PDA

View Full Version : Stay Classy America....NOT!

MichaelMouse
08-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Disney Cruise Line has decided to allow shorts at dinner.....are you kidding me?

This is a new and unusual low coming from such a pricey and classy cruise!

I disagree with DCL's decision on this big time! It's like telling your kids it ok to talk with your mouth full and it's ok to put your elbows on the table!!!

What is wrong with America today???

NO class what so ever.....

People have been wearing shorts regardless but to allow it is just plain Stupid.....where has Americas class went??????:down:

Tekneek
08-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Are they forcing everyone to wear shorts, or just saying it is ok for those who want to?

I'm trying to understand why this is upsetting.

MichaelMouse
08-20-2013, 11:22 AM
No, their not forcing you to wear shorts but it just takes away from the "Class"!

Would you go eat at a fine dining restaurant with shorts on....NO.

It takes away from the little things that are special....dressing up being one of them in a fine dining room.

You want to eat in shorts, go up to the sun deck and have a burger instead of a lobster.

BrerGnat
08-20-2013, 11:31 AM
I was just on a Disney Cruise, before they officially allowed shorts. A lot of people were already wearing shorts, but everyone looked very nice.

The truth is, at least on a 3 night Bahamas cruise, it's a casual atmosphere. It is hot and humid. The dining rooms are also quite warm. If it is acceptable to wear "theme park attire" in WDW Signature Restaurants, I don't see how a cruise is much different. Besides, the actual dining rooms onboard are very casual environments, except maybe for Royal Palace.

I think allowing shorts is a good move. There are plenty of nice shorts out there that can look very dressy paired with a nice shirt. In particular, men and boys can look quite nice in khaki shorts and polo or button down shirts for a fancy dinner. People dress like that all the time in the summer months.

This is one change that I welcome. It was honestly kind of a pain to have to pack pants for my boys and husband on an otherwise "summer clothes" trip. They took up a lot of room and were ONLY worn for dinner each night.

I do like to dress nicely on cruises, and my family will continue to do so regardless of the rules. However, if we cruise in the summer again, I will be happy to not have to bring pants along for my boys and my husband will be glad for the option to wear shorts.

And, finally, just for the record, I don't recall what ANYONE else was wearing in the dining rooms on all three nights of our cruise. I was focused on my family. What the people in the tables around me were wearing, I couldn't care less about.

DVC2004
08-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Last time I was on the Cruise (Feb 2012), most people weren't too dressed for dinner. In fact at Palo where I thought it was required to dress a certain way, almost no one was. My husband brought a jacket and we noticed with the few couples around us the men were dressed pretty casually. Jeans, definitely no jacket. I don't know, just like at the WDW Signature restaurants, they seem to have a dress code but don't seem to enforce it. I recall dining at Jiko several years back. When we made the reservation on the phone, the CM stressed the dress code. I made sure my boys had polo style shirts, etc. While dining, a woman came in a full sweat suit. Another man came in wearing cut off jean shorts, works boots that had dried mud and dirt all over and a tye dye t shirt. Nothing was said it appeared. I really don't care how other people dress, it's more the point that Disney makes a point to tell you this "rule" then everyone just does what they want anyway. Just do away with it I guess.

Tekneek
08-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Would you go eat at a fine dining restaurant with shorts on....NO.

I might, if the dress code and established custom of the restaurant allows it.

BrerGnat
08-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Also, just want to point out that there are a fair number of International travelers on Disney Cruises. Shorts or Capris (even for men) are commonplace in a lot of other countries during summer holidays.

MichaelMouse
08-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Being in the park restaurants is one thing, it's another to be in Citricos, Victoria & Alberts, California Grill.

On a 3 night cruise, I would agree is much more lax and acceptable but on a 7 nighter.....I don't agree.

I will wear what I want regardless but I think once you give the guests the ok to wear shorts, they will then start coming in sloppy.

I've already seen this with my own 2 eyes and shorts was never even approved yet.

The other cruise lines have a standard with this, Disney having more class should not lower that standard....in the end DCL is Disney but this is NO Themepark......

DVC2004
08-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Being in the park restaurants is one thing, it's another to be in Citricos, Victoria & Alberts, California Grill.

On a 3 night cruise, I would agree is much more lax and acceptable but on a 7 nighter.....I don't agree.

I will wear what I want regardless but I think once you give the guests the ok to wear shorts, they will then start coming in sloppy.

I've already seen this with my own 2 eyes and shorts was never even approved yet.

The other cruise lines have a standard with this, Disney having more class should not lower that standard....in the end DCL is Disney but this is NO Themepark......

Jiko isn't at the theme park, it's in AK Lodge and it's upscale like Cali Grill, Citricos. That is my point- they tell us on the phone this is a signature restaurant, dress code enforced and someone comes wearing a sweat suit, another in dirty work boots and torn jean shorts (a man). Cruise as well. I have no idea why they allow people to come in dressed these ways when they clearly state the rules on the phone, website and in the cuise documents.

BrerGnat
08-20-2013, 11:47 AM
I don't know of any other mainstream cruiselines that actually enforce the dress code either. It's not just Disney.

The bottom line is, a rule is no good unless you enforce it. The moment people realize the rule is not enforced, they will break it. The more people break it, the more it becomes the "new rule."

I have always been told "no jeans" in Cruise Line main dining rooms, but have ALWAYS seen people wearing them, dating back to my first cruise on the Norway in 1991.

MichaelMouse
08-20-2013, 11:49 AM
I've been on both the Dream & Fantasy and to be quite honest, the people I was surrounded by was pretty much the same....most were dressed, many were not!

I was disappointed with how people on the Fantasy dressed overall. I'm sorry but Disney doesn't always mean you're in a Themepark. The cruise should be a step up, not down.

For formal night, me and my two boys (ages 5 & 2 at the time) had tuxedos on for formal night.

There's something very special about that. And I wouldn't change it for a minute.

Unfortunately, America doesn't cherish the little things anymore....Class being one.

MichaelMouse
08-20-2013, 11:56 AM
I agree! Unless you enforce it, which they don't! People will test the boundaries.

I guess I just hate to see such a classy cruise give in to lax rules.

I'm aware that you can be very presentable in shorts and a nice shirt.

The problem is most people will not do that. Most will look sloppy as if they just came from the beach.....I hope not.

It then makes the little population of people that get "decked out" look like the "odd balls"

I hope DCL at least enforces the shorts rule to presentable....

VWL Mom
08-20-2013, 11:57 AM
What is wrong with America today???

NO class what so ever.....

I think you answered your own question.

1DisneyNut
08-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Disney really doesn't enforce any rules they make so what difference does it make?

Tekneek
08-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Maybe they can RFID tag the right clothes and only let people in that are wearing them. :mickey:

They seem to only be able to implement that kind of solution, rather than simply having humans enforce anything.

Goofster
08-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Google people of wal mart and go to the official website right before the cruise and everyone on the cruise will look great!

But, seriously, the standard of American dress has drastically come down over the last 30-50 years. Men rarely wear suits to work anymore, etc. It's becoming a bygone era.

joanna71985
08-20-2013, 12:56 PM
I wish DCL hadn't changed the dress code.

AZ Disney
08-20-2013, 02:57 PM
IMO...there are many more important issues to be outraged about in this world. What other people wear to dinner is just not one of them for me. Judging individuals on their "classiness" or America at large by what they wear is not nice.
I simply do not understand how you would allow another persons clothing to negatively affect your dinner or vacation. Live and let live.

MNNHFLTX
08-20-2013, 03:34 PM
This is why I am not a fan of cruises--I really don't like to "dress up" while on vacation. I do that every day to go to work and when I'm on vacation I just want to relax and not have to worry about such things. And, as Natalie mentioned, all those formal clothes (and shoes) take up a lot of room in your luggage. When I have gone on cruises, I was amazed at the travelers coming on board with gigantic suitcases. Nope, that's not for me.

I do understand the tradition behind Formal Nights on cruises, but couldn't there be a compromise? Maybe the earlier seating be casual dress and the later seating dressier? People (like me) who prefer to dress more casually while on holiday can still appreciate good food and good company. And I'm afraid I must take exception to your statement about "class"--it's not about how you look, it's how you act. There are lots of people who either don't have the money or the inclination to dress up but have plenty of class. And there are lots of people who dress to the nines but have no class at all.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-20-2013, 04:29 PM
In Disney other than Victoria and Alberts I can see them being a little relaxed as it is a theme park and a lot of guests don't have time to go back to the room to change before dinner...as long as no bathing suits, bare feet, shirtless or anything like that isn't tolerated.

It wouldn't bother me to be eating at California Grill next to someone in a t-shirt and shorts or t-shirt and jeans as long as they aren't indecent and are clean. For me class isn't about what you're wearing but about how you are acting.

DVC2004
08-20-2013, 04:52 PM
There are lots of people who either don't have the money or the inclination to dress up but have plenty of class. And there are lots of people who dress to the nines but have no class at all.

So true!

DizneyRox
08-21-2013, 08:18 AM
Used to dress up on cruises, not anymore.

Airlines are have become pretty restrictive, so packing has become a chore. There's a difference however in some of the restaurants mentioned and the general dining room on a DCL ship. Maybe Palo and/or Remy, but not the general dining room.

Wore shorts the entire last cruise and I felt overdressed at times. Didn't bother me one bit.

As Captain Barbosa once said, the code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules.

Mendelson
08-21-2013, 01:55 PM
It's just an evolution of society, is it not? I, for one, am happy I don't have to wear a jacket and tie to a picnic, as I would have in 1910, and that women can wear jeans :blush: and not flowing dresses all the time. I'm sure my wife is very glad to not have to wear a corset.

I'm guessing the OP - if he's like most Americans - owns plenty of sneakers and denim. Again, things that men wouldn't have been caught dead in several decades ago (unless you were a basketball player or cowboy, respectively).

While I agree with the basic argument - that people should dress up when the situation calls for it (I often sit, dismayed, in a suit at the symphony beside people in jeans and a t-shirt) - I think the idea that one should dress up for the standard dinner on a cruise is simply ludicrous. Maybe this was once tradition but again, things have evolved away from it. While it's not Denny's, I don't consider the food nor atmosphere at the standard cruise restaurant rotation dining rooms to be fancy enough for me to dress up for (I wore khakis, a polo, and loafers, FWIW).

GMRO
08-21-2013, 03:09 PM
SURE! Agreed...

BUT at least iron your clothes. NO matter what you wear...if it looks like you packed your shirt and shorts in a hip-pack, note that is the "rated G" example, and unpacked them seconds before you came to dinner - shame on you. And if you wear man'dels, sandals, or flip-flops - at least WASH YOUR FEET before you come to dinner in a dining room.

Yea, I said it...but everyone was thinking about it! ;)

DizneyRox
08-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Can't bring an iron on a ship... Fire Hazard! I know, I was scolded by our room steward probably 10 years ago now.

1DisneyNut
08-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Its a vacation on a Disney Cruise ship for crying out loud. Who even brings a suit with them? lol

GMRO
08-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Guess I'd better read the NO GO's for DCL travel.

We've packed our small travel iron for all our past cruises. Only one time where our dress clothes were really a mess, my suit jacket needed touched up since we went to Palo, was so wrinkled in the garment bag that we had our room steward take our stuff to their laundry for pressing. DW dress and my pants and suit was under $7.00 total for pressing. They took them at 1PM and had them back to us the same day by 6PM for our 7PM reservation. Well worth the fee as the small light weight iron would not have touched the wrinkles in my suit jacket.

I know coffee makers are a no-no... My Keurig sits in the car till we dis-embark and hit our land portion of the trip.

THANKS!

BrerGnat
08-21-2013, 04:45 PM
They will literally confiscate a travel iron and hold it until debarkation day. Don't bring an iron.

DVC2004
08-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Its a vacation on a Disney Cruise ship for crying out loud. Who even brings a suit with them? lol

A jacket for men is supposedly required to eat at the adult's only Palo and Remy. Some of the longer cruises have formal nights were a tux or evening gown is encouraged. This is on many cruise lines, not exclusive to Disney.

Sometimes people who prefer not to get this dressy will do room service or other quick options.

Scar
08-22-2013, 02:32 PM
When I was a kid, every, and I mean every man wore a jacket and tie when they stepped on a plane. I've seen a picture of my Great Grandfather wearing a suit on a beach. My Mom says she never saw him in anything but.

Personally, when I eat I'm way too busy eating or interacting with my family/table mates to care or even notice what other people are wearing. I have no problem with this policy, and conversely, if they had a poilcy that said I had to wear a tux, I would bring my tux.

I go to many events thoughout the year where men are expected to wear at minimum jacket and tie. When someone shows up in anything less they stick out like a sore thumb. But on a cruise ship where many are already casual, don't notice one bit... or care.

NJGIRL
08-22-2013, 06:22 PM
I think this is great!!!!! I'll tell you why.....packing! All of those extra cloths that you have to bring that you do NOT need during a Florida vacation. The last Disney Cruise we took was 5 years ago....all of the extra long pants, button shirts, and dress shoes. They were heavy and we had to end up bringing extra luggage. Not only did it cost us more to fly but we were lugging all of those unneeded items for the next 7 days after we got off of the ship.

We are going again this October and I had already decided that the kids and my husband could wear jeans and sneakers to dinner without the change. Now they can really be comfortable in shorts. This is great news for me.

There are so many other cruise lines that are more "dressy", and not geared towards kids. I think it's about time Disney realized that families didn't want to cruise with all the "dressing for dinner" hassle.

hubbyofadisneyholic
08-22-2013, 10:22 PM
If you want to dress up for dinner, be my guest.
It won't bother me a bit.

However, this is just as much my cruise as yours, so if I chose NOT to dress up and the "rules" allow it it shouldn't bother you either.

BrerGnat
08-23-2013, 10:00 AM
A jacket for men is supposedly required to eat at the adult's only Palo and Remy.

Just to clarify, a Jacket is not required at Palo, only Remy. And, if you don't have one, they will make you "borrow" one. They are dead serious about this at Remy.

Palo requires at LEAST a "dress shirt" for men, which, in their eyes, is a shirt with a collar.

lightyearfan
08-23-2013, 03:02 PM
there are so many other cruise lines that are more "dressy", and not geared towards kids. I think it's about time Disney realized that families didn't want to cruise with all the "dressing for dinner" hassle.

here is another misconception but a Disney Cruise is geared towards every member of your family not just kids, me and dw love all the adult only places on the ship, anyway as far as dressing up is concerned if its cruise casual then i see nothing wrong with dress slacks and a polo shirt, on formal night you should be dressed up im sorry but that's why it's called FORMAL NIGHT, on our last cruise 1 family decided to show up in tee shirts and shorts 2 of the GROWN MEN wore tank tops. If you choose not to dress that's your option but c'mon tank tops, back in March me and dw did the 3 day cruise and we didn't want to get dressed up so guess what???? we ate at the quick service resturants, and dressed up only for Palo, this is my :twocents:

Victor

Ian
08-24-2013, 10:55 AM
You can call me classless if you want, but one of the things that keeps me from going on most cruises is the silly dress code they have for dinner.

I don't even wear dress clothes to work, so the last thing I want to do when I go on vacation is strap myself into a suit or khakis or whatever. BAH!

Vacation is for relaxing. I say kudos DCL! :thumbsup:

lightyearfan
08-24-2013, 12:07 PM
You can call me classless if you want, but one of the things that keeps me from going on most cruises is the silly dress code they have for dinner.

I don't even wear dress clothes to work, so the last thing I want to do when I go on vacation is strap myself into a suit or khakis or whatever. BAH!

Vacation is for relaxing. I say kudos DCL! :thumbsup:

I don't wear dress clothes either at work what's wrong with getting dressed up for a classy restaurant? Your missing out if you don't cruise because of not wanting to wear a pair of slacks for dinner you don't want to dress than don't that's why they offer quick service choices

Ian
08-24-2013, 12:42 PM
I don't wear dress clothes either at work what's wrong with getting dressed up for a classy restaurant? Your missing out if you don't cruise because of not wanting to wear a pair of slacks for dinner you don't want to dress than don't that's why they offer quick service choicesJust personal choice. When I'm on vacation I'm strictly a shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops kind of guy.

The only cruise lines I'd ever consider are ones like NCL that has freestyle cruising where there's no strict dress code. Just not something I want to even consider on vacation.

1DisneyNut
08-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Sometimes people who prefer not to get this dressy will do room service or other quick options.

No, we just don't sign up for those cruises. lol
The day will never come where I take a suit with me on vacation.

lightyearfan
08-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Just personal choice. When I'm on vacation I'm strictly a shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops kind of guy.

The only cruise lines I'd ever consider are ones like NCL that has freestyle cruising where there's no strict dress code. Just not something I want to even consider on vacation.

That's fine your entitled ,your choice enjoy

Ian
08-24-2013, 10:41 PM
The day will never come where I take a suit with me on vacation.See I'm not the only one ;)

NJGIRL
08-24-2013, 11:37 PM
here is another misconception but a Disney Cruise is geared towards every member of your family not just kids, me and dw love all the adult only places on the ship, anyway as far as dressing up is concerned if its cruise casual then i see nothing wrong with dress slacks and a polo shirt, on formal night you should be dressed up im sorry but that's why it's called FORMAL NIGHT, on our last cruise 1 family decided to show up in tee shirts and shorts 2 of the GROWN MEN wore tank tops. If you choose not to dress that's your option but c'mon tank tops, back in March me and dw did the 3 day cruise and we didn't want to get dressed up so guess what???? we ate at the quick service resturants, and dressed up only for Palo, this is my :twocents:

Victor

I have been on three Disney cruises already and about to do our fourth so I have no misconceptions about Disney Cruises. I have been on three other cruise lines also. Compared to the other cruise lines, Disney cruises are geared towards kids. There are characters all over the ships, the shows have Disney characters, the general dining rooms are themed with kids in mind, ...I can go on and on. Do they want to attract adults without kids...yes but that is not their main client base.

BrerGnat
08-25-2013, 08:56 AM
I have been on three Disney cruises already and about to do our fourth so I have no misconceptions about Disney Cruises. I have been on three other cruise lines also. Compared to the other cruise lines, Disney cruises are geared towards kids. There are characters all over the ships, the shows have Disney characters, the general dining rooms are themed with kids in mind, ...I can go on and on. Do they want to attract adults without kids...yes but that is not their main client base.

Totally agree with you Rita.

I have sailed RCCL, Princess, and Carnival. DCL is BY FAR very obviously geared towards Families...with KIDS! When 1/3 of the people on board are under 18, as they tend to be on DCL sailings, the cruise line is very obviously marketed to families with kids, unlike probably every other cruise line out there.

Christine
08-25-2013, 09:51 AM
This is such a subjective issue. Even if EVERY person dressed up for dinner, there would still be some men who would have looked better in khaki shorts & a polo, or women in city shorts and a cardigan set. I'm one of them. If you put me in a dress and heels, I look like a 4 year old who's been playing in her mothers closet.

I have seen some folks "dressed up" who look like mob bosses and mob bosses' "girlfriends" :D

I have seen some who look like they just came from the gym.

I personally think that as long as people try to put their best foot forward, good for them. I really am not there to worry about what anyone else is wearing. I'm there to enjoy my family & friends and eat a nice meal. The food goes down just the same whether I'm sitting next to shorts or suits. :mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
08-25-2013, 01:26 PM
This is such a subjective issue. Even if EVERY person dressed up for dinner, there would still be some men who would have looked better in khaki shorts & a polo, or women in city shorts and a cardigan set. I'm one of them. If you put me in a dress and heels, I look like a 4 year old who's been playing in her mothers closet.

I have seen some folks "dressed up" who look like mob bosses and mob bosses' "girlfriends" :D

I have seen some who look like they just came from the gym.

I personally think that as long as people try to put their best foot forward, good for them. I really am not there to worry about what anyone else is wearing. I'm there to enjoy my family & friends and eat a nice meal. The food goes down just the same whether I'm sitting next to shorts or suits. :mickey:

Amen...IMHO "class" is not determined by the clothes on the person, but rather by the person in the clothes.

lightyearfan
08-25-2013, 05:23 PM

i'm sorry but i disagree, Royal Court ? Enchanted Garden? Palo? Remy? these are resturants geared for kids? anyway i know that me and dw are going to have a blast on our DIsney Cruise in September i hope you do as well i'm now done discussing this topic

Victor

jillluvsdisney
08-25-2013, 07:19 PM
It's Disney. If it bothers the OP, perhaps Crystal or Seaborne would be more their type of cruise line.

NJGIRL
08-25-2013, 11:01 PM
i'm sorry but i disagree, Royal Court ? Enchanted Garden? Palo? Remy? these are resturants geared for kids? anyway i know that me and dw are going to have a blast on our DIsney Cruise in September i hope you do as well i'm now done discussing this topic

Victor

The restaurants you mentioned are just a very small portion of what is offered on each Disney ship. The deck parties are centered around Disney characters and you have a Pirate Night dinner. Princess Cruise Line doesn't have Pirate Night. Of course Disney would love to attract as many people as possible, but the adult only offerings, IMO, are more about giving parents the night off than going after people without children.

And thank you, we have always enjoyed our cruises, but will enjoy this one even more now that the dress code has been relaxed.

GMRO
08-26-2013, 11:00 AM
The ol cliché you can take the girl outt'a the streets but ya can't take the streets outt'a the girl comes to mind.

I agree that the clothes on your back does not make instill class...it's the person in the clothes. I've seen fully dressed folks who act “classless” as well as lesser dressed who are true princes or princesses.

And I've noticed that yes SOME can pull it off...that is wear a nice pair of shorts and matching shirt with boat shoes in a more formal atmosphere. Really it’s all dependent on the rules. And if DCL decides to change the rules…hey, I’m fine with that. I don’t pack suits for vacation either. BUT I do follow the guidelines IF a place has a dress code attire. We did when we ate at PALO years ago - packed our fancier clothes. THEN found out that we were not missing anything. Personally we felt that the other restaurants on board the ships, with a no jacket rule, had such GREAT food and service that we didn’t have to repeat a more formal fancy night and HAVE to pack nicer clothes for one dinner. Yes it was a pain to do that. We also dress up for pirate night. Not I a costume but in a set of matching, DW and I, pirate shirts and shorts to match.

BUT next cruise...take a look around - ya I know you’re on vacation. But you'll notice that the folks who have the least manners and the worst behaved kids are the ones pushing the envelope of what may be considered dinner attire for the sit down restaurants. Wrinkled clothes included! Think it was bad before? Well now that the rules have been changed it will open up more interpretation of what can be worn and accepted.

No darling, those over stretched out neon green terry cloth wal-mart short shorts that you have worn for the past 3 years are not acceptable. Nor are your filthy feet Mr. I’ll just throw on my oldest man’dels and go to dinner with a stained "gym" shirt.

You wear what you want... act like you want etc. Yes you paid your way. Too obnoxious and I'll just ask to be moved. We all paid what I would consider “good” money to be on a DCL in the first place. My fun or level of enjoyment will not be compromised.

Personally, my parents raised me better to know how to act, react and dress for where I'm going. I don't wear shorts to funerals as well. BUT I'd bet some would – and make the case hey - IT'S SUMMERTIME.

Great thread… ;)

DVC2004
08-26-2013, 05:13 PM
The day will never come where I take a suit with me on vacation.

No offense, but I don't care either way. LOL. I personally dislike cruises. I won't be going on too many in the future. Too many things I have to schedule my day around- dining times, dress codes, types of excursions I am restricted to because of needing to get back to ship on time. I personally feel cruises are too structured for how I want to vacation.

MNNHFLTX
08-26-2013, 05:23 PM
No offense, but I don't care either way. LOL. I personally dislike cruises. I won't be going on too many in the future. Too many things I have to schedule my day around- dining times, dress codes, types of excursions I am restricted to because of needing to get back to ship on time. I personally feel cruises are too structured for how I want to vacation.
This is exactly how I feel. Probably the only cruise I want to go on is an Alaskan cruise, and of course, I want to go DCL for that. So for that reason I am happy to hear about the dress code changes. :)

minnie04
08-27-2013, 09:39 AM
I say to each his OR her own!! If you like dressing up for dinner "be our guest", but if you like being on vacation casual then also "be our guest" it's like being in the parks. Some people like to dress nice to walk around all day and others throw on casual clothes and have just as much fun. I think it’s about choice and you make yours and I will make mine. I have dressed up on other cruises and couldn't wait to change as soon as dinner was over. It’s just too hot to be all dressed up for an hour. Not to mention a waste of luggage space to bring men’s clothes. I would rather take that burger on the top deck and enjoy the night then be stuffed in dress clothes ON VACATION!!! That’s just me (and mine)
As far as dressing the kids up for dinner. It’s hard enough to get them to want to go eat (too much fun) I would rather they dress in shorts (nice of course) so they can continue the night and not have dress clothes on (pants, ties, formal shoes etc.). It’s a cruise for heaven sake let your hair down and have fun…:mickey:

SurferStitch
08-27-2013, 01:25 PM
I always have, and always will dress up for dinners, either on DCL or at WDW. My mother instilled in me a proper way to dress for different occasions, and I just won't change.

On DCL, at a minimum on regular nights I wear a dress, a skirt/top combo, or at an absolute minimum dressy capris and a very dressy top (always in heels). DH wears khakis and a dress shirt, and sometimes a jacket. On formal nights, it's evening gown and tux. No question.

I don't even wear shorts if we're going out on a Saturday night at home during the summer. I like to dress up. My DH laughs that I won't wear shorts to the mall if we're going at night... it's usually a summer dress or nice jeans and a dressy top (if in colder weather). I'm never seen in flip flops or sneakers outside the house or gym.

I do get annoyed when I've taken the time to look very nice for a signature dinner at WDW or on the DCL, and someone else doesn't make an effort. Yes, dress codes have gotten terribly lax over the years, but that doesn't mean it's okay. There's nothing wrong with taking some pride in yourself and showing it to those around you.

Like Stacy London says on What Not To Wear.... it takes exactly the same amount of effort to put on a dress or nice outfit as it does a tee shirt and shorts. So, why not wear something nice?

But, that's me. Luckily I have a DH who agrees, and willingly dresses very nicely on vacation. So, yes.... I am very sorry to hear that DCL caved in to those who don't want to make an effort. I will continue to wear dresses and evening gowns on the ship and at WDW.

MNNHFLTX
08-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Like Stacy London says on What Not To Wear.... it takes exactly the same amount of effort to put on a dress or nice outfit as it does a tee shirt and shorts. So, why not wear something nice?
I don't watch What Not to Wear, but I totally disagree with this Stacy London. As someone who dresses up for work each day, it definitely does not take exactly the same amount of time to put on a dressy outfit as a t-shirt and shorts. And along with the dressy outfit there must be corresponding accessories and make-up, not to mention dressy shoes (heels--:eek:)

minnie04
08-27-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm not saying throw on a ragged out t shirt and torn shorts, but to some people a nice pair of khaki shorts and a polo is dressy enough for a cruise dinner and the ladies in a maxi dress and sandals always looks nice. I don't have to be in an evening gown and heels to feel dressed up. What you motioned is nice to a nice pair of Capri’s with a nice top and the men in khaki's are perfectly fine for dinner out on a BOAT! Yes it’s nice to really dress up for dinner and dancing when you go out, but on a cruise I think the atmosphere is casual and laid back who wants to have heavy clothes on.. And besides what you pay to be on these cruises I’m sure your aren’t going to be wearing old ragged out clothes to dinner.. At least I hope not :mickey:

SurferStitch
08-27-2013, 05:03 PM
I don't watch What Not to Wear, but I totally disagree with this Stacy London. As someone who dresses up for work each day, it definitely does not take exactly the same amount of time to put on a dressy outfit as a t-shirt and shorts. And along with the dressy outfit there must be corresponding accessories and make-up, not to mention dressy shoes (heels--:eek:)

Soooo.... You don't take time to wear makeup if you aren't dressed up? I sure do.

Well, a dressy top takes the same time to put on as a tee does... Still goes over your head. . A skirt... the same as shorts. A dress.... Even less. And heels?? Quicker than lacing up sneakers!

I always wear makeup... dressed up or casual. Same with accessories... dressy or casual, I always wear jewelry.

As someone else noted... Maxis are so pretty (when styled nicely). I love them, and they are super easy to wear! Again, I buy dressier maxis, and they are perfect for more upscale cruise dining.

MNNHFLTX
08-27-2013, 06:33 PM
Soooo.... You don't take time to wear makeup if you aren't dressed up? I sure do.

Well, a dressy top takes the same time to put on as a tee does... Still goes over your head. . A skirt... the same as shorts. A dress.... Even less. And heels?? Quicker than lacing up sneakers!

I always wear makeup... dressed up or casual. Same with accessories... dressy or casual, I always wear jewelry.
Nope, I don't always wear jewelry or makeup when I'm going casual. I don't feel the need. And I still say that it takes longer to put dressy outfits on, at least for me.

It sounds like you really enjoy getting dressed up; that's great, more power to you. I just don't feel the same way. And on a cruise ship, if someone wants to wear dressy clothes and someone else not as much, why should that annoy anyone? That part I just don't understand. :shrug:

GoldenDreams
08-28-2013, 12:00 AM
I was just on a Disney Cruise, before they officially allowed shorts. A lot of people were already wearing shorts, but everyone looked very nice.

The truth is, at least on a 3 night Bahamas cruise, it's a casual atmosphere. It is hot and humid. The dining rooms are also quite warm. If it is acceptable to wear "theme park attire" in WDW Signature Restaurants, I don't see how a cruise is much different. Besides, the actual dining rooms onboard are very casual environments, except maybe for Royal Palace.

I think allowing shorts is a good move. There are plenty of nice shorts out there that can look very dressy paired with a nice shirt. In particular, men and boys can look quite nice in khaki shorts and polo or button down shirts for a fancy dinner. People dress like that all the time in the summer months.

This is one change that I welcome. It was honestly kind of a pain to have to pack pants for my boys and husband on an otherwise "summer clothes" trip. They took up a lot of room and were ONLY worn for dinner each night.

I do like to dress nicely on cruises, and my family will continue to do so regardless of the rules. However, if we cruise in the summer again, I will be happy to not have to bring pants along for my boys and my husband will be glad for the option to wear shorts.

And, finally, just for the record, I don't recall what ANYONE else was wearing in the dining rooms on all three nights of our cruise. I was focused on my family. What the people in the tables around me were wearing, I couldn't care less about.

I completely agree --- the dress clothes take up too much room which equates to extra stress getting everything through the airport, the terminal, etc. This is going to make a DCL vacation so much more relaxing.

I too never noticed anything people were wearing. Nor do I care.

And I will be glad not to wear heels on polished marble floors on a moving ship!

I am absolutely fine with this new policy.

BrerGnat
08-28-2013, 07:10 AM

As someone else noted... Maxis are so pretty (when styled nicely). I love them, and they are super easy to wear! Again, I buy dressier maxis, and they are perfect for more upscale cruise dining.

Oh boy.

You do realize that not everyone is like this, right? I am basically your polar opposite here, and I promise you, I was brought up "right". In fact, you are very much like my own mother. Unfortunately, I was a tomboy as a child and still am. "Dressing up" is not a matter of effort. It's a matter of comfort, both superficially and more deep down. I agree that the act of wearing nice clothes requires no more effort, but I simply don't feel like myself when I am dressed up, wearing fancy shoes and makeup. Feels like Halloween to me. Every time.

Maybe it's because I don't feel the need to impress others or look a certain way. I am happy with who I am and couldn't care less how others judge my appearance.

I have my own opinions about Maxi dresses, high heels, and wearing makeup all the time. They are not the same as yours.

I am always presentable. My clothes are always clean and in good condition. I take care of my self. I make sure my boys are always clean and have neat hair. My husband is a Marine. He is no stranger to looking well kept. On home and on vacation, you won't notice us for the way we look.

Sure it's nice to dress up for special occasions. In fact, I actually bought and WORE a sundress (gasp!) on our cruise. And every other night, I was in Capris and a "fancy" tee from Loft. With some flip flop style leather sandals. And just enough makeup to cover up my blemishes. ;)

Basically, you wear what makes you comfortable and I'll do the same. I follow dress codes as they are presented to me. If the dress code is Formal, you can be sure I will be in one of the many ball gowns/cocktail dresses that I own. And yes, people like me do own these things. ;)

SurferStitch
08-28-2013, 08:17 AM
I wasn't putting anyone down. I simply stated that dressing up a little isn't difficult. I feel it does show respect for yourself and others in the right environments. A pretty maxi from Soma is like wearing pj's, and is probably the most comfortable attire I own! And, it looks dressy!

I still feel the OP is absolutely right, and there's no shame whatsoever in that. Dress codes have degraded.

And, I don't take the effort of dressing up or wearing makeup to impress people. I do it out of respect for myself. I'm a confident gal, and it shows in the way I present myself. Why wouldn't I want to look my best when I'm out?

But, to each his own. Tee and shorts, or heels and a cute dress... We'll all get to eat at Disney! Nobody gets turned away.

1DisneyNut
08-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Everyone does realize Disney is relaxing the dress code merely for profit reasons just like they do everything else don't you? The upscale restaurants probably weren't turning a good profit.

I am sure they did some market research and discovered that people were avoiding the upscale restaurants due to the dress code. They were probably fielding complaints from some guests who actually adhered to the dress code about those who were being allowed in even though they were not dressed accordingly.

Simple solution to solve both problems.....relax the dress code. It isn't like they were enforcing it anyway so now they don't have to deal with the whiners.

MarkC
08-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Not sure how to address this thread. Everyone is different.

I will say things change over the years in society. Long hair was unthinkable in the 50's. Now you see long hair, pink hair, etc.

People would have never lived together outside of marriage years ago. Now it's common.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. Things change. 80 years ago the only people who cruised or took vacations on a plane were filthy rich. But they were dressed formally at all times. I wouldn't want to do that anytime.

Bottom line-- society never stands still. Some people like the changes and some people don't. It's always been that way and always will.

Personally, I'm on vacation and I would rather not dress up. I'll wear nice shorts and decent shirts but I wear suits when I visit clients or go to church, and that's enough for me.

lightyearfan
08-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Everyone does realize Disney is relaxing the dress code merely for profit reasons just like they do everything else don't you? The upscale restaurants probably weren't turning a good profit.

I am sure they did some market research and discovered that people were avoiding the upscale restaurants due to the dress code. They were probably fielding complaints from some guests who actually adhered to the dress code about those who were being allowed in even though they were not dressed accordingly.

Simple solution to solve both problems.....relax the dress code. It isn't like they were enforcing it anyway so now they don't have to deal with the whiners.

i wasn't going to comment on this topic anymore after my last post, but i just have too how is this a profit thing? the price for the cruise is paid up front and varies on price depending on room choice, date, and transfers so how is making people go to the 3 themed resturants profit driven? if your talking tips that's for the wait staff and you get charged tip irreagardless if you go or don't and ya you can change it and make up your own mind for a tip but again that's a tip so i ask how is this profit driven? i said b4 in a previous post if you wanna dress up do so if not don't but on FORMAL night dress up don't go in tee shirts and shorts as a few tables did on our last cruise, or go to the great quick service they offer. now this is my final post on this topic

Victor

P.S. A Septmeber cruise is coming and me and dw can't wait

1DisneyNut
08-28-2013, 12:18 PM
i wasn't going to comment on this topic anymore after my last post, but i just have too how is this a profit thing? the price for the cruise is paid up front and varies on price depending on room choice, date, and transfers so how is making people go to the 3 themed resturants profit driven? if your talking tips that's for the wait staff and you get charged tip irreagardless if you go or don't and ya you can change it and make up your own mind for a tip but again that's a tip so i ask how is this profit driven? i said b4 in a previous post if you wanna dress up do so if not don't but on FORMAL night dress up don't go in tee shirts and shorts as a few tables did on our last cruise, or go to the great quick service they offer. now this is my final post on this topic

Victor

P.S. A Septmeber cruise is coming and me and dw can't wait

Simple, if you have a restaurant that isn't being sufficiently utilized; you are still paying staff and overhead and thus losing profit. Also, the other restaurants could benefit from not being overwhelmed so much during peak hours which would improve guest satisfaction. Additionally, I would assume there is an upcharge of some sort for the upscale dining versus the other dining options so they would like to herd as many people as possible through the higher priced restaurants to make more profit.

Hammer
08-28-2013, 01:23 PM

Except the relaxed dress code applies to only the main dining rooms. The upscale specialty restaurants (Palo and Remy) have a stricter dress code (see Natalie's post quoted below).

Just to clarify, a Jacket is not required at Palo, only Remy. And, if you don't have one, they will make you "borrow" one. They are dead serious about this at Remy.

Palo requires at LEAST a "dress shirt" for men, which, in their eyes, is a shirt with a collar.

lightyearfan
08-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Simple, if you have a restaurant that isn't being sufficiently utilized; you are still paying staff and overhead and thus losing profit. Also, the other restaurants could benefit from not being overwhelmed so much during peak hours which would improve guest satisfaction. Additionally, I would assume there is an upcharge of some sort for the upscale dining versus the other dining options so they would like to herd as many people as possible through the higher priced restaurants to make more profit.

boy your making eat my words here on being a last post lol, have you been on a Disney Cruise? dinners are situated in 2 seating's over 3 restaurant's, and again this is included in price when you pay for the cruise, the upscale restaurant's s that you mention are Palo and Remy and yes Palo is $20 per person and Remy $75 but these are adult only restaurant's and are done only if you decide to do them. in other words were not paying to eat at Animators Pallete , Enchanted Garden or Royal Court, these are included in the price that's where were paying. Believe me Disney isn't losing any profits here i believe that DCL did over $12 million in profits last year.

Victor

Hammer
08-28-2013, 03:27 PM
I understand why they relaxed the code, though I’m not crazy about it. I’m sure that the people posting here who like this change will have you and your kids dressed in nice shorts that are neat and the appropriate length. Sadly, there will probably be many more that will not and they or their kids will wear shorts that are too short or have writing across the backside, as well as inappropriate t-shirts.
This is why I would love for the dress code to be enforced or more clearly defined at signature restaurants at WDW. We eat most of our dinners at signature or resort restaurants (non-buffet) at WDW and the way some people dress is awful. Even if you are coming in from one of the parks, how hard is it for you to take 5 minutes and look over your clothes in a restroom to make sure you and/or your clothes are neat, clean and fit correctly? I think that having people who look as I just described in a nice restaurant or dining room do take something away from the dining experience. This is my fear with the new dress code for DCL.

minnie04
08-29-2013, 03:05 PM
I think in any setting you have 3 types of people

1) ABSOLUTLY MUST DRESS FOR EVERYTHING
2) WILL DRESS IS ASKED TO
3) COULD CARELESS

1 is always going to be dressed to the 9's were ever they go.
2 are only going to dress up if there is a need or written policy.
3 are always going to show up in whatever they "feel" like wearing and not care what the rule or code is

I say this is never going to 100% change. So ya know what don't stress your night or event worrying about what other people look like. To some the way they dress up is the right way according to their life style.:D

Just remember everyone's money is green and their credit cards plastic, so if they have that then they can be in whatever environments they choose and enjoy their meal just like the rest of us. Even in shorts and a t-shirt.

NJGIRL
08-29-2013, 05:53 PM
It isn't like they were enforcing it anyway so now they don't have to deal with the whiners.

I agree with you. We had always followed the dress code and saw others didn't. That along with the problem of over packing and paying for airline baggage, I was going to let everyone wear sneakers and jeans this time. So glad it was relaxed.

One Note.....I can't find the relaxed dress code on the DCL web site. Is this a fact or a rumor?

NJGIRL
08-29-2013, 06:08 PM
boy your making eat my words here on being a last post lol, have you been on a Disney Cruise? dinners are situated in 2 seating's over 3 restaurant's, and again this is included in price when you pay for the cruise, the upscale restaurant's s that you mention are Palo and Remy and yes Palo is $20 per person and Remy $75 but these are adult only restaurant's and are done only if you decide to do them. in other words were not paying to eat at Animators Pallete , Enchanted Garden or Royal Court, these are included in the price that's where were paying. Believe me Disney isn't losing any profits here i believe that DCL did over $12 million in profits last year.

Victor

A lot of people I know refuse to cruise, especially with kids, because they don't want to dress up for dinner, so I do think Disney maybe doing this to up their profits....Plus it was not possible to enforce. Were they going to turn away families for dinner for having shorts on. :thumbsup:

Hammer
08-30-2013, 12:47 AM
A lot of people I know refuse to cruise, especially with kids, because they don't want to dress up for dinner, so I do think Disney maybe doing this to up their profits....Plus it was not possible to enforce. Were they going to turn away families for dinner for having shorts on. :thumbsup:

I wish they would if the shorts are not appropriate for a dining room. As I said this is my issue with the rumored change. I want the rules to clearly define what sort of shorts are appropriate, because sadly there are people in this world who do not understand that. As my parents used to tell us, make rules/instructions clear because if you give people an inch, they'll take a mile.

lightyearfan
08-30-2013, 09:38 AM

(Edit by mod) It doesn't matter if you go to the restaurants or stay in your stateroom Disney Cruise Line has already profited when you paid for your cruise. The extra profit comes from the specialty drinks/alcohol and excursions that you purchase. your not paying your server at the end of the meal as you would if you went Applebees's. :thumbsup::D:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
08-30-2013, 10:38 AM
(Edit by mod) It doesn't matter if you go to the restaurants or stay in your stateroom Disney Cruise Line has already profited when you paid for your cruise. The extra profit comes from the specialty drinks/alcohol and excursions that you purchase. your not paying your server at the end of the meal as you would if you went Applebees's. :thumbsup::D:mickey:

I don't think there's any reason to be rude. As far as profits--yes, you pay for the cruise up front, but there may be a fair number of people (like me) who would not book a cruise, knowing that a dress code required them to "dress up' to go to dinner. However, with a more relaxed dress code, I might be more inclined to book that cruise and increase Disney's profits. Even if they made $12 million in revenue last year, when has that ever stopped Disney from wanting more???

lightyearfan
08-30-2013, 11:33 AM
I don't think there's any reason to be rude. As far as profits--yes, you pay for the cruise up front, but there may be a fair number of people (like me) who would not book a cruise, knowing that a dress code required them to "dress up' to go to dinner. However, with a more relaxed dress code, I might be more inclined to book that cruise and increase Disney's profits. Even if they made $12 million in revenue last year, when has that ever stopped Disney from wanting more???

1st off i wasn't being rude this has been my 3rd attempt to explain that dinner and dress codes has nothing to do with profits, and the poster keeps trying to say that it's because of dinner. now as far as not booking a cruise because of a dress codes is silly to me (IMHO) and as far as i know Disney Cruises are usuallly pretty full ,have you done a Disney Cruise? as i stated in previous posts Disney isn't holding a gun to anyone's head saying you eat at this restaurant or else, last March me and dw did a short 3 day cruise and we didn't want to get dressed up for dinner so guess what?? we did the next best thing, we ate at the quick service instead and had the whole ocean to look at as well. i know i know no need to be rude right? i guess trying to make a point is considered rude? cruising is terrific and a Disney Cruise is beyond terrific, you should give it a try.

Victor:thumbsup::mickey::confused:

MNNHFLTX
08-30-2013, 12:08 PM
1st off i wasn't being rude this has been my 3rd attempt to explain that dinner and dress codes has nothing to do with profits, and the poster keeps trying to say that it's because of dinner. now as far as not booking a cruise because of a dress codes is silly to me (IMHO) and as far as i know Disney Cruises are usuallly pretty full ,have you done a Disney Cruise? as i stated in previous posts Disney isn't holding a gun to anyone's head saying you eat at this restaurant or else, last March me and dw did a short 3 day cruise and we didn't want to get dressed up for dinner so guess what?? we did the next best thing, we ate at the quick service instead and had the whole ocean to look at as well. i know i know no need to be rude right? i guess trying to make a point to people who have no concept on how cruises work is considered rudeWhat I was referring to was the tone of your opening statement and then following it up with another remark in all caps. It's fine to make a point, but isn't it possible to respect other posters' points of view too?

I don't think having been on a Disney cruise per se is a requirement to have an opinion or even working knowledge about them. Most cruise companies operate in a similar fashion, as far dining options, dress code, etc. And I guarantee you, if Disney thinks they can expand their market (as in attract more casual cruisers) and build more ships and make more money, then that's exactly what they're going to do.

You're certainly entitled to your feelings about the new dress code (if it does exist--it sounds like there is some doubt). There are other cruise lines out there who adhere to a stricter dress code; that's might be an option for those who feel strongly about the issue.

GMRO
08-30-2013, 01:00 PM
I don't think having been on a Disney cruise per se is a requirement to have an opinion or even working knowledge about them.

Actually that is part of the problem. If you have never been on a DCL ship and experienced it - your opinion is based on what? What you would want? What you would do? Basically you have no clue and are basing your opinion on “here-say”. Working knowledge is like text book smarts...has nothing to do with real world situations or how things actually go down.

I'll stand by Victor on this one.

Far as NOT wanting to take a cruise because of the "dress code"? REALLY! Sorry - I call BS. Yea, that's a PA thing...

If you really want to take the cruise take it. Don't let what you think or claim is holding you back - dress code - hold you back. There are PLENTY of places on board the Disney ships to eat. Many buffets that you can take advantage of... and IF you don't want to sit down in a more formal restaurant, seems most don't that are complaining about the dress code, then call your head server and YES you can have your food from the fancier restaurant delivered RIGHT TO YOUR STATE ROOM and you can sit in your underwear and eat if you want.

So - what's the excuse now? Ya' I'm being sarcastic...

Some want it both ways…I want to eat at the fancier places but I don’t want to obey the rules and use my manners or act civilized. Actually that is what is wrong with America these days. Shame most feel it’s their privilege and absolute right to do as they wish. No – no it’s not. So let’s all take it out on DCL, heck they should have never even thought folks may want to play dress up of sorts and have a nice meal where your every wish is delivered.

NAWWWW – let’me just has my ice cream in my coffee stained shorts and wrinkled shirt with washed out inappropriate logo on the back while I gnaw on my steak…

Christine
08-30-2013, 01:23 PM
:cop: Moderaror Alert!! :cop:

This is clearly a subjective and controversial issue , but let's remember to keep our debate friendly please and abide by INTERCOT'S terms of service.

Thank you! :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
08-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Actually that is part of the problem. If you have never been on a DCL ship and experienced it - your opinion is based on what? What you would want? What you would do? Basically you have no clue and are basing your opinion on “here-say”. Working knowledge is like text book smarts...has nothing to do with real world situations or how things actually go down.

I'll stand by Victor on this one.

Far as NOT wanting to take a cruise because of the "dress code"? REALLY! Sorry - I call **. Yea, that's a PA thing...
Whatever the "thing", what I said is the truth--I truly do not like dressing up while on vacation and that, along with other factors mentioned previously is what keeps me from going on cruises as much as some other people do. On that note, I have been on six cruises in my time, the last being in January of this year. That last cruise just reinforced my feeling that it's not my preferred mode of vacationing. As I said, all major cruise lines operate in a similar manner and have similar policies and DCL is no different. So not totally operating on hearsay. :)

GMRO
08-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Don't misinterpret my meaning...I respect everyones views.

But how many here who have provided an opinion on this somewhat touchy subject have actually cruised on DCL before throwing their thoughts around? Is it more than 1/2? Or less? That is one of my points - what are the strong opinions based on?

Did anyone even take advantage of having your food delivered to your stateroom? Not room service mind you.

Rules are rules. I said it in an earlier post - IF they change them, like the no smoking on the veranda - FINE. Guess we'll see what comes of the dress code. I have no qualms with the rules. I'm all for playing along with whatever DCL decides.

IF more cruise based on a more lax dress code...FINE too. Thus far all our cruises were booked and no upgrades were available. We were told the ship was at capacity each time via the signage posted at the guest relations desk/area. Which tells me that DCL is a money maker and has no issues filling ships.

JUST ENJOY IT!

And I do hope those who didn't want to cruise based on clothes try it. SURE it may not be for everyone - the ship life, I didn't think I'd like it. BUT 1/2 day on our first DCL voyage and I knew we had made a mistake and not booked a longer one.

THANKS!

minnie04
08-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Do you realize you are getting upset over CLOTHES!!! Does it really matter what I wear to eat my DINNER!! Really!! Simmer down its just dinner. If you tell me people in shorts and t-shirts are throwing the food or making a scene then maybe you have a point, BUT this is just about what people wear to eat their dinner. Does it really matter that much? Are you really going to lose sleep over it in your $1,000 plus stateroom? I THINK it should be a "Mind UR Own" code/policy as in mind your own business about what other people are doing on their VACATION!!! If you want to dress up then go for it and have a great time just keep your eyes on your own plate and you will enjoy the meal a lot more then nit picking at what others are wearing.. Man WHAT has this world come to when you can’t sit a table for a meal without someone worrying about your clothes. Pretty sad if you ask me. And yes I have cruised before and dressed up, only to dress back down to comfort after the meal I hope no one lost sleep over it.. :mickey:

GMRO
08-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Nope sorry…

It’s about rules.
Like speed limits.
Like texting while driving.
Like smoking in non-designated areas.
Like driving while under the influence.
The list goes on and on...

ALL matter. It’s a pattern displayed – that is by those who don’t follow rules.

Hope this simple example allows it to be seen in a different light and I am in the boundaries of this boards discussion by-laws.

Nothing personal - only meant as a spirited debate.

It’s not about being right or wrong.

It’s about rules.

minnie04
08-30-2013, 04:43 PM
I get it totally, but my point is who are (you) we (general) to judge or look down on people that don't follow what (you0 we feel is the “norm”. IF someone feels they are dressed appropriately for THEIR own liking. Then why is it your (again general) job to look down on them or call them out on it. if the rule is dress formal and someone shows up in jeans and a shirt WHO are (you) we to say that's not their 'FORMAL" it may not be (yours) or mine, but again to each his/her own.. It’s so not worth stressing over. And I know if it's made such a big deal on here that people actually stress over it..lol

Your examples are more life threatening then a simple t-shirt and jeans. So I don't think you can compare what people wear to dinner on a disney cruise verses Texting and driving Or speeding. unless what they are wearing at the time they are doing it bothers you also.. lol

I guess i'm just not that person that really cares what others do or wear. As long as your having fun then to me it's all good...

NJGIRL
08-30-2013, 08:20 PM

Exactly Beth, I know a lot of people who will not book a cruise because of having to dress up for dinner and it is not a silly reason at all. When you have to dress up everyday for work, there are a lot of people who do not want to do it on vacation. Just because Disney cruises are full, doesn't mean that they don't want to attach more people. If I remember correctly, they have built a few new ships, and want to keep them filled. lol

I'm am not sure why someone is so concerned with what others wear to dinner, now that is silly.

NJGIRL
08-30-2013, 08:26 PM
1st off i wasn't being rude this has been my 3rd attempt to explain that dinner and dress codes has nothing to do with profits, and the poster keeps trying to say that it's because of dinner. :

You do not need to explain the dress code or tipping to me. I have been on 3 going on 4 Disney cruises. I never said profits depend on the dress code, I said some people will not cruise if they have to dress for dinner.....People not cruising does effect profits.

NJGIRL
08-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Nope sorry…

It’s about rules.
Like speed limits.
Like texting while driving.
Like smoking in non-designated areas.
Like driving while under the influence.
The list goes on and on...

ALL matter. It’s a pattern displayed – that is by those who don’t follow rules.

Hope this simple example allows it to be seen in a different light and I am in the boundaries of this boards discussion by-laws.

Nothing personal - only meant as a spirited debate.

It’s not about being right or wrong.

It’s about rules.

Really, you are comparing all of the above dangerous actions to what someone wears to dinner on a cruise. :confused:

SurferStitch
09-03-2013, 01:04 PM
I get it totally, but my point is who are (you) we (general) to judge or look down on people that don't follow what (you0 we feel is the “norm”. IF someone feels they are dressed appropriately for THEIR own liking. Then why is it your (again general) job to look down on them or call them out on it. if the rule is dress formal and someone shows up in jeans and a shirt WHO are (you) we to say that's not their 'FORMAL" it may not be (yours) or mine, but again to each his/her own..

It's not about someone's "idea" or "belief" of what formal or casual is. Just because someone thinks jeans are formal attire (for them) does not make it formal.

It's easy to see what's considered formal, semi-formal, resort casual, casual, etc.... just GOOGLE it!! You won't find style advice that says "Jeans are formal attire if you believe them to be". My company doesn't even consider them good enough for work on a Friday, even though I think dressy jeans and heels are fine for a casual Friday. Doesn't matter what I believe... there's a DRESS CODE that my opinion doesn't get to trump.

I went to a Friday night wedding this summer, and wasn't sure if my knee-length cocktail dress would suffice. I googled it, and found one site after another recommending a floor length dress for such an event. No problem... stopped at White House Black Market on the way to the wedding and got a gorgeous long black dress for about $60 on sale, and felt perfectly comfortable all night. I was only one of a handful of people who dressed the same (and we looked great), and those in shorter dresses didn't bother me in the least. At least I knew I was wearing what was appropriate for just such a formal occasion. And, I get to take it to wear on our Disney trip in December!!

minnie04
09-03-2013, 03:16 PM
I like that ... Google it!! ahhh NO!! I know there are millions that will Google how to dress, but others feel if they look nice in what they can afford and feel good in that should be enough. I personally will not Google how to dress to please any one. Has it really come to that. We also have a business casual dress code at work and some people will dress way up and others keep it simple. It’s all a matter of what you can afford and how you feel wearing it. AGAIN we are talking dinner on a vacation that is for the most part casual. I guess that's why they are changing the way they think. Poeple don't want the hassle & worry if they will be dressed up enough for an hour dinner.

NJGIRL
09-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Well it is settled and it doesn't matter what any of us think the dress code should be. Disney Cruise Line has spoken. I called them yesterday since the web site does not mention a change in the code.

The man that I spoke to told me that the change was made because of the overwhelming request from return guests and first timers for dining on the Disney line to be casual. BTW he also told me that the dress code NEVER applied to children in the first place, something I did not realize.

Bathing Suits, Tank Tops, and Flip Flops are still not allowed, but everything else is OK and that includes jeans, sandals, shorts, and sneakers. So now no one is breaking the rules. :thumbsup:

DVC2004
09-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Well, for one I think dressing up is misconstrued as expensive. It doesn't have to be. There are plenty of places to pick up decent special occasion clothes for cheap (Goodwill, resale shops) or even wait for sales. I also got a very nice dress from White House Black Market on clearance for $20 (was originally $160)... so it's possible, it's out there if you look for it. If one can afford a Disney Cruise, will $20, $60 really break the bank at that point?

To SurferStitch's point, I also work for a company where you cannot wear jeans. Ever. Unless it's a special fundraiser day and even then there are rules (no tears, not skin tight, may not wear gym shoes,t shirts etc with the jeans). So many rules that I just donate and wear my work clothing rather than try to build an outfit around the jeans day rules. Heck we don't even have casual Fridays at my place.

Anyway, like I said, mute point for me as I choose not to cruise for the time being.

MNNHFLTX
09-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Bathing Suits, Tank Tops, and Flip Flops are still not allowed, but everything else is OK and that includes jeans, sandals, shorts, and sneakers. So now no one is breaking the rules. :thumbsup:Sounds good. :)

Lakin
09-03-2013, 09:23 PM
I hardly see how the allowance of more casual apparel for Disney Cruise dining directly leads to America being an un-classy nation. Sounds a bit overdramatic.

Mommy2allgirls
09-03-2013, 10:51 PM
My feelings are that I don't really pay attention to what others are wearing at dinner so it doesn't matter to me. All I care about it having good service, good food, and a good time. As long as people are dressed I don't care what they are wearing

SurferStitch
09-03-2013, 11:28 PM
I like that ... Google it!! ahhh NO!! I know there are millions that will Google how to dress, but others feel if they look nice in what they can afford and feel good in that should be enough. I personally will not Google how to dress to please any one.

We just have to disagree on just about everything (apparently) pertaining to fashion, and that's just fine by me. I feel good about my style. :thumbsup:

I don't check out any old website for advice (if needed)... there are plenty of big sites like Glamour, InStyle, sites by various famous fashion designers...even Tim Gunn gives timeless advice for women from 18 to 98! There is professional advice out there on the internet. I don't dress the way I do to please anyone... just myself.

As was noted by someone else, it doesn't have to cost a lot or be uncomfortable to dress nicely and appropriately for different settings. I was able to get some gorgeous dresses at Soma for only $23 this summer, and White House Black Market for $20-$60. A couple solid color dresses can take you through a week of vacation with different shoes and accessories.

But, I give up. I'm buying my clothes, not anyone else's. People will continue to dress how they want.

minnie04
09-04-2013, 09:30 AM
I feel good about my style. :thumbsup:

That is what I was trying to say. "I feel good about my style” that's exactly what I meant by all the comments. People should always feel good about "their" style without someone (in general) looking down or making them feel they don’t have any style. I know we all pay a crazy amount of money to enjoy our vacation, but to spend even more money to dress a certain way to please others is not worth it to me.. :mickey: I just feel it’s vacation relax let your hair down and have fun!!! That’s what it’s all about in the end (at least to me)
I also get there are good buys everywhere, but when your planning a vacation and maybe shopping for a family of 5 or more it can get racked up. just saying

I guess that's why I will just skip the places that ask me to dress a certain way to have dinner..

GMRO
09-04-2013, 03:31 PM
No harm meant and not judging at all.

If the words in my posts seemed so, I was not judging anyone for their clothes or beliefs. Just attempting to make a point that rules are important. OR it would not be a rule in place for the purpose of safety or else in the first place.

Sort of like a "little-white-lie". Isn't it still a lie???

Thanks for the opinions and comments on the subject.

No worries fellow DCL cruisers and icot members!

Terra
09-24-2013, 01:26 PM
I get it totally, but my point is who are (you) we (general) to judge or look down on people that don't follow what (you0 we feel is the “norm”. IF someone feels they are dressed appropriately for THEIR own liking. Then why is it your (again general) job to look down on them or call them out on it. if the rule is dress formal and someone shows up in jeans and a shirt WHO are (you) we to say that's not their 'FORMAL" it may not be (yours) or mine, but again to each his/her own.. It’s so not worth stressing over. And I know if it's made such a big deal on here that people actually stress over it..lol

Your examples are more life threatening then a simple t-shirt and jeans. So I don't think you can compare what people wear to dinner on a disney cruise verses Texting and driving Or speeding. unless what they are wearing at the time they are doing it bothers you also.. lol

I guess i'm just not that person that really cares what others do or wear. As long as your having fun then to me it's all good...

Love this post [and others similar to it]. I agree 100%.
I'm thinking of booking our first Disney cruise in the next year or two and this makes me even more happy to read! Shorts, yay!! :)

I'm not one to judge someone by how much money they have or how they dress [in terms of class/social class]. If someone looks at me and judges me that way, well good for them. I'm so glad in the end it's not their opinion of me that counts ;)