PDA

View Full Version : Disney Visa Rewards Points

JessC416
08-15-2013, 12:30 PM
I have a few questions regarding the Disney Visa and the rewards points.

1) I just booked a Disney trip for 5/14. I paid the $200 deposit on the Disney Visa. Is this no interest for 6 months?

2) The balance is due in March but if I pay partial payments over the next few months are those no interest?

3) I have approximately 70 Disney Rewards dollars. I believe those get loaded to a card and more can be loaded to the same card?

4) How do I use the Reward dollars to get gift certificates? I want to use the gift certificates to pay for food at Disney

Also, I read here I think that if you have a prescription at Target and a red card you can get a higher 10% and then use it to buy Disney gift cards. Is this true? Thanks!

faline
08-15-2013, 12:38 PM
My understanding is that packages booked and charged to a Disney Rewards card are interest free for six months. I'm not sure how the payments worked as I've never done this but I thought a read someplace that any payments you make are first put on your existing balance on the credit card and then would be applied to your package total but I could be wrong about this. I'm sure someone with more experience in this will be along shortly.

When you are ready to put your points on a card, you order a Disney rewards card from Disney. Pay attention to the expiration date on the card as any points sitting on the card will disappear on the card expiration date.

I'm not sure why you need to go the additional step of purchasing Disney gift cards to pay for your food - just present your Disney Rewards Card at the restaurant - it functions just like a debit card and points will be deducted as you use the card to pay for things like food.

In you last question, I think you are asking about purchasing discounted Disney gift cards? If so, there are some retailers who do carry these. For example, our local BJ's sells Disney gift cards for about 10% less the face value of the card.

JessC416
08-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Thank you! I didn't realize the Rewards card could be used like a debit card, can it be used for other things at Disney as well? I will keep an eye on the expiration date. I also didn't realize that BJ's sold Discounted cards! We are members so we will have to check it out.

PopPhan
08-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Thank you! I didn't realize the Rewards card could be used like a debit card, can it be used for other things at Disney as well? I will keep an eye on the expiration date. I also didn't realize that BJ's sold Discounted cards! We are members so we will have to check it out.

The Disney Rewards card(s) are just like a debit card -- you can use any amount, up to the available balance, in almost any WDW location (and the Disney Store online)

You can reload the card if you have available points on your Disney Visa account. I believe it has to be in $10 increments, but I am not positive of that.

The Rewards card, and any amount left on it, will expire at the end of the calendar year AFTER the card is ordered. I just received mine for my December 2013 trip and the expiration date is 12/31/2014.

DisneyDINK
08-15-2013, 01:49 PM
If login to Chase online, go to "show rewards" and then "show rewards details". This will get you to the rewards home. From there you can order a new rewards card which they will mail to you and you can also load it up. You can also do this by calling the toll free cardmember service number on the back of the card.

Like Faline said, rewards you transfer to the card expire with the card, but I'm sure you'll have no problem spending the balance. The card I ordered in January of 2012 doesn't expire until December of this year, so you should have pleanty of time to use it. When you order a card you must load it with a minimum of $10.00. I like to get the minimum and then load it with my full available rewards after I get the card in the mail. I usually call the (800) number while I am at WDW and have them transfer any available balance to my account too. Do it while you're on a bus or something; it takes maybe 5-10 minutes.

I usually give my card at checkout and apply the full balance to the charges I made to my KTTW card. I find that easier than using it at individual places and having to keep track of the balance. But she's right, anywhere you can use a crfedit card at the parks you can pay with the rewards carde too.

I hope that helps.

Have fun!

WishingStar2006
08-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Back to your Disney VISA question....the $200 deposit is interest free for 6 months as well as the rest of the package, when you charge it, is interest free for 6 months (two different 6 month periods). Any payments you make will go towards the "non-Disney vacation" amount first and then the interest free part. You're statement each month will show you how much you have charged is on the promotion of 0% and how much is regular. If not paid in full within the 6 months, then interest rates will apply.

Have fun!

KylesMom
08-15-2013, 01:58 PM
1) I just booked a Disney trip for 5/14. I paid the $200 deposit on the Disney Visa. Is this no interest for 6 months?

As long as you booked a package and not a room only reservation, this is correct.

2) The balance is due in March but if I pay partial payments over the next few months are those no interest? Once again, this is correct provided you've booked a minimum package. Your package is broken out separately than your regular CC charges - it will note non-interest charges, payments applied, etcetera. Kind of hard to explain, but they do track it very nicely.

disneynarula
08-15-2013, 02:49 PM
You can order the card with your Rewards Dollars on them from Chase. Once you have the card you can add any rewards dollars you earn as long as the card is not expired.

It works just like a debit card so you really don't need to order gift certificates.

JessC416
08-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Thank you! I just paid the deposit so it hasn't appeared on my statement yet. It was a room + tickets package so all set on that front too.

vamaggie
08-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Can you order more than one rewards card or can you only have one active at at time? We are going in Nov and I have been putting the rewards on one card to pay for food while there. Wanted to get a card for each kid too to put some spending money on. (we are getting close to what I expect to pay for food and may not always be together in the parks).
Thanks!

GoBlueLacheta
08-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Kind of piggybacking off another question here, but can you use reward points/gift cards for gratuity at disney restaurants ?

KylesMom
08-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Can you order more than one rewards card or can you only have one active at at time? We are going in Nov and I have been putting the rewards on one card to pay for food while there. Wanted to get a card for each kid too to put some spending money on. (we are getting close to what I expect to pay for food and may not always be together in the parks).
You are issued one active card per account. In your case if you want to give each kid a card, you would then best be served by purchasing gift cards for them. :mickey:

vamaggie
08-16-2013, 06:38 PM
You are issued one active card per account. In your case if you want to give each kid a card, you would then best be served by purchasing gift cards for them. :mickey:

Can I use the Rewards Card to purchase gift cards--either online or at a Disney Store?

N2DisneyWorld
08-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Yes, you can transfer your rewards card balance to a gift card at the Disney Store. I do it all the time for guests whose Rewards card is about to expire. Must be a minimum of $5 though.

VWL Mom
08-21-2013, 08:48 PM
Kind of piggybacking off another question here, but can you use reward points/gift cards for gratuity at disney restaurants ?

Yes you can

disneynarula
08-23-2013, 06:12 AM

You can use the card anywhere on property that will take a credit card.

yjgirl32
08-23-2013, 08:01 AM
How long does it take to get the rewards card?

BrerGnat
08-23-2013, 09:54 AM
How long does it take to get the rewards card?

Under a week.

N2DisneyWorld
08-25-2013, 09:36 PM
You can also get a rewards card from guest services & call & have your points transferred to it. I had to do that during my last trip.

yjgirl32
08-26-2013, 08:02 AM
thank you.

Figment104
08-27-2013, 09:32 AM
One other thing. Once you have your rewards card you can transfer any amount on to it (there is no minimum). When ordering the card there is a minimum ($20 I believe), but after that, what ever is available can be transferred in any amount.

LVT
09-04-2013, 08:15 PM
I always get 2 cards. :thumbsup:

vamaggie
09-06-2013, 07:41 AM
I always get 2 cards. :thumbsup:

How do you do this? I have tried and have been told that you can only have one rewards card at a time.

azcavalier
09-06-2013, 09:09 AM
You can also get a rewards card from guest services & call & have your points transferred to it. I had to do that during my last trip.

Yep, we've done this the last two trips. It's painless. Just present your Disney Visa and a photo ID at the Guest Services desk at any park or DTD, and they will give you a blank rewards card. Then you call the number on the card, tell them your CC account number, and they will load the card with your reward dollars.

We always have two rewards cards, because we have two Disney Visa cards. One is our "normal" card, with a large limit, and the other is limited to $500, and we use this for internet purchases as much as possible. That way, if it ever gets hacked/stolen, they can only rack up $500 worth of stuff.

LVT
09-07-2013, 09:11 AM
I have 3 users with the same account number. Maybe that is why. I never asked. My limit is 2 with the on-line reward system. Sorry to not be useful.

Dulcee
09-07-2013, 09:50 AM
We always have two rewards cards, because we have two Disney Visa cards. One is our "normal" card, with a large limit, and the other is limited to $500, and we use this for internet purchases as much as possible. That way, if it ever gets hacked/stolen, they can only rack up $500 worth of stuff.

Huh, that is a smart idea. I don't know why I never thought of it. I don't store my credit card info on any shopping sites because it makes me nervous having dealt with online fraud before..