase
Vytas
John - assuming he returns
Aras

Tina is the only woman I can see winning at this point, maybe Laura M if she survives Redemption and re-enters the game. I would just have a difficult time hearing at the reunion show:

Jeff: "the winner of Survivor Blood vs Water is..."(insert) Katie, Ciera or Monica. Tina is about the only one I can see winning amongst the women. But I agree, I think her chances are dwindling with the days. I don't think she has enough fire power to pull it off. Her best options might not be numbers, but instead make Aras her Colby and hope he can carry her to the end.

SBETigg
11-01-2013, 03:09 PM
That's why keeping Vytas over Laura at least gives her an option. If he sticks with Tina and pulls in Aras, that gives her at least 5. Keeping Laura B. only gives her 4.

You're assuming that Vytas would stick with Tina in the first place let alone after she votes him out, which is highly unlikely. Laura B was a definite until Tina ousted her, same with Laura M. I think Monica has the best shot of the women. She has no more blood in the game, but most of the guys admire Brad even if they turned on him. Plus she knows how to fly under the radar, something Tina can't manage to do.

Ian
11-02-2013, 10:11 AM
I think keeping Vytas in the game was a huge mistake. He and Aras will be an unstoppable force once they're reunited after the merge and it was dumb not to break them up.

Voting out Laura B was silly ... she's weak, has no allies in the game, and would have been the perfect pawn to use to manipulate your way through to the end.

I thought it was a bad move that will certainly bite them post-merge.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-04-2013, 09:58 AM
I think keeping Vytas in the game was a huge mistake. He and Aras will be an unstoppable force once they're reunited after the merge and it was dumb not to break them up.

Voting out Laura B was silly ... she's weak, has no allies in the game, and would have been the perfect pawn to use to manipulate your way through to the end.

I thought it was a bad move that will certainly bite them post-merge.

Survivor, when it all gets boiled down, always comes down to numbers. This season is different. It isn't the typical us vs them mentality where one tribe tries to come into the merge with numbers of the other, with the loved ones twist noone has contemplated that.

Was keeping Vytas risky, yes. Did it present more options, definitely. If they voted Vytas out, they go into the merge with Monica, Laura, Katie and Tina. Because of the loved one connection, I think in this scenario Tina will be viewed as a 2:1 vote and would get an earlier target on her back than she would have normally.

If and its always a big IF, she can keep Vytas in the fold and bring in Aras, who she had an alliance with prior, it gives her the early numbers advantage, plus she'd be the majority alliance within the bigger alliance. Only one of the brothers can run the table as far as immunity goes, and with no immunity idols in play, one of them should always be vulnerable and ripe for the picking.

I think there are a lot of ways this thing can play out, so I'm not ready to call keeping Vytas, or for that matter Aras (Tyson could have thrown the challenge) as a big mistake. If anything keeping Aras, from Tyson's perspective might have been the bigger mistake.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-04-2013, 10:06 AM
You're assuming that Vytas would stick with Tina in the first place let alone after she votes him out, which is highly unlikely. Laura B was a definite until Tina ousted her, same with Laura M. I think Monica has the best shot of the women. She has no more blood in the game, but most of the guys admire Brad even if they turned on him. Plus she knows how to fly under the radar, something Tina can't manage to do.

My point was that Tina wouldn't vote out Vytas, meaning two weeks in a row Tina was the force behind keeping Vytas, so if he thinks there is loyalty, there is definitely a good chance he sticks with her, especially since he doesn't have huge connections with his prior tribe, as was shown in the Brad vote. The question will be, does Aras bring Vytas to an alliance he forms, or does Vytas bring Aras over to his alliance.

As far as comparing Monica to Tina for flying under the radar, I guess I see it as the opposite. Considering that it appears that Tina is calling the shots, it appears that she is doing it without looking like she's doing it. If you can control your tribe without anyone seeing that you are doing it, that's a pretty good definition of flying under the radar. Monica on the other hand seems to be somewhat more confrontational and plays her strategy out in the open, like with Kat, and I don't get the impression that she is well liked.

I guess we'll see, a lot should be come more clear after this next tribal.

SBETigg
11-04-2013, 11:44 AM
My point was that Tina wouldn't vote out Vytas, meaning two weeks in a row Tina was the force behind keeping Vytas, so if he thinks there is loyalty, there is definitely a good chance he sticks with her, especially since he doesn't have huge connections with his prior tribe, as was shown in the Brad vote. The question will be, does Aras bring Vytas to an alliance he forms, or does Vytas bring Aras over to his alliance.

I really don't see the Brad vote as being all that divisive on that side. I think it was a bold move that not everyone was on board with at the time, but they could see the potential of it when Brad got rid of John. That was Brad showing that he wasn't necessarily a part of the Five Guy alliance they thought they had, if he was willing to dump any one of them. So I think the idea of dumping Brad might have been a surprise at the time, but I don't think the votes necessarily reflected opposition among them as much as "we didn't discuss this, what now?"

I could see Vytas going back to his original alliance with Hayden and Caleb, especially now that they're tight with Tyson and Gervase and they have Aras (even if Aras didn't know he wasn't part of the team) especially since guys/strength tend to be targeted post merge. The best bet might be for the guys to stick together until the women are gone. In which case, Ciera is in the best spot among the women as the one girl in that particular alliance. Yes, we'll see.

SBETigg
11-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Well, that was interesting. Clearly Vytas and Aras were planning on sticking with Tina, so good call there, Hitchhiking Ghost. But, they were still not with the numbers they thought they had due to Tina's lack of strategy. She's playing this game out of focus and I think it's going to cost her soon, judging from scenes from next week.

Tyson has the advantage of finding the idol and knowing that his group didn't need to split the vote, but Tina seems to be assuming that everyone out there is playing Tina's game. Why would anyone settle for a promise of 5th place or lower? I'm glad to see people playing the game and not just accepting their place in Tina's order. It made me like Monica a bit more. I also like that Ciera recognized that her mom coming back in was not a good thing for her. And it it looks like Vytas might have some more scrambling to do now that his brother is gone. I think Tyson needs to play a little more subtly, though. Since the switch, he has become a bit bolder and he might start to look a little too threatening. I'm not sure Tina blowing up at him won't put a target on his back as well as on hers.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Well, that was interesting. Clearly Vytas and Aras were planning on sticking with Tina, so good call there, Hitchhiking Ghost. But, they were still not with the numbers they thought they had due to Tina's lack of strategy. She's playing this game out of focus and I think it's going to cost her soon, judging from scenes from next week.

Tyson has the advantage of finding the idol and knowing that his group didn't need to split the vote, but Tina seems to be assuming that everyone out there is playing Tina's game. Why would anyone settle for a promise of 5th place or lower? I'm glad to see people playing the game and not just accepting their place in Tina's order. It made me like Monica a bit more. I also like that Ciera recognized that her mom coming back in was not a good thing for her. And it it looks like Vytas might have some more scrambling to do now that his brother is gone. I think Tyson needs to play a little more subtly, though. Since the switch, he has become a bit bolder and he might start to look a little too threatening. I'm not sure Tina blowing up at him won't put a target on his back as well as on hers.

I thought I had Tina pretty well figured out, the tribal switch up, the previous alliances, the remaining loved ones, she really only had one option if she was going to try and run the game and that was to keep the old Galong 5 together and then pull in Vytas/Katie. Not that it ultimately mattered, as Tyson had the numbers, but telling Monica her ranking is pretty much Survivor 101 and on top of the list of dumb things not to do.

So Tyson is running the show now. I would think the next three votes would be fairly mundane with Vtyas, Tina and Laura M, going home in whichever order. Get rid of Vytas to ensure only one brother can return, then break up the two remaining couples. With the numbers where they are at right now, it just doesn't seem likely that anyone is going to try and make a power play (along the lines of what Caleb did with Brad). None of the guys, other than Vytas, should feel threatened in the least so I don't see Hayden or Caleb doing anything (why break the trend) at this point.

Tina has lost her base, Monica is just a floater at this point, Katie is tied to her mom so the only wild card for me is Laura/Ciera and Hayden/Caleb and right now doesn't appear to be the time for them to do anything, I think they will be totally content with the "its not me strategy".

Tyson finally gets to be in charge, which should help his ego. The only problem is, careful what you wish for. As long as Aras was in the game, there was always a bigger target than himself. Now he gets outed as pulling the strings and the target shifts more towards him. I think he's safe for a while and then depending on how he uses the HII will determine if he can hold on to power until final 3.

I don't think I ever thought I'd say this, but I think Gervase is actually positioning himself extremely well and could be the biggest threat in the game. Tyson is playign the better overall game, but Gervase seems to be playing a good social game, he's involved in the strategy, but its not being perceived that he's the one dictating who goes, so all the hate is/will go to Tyson. If Gervase makes final 3, he'd be hard to beat.

Again I think more than anyone, Hayden and Caleb might play out as the wild cards.

SBETigg
11-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Tyson finally gets to be in charge, which should help his ego. The only problem is, careful what you wish for. As long as Aras was in the game, there was always a bigger target than himself. Now he gets outed as pulling the strings and the target shifts more towards him. I think he's safe for a while and then depending on how he uses the HII will determine if he can hold on to power until final 3.

I don't think I ever thought I'd say this, but I think Gervase is actually positioning himself extremely well and could be the biggest threat in the game. Tyson is playign the better overall game, but Gervase seems to be playing a good social game, he's involved in the strategy, but its not being perceived that he's the one dictating who goes, so all the hate is/will go to Tyson. If Gervase makes final 3, he'd be hard to beat.

Again I think more than anyone, Hayden and Caleb might play out as the wild cards.

Totally agree on Gervase being in a prime spot, as I said a few weeks ago. He's with Tyson, but Tyson's going to take the heat for the decisions and be a potential target. If Tyson makes it to the end, will people respect his decisions or hand it to Gervase? Provided they both make it, and it's looking better for Gervase right now. Also agree on Tyson's ego and be careful what you wish for. He had a buffer with Aras and he might have gotten rid of the buffer too soon, but it was probably his best strategic move for now. Sending Vytas next would probably be a good idea or Vytas will get a new plan going.

I don't think I had enough respect for Tina's earlier game play, but I can definitely say that revealing Monica's place in the pecking order was a huge mistake.

Ian
11-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Well that all turned out to be academic anyway, since Aras got the boot. Good move ... they were clearly the team that had to be broken up first.

I think the Gervase/Tyson alliance is going to be the one that generates the $1 million winner. They're kinda stealth and on the down-low ... that's where the winners typically come from.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-11-2013, 07:42 PM
I saw some posts and videos pop up today regarding Todd, who won the China season 6 years ago.

I you do a search on Todd Herzog Dr. Phil or Todd Herzog alcoholic you should find it. Its pretty sad to see what's happened. The Dr. Phil show hasn't aired yet from what I can tell.

The guy has really spiraled out of control.

SBETigg
11-11-2013, 08:04 PM
I saw some posts and videos pop up today regarding Todd, who won the China season 6 years ago.

I you do a search on Todd Herzog Dr. Phil or Todd Herzog alcoholic you should find it. Its pretty sad to see what's happened. The Dr. Phil show hasn't aired yet from what I can tell.

The guy has really spiraled out of control.

Wow, surprising. I hope he's getting the help he needs.

TheDuckRocks
11-12-2013, 01:33 PM
It might be airing today.

TheDuckRocks
11-14-2013, 11:27 AM
I miss spoke about when the episode with the Survivor will air. When I went to the Dr. Phil website they do not have it showing this week. There was no info up for following weeks. Sorry guys as soon as I find out I will let you know.

SBETigg
11-14-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm not a fan of double elimination shows because you barely have time to focus on the politics of elimination. But the Vytas cut was expected after Aras, and Tina was making her own bed. Though, the whole "angry meltdown" they showed on commercials was barely anything from Tina. I thought she might scramble a little more after that but she seemed to be resigned to it. Though she did try to find the idol and campaign for Monica's elimination at TC.

Monica is a problem, though, and I have to admit that she has no game. Zero game. Just a ball of paranoia and problems that Tina went after at TC, but a little late. Though, it seems to me that Monica might be a good one to bring to the end because no one likes her-- if she could be trusted that far, and that's a big if. I wouldn't mind Laura going again, as teased in scenes from next week, but I doubt Laura will be next considering they hinted at it pretty strongly, which usually means misdirection. Katie next week? She will have to get something going if she wants to stick around. I wouldn't keep her with her mom on the jury to try to convince people to vote for her in the end.

Ian
11-16-2013, 08:35 AM
I totally agree about Monica ... she's actually really annoying me with the paranoid rants. "Was it going to be me? Is that why everyone is scrambling? It was me, right? Is that why? Because it was me?"

OMG shut it already, lady!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-18-2013, 01:16 AM
I totally agree about Monica ... she's actually really annoying me with the paranoid rants. "Was it going to be me? Is that why everyone is scrambling? It was me, right? Is that why? Because it was me?"

OMG shut it already, lady!

What up Brad!

Did you hear what I said when I wrote Vytass name down, I said "what up Brad", yeah I really said it, I'm pretty hip and cool and down with it.

That was for you Brad, what up.

The woman is nuts, but sadly she seems to be lining up to be the 3rd wheel at FTC (with Gervase and Tyson??) and will be publicly flayed.

SBETigg
12-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Drawing rocks is never a good way to go. I see the need to make moves, and I'm glad they tried, but I wish Katie and Ciera had put their heads together, agreed to vote Hayden this time, and worked something out with Monica next. Oh well. So much easier to come up with these strategies outside the game, I'm sure.

Such sad news-- Tina's son (and Katie's brother) was killed in a car accident earlier this week. 25 years old. I'm not sure they will even make it to the finale now. I doubt they care who wins or loses, or anything about it, after such devastating news. My heart goes out to the family.

Melanie
12-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Yes. Very sad news about Tina's son.

I was really hoping Tyson would have drawn that rock. I don't know, as of late he's really bothering me. Something about him creeps me out. I love that Hayden is going kicking and screaming. That was a very entertaining tribal last night.

SBETigg
12-05-2013, 02:17 PM
I was really hoping Tyson would have drawn that rock. I don't know, as of late he's really bothering me. Something about him creeps me out. I love that Hayden is going kicking and screaming. That was a very entertaining tribal last night.

Tyson is irritating and super creepy. I don't know why I've started to root for him, but I actually want him to win. I've never liked him. Or Gervase. I don't know what has come over me. I've finally fallen for the Survivor editing tricks?

Ian
12-06-2013, 10:25 AM
I can't decide if that was a boneheaded move or if I just think that because hindsight is 20/20.

SBETigg
12-06-2013, 10:59 AM
I can't decide if that was a boneheaded move or if I just think that because hindsight is 20/20.

Yeah. Ciera's in the right place with realizing that she's on the bottom of an alliance and she needs to switch it up, but she went about it the wrong way. She only ended up switching out Tyson for Hayden, really, because she would come in third or fourth in either scenario. She would have been better off just sticking with Tyson and Gervase in that case.

What she could have done was start thinking earlier, before TC, and got something together with the women. If she made a move and went with Monica and Katie, they might have been able to pull something off. But not with Hayden and Katie. She put herself in a position of being part of their big move, not making her own move, and that's no different to a jury than if she edged out Monica to hang in there with Tyson and Gervase. In either case, she's just a pawn and could only win if everyone was bitter about Tyson and Gervase or Hayden and Katie. I don't see any scenario in which Monica could win, either, but who knows. She has at least been a challenge monster. And now Ciera looks like she messed up any chance she had. I think her move was more bone-headed than bold.

Ian
12-06-2013, 11:42 AM
See I'm more of the opinion that her best thing to do is play is straight down the line and ride her alliance out day to day. That strategy has worked before and, in the case of someone like Ciera who doesn't have a lot else going for her, it's probably her best bet.

If you think about it, I'm not sure Tyson was lying when he said she wasn't 4th. If I was Tyson, I'd want to bring Ciera over either Gervase or Monica.

missymouseworld
12-06-2013, 12:39 PM
I think that they better vote Monica off asap. She is pretty much dominating the individual immunity challenges. Last night she was right behind Gervase in the challenge.

missymouseworld
12-19-2013, 12:36 PM
I guess nobody was thrilled with the finale and the outcome.......

SBETigg
12-19-2013, 12:55 PM
I actually thought Tyson deserved to win. I thought it was a great season. Just haven't been back to comment. They said they would do another Blood V Water season and I would be on board for that. It added some new elements to the game.

The BBB season sounds interesting, too, and I am excited that we'll get all new people, no returning players (from what I've heard, we'll see). I tend to think that all of the teams will still be a mix of brains, brawn, and beauty because how do you really divide those up entirely, and I can't imagine them casting an unattractive bunch of people in general.

Scar
12-19-2013, 12:59 PM
The BBB season sounds interesting,...I'm interested in seeing what type of challenge the Beauty team can have an advantage in. :cool:

SBETigg
12-19-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm interested in seeing what type of challenge the Beauty team can have an advantage in. :cool:

You're probably kidding, but I was actually thinking about that! Do they have a chance next to Brains and Brawn in the early part of the season? I can see they might have some staying power after merge, if charm goes along with the beauty. But pre-merge chances? I guess we can't underestimate.

Scar
12-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Maybe they will let them do the challenges naked. Quite the distraction. :eyes:

TheDuckRocks
12-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Maybe they will let them do the challenges naked. Quite the distraction. :eyes:

They very well might and all we'd see would be an entire blurred TV screen.:thedolls:

I'm with Sherri in wondering how they will separate teams into these 3 groups. Aren't we all a mix of these 3 things to greater or lessor degree? And who will make the call on which group you would fall into? The producers or the contestant? I think I'd fall in one group but I kind of think someone else who didn't know me very well would put me in another.

Ian
12-21-2013, 01:44 PM
I just finally got to watch the finale last night ... the right guy won. It was funny, no one in my house liked Tyson at all, but by the end we were sort of questioning why. Outside of the fact that he's just a creepy dude, there's really nothing wrong with him.

Good season and the glad for the outcome.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-08-2014, 10:26 AM
I just finally got to watch the finale last night ... the right guy won. It was funny, no one in my house liked Tyson at all, but by the end we were sort of questioning why. Outside of the fact that he's just a creepy dude, there's really nothing wrong with him.

Good season and the glad for the outcome.

I finally got to watch it and was able to avoid the spoilers. I think we saw Caleb's boot then the holidays got in the way and we just fell behind, power watched the final two episodes and the reunion show last night.

I would agree that the right person won (actually I told my wife, if Monica wins I'm done watching Survivor) but disagree with it being a good season.

I thought the BvW twist started out very strong, throwing new elements into the mix, but once people figured out that loved ones were not switching, the season started its decline, and the Tyson win was evident pretty far back and post merge it was an extremely predictable season. They really tried to edit Monica as this forceful "game changer" but clearly she was never going to make any move.

The drawing of the rocks was really the only interesting event post merge, and had Tyson drawn the rock, maybe it would have gotten interesting, but all it did was get rid of an already useless Katie.

I think all the eliminations at the end made sense, had either Tina or Ciera snuck into final 3, I think they would have won. One irony, the reason Laura didn't make it back into the game was because of Tina, only reason Tina was still at Redemption was because of Laura.

Speaking of Redemption, I was hoping that the final tribal council would do something to redeem the season, but I thought it was one of the worst final tribals. Of the 8 jurists, only Caleb/Aras asked any questions that had bearing on the game. Vytas was a little whiner crybaby still throwing a fit, Tina "give me one word", Katie "Tyson why were you so mean when I got voted out" and the others were just "Monica, you need to be vulnerable". I didn't get it, pretty much one lame question after another.

I haven't read anything yet about next seasons BBB gimmick, but am not holding onto any false illusions that it will be good. I think Probst called this season 'survivor light" more in reference to the physical conditions, but it also applies to the season as a whole.

I think they are also getting to the point where they can just do away with the reunion show. Very little of import gets asked much less answered. And if I thought it was impossible for Kat to look more stupid than she did when she exited the show, she proved me wrong at the reunion show.