PDA

View Full Version : New smoking policy aboard DCL

Christine
08-14-2013, 10:13 PM
I got this email today from DCL- I personally think it's great news.

Dear Christine,

Thank you for booking a Disney Cruise Line vacation.

As you may be aware, our ships are primarily designated as non-smoking ships. However, we recognized that some Guests smoke and strive to make a comfortable and enjoyable environment for all of our Guests.

From time to time, we make adjustments to our operation based on Guest feedback and are making a change to our smoking policy. While Guests have never been permitted to smoke in their staterooms, effective November 15, 2013, Guests will no longer be permitted to smoke on stateroom verandahs. Each ship will continue to offer open-air public spaces designated as smoking areas. Information on designated smoking areas can be found on our website at https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/health-safety/smoking.

Thank you again for sailing with us. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-14-2013, 10:55 PM
Personally, I like it too!

The smoke could really travel between balconies, so I think this is great for our family.

marlyn
08-14-2013, 11:58 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Basket Mommy
08-15-2013, 12:07 AM
Hallelujah. I hate having to go back inside my room because someone nearby (or even several decks above or below) is smoking on their verandah.

MarkC
08-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Agree this is good news, but they need to go a step farther and ban in completely. The areas they have it now (on the Magic anyway) are close to the pool and there are countless times that I've had to walk through it on the way to the pool. Come on folks this is 2013. I shouldn't have to breathe cigarette smoke on an expensive ship.

Hammer
08-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Agree this is good news, but they need to go a step farther and ban in completely. The areas they have it now (on the Magic anyway) are close to the pool and there are countless times that I've had to walk through it on the way to the pool. Come on folks this is 2013. I shouldn't have to breathe cigarette smoke on an expensive ship.

As Disney is an international destination, and that includes their cruise line, they are going to want to accommodate their international travelers with designated smoking areas. Yes, it is 2013, but there are still many European and Asian countries where smoking is more commonplace.

faline
08-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Got the same e-mail this morning as well!

Christine
08-15-2013, 11:27 AM
I definitely did not want to start the smoking battle/issue/argument-
But thought this was important news for ppl when deciding what kind of stateroom to buy. If you're a smoker and wanted to get a verandah thinking you would be able to enjoy smoking on your balcony, you might choose to reconsider that room type

I don't know about banning it altogether- the thought of being out at sea with a bunch of smokers who can't smoke for days is scary- i am picturing my dad- he'd be pacing, biting off heads as he spoke, and eating all the food! Lol!! It'd be like me without chocolate!!!

I do think it's a good decision, personally, as I like to stay on my verandah a LOT and keep our door cracked when it's cool at night- I don't want smoke wafting into my room from verandas in te area.

Also, I had a verandah on the Dream that had an ashtray that was not emptied before we got the room. It was cracked open and when we got out on the open waters I had ashes and butts blown all over the verandah floor -Yuck!!

So this can help contain the janitorial aspect of it. I didn't find the smoking section to be obtrusive at my last cruise on Magic. I would just walk on the opposite side if it did bother me.

Imalismom
08-15-2013, 12:18 PM
I got the same email and came over to post - Christine thanks for getting it posted right away!

Hammer
08-15-2013, 12:30 PM
I don't know about banning it altogether- the thought of being out at sea with a bunch of smokers who can't smoke for days is scary- i am picturing my dad- he'd be pacing, biting off heads as he spoke, and eating all the food! Lol!! It'd be like me without chocolate!!! .

LOL, that would be my sister. I would fear that she would harm me if she wasn't able to smoke anywhere when we vacation together!

I do think it's a good decision, personally, as I like to stay on my verandah a LOT and keep our door cracked when it's cool at night- I don't want smoke wafting into my room from verandas in te area.

Also, I had a verandah on the Dream that had an ashtray that was not emptied before we got the room. It was cracked open and when we got out on the open waters I had ashes and butts blown all over the verandah floor -Yuck!!

So this can help contain the janitorial aspect of it. I didn't find the smoking section to be obtrusive at my last cruise on Magic. I would just walk on the opposite side if it did bother me.

I agree that I think this is a good policy to institute. It is consistent with the policy at the WDW resorts where smoking on Balconies is not permitted.

Christine, that is horrible that they left the ashtray out on the verandah and it was not emptied! I hope they fixed that for you ASAP!

Christine
08-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Christine, that is horrible that they left the ashtray out on the verandah and it was not emptied! I hope they fixed that for you ASAP!

They did once we discovered it- and mopped and everything.
Gotta have it clean so I can have my coffee out there in my pjs every morning! :D :cloud9:

GMRO
08-15-2013, 02:58 PM
They did once we discovered it- and mopped and everything.
Gotta have it clean so I can have my coffee out there in my pjs every morning! :D :cloud9:

We noticed our small ashtray was a bit messy when we got in our room this past May2013 too. Since we don't smoke because we have a nicotine need...this won't deter us from choosing a veranda. The morning breakfasts and sights and sounds while sitting outside make it all worth the while.

But I will miss the evening cigar with the customary glass of wine but I’ve enjoyed them on the deck in the adult area/smoking side just the same. Plus it is nice to just grab a drink at CURRENTS on the DREAM and sit back and burn one. At times you even meet some great folks too. We always made sure we cleaned up after our cigars. Usually used a plastic or paper cup 1/2 filled with water to control the ash from flying. Standing up ruins the enjoyment and having your ashes hit the deck or fly next door is just plain rude. Shame more folks who partake in smoking are a little cleaner with their habit. ;)

Guess this will be on the list of bothersome things that can tax the vacation fun for some.

1) Parents with bad kids who are mis-behaved in public.

2) Adults who don’t know when they have had enough to drink and become obnoxious.

3) Smoking, creating 2ndary smoke for those who don't smoke.

So it seems 1 out of these 3 is now being addressed by the DCL. What about the other 2?

It will be interesting how this plays out with the international travelers.

Scar
08-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Sounds to me that Disney has decided they can make more money by pleasing the non-smokers than by accomodating the smokers. If they can, then kudos. I'm sure there are many other cruises, probably cheaper than Disney, that a smoker can enjoy.

LVT
09-04-2013, 08:30 PM
If these cruises are so full, could there be entirely smoke free ones? The logistics could be cumbersome, but should be do-able.
It seems like an unfilled need.

Arielfan98
09-05-2013, 12:48 AM
If these cruises are so full, could there be entirely smoke free ones? The logistics could be cumbersome, but should be do-able.
It seems like an unfilled need.

I wish I could agree with you and I am 100% against smoking. But unfortunately not everyone is against smoking and obviously there are smokers. I myself do not like the idea of smokers harming children and adults of all ages with second hand smoking but smokers will always exist. Therefore, I think this new rule is a fair compromise of course with the smoking areas on board. Disney must be able to accommodate all their guests.

Zawadi
09-07-2013, 03:21 AM
When we started going on cruises, with NCL, the setup was port side staterooms were non-smoking - brilliant!

Unfortunately, NCL relaxed this and I still hate being allocated a stateroom with residual smoke despite the best "efforts" of the stewards.

On P&O, the public decks only have ashtrays on the starboard side.

We've still got to try DCL!

Tekneek
09-07-2013, 06:37 AM
As a person who has an aversion to cigarette smoke, I probably wouldn't be able to use a room/veranda that had been used by smokers. I begin to get physically ill within a short amount of time if I am unable to get away from it. It is extremely difficult to get that smell out of a structure once there has been a lot of exposure.

My2Sons
09-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Why is it that no one ever addresses the issue of perfume? I find that just as offensive, if not more so, than cigarette smoke. (I am not a smoker - nor do I like smoke). However, smoke goes away once the cigarette is put out. But perfume lingers - especially if the wearer is say, seated beside you at a show - or behind you at dinner, etc. I have had many a meal ruined because the diner nearby had such strong perfume on it interfered with the taste of our food.

Some people have allergies and actual trouble breathing when exposed to strong scents. I have gotten many intense headaches from the strong perfumes being worn by others.

It just strikes me as odd that smoking is considered such an offensive behavior, but forcing everyone around you to have to bear the offensive smell of strong perfume, is not.

If we're going to ban smokers because some people don't like it - maybe we should ban perfume as well. Just a thought.

Tekneek
09-08-2013, 07:22 PM
However, smoke goes away once the cigarette is put out.

I understand the point you're making about perfume, but this claim is not accurate. It stays on the clothes, skin, and breath of smokers for quite some time. When I worked in a large building, I was thankful that smokers rarely took the stairs (and stopped taking the elevators because I would be sick from the smell of smokers returning from their smoke breaks). I had previously thought that only smokers were unaware of this odor, but it seems others may not be able to smell it either.

My2Sons
09-08-2013, 09:47 PM
I had previously thought that only smokers were unaware of this odor, but it seems others may not be able to smell it either.

Point taken. When my MIL smoked, my kids would need a bath after returning from a visit to her home. So you're right - it does linger. I guess it just doesn't seem to be as hard to take (for me) as the perfume.

In a perfect world, there would be no such thing as perfume or cigarettes. I just think it's unfair that people (not you - but many people in general) are so quick to slam smokers and treat them like lepers, but they don't ever raise an eyebrow about the perfume issue.

Just my two cents. Since one of my kids has asthma, we try to avoid cigarettes AND perfume.

Tekneek
09-09-2013, 07:37 AM
In a perfect world, there would be no such thing as perfume or cigarettes. I just think it's unfair that people (not you - but many people in general) are so quick to slam smokers and treat them like lepers, but they don't ever raise an eyebrow about the perfume issue.

When it comes to the most obvious health issues, the harmful nature of the cigarette smoke is well documented and proven. The other issues, such as what I experience and sensitivities to other strong odors, is not as well documented or understood amongst the general population. Many seem to suspect that a person is just pretending or has some other agenda if they complain about having difficulty with these things.

All I can say is that an adjustment may come in time. It has taken very many years for it to become a social norm that non-smoking is the expected default. Bringing a powerful odor with you is a rude thing to do, but I suspect most people don't do it with malicious intent.

My2Sons
09-09-2013, 11:44 AM
You are probably right. I had to chuckle picturing someone wearing perfume with "malicious intent." Picturing someone spraying on a scent and thinking "ha ha! I will offend as many people as I can!" That does present a silly picture. ;)

That being said, I think it's important to remember that most smokers are not out to hurt other people, either. They are addicted. It is sad, but it is a fact. And the tobacco companies seem to like it that way. So let's not be so quick to attack the smokers themselves. They have an addiction.

I have to agree with the poster before me who wrote:

Guess this will be on the list of bothersome things that can tax the vacation fun for some.

1) Parents with bad kids who are mis-behaved in public.

2) Adults who don’t know when they have had enough to drink and become obnoxious.

3) Smoking, creating 2ndary smoke for those who don't smoke.

So it seems 1 out of these 3 is now being addressed by the DCL. What about the other 2?

The world would be a better place if we all had a little more consideration for those around us.

Interesting discussion. :thumbsup: