PDA

View Full Version : Steak restaurant help please...

stitchcousin
08-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Hi everyone. We are going to WDW and I am trying to plan the dining. My DS wanted to go to a steak restaurant (Shula's) and I almost fainted when I saw the prices!! Now, I know they are "Disney" prices, but I can't see how we won't spend $200+/pp there (I was looking more to $100/pp or less). Any recommendations? And preferrably not in the parks. Thank you!

mechanic
08-16-2013, 03:36 PM
just looked at menu. most entrees under $50. add side and a drink and still under 75 before tip.
i hear good things about yachtsman.
bull and bear at waldorf also.

DizneyRox
08-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Shula's aren't Disney prices, those are good steak prices...

Most of the Disney steak houses are the equivalent of an Outback Steakhouse. I didn't much care for the Yachtsman last time I went. I will say Boma made me a pretty good steak over the summer, but that was because of dietary restrictions. It wasn't even close to the quality of a Shula's...

mydisneygirls
08-16-2013, 03:51 PM
We got a great steak (meal) at Captain's Grille at the Yacht Club. It was tender and cooked just the way we like it. My girls liked it so much, they asked if we can go on our upcoming trip! I just looked at the menu and it's $30pp.

VWL Mom
08-16-2013, 04:01 PM
We finally tried Shula's in June and it was worth every penny. We had booked LeCellier and I read so many different reviews to pay the extra and go to Shula's so we did.

Our check for 4 of us was about $650 but that included a bottle of wine and 3 cocktails. Also, DS18 had the 48oz steak which was close to $100 on it's own (it was his birthday). DH and DS21 had steak, I had the lamb chops which easily could have served 2. The sides are very large, we shared 2 and I think we shared 2 Caesar salads beforehand and 2 desserts after.

We tend to balance things out, the next night we had a light meal at the Plaza. If you can swing it, go for it.

SBETigg
08-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Shula's aren't Disney prices, those are good steak prices...

Agreed, was going to say the same thing. Any high end steak house anywhere will be in the same price range. But you can get decent, if not the same quality, steak at other restaurants on property. You might not find a "steak restaurant" outside the higher price range, but quite a few restaurants offer a decent steak dish. Since you're looking for more reasonable prices, I won't suggest a signature venue, but Grand Floridian Cafe, Kona Cafe, Raglan Road, Kouzzina, and so many other places will have something to offer steak fans.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-16-2013, 04:43 PM
My son got a decent steak at Raglan Roads a couple of trips back. I hear good things about yachtmans but that's probably at least $100 a person

faline
08-16-2013, 05:53 PM
I haven't tried Shula's but have had excellent steaks at both Yachtman's Steak House and Le Cellier.

gratuspater
08-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Shulas is good, but pricey, but you can definitely both eat there for less than $200. All of the steaks are big, If I remember right, the prime rib was a 32 oz., and you can split meals there, but I don't recall the extra plate charge. Le celliar, the yachtsman, and the brown derby, were all fairly good, but outside of Shulas, the best steak that I have had on property, was the Filet, at the California Grill, If you time the reservation right, you also get a great view of wishes.

stitchcousin
08-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Definitely a lot to think about.

GoBlueLacheta
08-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Back in the day, I used to work at a Shula's, not the Disney one. The steaks are good but I've enjoyed steak entrees at California Grille and Citricos just as much.

Gordon Ramsey's Steak in Vegas is probably the best I've had.

So much depends on the cut and what you enjoy. The all around steaks at Yachtsmen's are truly better than your average local steakhouse. Outback doesn't "age" their steaks and a lot of them are flown in frozen.

Yachtsmen's Porterhouse is actually one of the more tasty ones I've had.

Main Street Jim
08-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Will you have a car and able to go off-property?

I got a *great* place for ya down in Haines City (about a half-hour southwest of WDW off of I-4).

buzznwoodysmom
08-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Have never tried Shula's, but have had great steaks at California Grill. We thought the quality at CG to be better than our local Outback.

Yachtsman was also great, but it's been a very long time so not sure if quality is still the same.

spoiledraf
08-16-2013, 10:04 PM
We've come to enjoy Narcoosee's over Yachtsman in our last few visits. And there's nothing like a good steak while watching wishes out the window! But we'll be taking in both in December. My wife wants to try Shulas. May have to look at changeing reservations to see if they live up to the comments above.

BadBoyBill
08-18-2013, 08:07 PM
Le Cellier is exceptional and you could eat there for under $100 pp if you can get a reservation.

SurferStitch
08-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Narcoossee's has amazing filet. Very tender, perfectly cooked, and delicious!

We also love the filet at Cali Grill. Melts in your mouth and you don't need anything more than a butter knife to cut it.

I've always had excellent filet at Le Cellier, too.

And, NONE of these places can be compared to a chain steak place like Outback. I think Outback steaks are pretty "meh".

disneynarula
08-21-2013, 08:26 AM
I would not consider myself a "steak person" but I enjoyed the one that I had at the Captain's Grille.

Katzateer
08-21-2013, 08:37 AM
We ate a Shula's in NYC and the prices are the same- the steak is really good. At WDW Narcossee's, California Grill, and most of the signature spots have great steaks. I always get a steak at Kona's and while it is not melt in your mouth perfection for the price the steak is very good.

VWL Mom
08-21-2013, 08:46 AM
I always get a steak at Kona's and while it is not melt in your mouth perfection for the price the steak is very good.

DS21 still says one of the best steaks he had was for breakfast (steak & eggs) at Kona.

PlutoPlanet
08-21-2013, 11:49 AM
We got a great steak (meal) at Captain's Grille at the Yacht Club. It was tender and cooked just the way we like it. My girls liked it so much, they asked if we can go on our upcoming trip! I just looked at the menu and it's $30pp.

I agree. We though Yachtman's was too expensive. Captain's Grille served a very nice Rib Eye for a better price.

Arielfan98
08-21-2013, 09:42 PM
I loved the NY Strip Steak at the Turf Club. It was served with mashed potatoes, vegetable, and lobster fondue. It was pricey at $31.99 but I loved it! That was the most expensive item on the entree menu but the lamb chops and seafood entrees were cheaper believe it or not. So if your daughter orders the strip steak and you order another entree with tap water the bill should come to about $50.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-22-2013, 02:24 PM
FYI: a coworker just came back from WDW yesterday and said they ate at Yachtsman and the steak was the best she's had in her life. I know for a fact she is a picky person when it comes to steak. Maybe its worth the price:)