PDA

View Full Version : Reliable used car?

PirateLover
08-23-2013, 07:51 AM
My 2000 Ford Taurus has been in the shop more times than I can count in the past 2 years. It is becoming a real money pit, and I'm done with it. I am in the market for a newer used car. I don't have a full time job otherwise I would buy my first new car and pay it off in installments, but I do have a decent amount of money to spend (given to me as a present for completing my Masters, and specifically for a car).

The problem is I don't even know where to begin. I would like it to be pretty safe and reliable as I hope to have it for a long time and eventually tote a family around in it. I've always had sedans but I'm not against a crossover or small SUV, but I also don't want to be spending an arm and a leg on gas.

Does anyone have a car out there from around 2009 or newer that they absolutely love and have not had any problems with? I don't want to run into the same problems I did with my current car. I bought it used when it was about 6 years old, got 3 good years out of it, but the last 2-3 have been awful(it's not even at 100,000 miles yet). I want a vehicle with a lot of life left in it.

disneymom15
08-23-2013, 09:26 AM
We just traded off our 2008 Nissan Altima. We had "ZERO" mechanical problems with it. Our only problem was with the drivers side door arm rest (inner support broke).

dnickels
08-23-2013, 09:26 AM
While we can give you anecdotal examples, you'd be better off checking the JD Power, Consumer Reports and KBB lists of most reliable used cars. Just because username 'DisneyFanXY123' has a particular car and has been happy with it doesn't mean that car has a good reliability ranking overall.

We can't post links obviously, but google 'most reliable used cars' and rely on the data of hundreds of thousands of purchasers rather than the few responses we can give. :thumbsup:

Mfarquar
08-23-2013, 09:35 AM
I'm on my 2nd Subaru Legacy. I had a 2005 for 7 years and only had to have a catalytic converter replaced, which was under a Subaru transferable warranty (it lasts 7 years for environmental parts - I believe the newer models get at 10 year warranty on those parts. In addition, the regular warranty is 3 years, bumper to bumper). So I never put one dime into it other than regular maintenance. So far, I'm even more thrilled with my 2013 model Legacy. I usually do 27 - 31 mpg depending on my varied city traffic and highway driving.

My husband had the same experience with the smaller (and at a lower price point) Imprezza. Never put in a dime except when a rock hit his windshield on the highway and cracked it.

I also never had to shovel ONCE with this car and is fantastic in poor weather.

Both models also do very well in all consumer reports and safety studies.

BrerGnat
08-23-2013, 09:46 AM
There are many cars on the maket, but year after year, the same few cars pop up on the "most reliable" list. Honda and Toyota tend to show up a lot, and for good reason.

We've owned Hondas and Acuras since, forever! They are amazing cars.

I currently have a 2007 Honda CR-V and it is a great car. My husband has a 2009 Honda Fit and it is also excellent. It looks small, but it has SO much cargo space when you fold down the seats, it's unreal. We have two kids and both cars are equally good as far as toting around kids and "stuff". The Fit gets ridiculously good gas mileage, close to 50mpg HWY.

I can recommend any of the following "used" cars:

Honda Civic
Honda Accord
Honda Fit
Honda CR-V (2007 model year or newer)

The only money we've had to spend on our cars has been usual maintenance, tires, brakes, that sort of thing. Never had anything actually break.

laprana
08-23-2013, 10:22 AM
I totally agree with Natalie! I don't think you can go wrong with a Honda or Toyota. I just bought my 3rd Honda Civic about a month ago, replacing a 2007 Civic, which replaced a 2002 Civic. Between both of my older Civics, the only thing I ever had to fix/replace was the alternator on the '02. Other than that, the only money I spent on either was for regular maintenance. They are GREAT cars!

My whole family has had pretty much nothing but Hondas and Toyotas for years. My dad has been through at least 5 Camrys and now has an Avalon. My step-mom is on her 3rd Honda Accord, and my sister is on her 2nd Accord. And my mom has a 2006 Corolla. Of all those cars, none of them have ever had any major problems or needed any repairs other than regular maintenance.

Good luck with your car search! :thumbsup:

LauraF
08-23-2013, 10:49 AM
I'm a big fan of both Subaru and Toyota.

Both are good in the snow belt where we are, but Subaru has a distinct advantage because all their cars have AWD.

Personally, my 2009 Impreza gets 36 MPG (40, if I don't drive like a fiend :thedolls: ), and I drive 150 miles roundtrip to work every day. It's a blessing in bad weather! My mechanic told me he hates them because they last forever. :D

I've been very pleased with Subies, because when you put 50K+ miles annually on a car like me, it better last!

minnie04
08-23-2013, 10:58 AM
I know you said you’re not working full time, but I would look into leasing a car. We did that for my DD and it has worked out great. We went with Nissan they have a really good leasing program and this way you are not paying an arm and leg and the car is new with warranty. We paid $239 (Sentra fully loaded) a month for 3 years zero down and just traded up to the Altima for a little more. Also at the end of the lease if you’re working full time (or not) you can buy it out if you want to keep it. ALL the dealers will work with you TRUST ME they want to move cars. I really only say this because of the warranty. If something happens they cover it.. Much cheaper then out of pocket. Good luck and really shop around there are some really good incentives out there. And if you have money to put down. the payment should go down as well.

PirateLover
08-23-2013, 11:59 AM
While we can give you anecdotal examples, you'd be better off checking the JD Power, Consumer Reports and KBB lists of most reliable used cars. Just because username 'DisneyFanXY123' has a particular car and has been happy with it doesn't mean that car has a good reliability ranking overall.

We can't post links obviously, but google 'most reliable used cars' and rely on the data of hundreds of thousands of purchasers rather than the few responses we can give. :thumbsup:
Oh, of course! Thank you, though. I do like to hear anecdotes and I know a lot is personal preference. Routine maintenance is fine, I would expect that within a few years I'd need to replace tires, brake pads etc. I will certainly do a lot of research but I wanted to have a narrowed down list to investigate.

I don't want to buy new or lease because we are trying to save money and I can't afford to potentially fall behind on bills if a full time job doesn't roll around soon. I have a certain amount that I can spend and that's it. With a newer car, insurance also goes up, and if I add car payments to it I will have little money leftover. I'd rather pay outright for something a few years old, but still reliable, and still have some extra spending cash to go to the movies or a restaurant every now and then and not have to worry about car payments. ETA: I do realize that leasing would just be spreading the cost out over time, but since I was given $$ for this specific purpose I'd prefer to flat out buy and own and be done with it.

Thank you all for your input. I've been hearing a lot of good things about Suburu... I know a few people who swear by them, and just looking around at what's currently available in my area there are some good ones within my price range. My neighbor just got a Honda CR-V and loves it, so I'm looking into those as well.

buzznwoodysmom
08-23-2013, 12:08 PM
My first 3 cars were all Hondas. One Honda Civic, then two Honda Accords. I still believe those Accords were some of the best cars ever!

Once I had kids I wanted a larger SUV and didn't like what Honda had to offer so I got a Ford Expedition. When I totaled it last summer (on the way home from Disney) it had around 190,000 miles and I had zero issues with it on a long 12 hour drive. It was a 1999, so it was what....13 years old! DH had a Ford Explorer when we met. He kept it till it had around 200,000 miles on it. I know Ford often gets a bad reputation, but our Fords have lasted us for the long haul. My MIL has always had Fords also, Explorer, Escape, and now an Echo, I think. She's had no issues with any of them, and recently sold her Escape to one of her sons for his wife to use and it's still going strong.

Belle of the Ball 051411
08-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Get a Honda!

SBETigg
08-23-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm another Nissan fan. My son drives my husband's old Altima (a 2009) and I have a 2011 Rogue. Both have been very reliable and, key for me, comfortable. I don't find Hondas comfortable. When we were test driving, the Honda seat felt like a cement block by comparison to the Nissan. Plus, the Nissan backseat feels pretty roomy. But that can strike different people differently, so I would advise test driving lots of cars to find what feels good for you.

BigB
08-23-2013, 12:40 PM
First, all used cars will have their issues. The biggest thing to remember about them is they are only as good as the previous owner(s). Meaning if they took good care of it, it will last. For example, I bought a 2003 Jeep Liberty and have figured out that it was the "wife's car" because the lack of basic maintenance for its age, rust and bulbs should have been addressed and am I'm having other issues. Any who, I also have a 2003 Hyundai Elantra and absolutely love the car. I would recommend buying one. You can get a newer one for less than most of the other Honda and Toyotas because they don't have the resale value. But they are wonderful vehicles. I get around town average of 25 mpg and get about 35 mpgs on highway.

I'm not a fan of Toyota but will recommend Nissan. My DG has as 2009 and it still runs great. Small SUVs will have about the same amount of personal space but will lack the trunk size of a typical sedan. Gas mileage will depend of engine size and type. If you want good gas mileage stick to four cylinders, 2.0 liter is normal size. I am not a fan of four cylinder SUVs. They lack the power to get out of their own way.

You said that you want to be able to fit a future family in it. How soon is the future? As a rule of thumb purchase for your current needs and not for the unforeseeable future. Why buy an SUV to tow a boat if you don't have a boat or more pertinent why buy a seven person minivan if its just you (just an example).

Depending on your financials buy as new as you can afford. Star with cars that are around 3-4 years old, most should have factory warranty still. Buy from a reputable dealer, may cost you slightly more but you have a better chance of getting a better product. If you can, try certified used or at least buy a used car from the makers lot. I.E. Hyundai from Hyundai dealer Hope this helps!!

Mfarquar
08-23-2013, 12:55 PM
For example, I bought a 2003 Jeep Liberty and have figured out that it was the "wife's car" because the lack of basic maintenance for its age, rust and bulbs should have been addressed and am I'm having other issues.

:down:

For the record, I'm a female and a wife and have always had impeccable maintenance, inspection, etc. records on all of my cars - pre and post-marriage. This is the same industry attitude many females receive when shopping for a car - as if they do not know what they are doing or do not properly care for/are informed about autos. Ladies out there - watch out for this when shopping for a new or used car!

DizneyRox
08-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Surprise surprise! Mostly imports...

Subaru would be my pick. I liked my Honda, love my Subaru. Friend just traded theirs in, had 180,000 miles in it, they were warned it probably only had about 50,000 left...

Mfarquar
08-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Surprise surprise! Mostly imports...

Subaru would be my pick. I liked my Honda, love my Subaru. Friend just traded theirs in, had 180,000 miles in it, they were warned it probably only had about 50,000 left...

On the bright side, a lot of Subarus are assembled in America - both of my Legacy cars were 100% assembled in Indiana. Makes me feel a little better about my import :)

garymacd
08-23-2013, 01:57 PM
I still love my big ol' Chrysler! I have never had a major problems with any of them over the years, other than maintenance problems with a car reaching its end of life, as you are experiencing now.

I would caution you away from some private ads. You never know the real background of the car. Some people claiming to be the original owner are actually "curb siding". They sit in front of houses as if they live there. You get no warranty from them and you really have no idea of the vehicle's history and maintenance.

Get a CarFax report on the car before you sign.

I would actually suggest going to a reputable new car dealer - whichever maker you choose - and look at their used vehicles. Many of those cars are originally purchased from their lots and now their owners have come back and traded them in. They wont sell junk. They have too much riding on their reputation, and you can get a used car warranty from them.

BigB
08-23-2013, 08:44 PM

For the record, I'm a female and a wife and have always had impeccable maintenance, inspection, etc. records on all of my cars - pre and post-marriage. This is the same industry attitude many females receive when shopping for a car - as if they do not know what they are doing or do not properly care for/are informed about autos. Ladies out there - watch out for this when shopping for a new or used car!

For the record I was not being sexist. A "wife's car" is a vehicle that has very little extra maintenance done to it. Only fix what is broke due to neglect or lack of communication of problems. It can also be the third vehicle in the family that no one really drives. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Melanie
08-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Once I had kids I wanted a larger SUV and didn't like what Honda had to offer so I got a Ford Expedition. When I totaled it last summer (on the way home from Disney) it had around 190,000 miles and I had zero issues with it on a long 12 hour drive. It was a 1999, so it was what....13 years old! DH had a Ford Explorer when we met. He kept it till it had around 200,000 miles on it. I know Ford often gets a bad reputation, but our Fords have lasted us for the long haul. My MIL has always had Fords also, Explorer, Escape, and now an Echo, I think. She's had no issues with any of them, and recently sold her Escape to one of her sons for his wife to use and it's still going strong.

My entire family, it seems, is a Ford family. It's all I've ever driven, with the exception of when we were in Japan and pretty much had no choice but to drive a Toyota.

Ford has been smelling like roses the past few years when all these other brands are either folding or requiring government assistance. I just hit 79K miles on mine, and plan to drive it for many miles to come.

Maryanne, sorry you are having issues with your Taurus. It's true, you never know how a previous owner cared for it.

Opus X
08-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Honda, Toyota or Subaru.
Top three choices by far. The Japanese nameplates just are simply better cars.
And, Alot of the above mentioned models are assembled right here in the USA!
All three make cars here.

PirateLover
08-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks again for all the input. My family has always had a Buick or Ford/Mercury. My first car was a 99 Ford Focus that I had for 2 weeks before the car malfunctioned, steering wheel locked, and I hit a tree (luckily only at about 5mph). It was totaled. I was not held accountable for the accident. Second car was a 94 Taurus which I actually LOVED but my mom got rear-ended in it when someone skidded out during an ice storm. Again, totaled. At one point we had my 2000 Taurus, and a 1999 and 2000 Mercury Sable in the family (Sable is basically the same car). They have all had lots of problems. Must've been a bad few years.

Ian
08-24-2013, 11:02 AM
How much are you looking to spend Maryanne?

Actually hit me up on FB, because I'll probably forget to check back in here!

Mfarquar
08-24-2013, 04:14 PM
For the record I was not being sexist. A "wife's car" is a vehicle that has very little extra maintenance done to it. Only fix what is broke due to neglect or lack of communication of problems. It can also be the third vehicle in the family that no one really drives. Sorry if I offended anyone.

I understand what it means. Just because it's a term people use, doesn't mean it doesn't have a less than stellar connotation behind it. Thanks.

Opus X
08-24-2013, 04:38 PM

All the girls in my life...need introduced the the oil dipstick. My wife didnt even know where it was untill we met...same with her mom.:secret:
I think engines and ladies go together as much a pampered chef and boys.:thumbsup:
Its funny though. While in the Military my supervisor was a female. She could assemble aany weapon you could show her faster than I could un assemble it. So you just never know!!

Opus X
08-24-2013, 04:44 PM
On the bright side, a lot of Subarus are assembled in America - both of my Legacy cars were 100% assembled in Indiana. Makes me feel a little better about my import :)
thats true, my Forester (2012) is 100% Japanese.
But, the Outback and Legacy are USA made in Indiana.

Mfarquar
08-24-2013, 11:41 PM
All the girls in my life...need introduced the the oil dipstick. My wife didnt even know where it was untill we met...same with her mom.:secret:
I think engines and ladies go together as much a pampered chef and boys.:thumbsup:
Its funny though. While in the Military my supervisor was a female. She could assemble aany weapon you could show her faster than I could un assemble it. So you just never know!!

Many of us "modern day ladies" like to be self-sufficient, well-informed and independent. By high school, I self taught myself to change tires, check oil and know the ins and outs of my cars. If necessary, I can also do so in 6 inch heels and a business suit without getting dirty at 6am.

I have successfully done all the research for my cars, from safety to what is a good purchase price. I can change a tire faster than my father and always can get a better % off the sticker price than he can.

All of the women I know are capable of checking oil, reading the manual included with their car, pumping their own gas, and MOST IMPORTANTLY following the maintenance instructions that come with their vehicle. Contrary to what some men apparently think, caring for a car and doing basic maintenance is not very difficult or something that requires a Y chromosome.

If you buy something that costs quite a bit of money that can be a lethal weapon, you better know the basics - and most women are responsible enough to handle this.

Let's stay away from gross generalizations and terminology that passively suggests that women as a whole are either neglectful, incapable or uninformed regarding vehicles.

Mfarquar
08-24-2013, 11:46 PM
thats true, my Forester (2012) is 100% Japanese.
But, the Outback and Legacy are USA made in Indiana.

Yes, very true. My husbands STI is 100% from Japan. When he had to replaced a cracked windshield we had to wait quite a bit of time because it had to come from Japan and they had just had the nuclear leak as a result of the tsunami. The windshield had to go through a lot of custom holds and checks. Thankfully, it passed through without any indication of contamination! :D

Hammer
08-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Many of us "modern day ladies" like to be self-sufficient, well-informed and independent. By high school, I self taught myself to change tires, check oil and know the ins and outs of my cars. If necessary, I can also do so in 6 inch heels and a business suit without getting dirty at 6am.

I have successfully done all the research for my cars, from safety to what is a good purchase price. I can change a tire faster than my father and always can get a better % off the sticker price than he can.

All of the women I know are capable of checking oil, reading the manual included with their car, pumping their own gas, and MOST IMPORTANTLY following the maintenance instructions that come with their vehicle. Contrary to what some men apparently think, caring for a car and doing basic maintenance is not very difficult or something that requires a Y chromosome.

If you buy something that costs quite a bit of money that can be a lethal weapon, you better know the basics - and most women are responsible enough to handle this.

Let's stay away from gross generalizations and terminology that passively suggests that women as a whole are either neglectful, incapable or uninformed regarding vehicles.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Well said!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My father made sure I knew how to do my research and negotiate for myself when it came to any large purchase, be it a car or a home. He and Mom taught me to not let myself be bullied by a sales person and to know how to walk away.

Cinderelley
08-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Many of us "modern day ladies" like to be self-sufficient. . .

Well, I consider myself modern and self sufficient. I'm a single mom and a registered nurse. I couldn't tell you one thing about my car. I take care of people's bodies. My mechanic takes care of my car. ;) Sure, I could learn, but I have more important things to do with my time.

I didn't perceive it as passively suggesting that women are neglectful, incapable or uninformed. I read it as just another old saying like "shade tree mechanic".

To the OP, thanks for posting this. I'm in a similar situation and was just discussing options with my friends. I hope you find what you like.

Mfarquar
08-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Well, I consider myself modern and self sufficient. I'm a single mom and a registered nurse. I couldn't tell you one thing about my car. I take care of people's bodies. My mechanic takes care of my car.

I didn't perceive it as passively suggesting that women are neglectful, incapable or uninformed. I read it as just another old saying like "shade tree mechanic".

There are a lot of old sayings that passively suggest one group as the lesser. It's not a very common term and I've heard it less and less over the years. This often leads to generalizations such as the earlier one that clearly admits that a "wife's car" is simply not well-taken care of by the owner, creating a buyer beware situation. Imagine how an ethnic group would feel if their label was thrown in there instead of "wife's". Just because something is subtle, doesn't mean it doesn't have a negative context.

As a side note, if you bring your car to a mechanic when necessary, you do not fit into this "wife's car" phraseology. This has nothing to do with knowing how to completely fix your car yourself. Rather, it has to do with defending the idea that women are responsible car owners. By going to a mechanic, you are caring for your car. If you're referring to these trips for regular, necessary maintenance like oil changes you have proven my point that the gender is capable of taking care of such matters.

Cinderelley
08-26-2013, 08:10 PM
There are a lot of old sayings that passively suggest one group as the lesser. It's not a very common term and I've heard it less and less over the years. This often leads to generalizations such as the earlier one that clearly admits that a "wife's car" is simply not well-taken care of by the owner, creating a buyer beware situation. Imagine how an ethnic group would feel if their label was thrown in there instead of "wife's". Just because something is subtle, doesn't mean it doesn't have a negative context.

As a side note, if you bring your car to a mechanic when necessary, you do not fit into this "wife's car" phraseology. This has nothing to do with knowing how to completely fix your car yourself. Rather, it has to do with defending the idea that women are responsible car owners. By going to a mechanic, you are caring for your car. If you're referring to these trips for regular, necessary maintenance like oil changes you have proven my point that the gender is capable of taking care of such matters.

Actually, I took it as the husband neglected the wife's car, since he didn't drive it, not that she neglected it. Either way, I didn't feel it was derogatory. Then again, I don't give much credence to stereotypes and rarely pay attention to that kind of stuff anyway. One can say all of the politically correct terms in such a way that it still carries disdain for whomever you want to talk down to or you can say things that aren't considered politically correct and not mean anything by them.

I think I really shook my head and gave up on it when government officials were no longer allowed to "brown bag" their lunch.