View Full Version : We Really Need a Vacation - Part 5

faline
09-03-2013, 06:16 PM
When: August 20 – 28, 2013

Who: Gene & Me

Today: August 24, 2013 - Saturday

Plan for the Day: Disney Studios. Hollywood Brown Derby for a late lunch

The Reality:

We’re slow moving this morning but walk over to Disney Studios after we get going. We check out the standby line for Toy Story Mania – 90 minutes – not happening. Fast pass return times sometime around 4 in the afternoon. That’s not happening either.

We head into the Writers Shop to get coffee and something to eat. I have the white chocolate macadamia nut cookie and Gene has a muffin. There is no place to sit inside so we head outside and find a shady bench. My cookie is to huge, I can’t eat it all so set aside almost half of it for another time.

My Disney app indicates there is only a 10 minute wait for Star Tours and we’re in the neighborhood so head over there. With a 40 minute stand-by time for Tower of Terror, we walk over and grab fastpasses. There is enough time to ride the Big Movie Ride while we wait – this has a 20-30 minute standby time with the line starting out of doors. The fast passes certainly come in handy for our Tower of Terror ride. Rock n Roller Coaster is now listed at a 30 minute standby so we head there. The line builds quickly behind us – guess everyone else headed over there when they noticed a relatively reasonable standby time. Still, the wait is closer to 40 minutes. It starts to rain. We whip out our umbrellas and wander through some of the shops. We check in a bit early for our 1:45 pm Hollywood Brown Derby reservation. I select fettucine alfredo with chicken. Gene has a cheeseburger.

The sun has returned by time we leave the restaurant. We decide there is nothing else in the park we want to do so we walk back to Boardwalk. Along the way, I feel something brushing against my ankle. The new camera case we got in Mousegears the other day has unraveled and is hanging down around my ankles by a thread. This is not good.

Gene has suggested we go to the pool for a swim so we change into our suits and head there. It’s cloudy but warm when we enter the pool. It begins to sprinkle but there is no thunder. Shortly after that, we hear thunder and decide to exit the pool. We are just exiting the pool when they shut it down. It begins to rain in earnest. We get seats at the pool bar and order drinks thinking we’ll wait it out. It continues to pour and there is lightning and thunder as well. With our drinks finished and the storm weakening, but not quite over, we make our way back to our room.

I don’t really remember what we did later – perhaps we went into Epcot for a little bit- but I do know we again watched Illuminations from our balcony and I used another bath bomb before heading to bed.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Sounds like a nice day, you guys are getting a lot of rain though

Mickey'sGirl
09-04-2013, 12:57 PM
I love your night time ritual!

Did you have a chance to stop for a drink at the Belle Vue Lounge?

VWL Mom
09-04-2013, 01:01 PM
I love the Writers Shop. Great place for an afternoon snack.

The lines at ToT were long, the boys ended up passing on it and doing RnRc twice in less than 30 minutes (single rider).

You're just loving those bath bombs, aren't you ;)

faline
09-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Did you have a chance to stop for a drink at the Belle Vue Lounge?

We never did make it over there in the evening. We did breakfast there one morning - it's a lovely spot.

faline
09-04-2013, 02:13 PM
IYou're just loving those bath bombs, aren't you ;)

I am which is sort of funny because I rarely take baths at home and have in the past, never wanted a spa tub. On this last trip, however, I told Gene I might need one of those in our next house!! :D

DisneyorBust
09-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the report. Although DW doesn't ride RnR, I normally hop on. I have found that the posted wait times are normally shorter, 10-15 mins, than the actual times.

buzznwoodysmom
09-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Love your nightly routine! Could totally see myself doing the same.

I love the writers shop in DHS. It's one of my favorite out of the way places in Disney. The carrot cake and cream cheese cookie is amazing, but so big a family could share it!

pdrlkr
09-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

DisneyDINK
09-09-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm thinking of doing the Brown Derby for lunch on an upcoming trip. Should I make an ADR or rethink?

DisneyDINK
09-09-2013, 11:41 AM
BTW, we have a spa tub and an outdoor one. It is really awesome and relaxing on those spring, fall and winter nights. It is my goto spot to listen to the podcast. You will use more water/energy, though.

faline
09-09-2013, 06:18 PM
I'm thinking of doing the Brown Derby for lunch on an upcoming trip. Should I make an ADR or rethink?

I've walked up at opening time and been able to walk in. I've also been pretty successful at making same day reservations for lunch at this location. If this is a must-do, though, I'd suggest making a reservation to be sure you have the spot you want.

faline
09-09-2013, 06:20 PM
BTW, we have a spa tub and an outdoor one. It is really awesome and relaxing on those spring, fall and winter nights. It is my goto spot to listen to the podcast. You will use more water/energy, though.

We have a huge multi-level deck. My son-in-law picked out a spot on the smallest of the deck areas as the "perfect" location for the outdoor spa but we've opted not to install one - maybe in our next house!!

vizsla
09-11-2013, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the report.

KylesMom
09-25-2013, 01:35 PM
And I was gonna ask if you're getting low on bath bombs already! hehe

While you missed TSM today, it sounds like you were able to hit most of the other key attractions at DHS. I must admit, due to the pickiness of my family, we've never eaten at Hollywood Brown Derby!

Another great day, Linda! :mickey:

Beach Club Babe
10-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Sounds like another nice day despite the rain.

amorillo
10-07-2013, 01:52 PM
More great rides and great food! We haven't been back to Brown Derby in a few years... but the food and service were excellent!