PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Disney candy apples

IloveJack
08-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Anyone ever eaten one of the candy apples at DTD that are made to look like the characters? My ODD wants a Monsters U party for her birthday, and I'm thinking about making the Mike and Sully apples that I've seen at DTD. (Google to see pics). However, I'm uncertain what to attach the sprinkles to, so that they stick to the apple. Anyone know for sure?

cer
08-20-2013, 05:03 PM
I am not 100% sure, but I did watch them making the candy apples once and I think they went into caramel first and then white chocolate and then the sparkly sugar.

Call them- It would be fun to visit with the candy makers. :mickey:

Is someone going soon who could find out?

:sulley:

cer
08-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Another idea, maybe search youtube videos surely someone out there has made a video of this....

BrerGnat
08-20-2013, 06:54 PM
They were making these at the Main Street Confectionery last week. They actually have vats of colored white chocolate. Apples have to be cleaned with vinegar first to remove any wax then dried well. Next, caramel and let set. Then, white chocolate coating followed by colored sugar. These are quite a lot of effort to do at home. I'd recommend themed cupcakes instead. MUCH easier!

IloveJack
08-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Another idea, maybe search youtube videos surely someone out there has made a video of this....

Thanks for the idea! I didn't find how to make the Monsters, but I did find Mickey, and I can improvise the rest. By the way, it is caramel, then white chocolate, then sprinkles.

Arielfan98
08-21-2013, 09:57 PM
I just returned from the World today and I tried the Cheshire Cat candy apple on the plane ride home. It was a green apple dipped in caramel then layered in white chocolate which was seasoned with purple and pink sprinkles. The ears were made with marshmallow. In my opinion the apple was way too sweet :sick: I really could not bite into the sour apple because the layers of white chocolate and caramel were too thick. It just tasted....not so magical. My family concurs with my opinion as well. I think the character candy apples are best left on display and not in our mouths. You're better off making Mike and Sully cupcakes.

cer
08-22-2013, 11:04 AM
In my opinion the apple was way too sweet :sick: I really could not bite into the sour apple because the layers of white chocolate and caramel were too thick. It just tasted....not so magical. My family concurs with my opinion as well. I think the character candy apples are best left on display and not in our mouths. You're better off making Mike and Sully cupcakes.

Hey OP, just for a second opinion, my son and I really enjoyed the one we had in June. It would have been too much for one of us to eat alone, but it was really good!

Let us know how they turn out if you decide to make them! They are super cute! :thumbsup:

Dulcee
08-22-2013, 12:52 PM
A fair bit less expensive and in my opinion easier to work with are candy melts. They're sold in any craft store and come in a multitude of colors.

They also handle heating and cooling then heating again easier then chocolate. Add some shortening when you microwave them to thin it just a bit and you'll end up with a smooth, thin glossy surface that's great for Apple's and easy to attach sprinkles to.

PM if you have questions, I make candies as a side job :)

cer
08-22-2013, 12:55 PM
I make candies as a side job :)

Nice. :thumbsup:

IloveJack
08-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Hey OP, just for a second opinion, my son and I really enjoyed the one we had in June. It would have been too much for one of us to eat alone, but it was really good!

Let us know how they turn out if you decide to make them! They are super cute! :thumbsup:

A fair bit less expensive and in my opinion easier to work with are candy melts. They're sold in any craft store and come in a multitude of colors.

They also handle heating and cooling then heating again easier then chocolate. Add some shortening when you microwave them to thin it just a bit and you'll end up with a smooth, thin glossy surface that's great for Apple's and easy to attach sprinkles to.

PM if you have questions, I make candies as a side job :)

Thanks to both of you! I'm making them as a send-home party favors, not to eat at the party, so parents can cut them up and serve them as they please. And I'll try the melts. I hate trying to melt chocolate without burning in my temperamental microwave!