PDA

View Full Version : Magic Bands

Tippy987
09-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Hi -has anyone used the magic bands? If so waist easier to get into the parks? How did the bands work on opening the doors? Do only certain buildings have the magic band access? We are staying at the Poly so would like to know. Thanks:mickey:

JerseyDad
09-03-2013, 10:09 PM
....just got back from a 9 day stay at POP and we had the Magic Bands (and the FastPass+ option).

....the bands ...in my opinion ...did not speed up the access to the parks. They need to be held against the sensor "just right" to work ...and you still need to do a fingerprint scan.

...the same held true for the doors too. If you don't line it up against the sensor just right ...it won't function. This was the case with making purchases that are charged to your room ....it's TOO dependent on a perfect alignment of the Mickey symbol on the band with the sensor. Disney seems to know this is a problem ...because my band didn't work all the time, and they had "information takers" all over the parks to come and question you about malfunctioning bands ...and they have a whole column on their checklist for this type of problem.

....what the band does do ...is stop you from having to fumble in a wallet or purse to retrieve a KTTW card (which we were given anyway ....and worked to open the room door much easier than the band).

....it's a bit unsettling that when we used the band for park access or as the FastPass+ access to a ride, that a cast member immediately knows my name. More than once as I entered the park ...a CM said, "Hi John". And my mind quickly shifted into the, "Do I Know You"!! mode.

mgmnut
09-03-2013, 10:37 PM
We did not have the bands, but IMHO one plus that came out of the preparation for the Magic Band / Disney Experience thing actually was park access, at least using the KTTW Card. Sounds like there are frustrations with scanning the bands but the cards seemed to get recognised no matter how you held them to the scanner to get into the park or the room.

Looked to me like many more people can enter a park at a time now. Scan your card and finger and your through (depending on who is in front of you) without going through an actual turnstile anymore.

I would say they doubled the turnstile throughput with this new method. Seems like in the space of 2 of the old turnstile they fit 4 of those Magic Mickey Poles.

Maybe it is just me but I always felt like herd cattle trying to get to and through the old turnstiles. You would have to teach the little ones each time how to push the bar over and walk through, now they just scan and go, no gate to get through. This seemed less chaotic getting through now.

Maybe the specific position required for the band scan is by design rather than being an issue. It sounds like much more personal info can be pulled from the new Magic Bands. This specific scan position requirement may be for security purposes to prevent "accidental scans" when you go by a sensor with a band hanging on your wrist. Or, future prevention in case someone figures out how to make a band reader and walks around getting scans without needing close proximity. I know it sounds crazy....... until it happens.

JerseyDad
09-03-2013, 11:29 PM
We did not have the bands, but IMHO one plus that came out of the preparation for the Magic Band / Disney Experience thing actually was park access, at least using the KTTW Card. Sounds like there are frustrations with scanning the bands but the cards seemed to get recognised no matter how you held them to the scanner to get into the park or the room.

Looked to me like many more people can enter a park at a time now. Scan your card and finger and your through (depending on who is in front of you) without going through an actual turnstile anymore.

I would say they doubled the turnstile throughput with this new method. Seems like in the space of 2 of the old turnstile they fit 4 of those Magic Mickey Poles.

Maybe it is just me but I always felt like herd cattle trying to get to and through the old turnstiles. You would have to teach the little ones each time how to push the bar over and walk through, now they just scan and go, no gate to get through. This seemed less chaotic getting through now.

Maybe the specific position required for the band scan is by design rather than being an issue. It sounds like much more personal info can be pulled from the new Magic Bands. This specific scan position requirement may be for security purposes to prevent "accidental scans" when you go by a sensor with a band hanging on your wrist. Or, future prevention in case someone figures out how to make a band reader and walks around getting scans without needing close proximity. I know it sounds crazy....... until it happens.

......the turnstile removal has definitely helped with the passage of strollers and wheelchairs ...but I didn't see a marked difference in the number of guests passing thru the scanners. There were tie ups all over the parks....

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-04-2013, 07:06 AM
....the bands ...in my opinion ...did not speed up the access to the parks. They need to be held against the sensor "just right" to work ...and you still need to do a fingerprint scan.

I saw more than a couple of people wearing their Magic Band on the same side as the finger they scanned. So, they had to tap the magic band, and then move to the finger scanner.

Most times it seemed to take them at least 3 or 4 times to get it all right ... mental note, wear the magic band on the OTHER side.

Mitzie
09-04-2013, 09:10 AM
At least the magic bands will help avoid the same kind of mishap we had with my dear MIL..we were entering Epcot through the IGW and she went to put her KTW card into the reader and some how she put it in a slot in the machine..they had to take apart the machine to get it back out..The CM and my DH and I wondered how she even managed to get it in there. At least it wasn't busy that morning because this process took about 20 minutes.

stephicakes
09-04-2013, 03:48 PM
I saw more than a couple of people wearing their Magic Band on the same side as the finger they scanned. So, they had to tap the magic band, and then move to the finger scanner.

Most times it seemed to take them at least 3 or 4 times to get it all right ... mental note, wear the magic band on the OTHER side.

Ahhhh.... good point! That's a helpful tip :)

#1donaldfan
09-05-2013, 12:27 PM
:cool:We used them and they worked pretty good. Our only issue was scanning them at WCC. We had to use our card, which they gave us in case the band failed to work. The door locks on the room worked great, tap and enter !! I love this change !! :cool: