PDA

View Full Version : A question for our friends across the pond

wilcat
09-04-2013, 07:33 AM
I am thinking of surprising my DH with a trip to London and the UK for our 40th anniversary. Can you tell me which month is better to visit? Our 40th is in October of 2016 so I was thinking Sept or October depending on which month the weather is better. I would rather not have to carry around heavy jackets if possible. Also do you know of any tour groups that are better then others? Any input and advise would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Cathy

merciantinkerbell
09-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Can't help with the tour groups I'm afraid, but when in October would you visit? September and up to mid October can be very pleasant with lightweight showerproof jackets needed. Mid to late October can get rather windy - a cool wind at that - and the temp can drop very low at night with frosts not unheard of. At the time of writing this it's currently 24-26C! Our weather is very changeable, that's why we Brits always carry jackets and umbrellas! LOL

DisneyFan1979
09-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Not a Brit, but I spent an 8-day vacation in London in mid September 2011 and found the weather to be ideal for touring: lightweight jacket or light sweater, pants, and sneakers were perfect. It was also a great time to go in terms of crowd levels as things were slowing down after the busy summer holidays.

One huge thing to remember is that Buckingham Palace is only open for tours on a limited schedule when the queen is traveling elsewhere--usually August through September. Touring the palace was one of the MAJOR highlights of my trip, so I would recommend September over October for that reason alone.

Quadstriker
09-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Also do you know of any tour groups that are better then others? Any input and advise would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Cathy

Get the Rick Steves London or UK book.

Jen1984
10-02-2013, 06:11 PM
I'd agree with the previous posters, in the UK unfortunately there is no guarantee that the weather will be good- and also when you think it will be bad, it can really surprise you in a good way! I've been in October before and the weather was fine. I'm not sure about tour groups, but London is so easy to get around with the tube/bus system that you might find you don't necessarily need one- you'll then be able to discover all the little known markets, streets etc. London's a fantastic city, so I hope you have a brilliant time!

merciantinkerbell
10-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Spent two days in London a couple of weeks ago, the 19th and 20th Sept. The first day was very wet and rather chilly but the second day was so warm and sunny that POTC hoodie sufficed! And I feel the cold, that's why I like Florida so much!! We visited Cutty Sark and Royal Observatory where the Meridian Line is. Well worth it, esp Cutty Sark

Zawadi
10-12-2013, 04:28 PM
If it is just the two of you then I would recommend the 2nd week of Sept:

More daylight hours
Warmer
Schools have restarted hence quieter

London is easy to get around. Tube, bus or walk. We regularly walk around, often clocking up 10 miles in a day.

There are several museums, house, parks and shows to suite all including:

Buckingham Palace
Greenwich
Vistoria and Albert Museum
British Museum
Harrods
London Eye
Houses of Parliament (Saturdays only)

It would be a long day, but you could also take the Eurostar to Paris (2hrs 15min plus check-in time each way)