View Full Version : We Really Need a Vacation - Part 3

faline
09-01-2013, 07:32 PM
When: August 20 – 28, 2013

Who: Gene & Me

Today: August 22, 2013 - Thursday

Plan for the Day: Epcot with dinner at Yachtsman Steak House

The Reality:

I realized my Magic Kingdom day isn’t until almost the end of our trip so decided today would be a Magic Kingdom day instead of an Epcot day so we head to the bus stop. One gentleman complains about the amount of time he has been waiting for a Downtown Disney bus. Chad, the cast member on bus monitor duty tells him exactly when the last bus was at the Boardwalk bus stop but he does it with a little bit of an edge. Fortunately, a Downtown Disney bus arrives shortly after that exchange.

While waiting for the Magic Kingdom bus, I use the Disney Experience app to make a luncheon reservation for The Plaza Restaurant at 11:20 a.m. The park is open until 11 pm tonight. The crowds are indicative of the need for the late park hours. It is very hot and humid. We head over to Peter Pan. The standby is already at 30 minutes but the fast pass return times are right when we’ll be having lunch so we’ll try again later.

We walk into the New Fantasyland area – first time we’ve been in this area. We snap a few pics – check progress on the train ride construction and get into the 20 minute posted wait line for Under the Sea. It was really just a walk-on. We liked the ride.It was a bit longer than we expected. As we exit the area, we see folks are already lined up for lunch at Be Our Guest. Cast members are handing out umbrellas to those in line to protect them from the sun.

We now pick up fast passes for Peter Pan – standby has increased to 40 minutes. We head over to Winnie the Pooh. The standby line is listed as 40 minutes. Oh well – we have 40 minutes, at least, before our luncheon reservation so we get on line. I think we were through in about 25-30 minutes – not bad. Now, we even have time for a quick ride on the Carousel which has reopened (It was down for refurb when we arrived). However, there is no music playing when the Carousel runs.

It’s almost time for our lunch and we’re getting hungry so we head over to the Plaza. We wait about 20 minutes to be seated – to be fair, we were seated right about on the dot for our 11:20 reservation time. I had a chicken sandwich with chips along with a vanilla milkshake. Gene had a burger and fries along with a chocolate milkshake. We are certainly not hungry any more!

We’ve entered our fast pass return time for Peter Pan so return there to find that the fast pass line is being formed on the sidewalk outside the ride, This, obviously, is to keep the fastpass lane open for those who are on Fastpass +. We are let into the line and are chatting with others near us about the new fastpass + system. A man in line shows us his fastpass + bracelet and tells us all we need to do is to go online and signup and we can have a bracelet and not even have to use the fastpass ticket machines. Ok – thanks for that help.

We head to Splash Mountain. Standby is at 85 minutes!! Fastpass returns times are for around 4 in the afternoon. Instead, we get fast passes for Big Thunder Mountain and take a circle tour ride on the Disney Railroad. Back in Frontierland, we have about 10 more minutes to wait before we can enter the fastpass line. There’s a line forming for fastpass and Gene figures we’ll be at our 1:15 return time by time we get to the cast member. I think we were actually a minute early but the castmember let us through anyway.

We walked right into County Bear Jamboree. When we exited, it was very dark and thundering and the River Boat was shut down so we walked right into The Hall of Presidents. Forgive me – but the heat and all caught up with me and I could not keep my eyes open during this show. I know I dozed through most of it!! When we exited, we talked about heading to Mickey’s Philharmagic but decided, instead, we would get out of Disney before the 3 o’clock parade came through. What time is that 3 o’clock parade anyway?

There is quite a line at the Boardwalk bus stop and we probably waited another 10 minutes or so before a bus arrived. By time the bus arrived, we had quite a full load. On the way back, we went by an accident which, at first glance seemed to involve a van and a Disney bus though I can’t be sure of that.

Back to our room for some R&R before dinner.
Around 5 or so, we set off for the Yacht Club. Weather is looking rather iffy but holds off. We have a drink at the pool bar at the Yacht Club before heading in to check in for our reservation at Yachtsman’s Steak House. We are seated almost immediately. Our dinner is lovely. I have a salad made from products grown in The Land greenhouses. Gene choose the cheese assortment which we’ve shared on other occasions. Tonight, we have a bottle of wine with dinner. My entrée is a fillet mignon while Gene has a New York Strip steak. Instead of a dessert, we each choose a specialty coffee. We didn't drink all of our wine so we bring the rest of the bottle home with us.

After dinner, we stop at the Pearl Factory shop outside. I didn’t realize they are owned by Na Hoku! In any case, nothing really caught my eye despite the best efforts of the saleswoman at the counter. She even told me how beautiful my dress was and how lovely I looked in it. Still no sale for her.

We made a stop in the Wyland Gallery. Here I found a lovely humpback whale necklace which Gene promptly bought for me. Who knew they were associated with Maui Divers? I’m learning a lot this evening!

We even make it back home in time to enjoy Illuminations from our balcony once again. Tubby and bed.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Sounds like a great day - and you were smart to take a break in the heat of the afternoon, it was really warm!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Sounds like a good but hot day

Mickey'sGirl
09-02-2013, 01:51 PM
I find the heat catches up with me more often than not when inside a darkened air conditioned theatre. ;)

Your evening sounds lovely, and I appreciate you sharing that man's comments on Fastpass+. It really cleared things up for me. :blush:

pdrlkr
09-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

DisneyorBust
09-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Despite the heat and long wait times, it seems like you had a very good day. I especially understand the difficulty in keeping ones eyes open during the Hall of Presidents show, it's so refreshing to sit in a cool, dark environment.
Thanks for reporting.

buzznwoodysmom
09-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Another wonderful day.

Your dinner, shopping, and Illuminations from your balcony sound like the perfect evening. You guys are going to be spoiled by your nightly fireworks!

vizsla
09-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the report.

DisneyDINK
09-09-2013, 10:12 AM
... we would get out of Disney before the 3 o’clock parade came through. What time is that 3 o’clock parade anyway?

Gave me a chuckle. I worked at Amkrak for 12 years. "What time does the 10:00am leave?" Often enough that was a totally legitimate question.

faline
09-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Gave me a chuckle. I worked at Amkrak for 12 years. "What time does the !0:00am leave?" Often enough that was a totally legitimate question.

We say t-shirts in Disney on this last trip that had the parade question time on the t-shirt!!

princessgirls
09-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Great Disney Day Linda!

Your dinner sounds amazing!!

Thanks for sharing!
Julie:mickey:

KylesMom
09-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Yep, 85 minutes for Splash Mountain standby sounds about right for the season! Despite the crowds, it sounds like you're having a great trip. Dinner followed by Illuminations on the balcony - how delightful! :mickey:

Beach Club Babe
09-25-2013, 10:27 AM
It sounds like you had a wonderful dinner. It also seems like there were quite the crowds with those stanby wait times.

amorillo
10-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Not sure if i could handle that heat.... but your in wdw.... so i'm sure it makes it more bearable!!

We haven't tried Yachtsman Steak House yet... but it's on our to do list for next year! Can't wait!