PDA

View Full Version : Glow With The Show Ears Coming to WDW

Melanie
09-09-2013, 04:03 PM
From the Disney Parks Blog:

We’re excited to announce today that the interactive, color-changing “Glow with the Show” Ears introduced at Disneyland Resort last summer are coming to the Walt Disney World Resort – beginning on October 15.

The magical Mickey Ear Hats will make their debut with Fantasmic! on October 15, a date that also happens to mark the 15th anniversary of the nighttime spectacular at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Also, beginning on October 19, “Glow with the Show” Ears will become part of “Wishes” fireworks and the “Celebrate the Magic” nighttime projection show at Cinderella Castle in Magic Kingdom Park. And during the holiday season, be sure to wear your Ears for special surprises during The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights and performances of “Holiday Wishes: Celebrate the Spirit of the Season.”

As Erin has shared with Disney Parks Blog readers, “Glow with the Show” Ear Hats employ leading edge technology to light up and synchronize with each entertainment experience in amazing and dazzling new ways, making members of the audience an integral part of the show.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Cool. I wonder how much they will cost?

Melanie
09-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Christine asked a great question up in the Theme Park forum that I will bring down here. Opinions are very strong regarding these ears. What's yours?

Personally, I've never been a fan and thankfully it wasn't an issue for me when I saw World of Color at California Adventure. From a long or overhead perspective, it may be cool if EVERYONE had them on, but that's just not realistic.

I just read someone's comment on Twitter that this will now just add to the list of sight obstructions, such as iPad photography/recording (STOPITNOW!), children on shoulders, lightsabers, etc. and I have to agree.

ETA: I do think it fits with Osborne Lights, but the others I'm just not convinced.

Melanie
09-09-2013, 04:29 PM
I love some of the hashtags I'm seeing as well - #GlowwiththeMoney #GlowAway #GlowHome

Melanie
09-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Cool. I wonder how much they will cost?

I think they are around $25 at Disneyland.

Christine
09-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Photographing nightmare! My pics in Disneyland got "blown out" by the very nearby flashing coming between me and the show. I'm giving this two big :down::down:

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-09-2013, 04:55 PM
I didn't think about them being an obstruction to viewing the shows, that's a good point. They are cool looking, I could see doing it for a one time event or maybe even Osbourne lights and then if Disney was passing them around to try out and not something you have to purchase.
If you can't afford to buy everyone in your party $25 ears you're kind of left out aren't you. Sounds like another money making idea:(

DizneyFreak2002
09-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Well people who are familiar with Disneyland are saying these hats are collecting dust on the shelves, that only the crowd control CMs and usher CMs wear them...

Guess they proved to be such a failure at DL they needed to bring them to WDW...

Melanie
09-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Photographing nightmare! My pics in Disneyland got "blown out" by the very nearby flashing coming between me and the show. I'm giving this two big :down::down:

I agree! I see a potential 'take it or leave it' for our next podcast. ;)

I didn't think about them being an obstruction to viewing the shows, that's a good point. They are cool looking, I could see doing it for a one time event or maybe even Osbourne lights and then if Disney was passing them around to try out and not something you have to purchase.

It may be totally different in Florida, but I didn't see that they were that popular in California. I definitely wouldn't feel left out!

Melanie
09-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Well people who are familiar with Disneyland are saying these hats are collecting dust on the shelves, that only the crowd control CMs and usher CMs wear them...

Guess they proved to be such a failure at DL they needed to bring them to WDW...

We were replying at the same time. This is exactly what I've experienced. We all know that the Florida and California crowds are very different though, so we shall see how it shakes out.

DizneyFreak2002
09-09-2013, 05:48 PM
We were replying at the same time. This is exactly what I've experienced. We all know that the Florida and California crowds are very different though, so we shall see how it shakes out.

Two different crowds for sure... I can see it playing out like DL... A strong start, but a quick fizzle... (was it even a strong start out there for these things?)

Melanie
09-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Two different crowds for sure... I can see it playing out like DL... A strong start, but a quick fizzle... (was it even a strong start out there for these things?)

The only time I actually saw cool photos and great participation was when they GAVE THE EARS AWAY right at the beginning.

Like I said, after I thought about it, I think it could be a great addition to the Osborne Lights. I even think Illuminations could benefit, being that there usually isn't a huge stack up of people at the railing (thus, not a lot of folks being obstructed). But alas, Illuminations is not in the plans right now. How cool would it be to look across World Showcase and see the ears lighting up in sync to the music? Hey, something to do in that 5 minute lull getting the globe out in the center!

faline
09-09-2013, 06:09 PM
I need to come down on the side of not in favor. Remember the pins they used to sell that interacted with rides by lighting up??

Christine
09-09-2013, 06:17 PM
i agree! I see a potential 'take it or leave it' for our next podcast. ;) !

:)

Melanie
09-09-2013, 06:33 PM
I need to come down on the side of not in favor. Remember the pins they used to sell that interacted with rides by lighting up??

I do, Linda! I may still have a few. IMO, those weren't nearly annoying as the potential these ears have. Did you think so?

DizneyFreak2002
09-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Like I said, after I thought about it, I think it could be a great addition to the Osborne Lights. I even think Illuminations could benefit, being that there usually isn't a huge stack up of people at the railing (thus, not a lot of folks being obstructed). But alas, Illuminations is not in the plans right now. How cool would it be to look across World Showcase and see the ears lighting up in sync to the music? Hey, something to do in that 5 minute lull getting the globe out in the center!

I'm sure they are working on details right now to incorporate these glow ears into Illuminations... They would actually fit in with the show.. I can see them being less of a distraction with Illuminations since everyone is pretty much spread out around the lagoon, rather than cramped up in an area or bunched together on Main Street...

kakn7294
09-09-2013, 06:52 PM
I find all of the glowing junk that they sell to be a distraction at Fantasmic, the nighttime parade, and on the bus ride home as well. It's not so much of an issue at Wishes and Illuminations where I'm looking up rather than over a crowd. That said, it might not be so bad if they are actually synchronized to work with the show that you're watching. And I do think they're cute otherwise.

Disney4us2
09-09-2013, 07:08 PM
We have the glow ears. I don't think it is worth the $25.00 ($24.99 + tax). They are top heavy and hard to stay on Jessica's head. The strap needs to be adjusted or tied tighter to somewhat stay on. The first ears something went wrong and they wouldn't light up. A CM was nice enought to exchange it without a recipt.

At Disneyland it works with the World of Color, Fantasmic and not sure if they programed it for the fireworks.

They are cool in the fact that they change colors and glow. I can think of other ways to spend the $$$ on :bar::bar::bar:

Disney4us2
09-09-2013, 07:18 PM
I forgot to mention, the battery pack is in the hat. That is why it is top heavy.

SBETigg
09-09-2013, 10:31 PM
I think they're potentially obnoxious. Pretty sure they would annoy me.

mickeyman42
09-10-2013, 06:08 AM
So if I'm on main street with my glowing ears watching wishes, for who's benefit am I wearing the ears? obviously not mine, they're on my head. Basically I have to pay $25 to "improve" someone elses experience of Wishes (or whatever show we are watching). I get that it would be a cool photo/perspective to see a mass of glowing ears synced up to the show but if I'm in the mass (wearing my ears) then I don't get that perspective.
So I don't get why I, as a consumer,would buy these ears. to "fit in" with everyone else? ah peer pressure at its finest, buy our ears or you won't fit in! :mickey:
Or I guess Disney is saying "you pay us $25 and go entertain yourselves"

I am saying this in jest of course, I really don't care, so please don't think I''m just hating on something before I actually see it.

Melanie
09-10-2013, 06:10 AM
I am saying this in jest of course, I really don't care, so please don't think I''m just hating on something before I actually see it.

But you have great points! ;)

BrerGnat
09-10-2013, 07:24 AM
I think it is a dumb concept. Spend $25 for a light up toy that you can't even see yourself? Dumb.

PopPhan
09-10-2013, 07:54 AM
I would just as soon have them do something like the "3D" glasses they (used to?) have for the Osborne Lights -- The ones that gave you 'special' add-on effects like snowflakes.....

They could make them lenticular glasses that would change scene based on the light that hits them and the angle it hits.

K8screen
09-10-2013, 07:54 AM
From a purely selfish point of view, we arrive the day they are due to start. Do you think fantastmic will be packed with people trying them out, so we won't get in unless we line up for hours, and do you think they might hand them out for free like they did at first at DL? We certainly won't be buying them but we do want to see Fantasmic.

DizneyRox
09-10-2013, 08:08 AM
My advice, avoid...

Remember what happened to Pal Mickey?

faline
09-10-2013, 08:10 AM
I do, Linda! I may still have a few. IMO, those weren't nearly annoying as the potential these ears have. Did you think so?

I had one or two as well. In retrospect, they were a bit annoying but, since not a lot of folks were wearing them, certainly less so than a crowd of folks having hats flashing in unison! I don't mind the glow sticks that folks wear or hold. In my opinion, the more folks that wear the hats, though, the more it will take away from the show at hand.

Aurora
09-10-2013, 10:08 AM
I think it would be a cool idea if it was used to bring new life to an older show, like Illuminations, or was a big part of a brand new show. But the price is too high. Not going to spend almost $100 for hats for my 3 kids.

ctandy
09-10-2013, 12:24 PM
We got the ears on the Members Cruise as a gift in January. I thought it looked great when they flashed the same colors during the pirates show on the top deck. In looking back at our pictures, I can see how they did not come out great but if you are not taking many pictures, just to see the light show was fun.

joonyer
09-10-2013, 02:13 PM
I think it is a dumb concept. Spend $25 for a light up toy that you can't even see yourself? Dumb.

This was my first though as well. I'll just let somebody else pay for them so I can see the effect. Of course if everybody felt the same way . . . well you can see why they aren't exactly "lighting" up the world with sales.

minnie04
09-10-2013, 02:47 PM
I thought it was a cute idea until I read all the negative post about them. I think the price is going to be the determining factor for people. There will be first time park goers that like this and will shell out the $25 for their kids to have something from the trip. Just give it a few months and they will be in all the outlet Disney stores for half price (if not lower). :mickey:

NJGIRL
09-10-2013, 07:01 PM
The ears sound like those light up pins they used to sell. They would light up and blink at attractions and when fireworks, parades, and shows were starting. They didn't last too long. I don't think they sold very well.

MNNHFLTX
09-11-2013, 07:59 AM
The ears sound like those light up pins they used to sell. They would light up and blink at attractions and when fireworks, parades, and shows were starting. They didn't last too long. I don't think they sold very well.
We had a couple of those pins and while I don't think they were as annoying as the ears will be, I would often turn them off or hide them on the dark rides, like Pirates. They were distracting even to me, so I thought it might be the same to others.

Count me in as not in favor of the glowing ears. When I'm watching Wishes I want to see Wishes, not someone's mouse ears glowing or blinking in front of me. Same with Fantasmic.

Disney4us2
09-11-2013, 08:17 AM
I think it will be a big seller, mainly because it is something new at WDW and the novelty of the ears.

They continue to be a good selling item at Disneyland, even after a year or two. I saw them all day and night walking around the parks.

DD's are packed away in a box right now.

Melanie
09-11-2013, 08:24 AM
They continue to be a good selling item at Disneyland, even after a year or two. I saw them all day and night walking around the parks.

I know you were there a lot Marci, but I didn't notice them at all in Disneyland last week. The only time I saw them was on a sale table at one of the stores near Little Mermaid. I'm going to really pay attention when I'm there in a few months.

Susan A
09-11-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm wondering how heavy they are.
Of course they'll debut while we're there. I can see the kids getting a case of the gimmies...
I guess they would be neat to wear on Halloween night....
It will be something else I'll have to talk my kids out of...

Quadstriker
09-13-2013, 02:48 PM
In DL earlier this year we got to wear them in a special section on main street for people with GWTS ears right in the middle of the street for the fireworks show, and it looked amazing and really added to the experience.

The ears only look good when in groups imo. I'm all for them, but you've got to group people with them together, then it's like a special club with secret handshakes and cool lights that you want to belong to. I say make a special section for the ears all the time!

CaptSmee
10-04-2013, 11:50 AM
I can't wait to see them! Adding to large spectacles trying to make them grander spectacles is what Disney does best! :cool:

Skippy
10-10-2013, 07:28 AM
say make a special section for the ears all the time!

You may be on to something. Take a section of Main Street, rope it off and, put them all in one place. The $25 buys you a hat and a spot like the wishes dessert arty. as a bonus it keeps them away from others trying to enjoy the pure show.

2Epcot
10-11-2013, 05:29 AM
I disagree that these have every been "good selling" at Disneyland. The only time I've ever seen them in large amounts at Disneyland, or CA Adventure, were when they were given away during the introduction for promotional photos and video.

In theory a great idea, in the real world, it doesn't work. You only get the true effect if enough people have them. At the price point Disney is trying to sell them, there will never be enough to do what the Imagineeers intended.

The technology is great. The ability to change colors, sync to music and shows. Work in zoned areas so people standing in one section have certain colors while people in another have different colors and flashing patterns. Looks fantastic when you have a large number of people wearing them ... It doesn't work at all when you have a few people scattered among a large crowd with them.

For the amount of people buying them, they might as well just be old school random flashing light hats.

Melanie
10-11-2013, 06:58 AM
I disagree that these have every been "good selling" at Disneyland. The only time I've ever seen them in large amounts at Disneyland, or CA Adventure, were when they were given away during the introduction for promotional photos and video.

Thanks for confirming, Chris.

Terra
10-12-2013, 10:28 PM
I think it would be a cool idea if it was used to bring new life to an older show, like Illuminations, or was a big part of a brand new show. But the price is too high. Not going to spend almost $100 for hats for my 3 kids.

I would love to see them lighting up during Illuminations all around the lagoon! I think it would make a great picture! :)

I willing to try it [or rather my kiddos! They would love it]

Middle of the Map
10-13-2013, 11:23 PM
OK, so the ears are set to interact with music and shows at WDW or DL? Can they interact when you get home and turn on your radio, or do they just sit there and remind you of the money you spent?

I wish Disney would spend money to bring back the crowd favorites like the Christmas lights and music at EPCOT.

I do miss that very much.

Terra
10-14-2013, 07:01 AM
OK, so the ears are set to interact with music and shows at WDW or DL? Can they interact when you get home and turn on your radio, or do they just sit there and remind you of the money you spent?

I wish Disney would spend money to bring back the crowd favorites like the Christmas lights and music at EPCOT.

I agree there! I miss the beautiful archway into World Showcase!

2Epcot
10-28-2013, 10:14 PM

I believe they just sit there are remind you of the money you spent ... Though they may have a random pattern.

The ears receive special signals based on the show they are interacting with, and the location of the person within that show area.

DizneyFreak2002
10-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Saw only a handful used the last week... No one seemed to be buying them, or at least very few... Saw maybe 10 people with them at Fantasmic, and maybe double that for Wishes... These were a failure at Disneyland... Who thought they would go over at WDW???

Melanie
10-31-2013, 08:00 AM
Saw only a handful used the last week... No one seemed to be buying them, or at least very few... Saw maybe 10 people with them at Fantasmic, and maybe double that for Wishes... These were a failure at Disneyland... Who thought they would go over at WDW???

Not me.

MrPeetrie
11-01-2013, 02:16 PM

I miss this, as well.