View Full Version : We Really Need a Vacation - Part 9

faline
09-07-2013, 02:26 PM
When: August 20 – 28, 2013

Who: Gene & Me

Today: August 28, 2013 - Wednesday

Plan for the Day: Go home

The Reality:

For the first time this trip, I set an alarm. We will get up at 7 in order to pack. The alarm goes off as set and up we get. We gather clothes and other items, get them sorted and packed into the appropriate cases. We double check all the drawers and various other spots where we might have missed something and seem to have collected it all.

We are checking two bags so drag those down to the airline resort checkin desk. The bags are accepted and we return to the room. We hang out for a little bit and decide to head off to the airport. We take our carry-ons out to the rental car and point the car to Orlando International. Along the way, we stop to fill the tank. We find the Thrifty return without incident and head over to the terminal. Our airline tickets include the “Even More” option which also offers expedited security screening. There is an arrow pointing the left but it is not clear we should be entering that area. We ask and indeed we have to go down and around most of the other security lines to the expedited screening area. I’m so glad we had this option at this airport – getting through security here is just nuts.

Gene throws his wallet into the plastic bin. One of the TSA agents says he can keep his wallet with him as he walks through security. I open my bag and grab my wallet as well.

I am pulled aside after going through the screening machine as a yellow patch shows up in an area of my lower right back. The woman asks if I am still tender in that area – I think she assumed I had some surgery. I told her there is nothing there. She pats the suspect area and says that sometimes even a little sweat will show up as a suspect area on the screen. The woman who came through behind me also had a yellow patch and was pulled aside. Gene walked through without requiring any additional screening.

We take the shuttle to the gate area and find our gate – all the way at the end of the hall. Time to get something to eat. There’s a Mexican restaurant so we go there and grab some lunch before heading to our gate. We get to board early which is nice as is the extra legroom with the seat. Our takeoff is on time. The ride is a bit choppy here and there.

Originally, we thought we might land a bit early. However, the pilot announces we are now in a holding pattern and making a circle around Providence. Fortunately, only one such circle is required and we end up landing pretty much on time.

On board, they had originally announced bags would be at one carousel. They later amended that to a different carousel. When we landed, we went to the carousel announced on the flight. Our flight was not not noted on that carousel. Our flight was noted on the board as having bags delivered to a carousel on the opposite side so we trekked over there and saw our flight displayed on the monitor. We waited there for a while and then heard a PA announcement that our bags would actually be at the first carousel we visited so we trekked back on over to the other side.

After we finally retrieve our bags, we are quickly picked up by Gene's brother. Traffic is quite bad on the way home - enough so that he takes an alternate route. Still, he delivers us safely to our front door. Another Disney trip has come to an end.

another tink
09-07-2013, 03:56 PM
thanks for your trip report. I really enjoyed it.

pdrlkr
09-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Thanks for all the great Reports! :smickey:

Sunshine1010
09-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Love reading your reports. :-)

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the reports

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Sorry for the confusion at the end of the trip with the bags.

I love your trip reports ... thank for sharing again!

stephicakes
09-08-2013, 06:44 AM
Great reports!! Thanks for posting all of them! Fun read :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
09-08-2013, 11:12 AM
I enjoyed reading your reports. Glad you guys had a great time and made it home safe!

DisneyDINK
09-09-2013, 06:18 PM
DW and I got Nexus cards and have been using the TSA per-check in Seattle and other airports (LAX, MSP). I read a bit about this expedited security service they are selling now. Did you pay extra for this or is it perk of your frequent flyer program?

faline
09-09-2013, 06:22 PM
DW and I got Nexus cards and have been using the TSA per-check in Seattle and other airports (LAX, MSP). I read a bit about this expedited security service they are selling now. Did you pay extra for this or is it perk of your frequent flyer program?

Paid extra. We are part of the frequent flyer program but don't fly frequently enough or often enough to stack up other perks.

DisneyorBust
09-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Thanks for sharing your trip reports, as always they are enjoyable to read.

vizsla
09-18-2013, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the report.

princessgirls
09-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Linda,

So glad you and Gene had a lovely enjoyable fun trip to Disney!

Thanks for your great reports! I enjoyed them!

Julie:mickey:

KylesMom
09-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Yes, I agree, Linda - MCO can certainly be a zoo, especially the security lines. Glad you had the expedited check - and I am also glad that you didn't have to go through any further inspection with TSA :thumbsup:

So sad your trip is over - I always have such fun reading about your adventures! :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I had fun going along for the ride.

Beach Club Babe
10-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the great report! As always, i enjoyed it immensely!

amorillo
10-07-2013, 02:24 PM
All in all it sounds like another great trip! Thanks for sharing it with us!

We used the extra leg room upgrade on JetBlue last year and really appreciated it! Especially with two little ones under 5. They could wiggle around without disturbing those in front of us! Definitely worth the extra money!!