PDA

View Full Version : WDW Beach Club Trip Report - The Ugly

azcavalier
09-04-2013, 10:34 AM
1. Eating like you're on the DDP...but paying OOP - Wow. We didn't get the dining plan this trip, but decided to eat OOP. We had ADRs for table service restaurants for probably half of our days, which is a departure for us. We usually schedule around the free DDP, but this time we used the Tables in Wonderland card that we had purchased back for our April trip. We always ate breakfast in our rooms, and we had our own bottled water, plus snacks we would take to the park with us. Many times we had our ADRs for lunch, hoping for a cheaper menu. The only table-service dinners that we had were O'hana and Liberty Tree. In the end, even after eating off-property for three meals, we think we spent around $2000. The DDP would have cost us around $1900 for the entire trip, and we would have had more Table Service meals. What we discovered was, for us, since we feel that the restaurants are an integral part of the WDW experience, the DDP is a good deal, made even better when it's free. We save far more on the DDP than getting a room discount.

2. Laundry at the Beach Club - The laundry room by the quiet pool had four washers and eight dryers. When I tried to do laundry, one washer was out of service, and four dryers were out of service. One of the washers I was using broke 2/3rds of the way through. It just froze up at 17 minutes left, and wouldn't start again. I tried everything. Finally, I had to move it to another machine and start over. Then, the first dryer I tried to use wouldn't start. It took my money, and then.....nothing. By the time I finished my three loads of laundry...three hours later...there were only two washers and three dryers working. I complained to management, and of course they refunded my four dollars. Losing money, however, wasn't the point. There is no way that a Deluxe Resort should have that many broken-down machines at once.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the report, I agree with the DP it works for us too...ugh hope they get those washers fixed

buzznwoodysmom
09-04-2013, 11:52 AM
A lot of people insist that the DDP isn't a good deal. And sometimes it's really not. However, there have been trips that we kept all receipts and the DDP was actually the better deal. It really depends where you eat and what you order. We've had trips where we spent way less than what we would have paid for the dining plan. Then there are trips where we were glad we had it (or wished we had it).

That's really unacceptable about the washer/dryer situation at the resort. For me, time is money in WDW. Even tho they refunded your lost money, they can't make up for lost time dealing with the issues. Hope they fix the problem soon.

princessgirls
09-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Any time I have gone to WDW it has been has been with a "free" DDP, even staying at a Value resort and paying the difference between the "Counter Service" and "DDP" has saved us a huge amount of money. We enjoy eating at Table Service places. That's a enjoyable part of the vacation for us. While I don't agree with all of the changes, for the most part, the DDP works for us!

Julie:mickey

faline
09-04-2013, 05:26 PM
The washer/dryer situation sounds quite frustrating!!

I have to say that I'm a pretty big fan of the Tables in Wonderland program and for our family of 2 adults that seems to work better than the dining plan but I'm sure it varies from family to family.

pdrlkr
09-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the Report!

NJGIRL
09-07-2013, 07:13 PM
The DDP is not for us because it's much more food than we eat as a family. We do one table service per day, but for the other meal, we eat very light and sometimes even split food.

But for a family who likes bigger meals I can see where it is a good deal.

We had the same exact problem with the washers and dryers at the Coronado last October. Lost a couple of bucks and two hours of our time.:(