PDA

View Full Version : updating iPad from Apple site

Katzateer
08-28-2013, 10:37 AM
I never update my iPad or iPhone- I know I should but for a non- tech person it just doesn't work as easily as the apple site says it will.

My iPad is running very poorly and lots of Facebook problems so I tryed to update today.

What is iCloud? If it is installed, will I get charged for using it or is it just the update for my iPhone and iPad? I could not get my wifi password to work(we have wireless Internet service through Verizon) and it ended up my only way to complete the update was to clck the iCloud option.

And my iPad Facebook is not working better. :(

Thanks for any information!:thumbsup:

paymerich
08-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Something does not sound right ?

Normally a Ipad user would go to the App Store Icon , open it up and the click on updates . if you are not low on storage memory , click on Update All. Otherwise just update the app you need updated.

If you have not done a SYSTEM update , go to the Settings Icon , General , Software Update . It will tell you ithere is an update for you Ipad .

BTW which Generation IPad do you possess ? if its a Gen 1 you can not run the upcoming iOS 7. I also think ( maybe wrong) it also can't run Ios 6 .

SBETigg
08-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Maybe go to an Apple store and get some help there. I'm not very techie, but it is easy for me. I update now and then at iTunes (sync) without any problems. When there's a system update, my iPad usually has it available under settings. iCloud doesn't cost you extra and you can turn it off for things you don't want to use it. It just helps to sync your iPhone, iPad, and MacBook if you're using any of those without you having to physically update them yourself (to my limited understanding). Say you add something to your calendar on iPhone, it will update at your iPad, too, if you're using iCloud. Maybe check under settings: general to see if you are due for a software update.

Not sure what is going on with Facebook specifically, but you should be able to see if you need to update that under App Store: Updates. If you have a lot to update, don't click update all but start specifically with the ones most important to you (Facebook, in this case). And just remember to check that frequently and do the updates as they come in. You can check Settings: Notifications (I think) to make sure it alerts you when you need updates, which is usually just pressing the update button (but you will need your password). *If I'm understanding your issues correctly, and chances are I am not.

1DisneyNut
08-28-2013, 12:13 PM
iCloud is just an in the "cloud" storage where you can access your media (music, pictures, etc.) from multiple devices regardless of where you are or what device you are using.

As for the Facebook app, it sounds like you may have a memory issue or perhaps the app itself got corrupted somehow. I would try uninstalling the app, reboot the device, reinstall the app and set it back up.

Katzateer
08-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks for all the info- I did the update settings like suggested but it gotme worried when I got it all done and it would not let me use myverizon wireless code and I had to go with icloud. As long as I wont get extra charges for online time(like you do when listening to music or streaming movies......I am fine.

Not sure what my Facebook issues are but icant do a lot of things I used to be able to do. If I want to share a post I have to do it from my iPhone and icant send private messages . Also the iPad logs off when I am scrolling down reading messages.

Katzateer
08-28-2013, 12:59 PM
My iPad is old- it is about4 years old. My iPhone is an older one also- about 2 years old and when I got it they were just coming out with a newer one. I got this one a little cheaper from Verizon since a new one was coming out thatweek

Kenny1113
08-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Are the issues only with FB? Maybe the app needs to be updated?

Also an apple genius had told me once, the device (iphone)needs to be manually shut off once in a while (no, battery dying didnt count ;) ). Maybe the same is true for iPad? I have not any issues with mine yet.

Katzateer
08-28-2013, 03:27 PM

Also an apple genius had told me once, the device (iphone)needs to be manually shut off once in a while (no, battery dying didnt count ;) ). Maybe the same is true for iPad? I have not any issues with mine yet.

That is true shutting them off solves problems 90% of the time. :thumbsup:

1DisneyNut
08-28-2013, 03:46 PM

It is not just iphones, it is all computerized devices such as desktops, laptops, smart phones, tablets, etc. It is called "rebooting" the device. It clears the memory as well has clearing any glitches or loops that may have occurred. Every so often they need to be rebooted. I usually reboot my Android phone about once a week just to clear it out.

VWL Mom
08-30-2013, 08:43 AM
I have Verizon and have never been asked for my wifi password when updating. That is stored in your settings so you may check there to make sure it didn't get changed somehow. I have been asked for my Apple ID password which is different.

I do my updates through ITunes for both my Ipad (original) and Iphone, seems to be much easier. I also back them up at the same time.

I've been having the same issue with FB but it only happens sometimes. Not sure what that's about.