PDA

View Full Version : Gratuity

mydisneygirls
08-13-2013, 12:11 PM
buzzandwoodysmom got me thinking from a separate post.

What percent do you tip at buffets/sit down dinners? I know in prior years, the waitperson was very thankful when I tipped 20% at buffets.

SBETigg
08-13-2013, 12:18 PM
I almost always tip twenty percent or more. On very few occasions, I have tipped fifteen percent. For us, we will tip the same for buffets as for sit down meals. Sometimes, I even tip on takeout.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-13-2013, 12:20 PM
I think when we've been down on the free DDP that I've tended to leave around 20% when we've done things like Crystal Palace or Chef Mickey's or Boma.

If I was paying OOP, and the only service I was getting was drink refills and clearing plates, while I still might leave the 20%, I don't think I'd feel guilty leaving less as the level of service is lower and usually less frequent than a normal sit down restaurant. Most likely it would be at or around 15% unless the service was exceptionally great or poor.

mydisneygirls
08-13-2013, 12:25 PM
That's what I figured. I always tip 20% at all places. Boy, I'd love to be a waitress at the World!

magicofdisney
08-13-2013, 12:45 PM
When we're eating at buffets, I have waitstaff at my table way more often than when it's a non-buffet. They're constantly clearing plates and refilling our drinks (at least generally speaking). It's been my experience they've earned that 20% despite me getting my own food. Occasionally there are exceptions. We're a family of 5-6 (depending on who's traveling) so we're large enough to keep them hopping. :)

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-13-2013, 01:37 PM
I tip an average of 20%, if the service is not so good I may dip down to 15% and if its exceptional I go up to 25%. Doesn't matter buffet or not, its the level of service I receive that is the deciding factor.:mickey:

JerseyDad
08-13-2013, 03:20 PM
.....we do 20% as a base line ...with more if the service is exceptional. And ...at buffet's ...they generally get you beverages (either soft drinks or the adult variety) ...so a tip is warranted.

....that said ....here's a brain twister: How do you tip at a counter service dining spot ...that really isn't a counter service dining spot?

...case in point: Wolfgang Puck Express in DtD. You order your food ...get only your drink ...then sit ...and they bring the food. We had a really great dining experience there last fall ....for a party of 9 ...which included my 16 yr old autistic nephew. Our 'server' actually set up a table inside next to the open kitchen (great spot ...because I love the workings of a restaurant) ...and besides bringing the food ....got us our drink refills ...made sure my nephew's pasta was just the way he liked it ....and literally waited on us to no end.

I'd guess it's sort of a dilemma ...when it's technically a counter service establishment ...but yet ...we have always tipped there.

...btw ...we gave the girl a $35 tip

disneynarula
08-14-2013, 03:35 AM
It depends...

We are a large party so we always get the automatic tip applied. Unless someone goes over the top we don't do any extra. I understand that this is not the waitstaff's fault but that's the way it is.

Once we had such terrible service at a buffet I had to talk to a manager and have the tip taken off. We sat in a pile of dirty dishes and had to seek out other waitstaff for drink refills. I refused to pay for service I did not receive. This is the one and only time I refused to pay a gratuity.

DANAM
08-14-2013, 08:25 AM
I agree with other our base is 20% and most TS that's what I leave. For buffets if service is good to excellent I do 20% but if we dont get refils or plates removed I will leave 15%. In Disney we are prepaired for anything. Several times I have left over 20% because service wad that good at a buffet. And there have been times it killed me to leave any tip at all. No refils and never cleared a plate. And it wasnt just our table you could see all the tables around us were the same. I blame management how xan you walk around a restaurant and see that and not question the wait staff about it?

Ms. Mode
08-14-2013, 09:30 AM
We pay 20% or above unless the service is just REALLY bad, then we pay less...but not much less.

To the CS that really isn't a CS I would add Pepper Market. We tipped there too. :thumbsup:

miltimo5
08-14-2013, 12:21 PM
it seems like my answer is the norm...almost always 20% i round up if the service is exceptional...down slightly if not good service....

Belle of the Ball 051411
08-14-2013, 01:34 PM
it seems like my answer is the norm...almost always 20% i round up if the service is exceptional...down slightly if not good service....

This. :)

mechanic
08-14-2013, 04:27 PM
im a good tipper. at least i think so.
but at a buffet i do $2-3 pp.

mydisneygirls
08-15-2013, 09:38 AM
I don't ever recall bad service at any of the restaurants. Last year though at Captain's Grille when dessert time came, we waited and waited and waited. I said to my daughters, what the heck it's not like it's super crowded...I wonder what's going on. Well, it was daughters birthday and the waitress had someone go and get a special dessert somewhere on the Boardwalk. When she finally came to the table with it, she apologized for the wait but the smile on daughters face was worth it. I did tip extra at that meal.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-15-2013, 11:12 AM
We tipped at Wolfgang puck express too and pepper market

Dulcee
08-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Are disney wait staff paid the normal reduced waiter/waitress hourly rate? Are buffet staff paid differently?

We normally tip 20% across the board.... However in the case of the described counter service to your table we don't tip. I assume those individuals are not paid the reduced wait staff rate but rather at least minimum wage.

GoBlueLacheta
08-15-2013, 01:41 PM
People in the World must tip well, as you can notice many of the same waitstaff remain throughout a plethora of restaurants. The bartender at the lounge outside Ohana, sorry name escapes me at the moment, said the most junior person behind the bar had been there for 9 years.

I tend to start at %50 and then take off %5 for every issue that is worth noting. At Disney, this is fairly rare. Buffets I do tend to tip a straight 20% which seems to be the common thing to do.

Disney buffets or family style service tend to be the only real buffets I attend outside of Vegas so the level of service is a definite reason for that.

mydisneygirls
08-20-2013, 12:39 PM
I remember back in 2007 we were at Chef Mickey's. Our waitress was very friendly and we began chatting. She told me that he used to live in FL but her husband had gotten a job in the north. She said she flew down on the weekends (stayed with friends) because she didn't want to give up the job and could make a weeks pay in one weekend at Disney (waitressing of course). Also heard that it's extremely hard to get a waitressing job because just don't leave!

Oh, and I think they do make minimum wage.

PennyC
11-29-2014, 01:08 AM
Honestly, I don't follow a specific percentage in giving out tips. I would depend on the excellence of the service they provided us. Sometimes, I don't give out tips especially if the server does not perform well in his job. BUt if one deserves a tip, I don't hesitate in giving them the amount they need. It used to be that everyone paid with cash, or possibly a check, for everything, everywhere. However, we now live in the credit and debit card era and are heading for mobile payments, but one should constantly try to tip waiters with cash wherever possible.

1DisneyNut
11-29-2014, 08:11 AM
For buffets where I get my own food, I don't really go by a percentage of the final bill. I go by what I feel they deserved for the service rendered. All they have to do is make sure I have something to drink, I couldn't care less if they clear plates since I only use one or two. Also, I usually pay the bill with a card but leave the waiter/waitress a tip in cash. That way the credit card transaction fees do not come out of their tip and also they can file their taxes however they wish.