View Full Version : We Really Need a Vacation - Part 4

faline
09-02-2013, 03:08 PM
When: August 20 – 28, 2013

Who: Gene & Me

Today: August 23, 2013 - Friday

Plan for the Day: Typhoon Lagoon – Dinner at Le Cellier

The Reality:

We drive over to Typhoon Lagoon, arriving around 9:15 in the morning. We rent a locker and a couple of towels. We find a couple of lounges – perhaps today I’ll even use them.
Off to the wave pool. I’m not a strong swimmer so I remain in areas I know I can handle. Still, the thrust when one is hit by a wave is quite strong. It would actually be safer to be deeper as it is more likely that one will get scraped up when getting knocked off one’s feet in shallow water rather than deeper water.
We don’t stay here long. Next up is a circuit of the lazy river. It’s early so there aren’t any empty tubes floating by. We follow the river along until we find the section which has a large pile of tubes piled up on the shore waiting for folks to bring them into the river. We start with a double tube but Gene decides he really can’t fit in one side. He selects another single tube while I remain a solo in the double. Still, we float along together. Along the way, we encounter a boy swimming with a waterproof camera. I’ve just gotten this model and ask him how well it performs for underwater shots. He replies that he is quite satisfied with its performance to date. Somehow, I’m surprised with his answer – I didn’t expect such an adult style response.

From here, we check out the family raft ride though I forget what it’s called. I thought we had done this before but neither one of us remembers having to drag the tube up to the starting spot. We do recall having to share a raft with two teenage boys. This time, we have the raft to ourselves. It’s quite a short ride. The long line waiting for a raft combined with the need to cart the raft guides our decision to skip a second go round.

Let’s go check out the shark snorkeling section. Wow! It certainly has been a long time since we’ve been to this water park. Both of us remember that the shark snorkeling was in a rather contained tank rather than the large pool now available. Still, neither one of us is going to attempt the snorkeling run through.
It’s time for lunch. We head to Typhoon Tillie’s (Is that the right name?). I think Gene had a burger. I have the coated shrimp and fries. I’m surprised at how many shrimp are included. I can’t finish them all. Gene has several. When we return to our chairs, we find that one has been taken from us and the other is in the process of being taken “Oh sorry!” the person responds as she removes her items from our lounge in a hurry.

We head back to the wave pool. I’ve taken my waterproof camera out of the locker and spend some time taking pictures while Gene tackles the waves. We decide we’ll leave. Guess it’s a good thing we didn’t end up wanting to use those lounges after all. We give our remaining lounge to another family who has just arrived and is settling in for the afternoon.

After showers, we head over to Epcot. I have wanted to check out the new wine bar in Italy so we head there. We each order a dessert and a flight of wines – mine is bubbly – Gene’s are white. I have chocolate covered cherries and Gene a cannoli. I don’t like the last one of the three wines I have – too sweet. Gene likes all of his. The chocolate covered cherries are delicious and the size of the portion is not overwhelming. I’d return here again – perhaps even to try a lunch.

Norway lists a 15 minute wait time and it is about that. The movie was playing as we exit the boat. There is no way across the theater without disturbing those who are watching so I select a seat and sit down. The movie ends 30 seconds later.

The skies are looking very threatening now and we’ve left our umbrellas at home. We purchase another pair of Mickey umbrellas (We now have 5 – why 5, I’m not sure but 5 it is. Two I brought to Disney with us and 1 I left at home).
We head to Living with the Seas. After Finding Nemo, we visit with Crush, view the Manatees and Dolphins – one seems to be enjoying flying around the tank upside down. Thunder for sure but still no lightening. Living with the Land is a total walk-on Soarin’ has a ridiculous wait – not happening.

Next up is Journey into Imagination – this is a Fastpass + option – really??!! Ride over, we decide to check out to see if Spaceship Earth has closed as scheduled. Yep – it’s down. Into World Showcase we go. We arrive for the tail end of the British Invasion set. We head back to Canada and catch Off Kilter’s show. After that, we go into Le Cellier. We’re a bit early and they tell us they are unable to check us in early – we should return about 10 minutes before our reservation (about 15 minutes from when we are told this). We agree and remain seated. Just before we are ready to check in again, the hostess comes by and says she has gotten us checked in. A few minutes later we are seated.

We share the lobster salad. I have another filet – this one with mushroom risotto. Gene has the New York Strip. Both are quite good. We do not have dessert. Instead of staying here for Illuminations, we head home and watch from our balcony.

Tubby and bed – I’m in a vacation routine!

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Sounds like a great day! You're sure making use of the waterpark part of the passes.

I was as amazed (and confused) about the FP+ option for Figment ... geesh!

pdrlkr
09-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

NJGIRL
09-02-2013, 05:07 PM
In all of the times we have been to TL I have never seen anyone swimming with the sharks...Has anyone here ever tried it? If so has was your experience.

Linda, did you have personal items on your beach chair? I can't believe how rude people can be.

The last time we went to TL there was a multiple family group with lots of teens sitting next to us. It was a little breezy that day, and while they were eating their lunch their trash was blowing off of the table. Not only didn't the kids pick it up, the adults with them didn't bother either. :confused:

faline
09-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Linda, did you have personal items on your beach chair? I can't believe how rude people can be.

We did have personal items on our lounge. In our absence, they had been moved from the lounge to a sand chair.

There were folks in the shark pool when we were there. I've never done it and am not sure I would.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the report the wine flights sound interesting

DisneyorBust
09-06-2013, 10:05 AM
I am enjoying reading your exploits. It sounds like you and your husband had another great day despite the rude folks at Typhoon lagoon making off with your lounger.

buzznwoodysmom
09-06-2013, 02:27 PM
DH has done the shark snorkel at TL before. He said it was enjoyable, but the water was so cold. I remember being in line to do it, but backed out last minute. I wasn't afraid to swim with the sharks, I was afraid to put the mouth piece in my mouth! I remember standing there looking around at all the people in line with us and the thought of the mouth piece being in someone else's mouth before totally grossed me out.

Your trip is really making me wish for a trip with just DH and myself one day! It'll be a while, the kids would kill us if we went without them, but one day....

vizsla
09-09-2013, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the report.

Beach Club Babe
09-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Another fantastic day!

KylesMom
09-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Lots more fun activities today, and some great eats too! I agree as well - when I heard that Journey was a FP+ option I just scratched my head. I don't get it either!!!!!

Sounds like the rain stayed away once you purchased those umbrellas - isn't that the way it always works?! :mickey:

amorillo
10-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Both of my teenagers tried the shark snorkeling a few times... they really enjoyed it.

LeCelier's Mushroom filet is a must have for me on every trip! So Yummy! My mouth is now watering just thinking about it!

Pocahontas
10-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a fun day!

My daughter and I have went through the shark tank on 2 occasions. We both loved it! It has beautiful colorful coral and amazing fish/sharks. It can be so relaxing and just completely feels like you're taken far away from everyone. The only thing for me, is that it takes me awhile to get used to the snorkel before I can get into the water. It makes me feel as if I'm smothering.

I have ADRs for LeCellier on our next trip and you definitely got my mouth watering!