PDA

View Full Version : Changinh menus

LVT
09-04-2013, 07:55 PM
I see a lot of complaints about menu changes.
I am surprised. Most, if not all of the restaurants near me change out the menus at least once a year. The better places change often. What am I missing?

Susan A
09-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Some people remember a certain dish/meal that they had on vacation. The next time they're in Disney, they head back to the restaurant to have the same experience, only to find out the dish is no longer on the menu. That has happened to me. :( It can be disappointing.

NJGIRL
09-04-2013, 10:44 PM
I agree, that is probably why people get upset about changes.

It has happened to me also. I have made a return trip to a restaurant where I have had a dish I really liked only to find it's not on the menu anymore. When I am looking forward to ordering a certain dish and then I can't get it, I find nothing satisfies me.

DANAM
09-04-2013, 10:47 PM
So disappointing especially since you can only have it in Disney. Oh how I miss those potatoes at 'Ohana's. But honestly after all this time I think I may like the noodles better. :jaw:

AvonleaCF
09-04-2013, 11:02 PM
I ate at Cape May Cafe tonight and was so upset Oreo bonbons were gone. I had no idea they'd been removed and was looking forward to them.

taleasoldastime
09-05-2013, 12:05 AM
As long as they never change the bread pudding at Ohanas, i am ok with menu changes.
touch my bread pudding though and the world may never be the same :mad:

brownie
09-05-2013, 07:45 AM
When you find something you really like but aren't able to have it on a regular basis since you only go to Disney World once a year or less, you might be disappointed if it's been taken off the menu. You might be really looking forward to having it again. When the place is local, you might be able to get there before it's removed from the menu.

On my very first trip in 1994, I had Cottage Pie at the Rose & Crown. This was a full meal of just Cottage Pie. I liked it so much that we bought the recipe book just so we could make it at home. I was looking forward to it on my next trip in 2000, and made reservations at the Rose & Crown just to get Cottage Pie. What a disappointment to find it had been removed from the menu as a full meal and was only listed as part of a sampler. I was able to work it out to turn the sampler into a full Cottage Pie.

People often have an emotional attachment to favorite foods. It's very understandable to see people complain and be upset about a favorite food item being taken off the menu.

BrerGnat
09-05-2013, 08:06 AM
I ate at Cape May Cafe tonight and was so upset Oreo bonbons were gone. I had no idea they'd been removed and was looking forward to them.

They sell those at the Marketplace at the Beach Club. Not that it will help you now, but if you're still on property, go there to get your fix!

I like when they change up the menus, personally. There are very few restaurant dishes that I am attached to. I like trying new things.

AvonleaCF
09-06-2013, 08:35 PM
They sell those at the Marketplace at the Beach Club. Not that it will help you now, but if you're still on property, go there to get your fix!

I'm staying at the Beach Club and saw them, but didn't want 6! Oh well...

JerseyDad
09-07-2013, 09:49 AM
.....menu changes? I'll top that: How about missing menus?

....after a 9 day stay at POP ...1/3 of the published menu items were not available ...and / or nowhere to be found in the Everything POP food court.

...POP recently (spring time I think) revamped its menu in what I think was an attempt to mirror the the more exotic / ethnic / varied offerings that are available at AoA.

....well ....for 7 out of my 9 days there ...one of the four food stations was not open. This was the one that would serve the varying array of dinner offerings ...and in the morning ...it was the omelet station.

....so not only did they remove several 'favorites' that we grew accustomed to seeing over our 11 stays in the past 10 years ....the newly touted menu items only existed in print.

....attendance at POP is down ...and that was verified to me by several cast members at POP. But to short change the guests that ARE there but scaling back food options ...is completely wrong ...and bad hospitality industry protocol. And ...several of the items that were available ...were "cheaped down" ...including the Tie-Dye Cheesecake ...which is now a shadow of its former self ...being mass produced and served in a pudding cup like the chocolate fudge cake that's available at most o the food venues in the parks as a dessert option

disneynarula
09-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Because a lot of people go to the same places every trip and order the same thing.

Jared
09-09-2013, 10:46 AM
including the Tie-Dye Cheesecake ...which is now a shadow of its former self ...being mass produced and served in a pudding cup like the chocolate fudge cake that's available at most o the food venues in the parks as a dessert option
Really? That cheesecake is no longer served as a big slice?

Well, that's depressing. I always thought this was one of the most popular -- and profitable -- items on the Pop Century food court menu. I don't even eat the darn thing, but it's hard to hear this news and perceive it as anything other than a cutback of some kind.

JerseyDad
09-10-2013, 08:00 PM

Well, that's depressing. I always thought this was one of the most popular -- and profitable -- items on the Pop Century food court menu. I don't even eat the darn thing, but it's hard to hear this news and perceive it as anything other than a cutback of some kind.

....a most definite ...and depressing cutback. I was there 9 days ....and could not bring myself to purchase it (seriously). It was one of the special things about POP ...and now they have taken that away.

...don't be surprised if it shows up in other venues now ...like the carrot cake ...or chocolate fudge cake.

Polynesian Dweller
09-10-2013, 10:27 PM

Shouldn't really be a surprise. Look at a typical box of cereal. A few years ago they made the box taller but thinner so there is less in the box but it looks like more. The price stayed the same but it was actually an increase.

Restaurants have the same issues. Costs of producing the item increase do to costs of ingredients. So you have three choices, increase prices which customers resist or reduce portion size and keep the price the same which people do accept or, finally, drop the item which may hurt the restaurant's reputation.

Happens to all restaurants including ones in our hotel group and its a tough decision that happens regularly.