PDA

View Full Version : Christmas decorations at Deluxe resorts

spoiledraf
09-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Our goal on our first Christmas Season visit is to hit all the Deluxe resorts to see their decorations. We'll be splitting our stay at GF and YC so the monorail resorts and Epcot resorts will be easy. Is it worth the effort to go to the Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge to see theirs as well. Time is money at Disney and I don't want to spend time on busses traveling around if it isn't warranted. :bus:

And any special holiday spots anybody likes at any resorts or theme parks?

DebK
09-03-2013, 10:19 AM
I would go see them. They really are lovely. If you are pressed for time you can always get a cab instead of a bus.....

Kairi_7378
09-03-2013, 11:10 AM
The decorations are lovely! I would consider making an ADR or plan to visit the lounges for meals to add to the "worth" of the visit. (I use our dinner reservations as an excuse to visit the deluxe resorts.)

brownie
09-03-2013, 11:17 AM
They're worth it if you have the time.

AgentC
09-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Wilderness Lodge is one of my favorites to visit at Christmas. The tree is beautiful and the whole resort just has that woodsy Christmas feeling. Instead of taking the bus you could take the boat over from MK which is also enjoyable.

Animal Kingdom has a massive tree with unique decorations. It is more out of the way than the other resorts but you can plan a nice afternoon or evening there by adding a meal and some animal viewing. The lounge at AKL is beautiful. A nice place to sit and relax.

#1donaldfan
09-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Animal Kingdom I know for sure has great Christmas decorations !! If you get a chance also add one moderate to your list. RIverside !! It's a mod with a deluxe feel. It's always very well decorated for Christmas !! You ride bus it over, then take the boat to DtD for shopping ?? !! :mickey:

Mackflava99
09-03-2013, 01:43 PM
We went this ast holiday season and I was very impressed-

My favorites were:

Grand Floridian
Beach Club
Boardwalk
Animal kingdom lodge
Swan
yacht Club

But my favorite surprisingly was the Dolphin

Great tree, great atmosphere and there were trees in the spinning doors!!

spoiledraf
09-03-2013, 01:55 PM
We went this ast holiday season and I was very impressed-

But my favorite surprisingly was the Dolphin

Great tree, great atmosphere and there were trees in the spinning doors!!

Swan and Dolphin! I forgot about those. Have to go back to the spread sheet and make time adjustments to see them!

Oh wait. We have dinner at Shulas on the 5th. We'll catch them that evening.

Speaking of evening are some (or most) better after dark?

buzznwoodysmom
09-03-2013, 03:56 PM
If I had time to tour only one resort for the holidays it would be WL. To me it is the best resort for the holidays and I would definitely try not to miss it.

spoiledraf
09-03-2013, 04:12 PM
If I had time to tour only one resort for the holidays it would be WL. To me it is the best resort for the holidays and I would definitely try not to miss it.

A check of the spreadsheet...2 pm, Dec. 3rd. It's on the schedule! Allowed a couple hours to go there and the Contemporary and maybe the Poly after some time at MK. Then back for MVMCP later in the day! Busy Day.

Lindsey310
09-03-2013, 05:27 PM
I would def hit wilderness lodge...AKLis really nice too...you could go there after AK. You could hit WL when you are at the MK , take the boat. The Christmas decorations are beautiful, try and see all of the deluxe resorts :mickey:

46 daysssssssss :joy:

buzznwoodysmom
09-03-2013, 05:51 PM
A check of the spreadsheet...2 pm, Dec. 3rd. It's on the schedule! Allowed a couple hours to go there and the Contemporary and maybe the Poly after some time at MK. Then back for MVMCP later in the day! Busy Day.

If you have time you can visit WL on any day you visit the monorail resort's. It's a quick boat ride from CR! The boat goes directly between contemporary and WL and fort wilderness campground. It's always been a quick ride for us. You're going to love all the holiday decor!

steamboat willy
09-05-2013, 11:26 AM
As ALL the Resorts have unique Christmas Decorations, one place stands out with custom trees to me. Back in the Camp Minnie - Mickey area past the entrance to FOTLK there is a Character Meet with Micky, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto and a few other DISNEY CHARACTERS. Each has a tree that is decorated with ornaments and such unique to the character. I like these as much as the Grand ones in RESORTS and you don't have to leave the PARK.
:tree::santa::snowman::deer::candy::tree:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
09-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Last year, I think it was at both AKL & WL, but I could be wrong, they had photographers stationed by the trees, so you could use your photopass card to get pictures taken by them. Regardless, both are very nice lobbies and they decorate them very nice and definitely worth a side trip.

Another worthwhile side trip is to drive through the Fort Wilderness campground. Coming from snowy Minnesota I always get a kick out of how the campers go all out decorating their campground spots for Christmas in sunny snowless Florida. Some are pretty elaborate.

I miss the lit arches at EPCOT that joined the two worlds and led up to the tree. They did holiday theming at EPCOT a huge disservice when they stopped putting them up.

Jeddie
09-05-2013, 02:53 PM
We stayed at the Contemporary week after Thanksgiving 2011 and I loved the huge lighted Mickey ears wreath hanging outside the glass front of the hotel where the monorails enter coming from the MK. Also, they had a really cool ginger bread display a, la Small World style, and had a great pin to match for the resort that we got.

All the deluxe hotels really have something unique and if nothing else look really nicely decorated for the holidays so definitely take some time to check them out!