PDA

View Full Version : Here we go !!

quackaddict
09-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Booked a week in June of 2014 this weekend, off property in a rental home. DW and I are pumped, as we honeymooned in Disney 10 years ago, but due to numerous circumstances, have had to scrap 2 trips since then....DS 8 and DS 5 are so excited, we just told them this evening.

We will be staying with 3 other families, all of us long time friends, 8 adults and 9 kids in total.

Biggest question, any suggestions for a road trip from Detroit to WDW ?? Movies, snacks, etc are pretty much a "have to", but anyone have any tips out of the ordinary?

Thanks, and in case I didn't mention it, we CANT WAIT !!!

We LOVE Disney
09-09-2013, 09:21 PM
We've driven from Lake Orion, MI to WDW almost every time we've gone with our 3 kids.

Last year we drove straight thru! We now have 4 drivers so it makes it easy. We left our house at 4am and got to POR around 8:30pm. We are doing the same thing next year but leaving slightly earlier so we can get there a little earlier too :mickey:

Like you said, movies and snacks are a must. Even tho my oldest is 19 and my youngest is 13, we still like to play those silly games just to pass the time! We play the alphabet game from the billboards, hangman etc. I've seen magnetic, travel sized board games that could be fun. Maybe you can see how many different license plates you can see while driving, maybe write down all of the states beforehand and check off the ones you see. We do 20 questions Disney style. You may have to scale it down due to your kids ages but we try to guess the park, try to guess the ride, try to guess the resort, try to guess the food or try to guess anything in any of the parks and any of the resorts which includes DTD & water parks. The last one I did was a Mickey balloon :mickey:

By the way, we will be there at the end of June 2014!

DANAM
09-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Our last trip we rent Redbox movies the kids had never seen. This worked better than we planned. They were quite almost the entire trip. We did play the occational game of eye spy and liscense plate bingo but all in all peaceful ride. Plus we leave at 4am so they will sleep the first 4 hours or so.

mechanic
09-10-2013, 02:47 AM
another michigan driver here! from Lapeer. every trip has been a road trip. we used to drive straight through. our best time was 28 hours. but ive heard of people making it in 24 or so. we used to catch a quick nap at the Georgia welcome center or the Florida one depending on timing.
if taking i75 don't take the Cincinnati bypass. take the atlanta bypass if it is near morning or evening rush hour, and always take the macon bypass.
i push the speed limit by 5-8 mph in every state never been stopped.
use gas buddy app to find cheapest fuel.

tink'72
09-10-2013, 10:21 AM
We drove from Boston to Florida for years and absolutely the movies snacks etc. I always did a goodie bag. For each trip I bought the kids new drawstring backpacks usually Disney themed (you can get them on ebay cheap) and put all new things in there. The morning we were leaving each kid got a new backpack that they hadn't seen before which makes it more exciting and easily lasted an hour going through all their new things. I put in each bag a whole bunch of stuff from new movies to new types of candy they wanted to try to and (depending on age) a Journal and camara so they can record and take their own pictures. My kids always felt that was the best part of the bag. My little guy always got a new little action figure in his. I would cater to bag to whatever the child liked. My daughter was into travel games so in her bag she got travel scrabble and those 20Q electronic things, along with any other travel type game I could find. She loved it!

We always had such a fun trip! Enjoy!

quackaddict
09-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks guys !!! DW and I have been toying with the idea of what time to leave. I say Midnight-ish, as the boys will probably sleep until about 6 or 7. that would put half the first day behind us. I have done straight through before, and would LOVE to again, but don't see it happening with my little monsters ;)

I like the bag idea, I'm going to do that for sure !!! Keep em coming, and THANKS !!!

oh, btw, we LOVe Dis, how late in June ??