PDA

View Full Version : Should we do it?

mudpuppysmom
08-17-2013, 12:07 PM
The kids and I have a very last minute chance to do a trip NEXT WEEK! Hubby says "JUST GO!" But when I offer the kids a few day trip somewhere closer to home and this fall a trip WITH dad and meeting up with our relatives they would like that they say. When priced out flights of course are REES DIC U LOUS!!! Throwing out some numbers....let me know if this sounds decent price wise.....we would fly from Latrobe, Pa Monday night (they only have a late afternoon flight), arrive around 9pm pick up rental car....total for that is $1175, check into POFQ on military discount, $650 and we all have tickets....would you....pick this option, fly SWA and pay more to fly in Tuesday, that makes the flight more though, plus rental (but we wouldn't have a wasted hotel night)....or fly in Monday night and just stay somewhere cheap, check into POFQ Tuesday and go like crazy until noon Saturday at which time we would need to "head that direction"? I'd really like DH to go, but is changing jobs soon, not sure of a start date and he's not sure if he could get time off....he is telling me, "JUST TAKE THEM AND GO" but I feel guilty.....advice out there?!?

hauntedmansiongirl
08-17-2013, 12:54 PM
If a fall trip is a maybe, but now is a sure thing, I would take them and go now. Only issue for me would be the crowds and heat now will be much worse than the fall.

As far as leaving Mon or Tues, I would leave the day earlier and get extra time to enjoy everything-unless the hotel cost is much more than the difference in flights.

Whatever you decide, have fun!!!

pcoleman
08-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Go for it. Go on Monday that way you get a jump on everything Tuesday.Have fun.

NJGIRL
08-17-2013, 02:34 PM
I would wait until the fall. You don't say how many are flying but that price is really high. You are paying almost $2000 for a 5 day vacation and that doesn't include food. Not to mention the heat and crowds in August.

Kenny1113
08-17-2013, 02:46 PM
If the kids prefer to stay closer to home and you want DH to be there. I would do something closer to home now and go in fall.

PETE FROM NYC
08-17-2013, 06:44 PM
For a cheap first night, try Knights Inn on 192 a mile past WDW. Stayed there for under $40

2MuchWDFun
08-18-2013, 01:43 PM
The kids and I have a very last minute chance to do a trip NEXT WEEK! Hubby says "JUST GO!" But when I offer the kids a few day trip somewhere closer to home and this fall a trip WITH dad and meeting up with our relatives they would like that they say. When priced out flights of course are REES DIC U LOUS!!! Throwing out some numbers....let me know if this sounds decent price wise.....we would fly from Latrobe, Pa Monday night (they only have a late afternoon flight), arrive around 9pm pick up rental car....total for that is $1175, check into POFQ on military discount, $650 and we all have tickets....would you....pick this option, fly SWA and pay more to fly in Tuesday, that makes the flight more though, plus rental (but we wouldn't have a wasted hotel night)....or fly in Monday night and just stay somewhere cheap, check into POFQ Tuesday and go like crazy until noon Saturday at which time we would need to "head that direction"? I'd really like DH to go, but is changing jobs soon, not sure of a start date and he's not sure if he could get time off....he is telling me, "JUST TAKE THEM AND GO" but I feel guilty.....advice out there?!?
I say "Go for it!":thumbsup::mickey:

We live in your area and are flying out of Latrobe for our WDW trip next month (yay-short drive to airport and free parking next to terminal!). We're staying at the LaQuinta Airport North using a military discount the first night since we don't get into Orlando until 8:30pm. La Quinta has a free shuttle or you can drive (since you are renting a car) from the airport; plus you get a nice breakfast the next morning. I don't know the reasons you are renting a car or how many kids you are traveling with; so the car probably makes sense.Just as an FYI--you can take the free La Quinta shuttle back to the airport early the next morning and use Magical Express to take you to Port Oleans French Quarter (that is what we're doing--we are traveling with 3 adults). I checked La Quinta for one night next week it would be $68.31/night including taxes with the military discount (please note you need to make the ressie with LaQuinta Airport North if you want to have the free shuttle--not every La Quinta in the area has the airport shuttle).

NO GUILT!! I know you'll have a blast with the kids and create some wonderful memories!