PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian

RedSoxFan
08-16-2013, 07:50 AM
So with upcoming construction due to start at the Poly in September, I have changed resorts from Poly to GF for our November.

So for all the GF fans: tell me all about it. This will be our first time at a monorail resort. DH isn't too thrilled about GF; but knows it's been my dream to stay there. He thinks we should have gone back to AKL with the Poly construction. But with 30% off, it was hard to pass up GF. Although, I must admit; I'm not overly impressed with the decor of the rooms (hoping it looks better in person).

faline
08-16-2013, 08:06 AM
I think you will find the Grand Floridian not quite as stuffy as you might think it is. We stayed there once in the Boca Chico section - just by what is now the quiet pool. Our room was very large, had a huge balcony, and overlooked Narcoosee's. We could even see the higher fireworks from Wishes over the roof of Narcoosee's.

We enjoyed our stay there very much. The main building was just a short walk away. While there, we made sure we tried out some of the restaurants offered at the Grand Floridian - for example, it was the first time we dined at Citrico's (We have now returned multiple times to this restaurant). We also used the quick service location a number of times.

The boat to the Magic Kingdom is also nice and, depending on which building you are in, might be a shorter walk than heading over to the monorail.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-16-2013, 08:39 AM
I've never stayed there just have to say though it is on my bucket list enjoy:mickey:

mydisneygirls
08-16-2013, 10:15 AM
What construction? Are they building DVC's?

SBETigg
08-16-2013, 11:40 AM
The rooms are lovely, well-appointed. You get used to the Victorian touches after a day or so. Not to worry, the overall feel is always very "hotel room" and not "staying in Grandma's attic." I love the lobby, shopping, dining, lounges, beach, pools, pool bars, and ease of transportation. Gasparilla Grill is a 24 hour snack stop, which comes in handy. Feel free to be casual and comfortable. The theming does make some people feel it's stuffy, but I think it's all in your own attitude and what you bring to it.

We normally take the monorail to the MK (or TTC for Epcot) and the boat launch back from MK. The boat loop goes from MK to GF to Poly to MK. So if you take the boat from the GF to MK, you make a stop at Poly first. But coming back, you're the first stop. If you're pool people, the GF actually has it over the Poly for us. Two large, very nice pools (one quiet, one on the beach) plus hot tub. The volcano pool at the Poly seems cool in theme, but it actually feels crowded quite easily, plus the quiet pool is fairly standard, nothing special, and no hot tub.

Belle of the Ball 051411
08-16-2013, 12:46 PM
The rooms are lovely, well-appointed. You get used to the Victorian touches after a day or so. Not to worry, the overall feel is always very "hotel room" and not "staying in Grandma's attic." I love the lobby, shopping, dining, lounges, beach, pools, pool bars, and ease of transportation. Gasparilla Grill is a 24 hour snack stop, which comes in handy. Feel free to be casual and comfortable. The theming does make some people feel it's stuffy, but I think it's all in your own attitude and what you bring to it.

We normally take the monorail to the MK (or TTC for Epcot) and the boat launch back from MK. The boat loop goes from MK to GF to Poly to MK. So if you take the boat from the GF to MK, you make a stop at Poly first. But coming back, you're the first stop. If you're pool people, the GF actually has it over the Poly for us. Two large, very nice pools (one quiet, one on the beach) plus hot tub. The volcano pool at the Poly seems cool in theme, but it actually feels crowded quite easily, plus the quiet pool is fairly standard, nothing special, and no hot tub.

My thoughts echo Sherri's. We have always enjoyed our stays there. The CM's are wonderful and our encounters with other folks staying at the hotel have always been friendly. I think you're going to love it!

Keneva
08-16-2013, 01:45 PM
After avoiding the GF for the last 15 years (thought it would be to stuffy) we finally stayed there in 2012 and we really enjoyed it (with DS7 & DD11). The transportation is very good (boats, monorail, buses). The main pool is very big and never seemed busy and the "grotto" pool was a hit with the kids (although they prefered the main pool). They had a lot of kid activities like any Disney resort. We will be returing to the GF on our next trip. :mickey:

PETE FROM NYC
08-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Never stayed there , but did go for dinner last September. So fancy was the lobby that I felt like a bum just walking in.

spoiledraf
08-17-2013, 10:01 PM
We stayed there several years ago and often pass through to have dinner at Narcoosee's. I'm just a UPS man (recently retired) and I never felt out of place if that's your worry. We are actually going to stay there the first week of December, the first time in 41 years I could get off work during the holidays. Go and enjoy!

AgentC
08-18-2013, 11:47 AM
We are staying at the GF for the first time in Sept too. I am really looking forward to it and checking another resort off my must do list. :thumbsup:

Maggie T
08-18-2013, 01:13 PM
We have stayed at the GF and have tried others but we will always go back to the GF. It is peaceful and quiet. Some guest act snobbish but we could care less. The CM are always nice and they leave you alone unless you need something. Outside of fireworks at the MK it is quiet.You will enjoy